Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot preacher. A muppet's review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

Well. I went to Snowfactor in Glasgow today and before I went in I bought a pair of socks and Zardoz in Ellis Brigham and had a chat about off piste skis to complement my Rossi Zenith 10's (which are getting a bit old now).

While in the snow dome I decided to get a coffee and at the point of getting a coffee I thought Why don't I nip out and see if EB have the Whitedot Preacher I was looking at. So I borrowed them.

Now here is the muppet bit...... I'd seen Whitedots on the website but had no recollection what the dimensions of the different colours were and I didn't ask in EB. I just took the ones that were thinner than the others.

So there you have it. I've got a big fat 155 - 112 - 133 ski (I had the 179 length) in a snow dome and I've never been off piste or on a fat ski like this in the past.

Well they were amazing. One blast to feel the width (now now Boris, you must resist) and then run after run deliberately picking the slushy and bumpy bits. Then runs on the icy bit in the middle, no problem just gripped and turned. I was picking a longer curve but I was amazed how nimble and how stable they are at speed (well snow dome speed). I recon they would be really good on a piste going like the clappers.

So if you are like me and are considering a fatter ski for a bit of 1st-time off piste and soft stuff beside the piste...... and like me you thought about 90 in the middle is a max you could handle.... think again. A whitedot preacher at 155 - 112 - 133 is so easy to ski. No struggle, no scary moments etc etc. Just smooth and forgiving.

I'm getting a set.

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-05-14 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome, stoked you like them!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
glasgowcyclops, I've been on these for 4 years now and I still grin like an idiot regularly at their performance. Incredible do everything planks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All.

Can you recommend a binding for these skis. I'm getting a pair in a couple of weeks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi glasgowcyclops, you can chuck any binding on them, but I regularly use the Marker Duke on my CarbonLite3's for ease of access to lines. Tyrolia do a really nice binding line, light weight and well build with the Peak and AAA series; however I've always been partial to the VIST line as the higher end have great reliability without being too heavy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am still struggling to understand how you can get a good idea of a ski in a fridge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why put Dukes on carbon lites ? Get the dynafits on them,most people will not out ski them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
I am still struggling to understand how you can get a good idea of a ski in a fridge.

I can understand your struggle... And I would not be able to form a perfect opinion in a dome.

The reason I went to the fridge is simple. I wish to become good off piste, well on the soft stuff off to the side to start with. So I will initially be on/off the piste to start with. I would like to get a ski of my own and I don't mind replacing them in a while. Therefore, I want ski that I can learn on that will also perform on piste so I can have an option of both modes. Also, I may find that I don't like the soft stuff and therefore a ski that can double up would be ideal. I'd be going on a bash, spending time on piste then a little excursion off on the soft stuff and rejoining the snowHead for the rest on piste.

I've read the reviews and opinions on how they float and most say they are great, but I don't have the facility to try them on a full blown test on the hill. I can buy them at this time of year at a good price, so even if I don't like them and sell after a week at a bash, I would not be out of pocket by anything I need to worry about (EG I don't need to rent to test in resort).

I tried the skis in the dome purely for the feel on the piste. I can get a reasonable view (though not perfect) of how they would react on the piste from that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, glasgowcyclops, I have tested lots of skis in the domes, while its not the real mountain you can get a really good understanding of what the skis do in different conditions, as long as you follow a routine on the different skis being tested.

The only exception I have had is taking the Whitedot Redeemers in a 190, through poles in the dome, now that really is fun but make sure your knees are up to it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glasgowcyclops, oh absolutely fair enough and sound reasoning.

livetoski, having only experienced the fridge once (Braehead) and having not taken my own boots I suspect that my opinion is mostly coloured by how completely crap the boots were. As I said at the time, no wonder it's so hard to learn to ski shen there's practically no coupling between foot and boot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy