Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Lock Product Review - Loughborough University Design Engineering Project

Poster: A snowHead
Hello again! 6 Months later and us guys at Loughborough University have created a concept idea for a new 'Ski/Snowboard Lock'.

We'd be more than happy if any of you had any comments on the the design we've created (Pictures below).

It's a ratchet locking clamp, that also has an extendable cable that can be extended (1m) around handrails or whatever you find near cafés/chalets!

It's big enough to hold a snowboard or a set of skis (and poles), in between the bindings; and also fits snugly in a ski jacket pocket!

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOUGHdesign,
I dont like the idea of the sharp corners or the sticky out cable end in a pocket. ..cracked a rib on my phone last season.

What are the dimensions and weight?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there, it's roughly 550g (5 iPhones), and the external dimensions are 100mm x 115mm!

Just a note, the cable will not protrude as far as depicted.. But i get your point!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LOUGHdesign, if it relies on an extending cable to tie down the secured item then it is little improvement on the cable locks already on the market and doesn't appear to have a cable that is any more robust (which is my problem with many of the extending cable locks on the market at the moment) than the likes of most/all of them. In fact if it has a cable that can be threaded around something then I can't see how this offers any better option than just putting said cable from a standard pebble lock through the ski bindings, and as noted above it looks very bulky and awkward/dangerous to carry in a pocket. FWIW I use a fairly thick cable lock http://www.rei.com/product/800079/kryptonite-kryptoflex-815-combo-cable-lock?siteId=cjIsd2x-it3792&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F800079&PID=2946146&AID=10456937&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-2946146-_-10456937
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you have any other photos to show it in action around skis? I can't quite work out exactly how you would use it from the photos above.

It would be good to have a better idea of scale compared to skis also.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The product is intended as a deterrent, we realise it's the not the safest thing but will be enough to repel thieves!
Here's a picture of a prototype in *action* (minus the extendable cable)

And a more recent concept photo.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think I'll stick with my ski-key thanks.
http://www.skikey.com/

are you suggesting something like a less secure version of...
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=000990
?

(BTW when my bike got thieved it had a D-lock on, but they cut through the ~10mm cable I attached it to a sign with Sad )

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 5-05-14 18:38; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The photo of it in use helps. Well I guess it would stop a thief skiing away on a set. What does the squidy black bit in the smaller section do - it doesn't appear to be in use in the photo?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOUGHdesign, that's massive! Sorry Mate..I actually laughed out loud.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LOUGHdesign, good grief! Are you serious? I'm not being intentionally cruel but that breaks just about every design rule I can think of apart from 'Ooh pretty' one and even that is subjective. This a amature linear thinking and undeserving of a great design dept. Horrible horrible horribles, not even interesting materials use . . . AAAAAAAGH Sooooo angry Evil or Very Mad you better not be on a grant!!! I'm not paying for this tosh Shocked Not even chocolate teapot imagination quality . . .

. . . breathe . . . . must breathe . . .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a picture of a quick prototype we have made, as you can see it can store away and is approximately 11cm x 10cm.

We have conducted tests using our CAD software and the results we have got proved this design to be very strong, contending with products selling for twice the price.

It also fits into a ski jacket pocket comfortably and we believe it will be easy to use.

The 'squidy black bit' houses the wire mechanism, and provided a safe place to store your skis.

Here is a concept image of what the lock will look like when stored.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It gets worse rolling eyes the Autodesk development team are weeping Sad

Please tell my this is not an ironic 'Steam Punk' jape? A reverse engineering pastiche of taking a commercially available tech/product and gluing it to a post-bong party panic attack?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think you are all being rather harsh. It looks pretty solid to me and could probably fit in my jacket pocket, although I always carry a bag so that wouldn't be an issue. Nothing is totally any thieves.... if they want to get into it, they will find a way. Such is life my friends
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, thank you for your feed back! We take this on board but we are interested why you think it is unsuitable? This was a project we were set, not something we are hoping to bring to market. We understand that the ski lock market is not one that particularity needs innovation, however in order to create something that would create an alternative to currently available product we followed this design.

It is also, we understand, quite difficult to convey exactly how it works and we can assure you that it will secure skis and your poles anywhere, provide a deterrent, and it is optional to use the wire for an added level of security.

Our research suggested that users highest priority for a ski lock would be its portability, then second its security.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's the maximum 'depth' of skis it can take? I have Marker Baron bindings on them, and with the frame between the heel and toe, it makes the combined skis quite fat for such a device.
snow conditions
feef, The inside dimensions allows skis up to 9 cm wide
latest report
LOUGHdesign, all you have done is build a worse mousetrap . . . THINK about it!

I know I'm being harsh but FFS! You are at one of the most innovative design colleges in the world, you have the support to not just think outside the box but to create an entirely new box and not to regurgitate old tech.

Edit: HINT . . . Why should we have to carry anything like this in a pocket?

edit 2: predictive text rolling eyes

edit 3: If your prof will give me course credit, I'll join this clusterf'k, I could do with another degree.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-05-14 20:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm not sure how this is similar to a mouse trap? Either you don't know what a mouse trap is or you don't know how this product works. We would be happy answer any questions you have.
ski holidays
LOUGHdesign, if you cannot understand an analogy . . . HTF'k did you get into tertiary education?
snow report
Masque, ... if you don't mind me asking, what degree do you have?
snow conditions
Not like you to sit on the fence Masque Confused
ski holidays
Masque, Would you not think it is more likely that you don't understand our product, than we don't understand your analogy? I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge in this area, however if you do not have any constructive criticism to say, could you please refrain from posting.
ski holidays
What is the black bit made from - if fabric how long will it last? Why could the wire not have been stored in the hollow interior of the metal body of the lock? I guess the lock is solid metal, but as a deterrent that only needs to be better than the average extending cable 'pebble' type lock, I wonder if a hollow square form tube would have done and then the cable could have folded up inside it? What stops the inner part 'escaping' - is it running on some type of rail with an end stop? I wonder do you need the cable at all. I see the concept of something that wedges in the binding and stops the skis from separating and being skied away on, such a thing is useful up on the hill and I can see this working away from a town centre. As something to prevent skis being lifted and placed in the back of a lorry to be dealt with later the thin cable won't prevent a determined pre-prepared thief with wire cutters. I therefore feel that the cable is seen as existing more for the look of the security than actually contributing to it, as it is not really needed outside restaurants high up on the hill unless is someone is going to ski down with a locked set of skis on their shoulders, and isn't an adequate enough deterrent to prevent large scale 'lorry' theft in a town. I would be tempted to lose the cable and almost head down the route of a combination released 'carabiner' styled lock fitting.
snow report
Megamum, thank you for your response, we will explore the idea of the cable being inside the arms of the product, however a retractable cable mechanism works better when it is circular. The black part is made of dense rubber and is actually quite a thin casing to a solid compartment where the cable is stored.

As for the need to have a cable at all, which we would agree is seemingly needless in this particular scenario, we spoke to insurance companies and they told us that in order for a claim to be made, the skis have to be secured to a solid stationary object (i.e. a rack, pole, or tree).
latest report
LOUGHdesign, then is there any need for the lock to have edges at right angles to each other? You could make the lock circular when in use, then the cable would slide in easier. I could even see a semi circle, with a slightly smaller once that slides either inside it or in a rail along the inside edge of a larger one, thus a circle is formed to go around the binding, if said circles were also hollow the cable could still be potentially stored inside and might run more easily. The cable could even be a flat metal sheet which retracts on a spring mechanism like a metal tape-measure. If a circle doesn't do the job then an oval might also work, though obviously there is less potential to slide one half around the other.
snow conditions
Megamum, In order for it to be as highly adjustable as the design we have now, the runners need to be straight, and therefore the most efficient design is a square, unfortunately. Does this make sense? It works similar to a cable tie when one side it pushed into the other
snow report
LOUGHdesign, What's not to understand about your design? You've taken 12th century tech and purposed it for a 21st century leisure pursuit . . a sort of adjustable ski/board chastity belt. It's as innovative as taking tissue paper, dying it green and die-cutting it into the shape of a Dock leaf . . . for the obvious ultimate end use.

Seriously, the futility of redesigning the mundane to no increased purpose yet increased inconvenience hasn't occurred to you? Or that a $10 5mm cable lock will be more convenient, secure or less inclined to break your ribs if you fall on it. All you are showing is a variation on an old theme. Pretty pictures don't make an innovative let alone viable product and unless your supervising tutor is just counting down the days to his/her retirement, they won't let you get away with it.

Unless of course, you are just being marked on your use of AutoCAD® I'll ask you again, do you know/understand the story/analogy of "mousetrap" design?

iheartwhistler, which one, you can never have too many wink
snow conditions
LOUGHdesign, Here's an obvious ¿ Given today's materials and moulding techniques, why does it have to be rigid?

¿2: Given today's materials and moulding techniques, why does it have to be bulky?

¿3: Given today's materials and moulding techniques, why does it even have to be carried by the user? (that one at least should make you think past your next toke rolling eyes )

Honestly, your design wouldn't have made A'level grade when I were a nipper . . . what the hell are they teaching these days?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOUGHdesign, If you resize the pictures it makes the thread easier to read.....HTH Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Too big and bulky. I will stick with my 5mm stainless steel wire, made up at a yachting store for AUD7.50. Keeps the honest people honest.
snow conditions
Looks cheap and nasty edges being 90 degrees as others have said not clothing or fall friendly if in a pocket, ratchet closure looks to have no substantial depth so I question its strength when you have two levers (ski's) anything upto 200cm long inside to force it apart, 3 combination how quaint might actually take a couple of minutes to go through the possible 999 combinations.
Combination tumblers are not glove friendly either,( too close together and too smooth, your designing something for cold weather think about how the user will be dressed).

The cable looks like a £1 bike lock from your local pound shop and any part at all protruding is a potential hazard in a fall not very intelligent thinking on your part. If I was involved in an insurance company I would not allow a claim with that cable it is useless.

Nothing looks as though it has any waterproof properties so seized mechanisms are a possibility. Water ice and salt will cause issues with the ratchet mechanism, you could not use materials that could withstand this and wear from use and keep the product within a viable price range.

A key mechanism can have a rubber plug to protect it from the elements and is easier to use and quicker than a combination.

Before you start posting stuff like this do market research ask questions about what people want, people did not invent a saddle then go looking for a suitable animal to put it on. So ask get input then sit down and design or does your lecturer think your future employers like wasting time and money, does he/she even have any real world experience because if so why the heck are you asking the questions you are asking here now rather than coming here and other sites like this right at the start.

Oh and I only have A-level engineering design background yet have seen major issues in your product and in your approach ask your lecturer why an A-level grad has just ripped him/her and your product apart in less than 10 min.

I hope you learn from this and I really hope your lecturer learns from this because if not you may get a job after graduating but you may well loose it soon afterwards.
snow conditions
speed098, He's in college, don't spoon feed him rolling eyes

Besides, I may have patents pending for a ski lock wink
snow conditions
To clarify one point in my post above re the ratchet mech and cost a much cheaper simpler and resilient solution is to have a series of holes with a locking mechanism going through, this allows adjustment has no inherent design flaws for seized mechanisms and the lock could be shop serviced or replaced.
( That is just one very simple solution to your excessive over engineering ).
ski holidays
I do believe I saw LOUGHdesign, post in snowheads asking what the users would want about 6 months ago, so they have actually done what you said speed098, also, I'd like to see you go through the 999 combinations and crack the code in a couple of minutes...... good one mate.
snow report
I can't actually envisage myself using a ski lock so I'll refrain from contributing any feedback on the actual design. However, I have been pretty disappointed by the response of a few Snowheads to this request for feedback. The OP didn't ask for a good kicking. He simply asked for feedback on a design. If you don't like the design, then by all means say so and give constructive criticism. As I understand it, these are University students learning their craft. Whether you rate their design or not I think they merit a great deal more consideration and less of the ill manners than some have displayed here. It's unnecessary, unattractive, and makes this forum look petty, sneering and small-minded. At times, I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a contributor to this site. Full marks to LOUGHdesign for his/her measured and mature responses.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, +1

almost speechless.
latest report
Quote:

At times, I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a contributor to this site

Yes. Sad
snow report
On the plus side. Credit to a uni team actually reporting back after a survey. Most student surveys that get spammed to forums you never hear from again.

Does seem a bit "chunky". Will stick with pebble lock and restaurants not near gondolas and bus stops. Locking racks makes more sense.

I've patented Masque's mouestrap though. Steal my skis, expect broken fingers Wink
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I can't actually envisage myself using a ski lock so I'll refrain from contributing any feedback on the actual design. However, I have been pretty disappointed by the response of a few Snowheads to this request for feedback. The OP didn't ask for a good kicking. He simply asked for feedback on a design. If you don't like the design, then by all means say so and give constructive criticism. As I understand it, these are University students learning their craft. Whether you rate their design or not I think they merit a great deal more consideration and less of the ill manners than some have displayed here. It's unnecessary, unattractive, and makes this forum look petty, sneering and small-minded. At times, I'm genuinely embarrassed to be a contributor to this site. Full marks to LOUGHdesign for his/her measured and mature responses.
+1
snow report
I didn't use to lock my old skis as I thought they would not be that attractive to take. I once was stopped by an irate skier on taking his skis, identical to mine from the rack on the side of the ski bus,Embarassed so it can happen innocently. I have heard of some scroat taking someone else's skis having a completely different colour & design, & even set for different boot length to their own. Maybe alcohol may be a factor. I have often thought that it would be inconvenient to try & get down the mountain without skis.
This year I use a lightweight cable on my pretty new skis to prevent them being taken by mistake (even though they have rare graphics). The lock would offer little resistance to anyone with a cutter but would validate an insurance claim if need be.
I ski without my glasses and so have great difficulty reading the combination. I would not want to carry a key as I would probably lose it so could do with easily readable numbers or symbols/shapes.
I seemed to be the only person locking up my skis in Jackson Hole, USA & received a fair bit of derision & curiosity on doing so when there were many much more expensive skis laying about unattended, so something less ostentatious for that market maybe in order but would lose some of the deterrent factor.
Size and weight is a problem, I have far too much to carry already, and I too have cracked ribs with a phone in my jacket pocket. Half a kilo ! I could take a motorbike chain & lock. Why does it have to be so deep ? Use different materials ? Plastics ? Titanium for the luxury market - although non of the bankers seemed bothered about leaving their Lacroix skis unlocked outside La Souscoupe.
Marketing; It does work for carrying aid.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 6-05-14 10:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy