Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Powder Ski

Poster: A snowHead
So I now have a pair of carvers and all mountain ski's and thought it would be nice to round off the collection with a pair of powder ski's. If you were a 65kg 5'9" bloke and wanted a powder ski - what would you go for?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High Society Freeride Wide 187.

Hang on, I know where there's a pair for sale............... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out telemark pyrenees website.....cracking deals on there at the moment for chunky skis, pretty much have a ski for every type of rider at the mo whether you want a charger or more playful powder ski and everything in between.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nordica Dobermann SL-R
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EDIT: I'm 5 foot 9 and 70kg.

Do you want a powder ski or an offpiste ski?

For powder, I've been loving my Down CD1s this season. Surprisingly versatile, and what I reach for from about 10/15cms of snow up. When things get heavily tracked the big tips deflect a lot though; at that point whilst they're skiable just fine they're not optimal. No problems skiing on piste either.

For all round offpiste in every condition, the old Bibby Pros are perfect in pretty much every way. Not quite as surfy and slarvey as the CD1s, but soooo much better at raging through tracked out chop.

I fondled a pair of 4FRNT Renegades this season, and would really love to try them. The shape just seems so perfect. As in, literally perfect.

4FRNT EHPs are great when you've got nice snow and room to let them run, and the straight shape works well for touring, but they're a lot of work when you need to keep things more controlled. The basically flat rocker/camber profile and straight sidecut make them totally frictionless in powder, but make smearing them around on junk snow a bit of a chore. Also pretty damn stiff. I lost around 6kgs since I got mine, and tbh in most situations they're a bit too stiff for me now. Still great when you've got plenty of room though... In hindsight I'd probably have been better off with the 186s rather than 193s.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-03-14 21:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Nordica Dobermann SL-R

And there's me thinking you'd mellowed Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
180cm Whitedot Redeemer
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DPS Wailer 112RP.

An amazing ski. Light, stiff, floats and 'rips' with the enviable bonus of being extremely capable and stable on piste and simply destroys crud and manky slushy snow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
192cm Atomic Bent Chetlers, I absolutely adore mine. But I'm quite tall and fairly heavy, so they work for me. As spyderjon says, a 180cm Redeemer sounds like a great option for you!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickr,

I would read all of the different reviews from Fall line ski, Blistergear, Backcountry.com, TGR, Ski and Snowboard magazine etc, decide what sort of skier you are and what you will be skiing. There are now lots of great skis out there. It really depends on what level of off piste-skier you are and what you really want from the ski. From loads and loads of research from this time last year, and skiing the Bibby Pros which are really hard to get in Europe and reading really rave reviews about Rossignol S7s and Soulriders, Atomic Automatics, Line Opus, Salomon Rocker 2s I decided upon the Salomon Rocker 2s in 115mm width, which I think are wonderful - other people will probably disagree. I also read that Franzi Trimmel one of the guides for Piste to Powder mountain guides who skis lots and lots of different freeride skis reckons these are the best freeriding skis he has used. Reviews will vary though and different reviews can be almost completely contradicting. This years winner for big mountain skis in Ski and Board is Scott Scrapper. So my advice is to read lots and lots of reviews (from different sources), watch reviews/tests and user comments on youtube, and test ski if you can.

What usually happens now is that someone pipes up that we should be skiing on 65mm width race skis, and that it is a clear sign of weakness wanting to ski fat rockered skis (and really enjoy yourself) and that they love skiing super deep powder on super stiff narrow skis and that you are clearly technically deficient (and not as good as them) and you should sort your bloody technique out, and you should spend the money on lessons on piste and how dare you even think about skiing off-piste with the likes of them!

Happy hunting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finally got my Nordica Side burners mounted with G3 Onyx and beenout to play. There's not a lot of Virgin left but hit a couple of soft softspots in one of the back bowls 25-35cm and this 94 mm floated through it like a snowboard Shocked though this was not the ethereal champagne powder I've been told to expect Sad It's got me thinking that I'd like a fat friend for these and I've a chance for a serious discount on a pair of 184 Volkl Mantras with NTNs. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I am wondering just how fat we need to go with all the new tech and shaping?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, actually, I am currently liking Volkl Racetiger SuperG 203s...

I guess that's mellow?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
4FRNT MSP
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chrisssyg wrote:
As spyderjon says, a 180cm Redeemer sounds like a great option for you!

Make the Redeemers the Carbonlite ones, they are even better than the standard ones (which is saying something because the standard ones are very good indeed!).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
[snip]...but I am wondering just how fat we need to go with all the new tech and shaping?

It's not just a girth thing (though thankfully ski girth increases has just about kept pace with my own girth increase! Madeye-Smiley )
In light fluffy untracked pow you could probably ski on just about anything and it would be great, when I find these bigger funky shaped and rockered skis really shine is when the pow is a bit heavier (most of the time here!), or crusty, or chopped up, or... allowing you to ski harder for longer. IMHO performance in this area is absolutely spot on with the slightly different Redeemer shape
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, have looked at most of the recs above and they're either ridiculously expensive (500-600 quid) or I can't find them online.

I have however seen some very good deals on some skis, which although perhaps not proper powder skis, may still do the job well for a skinny rat such as myself.

Great deals I've seen are on the following:

Salomon Q98
Scott Venture
Line Prophet
Fisher Watea 94

All those skis are available to me for less than £300 and so I find myself asking - does a 65kg rider actually need something with 100mm+ Waist?

Should I go slightly narrower and save some money or just accept I need to spend a bit more.
latest report
nickr wrote:
- does a 65kg rider actually need something with 100mm+ Waist?

probably not.

but have a look here and knock yourself out with big skis at small prices Smile

http://www.sport-conrad.com/big_mountain___powder_skis/18/

On a more general note, I second the recommendation higher up for DPS 112 RPs. I have a pair of Hybrids (so not THAT expensive) and it's by far the most versatile ski I've owned - it's at least decent at everything and excellent at some conditions (trees, powder).
latest report
nickr,

Have a look at EdgeandWax. Atomic Automatics £375 with bindings. Also check out Snowtrax, Rock and Snow, Ellis Brigham.

You do not need a 100mm waste. But what does need mean? Do you want to be killing your legs in porridge like snow, do you want to enjoy a superb surfy feel?

If you are going to be doing lots of proper off-piste/backcountry/big mountains skiing then go fat and rockered.
latest report
JayDub wrote:

If you are going to be doing lots of proper off-piste/backcountry/big mountains skiing then go fat and rockered.

And you left out well they work on a slushy piste as well Little Angel

I bought for my OH some Armada VJJ 115 waist and her deep powder skiing had just got better and better with each outing, she's now used then ten times since Feb 9th and she was back in the UK for just over a week - and hopefully more to come from this weekend onwards.

I thought I was going wide at 104 but wish I too had gone 115 plus !
ski holidays
I haven't got to try my Whitedot Rangers yet but their new offers look pretty tasty. A pair of Carbonlites, bindings and skins for £820.01

http://www.whitedotskis.com/store?product_id=143
snow report
Some good deals also to be had at www.sports-outlet.co.uk Very Happy
snow conditions
nickr wrote:
Thanks everyone, have looked at most of the recs above and they're either ridiculously expensive (500-600 quid) or I can't find them online.

I have however seen some very good deals on some skis, which although perhaps not proper powder skis, may still do the job well for a skinny rat such as myself.

Great deals I've seen are on the following:

Salomon Q98
Scott Venture
Line Prophet
Fisher Watea 94

All those skis are available to me for less than £300 and so I find myself asking - does a 65kg rider actually need something with 100mm+ Waist?

Should I go slightly narrower and save some money or just accept I need to spend a bit more.

You can't be looking very hard then! Don't limit yourself to just UK shops either! Check out Sport Conrad, Sport Bittl and Black Sheep Sports.

And wait awhile; things will get cheaper in the summer sales. Check SportPursuit regularly, they often have real bargains. If you can wait 'til August/September, Down Skis will have their usual pre-season sale, with skis going for around 350 euros (delivered).

As to the other skis, they're in no way powder skis; they're normal all mountain skis. FWIW at 5kgs heavier than you, my 135mm, 118mm, and 116mm skis far far far outperform my 97mm and 92mm skis offpiste, whether there's powder or not. Considering you're building a quiver and have two sets of other skis already, there's no point getting something else in the mid-fat range; you just won't notice much difference! Go for something at least 110mm underfoot or you simply won't get that surfy feeling.
snow report
Telemark Pyrenes have some really good deals on the link posted above as well ^^

I've actually seen quite a few good deals on ebay as well, damn my empty bank account
latest report
Hmmm, after much research and deliberation I really like the look of the DPS Wailer's but funds don't stretch that far at the moment. I think I'm going keep my powder dry, if you'll excuse the pun, and see if they come down in price a bit later in the year.

Cheers for all the input guys, its been educational.
snow report
nickr,

Good choice mate.

Keep an eye on TGR they'll pop up there more frequently, Telemark Pyrenees also have them and also DPS do pre season sales. If all else fails set up an EBay alert. Persevere, they are worth it. Very Happy
snow conditions
nickr, I think DPS usually do a 'dream time' pre-season sale in late summer, 20-30% off?
latest report
matricks, clarky999, cheers guys, will keep a look out
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
180cm Whitedot Redeemer

Is the flex of 180 softer than 190?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Turns'n'turns wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
180cm Whitedot Redeemer

Is the flex of 180 softer than 190?

The construction is the identical on both lengths (in either the traditional or the CarbonLite) but the 180 will be a tad softer due to it's shorter length.
snow conditions
nickr, If you're man enough, I got a pair of ex-demo Scott Stunts, 196, with Salomon Z14 Speed (variable positioning bindings) that have less than a day's skiing. £ 175 delivered. A true pow-pow ski.
ski holidays
Having a had a few wiggles, I was surprised that the stunts aren't actually that stiff, which would make them an excellent pow ski. They're noticeably less stiff than the Pure (which has itself been softened recently). Similar to a Venture/Crusade I'd say, maybe a tad stiffer. I wouldn't go for a venture as an all out powder ski. If you're particularly after a Scott, look out for a Megadozer. They've just replaced it with the Scrapper so maybe some bargains to be had. 125mm underfoot, twin tip, twin enormous rocker, fairly flat underfoot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy