Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Lock Product Review - Loughborough University Design Engineering Project

Poster: A snowHead
Masque,

Time to stop being a bit of an ar$e?

I'm a Chartered Engineer, and coincidentally Loughborough Alumni.
When I look back on what I did as a second or even final year project, I would now consider it as crude and simplistic (but I didn't have 15+ years experience, a big team of engineers, and a $100M budget to work with either!), but that does not mean it was not a good learning process.
As a ski lock maybe this isn't all that appealing to me as I have alluded to above, but have you considered that really designing the worlds best ski lock might not have entirely been the exercise - as you said yourself, is there a need for a better mousetrap?
Have you also considered that this project does not represent the entire focus of studies, as you do actually need to pass the rest of the courses.

Perhaps we should start a design review thread, such that all our perfect engineering marvels can be critiqued publicly*?

[*subject to impending legal/ethical doom for doing so wink ]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-05-14 14:36; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stuarth, some people just full of own self importance, or as we like to call them "cocks"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth, Why? This is not a benign World . . as you well know. (PS I'm not yet a qualified mechanical engineer . . . yet wink But I may make it before my prostate kills me Toofy Grin )

Competition is incrementally growing as we type . . . as is our ability to survive the changing environment. I'm angry not at the quality of the project but at the quality of the minds behind it. They have offered NOTHING!!!! I REPEAT . . . FUСK ALL!!! That represents or acknowledges any materials/manufacturing/mental process in the last 2000 years (ok bronze>iron>steel is a maybe). It's a "Steam Punk" effort. Even at the most base level of concept it only succeeds at being able to lock a ski or a board. As an Alumni of one of the (once) premier design houses in the World do you really think that the minds that arrived at this offering . . . and don't forget, they did put this out for our approbation . . . are worthy of our worship?

I know there is a conflict between learning how to pass a degree and exploiting the opportunities of University and normally we would never see any of it. However when students involve the Real World they have to realise that they are joining it and should not suddenly become demure innocents skipping down the Yellow Brick Road . . . the can is open the worms wriggle free.

Looking at the way we are moving toward a blacksmith or artisan innovation economy where it's possible for a One Man Band with the help of good software and easily accessible on demand fabrication can create not just prototypes for evaluation but full scale distributed manufacturing . . .

Your degree work will have probably reflected the engineering environment of your time . . . LOUGHdesign's coursework barely even acknowledges the Renaissance let alone the Industrial Revolution

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-05-14 19:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme, I live but to serve xxx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, you probably do
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
graeme, I live but to serve xxx

You are the man behind Subservient Chicken and I claim my £5 Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-05-14 19:45; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
guessing this is a "Design" course rather than an "Engineering" course?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, If you're going to bite me at least let us know why you think I'm tasty Toofy Grin

andy wrote:
epic FUBAR with either thought Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As has been said previously, I too will at least give this group credit for reporting back (and laying themselves open to our varied assessment of their efforts). So often we see the start of a project in terms of a survey and never hear from the source again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hopefully, the guys behind the design will be aware that getting feedback and refining the design are a key part of the whole process.

I think there's been a huge amount of valuable feedback given so if they can look at this objectively then it everything in this thread should be quite valuable to them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth wrote:
Sadly unlikely.

As someone who is an engineer and who employs engineers, I very rarely come across anger or rudeness - building things is a team sport.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu,

+1.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig, Yup, in some circumstances I'm really not 'user friendly' Twisted Evil One of the difficulties here is knowing if this is a 'design' or an 'engineering' exercise . . . or perhaps a combined
project? That hasn't been made clear. I agree with you absolutely that 'engineering' is a team sport, but yet 'designing' is frequently not. For one party it is function over form and the the other, form over function. There are Polymaths who seamlessly integrate the two but for the most part it is as you say a "team Sport" . . . though sometimes teamwork can be very stressful when the monkeys at the coalface have to model the internal structures to fit the pretty picture on the outside Evil or Very Mad

What I don't sense in this project is 'teamwork'. They came, they polled, they went away . . . and in their own words dismissed an entire genre of thought or research. Cable locks work / Cable locks are popular / Cable locks are cheap / People buy cable locks.

They dismissed the entire possibility that they might reinvent the cable lock to be more efficient, more convenient, user friendly, cheaper, stronger, more integrated with today's connected World. They show a closed mindset that is indicative of one 'alpha' nerd and I'll bet a bottle of Talisker to the next eosb that it's LOUGHdesign who has been the directing force on this project.

I don't mind that they have produced . . . well actually I do since it is so clearly neither 'pretty', mechanically efficient nor fit for retail, though it does manage to fit some skis and snowboards . . . a lock. I do mind that it demonstrates a retrograde attitude to both design AND engineering . . . they are clearly proud that it is "successful" Do you laud them for this?

olderscot, They don't want to make that effort.

LOUGHdesign made snowHeads part of the 'team' and didn't think that perhaps we should have had more input to the decisions during the design process? That says more about LOUGHdesign's planning and team leader skills than it does about my arsieness(sic?) It could be that this is a First Year project . . . in which case I/we have to offer them a lot of leeway. If not would you employ someone with this skills level?

Addendum: I would genuinely like to see an x-sectional drawing of how the slide/lock system works to this design. There appears to be a huge surface area subject to moisture at sub-zero temps. What is the engineering solution to avoid ice stiction?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, why the shuddering bananas do you feel the need to be such a douche. Who on earth actually thinks anyone at the Uni would give a flying toss what you have to say?

How about getting your silly combined binding-ski-lock-energy-generating-skis into production eh? That's a far more stupid suggestion than the actually materially existing lock the students have designed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

One of the difficulties here is knowing if this is a 'design' or an 'engineering' exercise

engineering, to me, is sitting down and doing the maths on the structural and thermal properties of the cable and housing, specifying the flexibility of cable in subzero temperatures (yup seen some interesting ones with sH trying to recoil cheap bike locks after lunch Wink ), specifying resistance against tampering.

design is trying to make something pretty, neat, simple, and satisfy the magpies amongst us gadget freaks.

that's me speaking as an electronics engineer, rather than thermal and mechanical, and one that had Loughborough and UMIST down as 7th and 6th respectively on the shortlist for my UCCA form (which only has space for 5 unis to apply to Wink ).
snow report
meh, Not a clue have you Toofy Grin Though the patent applications cost me a new Triumph Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
The next "design project" should be... design a new concept to replace the US patent office.
If Loughdesing's 1st image on page 1 of this thread was a photo of something actually knocked up from alu and anodised... Amazon could sue them with their latest patent.
(PS instead of all this fancy 3D printing fashion, my mate Colin the Maker, one of the guys that did the Top Gear Reliant Robin etc., could have knocked up a real tangible model for the project in an afternoon)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-05-14 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Masque, a fool and their money are easily parted. Show me something in production and you'd have some actual clout rather than an expensive piece of paper.
latest report
meh, I do like to think about you and wonder if a 'Teasmaid' is far too newfangled for you to cope with? Do you remember college, the dual challenges of rigid learning and free thought? For one of mine it was the misery of applied mathematics needed to pass my exams and the utter joy of building a 10watt stereo amp that fitted into a matchbox sized heatsink, or trying (and failing) to fabricate a flexible circuit board. The point here is that we were invited into the process and when you do that then all bets are off of who gives a shiote . . . Thoooouggh if the peers you are submitting to are as intellectually flaccid as you've proven to be there little risk in doing that. rolling eyes

andy, The US PO is asinine . . . It's all the lawyers involved that need re-designing . . . preferably with a shotgun and a shovel Evil or Very Mad
snow report
or sent into space on a rocket powered by captured fart

yes that one has been granted
ski holidays
If the original design could fit a 12v battery in that case I think they might be onto a useful safety feature ....
snow report
12V battery and some electrickery from a cattle prod? I'd buy one Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Pound shop
£1 for 50 cable ties of various size
Take 3 packs with you on holiday and just zap half a dozen around a couple of pairs of skis and poles and there you go

Or, judging by the fact that my guitar cables always take me 10 minutes to untangle, just take a couple of them and wrap them round your skis - no thief will ever get them undone
latest report
speed098 wrote:
Lechbob wrote:
speed098, With 3D printers & computer controlled milling m/c', waterjets etc isn't prototype production much quicker & cheaper these days?

Yes it can be but unfortunately not every company has them some have to design then use machines owned by other company's and thus pay for that use.

Make a 3 d printer on a 3d printer - simples
snow report
Masque, the flaccidity is all your own. None of us have been invited into anything, we've been asked for feedback on someone's design and some has been given in good grace... you have demonstrated what a pompous fool looks like. That does have it's own merit as product feedback is almost always accompanied by a vocal minority demonstrating the Dunning-Kruger effect. These students will at least understand that better now! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Sadly unlikely.

As someone who is an engineer and who employs engineers, I very rarely come across anger or rudeness - building things is a team sport.

Unfortunately that world is rapidly filling up with "project managers" who use anger and rudeness as fundamental management tools; I just smile at them and watch them get flustered, and then if they show a little bit of contriteness, I might do something for them .... Slowly Wink
ski holidays
Masque, You post lots of interesting esoteric and challenging stuff which I greatly enjoy but this isn't about ripping the inventor of the Bulldog board a new one. It's about a student who had the good grace to come back here and show us their final output - not try and hoodwink us into believing it's the best thing since sliced bread and commercially shill it to us.

No one on here is the custodian of academic and intellectual values, and by their nature there are many millions of products in the grown up world that aren't anywhere near as earthshattering as their commercial owners would want the great unwashed to believe or worse are fundamentally flawed or downright dangerous. So if some students didn't tick your boxes it's hardly the crime of the century. Personally they'd already lost me - if it isn't made out of duct tape, zip ties and superglue it doesn't constitute "proper" engineering in my book wink
ski holidays
Quote:

design is trying to make something pretty, neat, simple, and satisfy the magpies amongst us gadget freaks.

So to meet Masque's criterion of thinking outside the box, the ultimate in ski protection is to design a lock that's SO COOL that the thieves nick the lock but leave the skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been thinking about other designs. I'm envisaging a circular concept, a very squat metal disk, full of concentric circles that pull out to form a flexible interlocked metal tube which can be fed through the skis and back into itself - kind of snake catching tail, Or some sort of expanding concertina of metal circles that pull out to form a flexible metal tube that can be threaded through the skis.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes, I know what you mean, but if they had just shown it to their mum's they would have thought it was great. Sometimes failing can be as much of a learning curve as winning. I reckon in the long run a bit of harsh criticism will benefit them.
ski holidays
Megamum

Ah yes. Tangled slinkys. That takes me back a few years but you're right. Like the the guitar leads they take ages to untangle and it's much easier for any tealeaf to just move on to the next pair.

Ps. I know your idea is more of a flat pack slinky but I do like the concept ( at least at the emotional, fun level.)
snow report
olderscot, Flat pack slinky - I love the description and yes, that sort of describes what I had in mind. I was kind of envisaging what happens with my box of pasty cutters - they stack one inside each other, if I tip them out and from the 'wrong' side pick out the middle one the little ridges on them pull all the cutters out in a tall stack, or a bit like the way rolled up newspapers can be pulled out to make a palm tree (remember doing that as a child?). I can see modern materials being used to make something that could be extended to a length that could be wound around skis to secure them - without it necessarily being a thin cable or perhaps even made of metal. The other thing that occurs is why do we feel the need to have something that completely closes to make it secure. Skis are essentially big things I see no reason why something couldn't be designed to pull out and be secured without the end necessarily being fed back into a mechanism - if something pulled out and then went rigid - or had something added or removed to make it rigid then it could be secured with a small gap in the mechanism or the two ends just touching.
latest report
I like the idea of the form Megamum, but at the end of it you end up with a cable loop. It's really no more secure than a cable lock, a lot of which tend to coil up quite neatly as it is.
latest report
meh, well Shocked I never expected a compliment from you . . . Unless you only read the first postulation of Messrs Dunning and Kruger rolling eyes

You see I have to offer you a huge hug of thanks. If you hadn't been such a huge skidmark on the pants of innovation I would never have been pushed to dig deeply into RFID, Bluetooth & PV developments I would not have two patents pending. I here, in public, let you know that the first $100 I make will be framed and sent to you.

On a phone so more l8r Toofy Grin
latest report
Megamum wrote:
olderscot, something that could be extended to a length - if something pulled out and then went rigid - or the two ends just touching.

I have something that can be pulled out and then goes rigid wink Do I get a patent?
snow report
andy wrote:

My cousin went to Loughborough, his degree was called Product Design, so possibly.

LOUGHdesign, if you're still reading... Very pretty designs, well done on that of course. But in the real world this thing is way too big and heavy. That's the killer, honestly.

Imagine being a dad carrying four of them for the family. Your wife's fitted jacket definitely won't take it and the kids could use it as a sled.

I'd like to have seen something completely different too, something that uses the bindings, the tips. Maybe even just a way of locking the brakes together. I can think of so many pairs of skis this thing will simply not fit around even with its generous size. Interesting point re the insurers saying skis must be attached to something, I didn't know that.

Is it too late to go back to the beginning? What about thinking about what skiers actually do during the day. If I stop skiing for lunch/toilet etc there are so many things I no longer need eg helmet, backpack, gloves, goggles - could a security device be not integrated into a backpack for example?
ski holidays
Back in days of old i.e. late 80s / early 90s, I had a pair of Scott poles where one pole had a cable that ran inside the pole from near the bottom and emerged flush (ish) at the top of the grip. To lock the skis and poles, the cable was pulled out to its full length (about 110cm), wrapped around / through the skis / whatever and the free end of the cable was passed through a hole in the other pole grip that had a key lock at the top which when turned locked the cable.

The pros were: it was pretty secure (the cable was 5+ mm thick), there was no need to carry anything else (apart from the key), it could be moved to new standard width poles because all of the gubbins were in the grips and it worked.

The cons were: it could be a bit cumbersome (the poles usually ended up inverted when it was all locked together because they were longer than the distance from where the cable passed through the bindings to the ground), you had to make sure you didn't lose the key but, above all, the poles were heavy compared to the normal aluminium poles of the day.

The latter "con" was what cause me to stop using them but, to be fair, as a locking system, it did work.
snow report
stuarth wrote:
Masque,

I'm a Chartered Engineer, and coincidentally Loughborough Alumni.
When I look back on what I did as a second or even final year project, I would now consider it as crude and simplistic (but I didn't have 15+ years experience, a big team of engineers, and a $100M budget to work with either!), but that does not mean it was not a good learning process.
As a ski lock maybe this isn't all that appealing to me as I have alluded to above, but have you considered that really designing the worlds best ski lock might not have entirely been the exercise - as you said yourself, is there a need for a better mousetrap?
Have you also considered that this project does not represent the entire focus of studies, as you do actually need to pass the rest of the courses.

Perhaps we should start a design review thread, such that all our perfect engineering marvels can be critiqued publicly*?

[*subject to impending legal/ethical doom for doing so wink ]

Me too, also a chartered engineer and Loughborough Alumni. You are so right, most of those commenting here have absolutely no idea of the objective of such exercises in a degree course. It more about the process than the end product, although it has to be said that if a commercial product arises from the project then so much the better (British Gas bought mine over 30 years ago Smile ). Part of the process would be expected to focus groups, etc, which the guy has clearly engaged with by perhaps mistakenly asking the question on this forum. Some of comments here have even attacked his academic prowess which to put it quite bluntly is well out of order.

I also tend to take issue with some of the comments made are about the quality of construction of the prototype. Having this year taken my son on a tour of university departments it is clear that the students have to pay for anything other than the most basic materials. Most departments appear not to charge for the use of entry level 3D printing which looks very much like the means by which these most parts in these prototypes have been made, but anything more elaborate is at the students own expense. The last 2 governments have turned the UK into the laughing stock of Europe with regard to further education costs to the extent that it is now a minor miracle that we can attract engineering students in any discipline at all with the amount of debt that they can expect to graduate with. You should not expect a better class of degree because you can afford better equipment!!!!

Anyway, time to jump of my hobby horse, but give the guy a break.....
snow report
Quote:

I here, in public, let you know that the first $100 I make will be framed and sent to you.

Lets hope inventing is better for you than joinery or maybe meh will have to send you $100 wink
snow report
Part of the process (I'm pretty sure) will also be an element of reflection, i.e. this team will self criticise and say where they went wrong, how they would do it better next time etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy