Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you buying needless kit for your skiing trip?

Poster: A snowHead
The ski industry's capacity for reinvention and introduction of perfectly useless products is legendary, isn't it. You'd think that once you have purchased the essentials that'd be it. But how many of us go out and buy things that we really have no call and use for on the slopes?

I can think of a few items, certainly, like those daft rubber walking devices you're supposed to put on your boots before walking down the street. Goodness knows how fiddly they must be to put on. What about those jackets and back-packs with built in 'hydration systems'? Why not carry a bottle of water with you? The daftest invention of all, in my estimation, is the continuous pursuit of the so called 'holy grail': the device that allows you to carry your skis with ease. I recommend slinging them over your shoulder.

On top of all of this are those who constantly update their core items each year (or every other year) in the belief that if they get 'this piece of kit' they'll magically become Ali Ross. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

I'm now going down the shops to buy all of this.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, Laughing I agree!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean wrote:

I can think of a few items, certainly, like those daft rubber walking devices you're supposed to put on your boots before walking down the street. Goodness knows how fiddly they must be to put on.

Are those the same things that stop the soles of your boots wearing down, especially if you've paid lots to have them planed? Or are they the things that let you walk better in your (new fangled stiff plastic) boots without slipping over? wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-12-05 20:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski naked

And why bother with ski poles?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or skis, for that matter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
when talking about ski essentials, I ask myself why did you just buy anther ski hat?? when I have 30 already????
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, part of the pleasure is buying shiny new kit.

There is an excellent ski suit in Paul Smith in Nottingham, £1000 total. I was so tempted. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm very sure there is a good reason for men not to go on naturist walks in the Alps. Shocked Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What about those jackets and back-packs with built in 'hydration systems'? Why not carry a bottle of water with you?

Because you can save at least 30 seconds every time you want a sip of water on a slope whilst waiting for your slower (less well hydrated) mates to catch up!

hmm.. on reflection it is fairly pointless.. doh!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, for that you could buy a Spyder limited edition iPod jacket...
...or if that doesn't take your fancy, you could buy me one rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The more shiny kit the better, mayas well look the part whilst falling over
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hydrations systems ? why ? - they're great! No faffing about getting a bottle out, great for just 'whetting the whistle' - particularly convenient on lifts but just generally when you need a quick drink....

Not every thing new fangled is a bad idea you know !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My boots have only had 2 weeks use and there is wear on the sole front already - perhaps I should get those walking grips Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S, I love all my 'bladder packs , i find i actually drink more than if i carry a bottle
Scarpa, yep there good to help stop you falling over after apres
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use my hydration pack year round, I can easily drink a 3l pack on a two hour bike ride, and it means I feel less exhausted at the end rathe than absolutely knackered!

some of those things you say do ring bells though!
snow conditions
All my kit gets used, with the exception of my avalanche gear, which I sincerely hope remains forever "virgin" (other than testing/practising of course).
snow report
Needless things for skiing?
Would that include membership of a business, sorry "club"?

You don't need to be in a "club" to ski!
ski holidays
Skis less than 80mm underfoot....................? Twisted Evil
snow report
Yeah but I couldn't resist a soft shell jacket, spare double screen goggles and a decent pair of ski socks at £35 all-in from Tchibo.

Did I need any of them - no. Will I use them - well maybe not the goggles. I hope never even when senile to buy a ski carrying device that is not a rucksack

Hydration packs are pretty good - so much easier to keep sipping than getting out a water bottle & far less bulky than carrying a rucksack to carry your water in if you're just cruising pistes.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yeah yeah yeah
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
My boots have only had 2 weeks use and there is wear on the sole front already - perhaps I should get those walking grips Puzzled

You should get new ones, I've heard that skis and boots are made specially for snow and skiing and can last for ages when being hurled up and down mountains. But, due to the materials used will wear out in a couple of weeks if stored in the damp climate of the UK.

At least that's what I've observed Very Happy
latest report
There is one ski innovation that needs manafacturing, IMHO
A ski pole handle with a watch in it!
How many times have you got all 'comfy' in your gear and some @5$@ says what time is it, you then have to undo it all again find watch under 3 sleeves of clothes check time and do it all up again.
Now if your poll top had a little clock in it.........Taken further you could have a litle stop watch a tiny GPS etc etc. Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin, you can get those, can't recall where...
ski holidays
To answer the original question:

"No, it's all essential!"

I'm currently building a case for buying a handheld GPS system - currently I'm going with "I want one"
snow report
ise,
Quote:

Scarpa wrote:
My boots have only had 2 weeks use and there is wear on the sole front already - perhaps I should get those walking grips

You should get new ones, I've heard that skis and boots are made specially for snow and skiing and can last for ages when being hurled up and down mountains. But, due to the materials used will wear out in a couple of weeks if stored in the damp climate of the UK.

At least that's what I've observed

You are wicked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin, clip your watch to one of the straps on you ruck-sack - problem solved!
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
There is one ski innovation that needs manafacturing, IMHO
A ski pole handle with a watch in it!
How many times have you got all 'comfy' in your gear and some @5$@ says what time is it, you then have to undo it all again find watch under 3 sleeves of clothes check time and do it all up again.
Now if your poll top had a little clock in it.........Taken further you could have a litle stop watch a tiny GPS etc etc. Toofy Grin

http://www.emcadgifts.co.uk/default.asp?part=CLIPWATCH
snow report
Or get a velcro strapped one that will go over your glove or jacket.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got walkie talkies earlier this year for my birthday, not bad only my brother who was with me rarely bothered to answer me! snowHead But I know what ye mean about getting unneeded new gear but it's hard to resist having something new and shiny especially at Christmas time.
ski holidays
Quote:

those daft rubber walking devices you're supposed to put on your boots before walking down the street

....are actually extremely useful if you have regularly to clump across car parks, from bus stops etc, and you still want your boots to click into your bindings properly at the end of it.

Or maybe you ski so much you have to buy a new pair of boots every season, anyway.
ski holidays
So what's your favourite bit of tat that you don't really need to ski/board?

Heated boots?
GPS?
Stick on rabbit ears for your helmet (I'm thinking WTFH here - dunno why!)

I have to ask 'cos I don't have anything and I'm beginning to feel the need Very Happy
ski holidays
Cat Tracks are not only sensible they are also comfortable and prolong the use of your boots - you do the math Shocked

Hydration packs are brilliant. Although they can make you look like an astronaut or parachuter.

Can you still get skis with less than an 80mm waist? Puzzled What are they used for?
snow report
The best gizmo Ive got I made myself - a piece of looped string about 2 foot long with a knot in the middle.
Over one shoulder, under the lower binding and carry your skis around in comfort and without poking people round you in the eye.

Sadly it hasnt caught on amongst my group, cos it isnt dayglo, hasnt got a ski manufacturers name on it and doesnt retail for £29.99 from all good winter sports shops.
snow report
T-Dub, does that mean your skis are horizontal or vertical?
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Can you still get skis with less than an 80mm waist? Puzzled What are they used for?

They are for what is called a "powder day" in Europe... Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, oh! you mean those things the french still ski on... is that why American call skinny chips french fries?
ski holidays
parlor, New Zealanders and Chileans call them french fries too. No depth, that's the problem.
snow report
I tell my bank manager that needless kit is an oxymoron. She disagrees...

BA tell me I'll need to charter my own plane to get it to the Alps at this rate.

I've run out of cupboards at work to hide all my purchases from she who must be obeyed.

Perhaps I'm missing something - perhaps an Avalung or avalanche balloon, or am I the sort of sucker who keeps the ski industry alive and thriving?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,
Perhaps this is me skiing "naked"
:
snow report
Are those goggles with turbo fans a pointless buy?

What about instruction books and videos?

What about expensive, thin socks? I just wear my everyday socks in my boots!

What about boot-dryers? I seem to remember skiing for at least a good 20 plus years without these things making their 'revolutionary' appearance!

What about (and this is really stupid) poles that 'umbilically' attach to their gloves thereby providing a 'seamless link' to perfect and 'enhance' your pole plant?

All of these are going to make the difference, aren't they?

What do they say? Is it, 'all the gear and no idea'?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy