Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you buying needless kit for your skiing trip?

Poster: A snowHead
kevin mcclean, goggles with turbo fans are fantastic, don't know about books and videos, if someone can't explain to me what they're doing, why do I need a book. Ski socks are so important, have you no sensitivity? Boot dryers are great, don't knock it until you've tried it, you sound as if we should all be skiing on wooden planks at least 217cms tall with leather boots. Have you done that, because if you had you'd definitely want to use all the latest improvements in technology, I know I do. Do you ski in plus fours and a Norfolk jacket, because if you do there's a place for you in our end of season race where fancy dress is obligatory.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boring, I know but apart from protecting the soles of your boots, Cat Tracks make walking down icy steps in ski boots a much less hazardous experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And if you loop them through your boots power strap and pull trousers over the top they dont take up room in your pockets or get in the way whilst skiing Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the risk of extending the scope of this debate, am I the only 'reasonably intelligent' (and I use that sobriquet loosely and in good humour!) male who finds all the technobabble used to 'sell' skis frankly embarrassing? I am looking for a pair of planks for my SO, and after reading a few pages of pseudo-scientific BS in the snow+rock catalogue, decided it might be easier just to choose a pair based on the colour (which, to be honest, is going to be her biggest decision point).
Given that I work in an industry renowned for its techno-slavery, love of acronyms, obeisance to continual upgrades beyond any rational need (yup, I work in IT!).... even I find all that techno-babble just unbelievable.
Does an aluminium "sharks nose" insert make a difference. What if it was Titanium. Maybe with little holes drilled out (so there's less of it... but are they charging more this year for less Ti. And the less said about FAT the better...
Call me a cynic, but AFAIK a ski (or a board) is a plank of wood with some metal edges and a slippery bottom.... the only really functional addition I'm aware of is that (now unfashionable) 'active' Piezo panel that was supposed to damp out vibrations - at least that was based on proven physics.
Tell me I'm missing the point....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hamilton, But that would be like someone asking someone in IT to recomend a PC (well their all the same arn't they - just keyboards and screens and stuff) to just do stuff wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ummm, boot dryers might need them for my appartment. Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
er, ... as someone who's just ordered a new case and mouse to house a pc that is perfectly functional, I understand. The case was purchased for purely practical reasons (it's especially quiet).... the fact that it is piano black and has a 'tasteful' blue fan is neither here nor there.... or that the mouse is a matching shade of blue (ok, so it has a laser-based tracking device, none of those dust-attracting balls for _me_, thankyou very much).
Now where did I see those carbon-wrapped, titanium plated, nano-techno-enlightened and iPod compatible skis..... see, its insidious!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hamilton, I can tell alot from a ski if it has aluminum inserts or titanium. The titanium version will be more expensive. Wink

Some of these things mean something to some of us though. Ie wood core vs foam, I can tell the difference when I ski them, same goes with grades of consrtruction. I want a sandwich construction ski, I prefer it when my skis have titanium topsheets or various other ways of making a ski feel and perform...

Maybe it's just what you do with the information. I use it when making ski purchase decisions. Snow n Rock et al read it and then spin loads of poorly written copy around it to make it all sales speak and marketing flash...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hamilton, Have a look in Fall Line magazine, they have a listing of varius skis
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistermouse,
thanks for the tip, will look out for said mag.
And just to reassure everyone, I won't _just_ be using colour as my selection criteria (have been perusing the equipment forum on snowheads, amongst others..... it may very well be that Snow + Rock wasn't the best place to start.

Parlor, I don't doubt that some of the different compositions affect the way the equipment behaves.... I just question the integrity of the advertising (for example, I'm sure Titanium makes a great topsheet - but what sort of Titanium? Is it actually any better than (oh, think of a potential equivalent) Tungsten. It's a bit like saying 'well, gold is gold, wether from Asprey's or Elizabeth Duke....' <grin>
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hamilton, have you ever seen a commercial for shampoo? Or expensive moisturising cream?

You know - things that are targetted at the fairer sex?

I think I've got it sussed - men buy based on engineering techno-babble - women buy based on chemistry techno-babble.

Obviously we need skis with a piezo-activated titanium rod that has organo-sulphaic nutrient enhancing micropore triple anion complexes.

In blue.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hamilton, I learned on skinny skis many years ago. Shaped skis are a hoot to use. My outlook on the technobabble is that I need all the help I can get, some of it works, some is marketing. I have reached the stage where I can tell the difference between types/models of ski, and I know what I want to achieve. Put Bode Miller on 2 beer trays and he would ski better than me, I need the technology to get half way there!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lbt,
I think we're on the same wavelength....

I'd be interested to know how successful the techno-babble approach has been with women... I can't help feeling that the same little group who invent all the skiing words also invent all the 'potion' words (not least becase as cosmetics are not allowed to make medical claims, they invent even more pseudo-science)

maybe I'm just a professional cynic [looks at job description] - guess what, I _am_ a professional cynic (aka Auditor).

oh well, at least the snow is easy to understand...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lbt, does it come in yellow Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, any colour you like....

so long as it's blue Wink
latest report
Hydration sysyems are brilliant Very Happy - rode with one for the first time last year. As said above no faffing about with getting a bottle out - you end up sipping more often because it's there. It's a lot easier to carry - I used to carry 1/2 litre of drink with me, which wasn't really enough - now I can easily carry 2l. Was gutted when I lost the drinking nozzle thing last year - was reordered pretty quick I can tell you! Wouldn't be without one now!
ski holidays
I obviously stand massively corrected! Apologies to you all, I have seen the light and it is a true revelation!
snow report
Downside with the Bladder is that in cold weather, the water in the pipe freezes, and you don't get a drin, even with the insulation and the pipe routed through ruck sack straps. I ended up carrying a bottle of water as well.

Whats wrong with the Tchibo £10 Googles. Just bought a pair, as a spare, now wondering whether to buy my primary pair of Oakleys.!
ski holidays
BOD, hold the pipe up in the air after you use it, pinch the mouthguard, the column of liquid drops out of the pipe so it can't freeze up, sorted.
snow report
Quote:

BOD, hold the pipe up in the air after you use it, pinch the mouthguard, the column of liquid drops out of the pipe so it can't freeze up, sorted.

Thanks will try that. Made the mistake of blowing back down the pipe and filling the bladder with air, then had to take everything off to relieve the pressure. Your idea seems obvious and simple.
snow conditions
parlor, that was what my youngest said when we went to get him kitted out today - the black boots didnt fit properly but the yellow ones did - the red helmet didnt fit right but the yellow one did - the skis - yellow ............. rolling eyes
snow report
obelix67, obviously an embryonic snowHead then Wink

And you won't lose him...
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
T-Dub, does that mean your skis are horizontal or vertical?

vertical.
snow report
T-Dub, We've got some loops like that. Ours are made from a plastic coated wire and a nylon sling. £10 from the ski show last year from one of these disability workshop groups (which is the only reason I bought it - but it turned out to be fairly good).
At the end of the day I prefer the traditional method but Mrs lbt prefers the loop.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy