Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis were serviced and sharpened. Now can't get them to work

Poster: A snowHead
After a bit of overenthusiastic off piste in the thin snow at New Year, I've had to get the skis serviced, filled and sharpened at EB.
The problem is that I now find them really difficult to ski on. It's hard to describe but essentially I think the back ends keep catching. Sometimes it just throws me off balance but sometimes it causes me to completely fall over.

I've read previously that the ends shouldn't be as sharp as the middle; but also that it's nothing wrong with the ski, just bad technique.

Anyone got any opinions on whether I should take them back to the shop and get them de tuned.

Or can I do it myself.

(for reference, been skiing around 15 years, had (different) skis serviced maybe 6 times in the past, happy on any pistes and non gnarly off piste)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had a similar feeling when the tips of the skis were sharpened - edges catching and generally being off balance, sometimes (particularly at low speed on flatter sections) getting almost thrown about a bit. I can see why some people want every mm of possible edge, but for me it was entirely unwelcome.

Easily detuned with careful use of a file, just take the very edge off the very front of the ski, and you can do the tail as well if required. Of course it will naturally go away, but presumably the centre of the ski will detune first as it is used most. Other option is to take it back and ask them to sort it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hanging burr? Or just detune a bit at tails.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's no need to detune them, that was something they did with long straight skis before going out to hunt Mammoth.

More likely a burr as Dave said. Can you feel anything really sharp on the edges?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have they tuned the edges to different angles than you are used to?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

There's no need to detune them, that was something they did with long straight skis before going out to hunt Mammoth.

Here i can't agree!

What ski is it? some skis still really need detuning, especially wider ski with lots of torsional stiffness at the tip and tail (carbon stuff for example)

The real solution could be to change the base angle but you don't want to pay for that again. First let us know the ski model, then can think about wether you should just run a diamond (or rougher) file over the tails.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

Here i can't agree!

No problem. I've used pretty stiff fat skis for a few years, the current pair are carbon too, and always get the edges as sharp as I can along the full length.

My moneys still on a burr or similar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you probably need to detune the tips and tails. run a de-burrer over the last 200cm at each end, just to dull them a little.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bob wrote:
you probably need to detune the tips and tails. run a de-burrer over the last 200cm at each end, just to dull them a little.

Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheGeneralist, for future servicing I'd recommend http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/ or if you can't get there then http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/ and http://www.ridersnsliders.com/ for a reliable service oooopp North snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with Mosha Marc, here ,

DONT DETUNE THEM

DEBURR THEM

then try again!

both my 76mm and 112 skis are sharp tip to tail
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you ever find this happens on your first run and you're really stuck one day just grab a stone or pebble and rub it up and down the ski edges two or three times. The key areas are the tips and tails but sometimes you have to do the entire edge. That will dull them enough to get you through the day until you can waste time on them or get to a shop. Obviously we're talking leisure skiing here. It's amazing the crap that comes off skis when you run a stone over them after a belt service, and that's what most shops will do by default, so if the forget to clean it up your skis won't behave.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bet they've had a base grind.

Either the skitech has forgotten to put on some base angle or, previously, there was so much cut away that they were detuned and now you're struggling with how they should be.

Note that it's very easy to over do the base edge angle. The tool normally holds the file/stone at 1° but often there's nothing to stop you cutting too far and taking out a bit of base as well - especially after repeated servicing.

For example:

If you were to repeatedly work on the base edge with the tool was set at the same angle then, after a while, you would encroach into the base area. This would make the skis very 'soft' and easy to turn. Only a base grind can make them 'grippy' again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The skis are Line Prophets
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ask EB what edge and base angle they used.
snow report
I've got some line prophets. wouldnt call them particularly torsionally stiff. Still I'd try detuning them a little and if that doesnt help get the edge angles checked
latest report
TheGeneralist, Do NOT detune 'em before checking the following:

If the ski has not had a base grind check that the hanging burr created when the side edge angles have been sharpened have been fully removed. A hanging burr will cause the ski to be hooky/grabby.

If the ski has had a base grind then in addition to checking for a hanging burr as above you need to check for sufficient base edge angle, especially at the contact points. The machines/operator often have trouble cutting sufficient angle on the upturn of the tips &/or tails (likely to be the tails in your case). Insufficient base edge angle will also cause the ski to be hooky/grabby.

I see machined serviced skis all the time that have both problems.

Detuning is a leftover from the old straight ski days (ie a flat base edge angle & a 0/90 side edge angle) & there's no need for it at all on modern skis, irrespective of their sidecut/torsion stiffness/construction etc, providing the edges have been correctly set & finished. Detuning will remove metal that can never be recovered, will shorten the effective edge of the ski & often doesn't fully cure the problem. The correct solution is a properly set base edge angle or a slightly increased base edge angle in the tips'n'tails as this allows for the required progressive engagement of the edge but still gives full length sharpness - however many people/shops/techs don't understand edge geometry/function & detuning is a easy solution to the problem, especially as most shops don't have the knowledge/tools to do localised hand work on the base edge.
snow report
^^ what he says... anyone telling you to "de-tune" probably hasn't tuned a pair of skis in 10 years or is still doing what they did 20 years ago.
ski holidays
spyderjon, is the expert so whatever he says Toofy Grin

The only exception I have been told about is on extreme fat skis with huge tip rocker and a big sidecut, these may need a little "dulling" not de tune on the tip area, but again I will bow down to spyderjon, on this?
ski holidays
huge tip rocker and big side cut = small effective edge so why dull and have even less edge...
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

huge tip rocker and big side cut = small effective edge so why dull and have even less edge...

I think its down to, when you tip the ski right over you get much more of the edge engaging the snow which can lead to the ski biting to much on the tip. Its something that Movement recommend on the Flyswatter only.
latest report
another reason not to ski clown skis Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

The only exception I have been told about is on extreme fat skis with huge tip rocker and a big sidecut, these may need a little "dulling" not de tune on the tip area, but again I will bow down to spyderjon, on this?

Not found this to be the case. I'm mainly on the JJ these days, which is 126-136-115-133-123 with a 16m radius. It is moderately soft in the tip and tail and stiff underfoot. They really need to be sharp along the length of the ski for best performance on firmer snow.
snow conditions
Quote:

^^ what he says... anyone telling you to "de-tune" probably hasn't tuned a pair of skis in 10 years or is still doing what they did 20 years ago.

Hey watch it you wink

Jon knows a million times more about this than me but..

I stand by my statement, changing the base angle is of course the correct answer but that costs more money. Plus I had a pair of double carbon layered, fully cambered fat skis, straight from the supplier, no burrs, 0,5 base angle (at least that's what they told me) and they quite simply needed de-tuning at the tip and tail in order to let them steer smoothly on hard pack. Once done they handled fine.

The point i have found is that wide normally cambered stiff skis, can get a bit grabby at the ends, grip is not an issue so de-tuning does the job I need it to
latest report
livetoski wrote:
......The only exception I have been told about is on extreme fat skis with huge tip rocker and a big sidecut, these may need a little "dulling" not de tune on the tip area......

Detuning is not required on these skis either providing the edge geometry is correct to start with. I can guarantee that if a user says that a dull or detune helped the skis performance then the edge geometry either wasn't right to start with or if it was then adding a tad more base edge angle at the contact point (usually only at the tip) is the far better solution.

Whitedot ship their skis with a label on them (which I remove prior to sale) recommending that their skis are detuned at the for about 100mm at the contact points but when I challenged them on this they didn't know how/why this came to be. There's probably not a ski on the market that combines such a wide tip with a tight radius as their Preacher & they ski superbly with full length sharpness.

The edges on my skis (Blizzard Brahma, WD Ranger CL & Down CD3C) are all set to a proper full length 1,4 & they all perform superbly. Interestingly, & again against popular belief, is that they haven't exhibited any faster wear/burring/blunting with side edges set to 4 than skis with shallower side edge angles.

Unfortunately the lack of knowledge in most shops/techs is scary with most having been 'trained' by their predecessor who was trained by their predecessor, & so on. Last year, when doing some mystery shopping (wink) I was told by a tech in a major chain shop that the only way to dress down a welded base repair was to grind the ski rolling eyes. And the manufacturers can be as bad - I email Amplid a couple of years ago & was told that their edges were 90 degrees. I queried this as to what exactly they meant & was told that they had a flat base edge angle & a vertical/90 degree side edge, meaning a 0,0 spec which would be unskiable. I've since had a number of pairs of new Amplids in for mounting & they were all shipped with edges set to 1,1.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
.....I had a pair of double carbon layered, fully cambered fat skis, straight from the supplier, no burrs, 0,5 base angle and they quite simply needed de-tuning at the tip and tail in order to let them steer smoothly on hard pack.....

The problem there was the too shallow 0.5 base edge angle & I'd better it was even less at the contact points, especially as a tad of base concavity at the tips'n'tails is common on many skis.

dulcamara wrote:
.....changing the base angle is of course the correct answer but that costs more money.....

Not true.

All the DIY'er needs is a few minutes with a marker pen, fine file/diamond file & a business card to use as a shim which costs nothing. You do however need to know how to do it wink
snow report
I had a similar experience with my WD Ones when they had a full service, it seems the skitech took off the factory angles during the service and the skis were left extremely "bitey" - felt like they were continually trying to roll themselves flat rather than engage the edge and steer, if that makes sense. I followed a youtube demo that sounds pretty much the same as what spyderjon suggests to change the base angle and they've been fine since.
ski holidays
dulcamara, 0.5 works well on a SL or GS ski but is a bit aggressive on a wide ski. I would agree with Jon , rather than dulling the ski (de tuning) I would put a lead in base angle of say 1 degree up to the contact point. Getting into exotic terrain but racers use blended base angles all the time... It does take some knowledge to do correctly though.. Still wouldn't recommend dulling an edge.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You live and you learn Very Happy

Will probably still carry a diamond file for quick (apparently naughty) de-tuning on the fly, because I'm far too lazy with my edges and rarely care about extra edge grip... Embarassed

(plus most of my edges have been ground over rocks this cräppy season so it's probably a lot like trying to polish a türd)
snow conditions
dulcamara, Philistine rolling eyes Toofy Grin

BTW, did your DIY toe punch on your Vulcans work out?
snow conditions
Haha, i got scared and gave up and am pretty glad I did! There is (at least in my version) a mile of extra space in the toe once I heated and stretched the liner, which then gave out a load more, so it really wasn't needed.

Actually, (moving off thread here) the liners in what I assume are the 12/13 model are honestly a bit rubbish, oh and I've had to repair 3 buckles so far this season, actually getting pretty good at it! my version is lighter and definitely NOT going to break!

Final point: pee'd off that i didnt buy those PM Gears off you, binned the Ski Logiks i ended up with after 3 months and got something else, meanwhile my ski buddy is on the Lhasa Pows and loving them.... gutted!
ski holidays
dulcamara, yep, the 12/13 liners were shoite but the 13/14's seem v.good once heat moulded & aren't short lasted like the originals. Also the buckles on the 13/14 Vulcans/Mercurys outwardly look the same but are tougher Cool

Shame about the Ski Logics 'cause they look great but the few pairs I've mounted all had 'variable' cores which didn't impress me. Just sold my last pair of PM Gear's & I'm no longer selling 'em as the Whitedot CarbonLite models do everything the PM Gear's do but at a lower cost & without supply/logistic issues of importing from the US. The WD Ranger CL is superb ski & skis every bit as well as the Llasa but is just a few mm narrower. Still got a couple of pairs of Rangers left at mates rates wink
latest report
TheGeneralist, I recommend a trip to see spyderjon at his works and take the tuning lesson from him - then you will be able to sort anything out even trying it out during your time on the snow, if you buy the tuning kit. Well worth the investment.
latest report
[grumpyoldarse] I do wonder sometimes on the 'worker and his tools' analogy when people moan about their kit [/grumpyoldarse] wink

More to the point, People who ski regularly become accustomed to their equipment and how it performs and unconsciously adapt to the changes as they slowly occur. I'm NOT going to argue that ski-techs are gods (excepting our own deity Toofy Grin ) Toofy Grin and they can screw up royally Evil or Very Mad But there has to be an element of a 'small change can feel like huge one to the user' and his body is unable to react to to that change without demanding a concious effort. . . Goes to the unconscious memory movement in the teaching methodology.

I had to de-burr my newly serviced Nomads to make them feel like I was used to . . . but they hadn't seen a stone or file in 5+ years.
latest report
throwing this out there, what do snowheads consider as a deburr.....
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Mines a lump of impregnated green rubber wink
snow report
Masque wrote:
[grumpyoldarse] I do wonder sometimes on the 'worker and his tools' analogy when people moan about their kit [/grumpyoldarse] wink

More to the point, People who ski regularly become accustomed to their equipment and how it performs and unconsciously adapt to the changes as they slowly occur. I'm NOT going to argue that ski-techs are gods (excepting our own deity Toofy Grin ) Toofy Grin and they can screw up royally Evil or Very Mad But there has to be an element of a 'small change can feel like huge one to the user' and his body is unable to react to to that change without demanding a concious effort. . . Goes to the unconscious memory movement in the teaching methodology.

I had to de-burr my newly serviced Nomads to make them feel like I was used to . . . but they hadn't seen a stone or file in 5+ years.

This.. Buy stuff. Ski/ board it to destruction.. Buy new stuff..
latest report
kitenski, I was taught by SH very own tuning deity spyderjon, to deburr the skis after I have sharpened the edges. For this, if I am still doing it properly, he provided a gummi stone - as Masque, describes a sort of soft abrasive green rubber - like a coarse school eraser. I do it by holding this nicely square object carefully up to the newly made edge and running it down the sides of the angle in turn. I take some amount of care not to scuff the exact point of the edge so I don't knock it off. What I don't have in my kit and so am not dressing, is a base angle guide, the base angles have been previously set by another tuner and I have no idea how long I can go before this needs addressing, but clearly I am not paranoid about this ski tuning or else I'd be more concerned and doing the base angles each time, as it is from the kit I have I do the side, deburr them and call the job jobbed!
ski holidays
If you've had a base grind check that the base is flat. If the base is rounded (so the edges are 'high') is can make the ski very difficult to manage as it's much more difficult to skid them. I've seen it once with a friend, and the ski was almost unskiable.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

I run one of these up and down the edges:

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy