Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must pack item

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Imodium and money

indeed. You need to keep yourself liquid. But not too liquid.
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ ^ Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Daughter's salopettes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
His 'n' hers mugs as anywhere French never seems to have anything big enough. Also a container of tea-bags (carefully counted out!) for the week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LittleRob wrote:
His 'n' hers mugs as anywhere French never seems to have anything big enough. Also a container of tea-bags (carefully counted out!) for the week.

... and a Tea Pot. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No wonder there are so many threads about what ski gear you can or cannot take in hand luggage wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

and a Tea Pot

and, naturally, a tea cosy. And those nice little silver tongs for dropping the lumps of sugar in the tea (you know, the ones we all have in our kitchen useful drawers and don't know what to do with).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My new current fave must have item for a car journey is a large lightweight 2-3 litre wide topped jug i.e. like those often found in 99p shops. Left within grabbing distance in the boot it has revolutionised the process of keeping the washer bottle full when you arrive at a service area that doesn't have a garage and a watering can handy. Quick trip to the bathroom facilities, or stand alone tap that I have found with the jug and sufficient water can be procured to fill the washer bottle. It fits under taps, is easy to pour from, big enough that a single trip is enough, then all you need is the concentrated screen wash. It is also handy for washing lights, windows and wing mirrors particularly if a small washing up sponge/scourer is also carried in plastic bag. Since discovering this use by accident (I often take one for kitchen use in unknown apartments and had the bright idea of using it to fetch water when we were desperate for screen wash at an 'aire' where there were only loos) it is now top of the 'car packing list' in large letters and I would wholeheartedly recommend carrying one to anyone on a car trip to the Alps. It's useful for all sorts of things, even an emergency car sick case!! (NB. if anyone has a kid with this problem did you know that you can get air sickness bags on ebay? Ours don't get travel sick per se, but since having an incident I always poke a couple of these in their seat pockets). The jug takes up relatively little space as it is sufficiently large that it can easily have other stuff put inside it when not in use. It might sound the daftest item on the planet, but since discovering it we don't do long distances without the 3 litre plastic jug!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I have silver sugar tongs (can't do smilies on phone otherwise there would be an embarrassed obe here) which came with the sugar bowl/milk jug set. I'm not aware that either have been used....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

His 'n' hers mugs

We now have around 87 Vallandry mugs - as every time we go, we forget the mugs, so end up buying a few more in the souvineer shop
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
igLou wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Imodium and money

indeed. You need to keep yourself liquid. But not too liquid.
Laughing Laughing

another Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, you forgot the doilies.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hip flask.

If you are going to France take a decent sized bed with you. If you are going to Germany, take a decent sized towel with you. If you are staying on chalet not a hotel, then take an eye mask. Johnny Foreigner has never grasped the concept that curtains need to be lined, have to be at least as wide as the window and, bizarrely, are meant to keep OUT the light.

Take nail scissors, or trim toe nails before you go.

Toffee vodka to fill the hip flask.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, continental curtains are merely decor. If you want to keep the light/heat/fumes/burglars out you are supposed to use the shutters.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, Good point. The only problem is that several of the chalets I have stayed in don't have shutters.
latest report
foxtrotzulu, nice apartment in Chalet La Giettaz with electric shutters iirc
ski holidays
Quote:

you forgot the doilies.

Embarassed how could I! My standards must be slipping. foxtrotzulu, when the light comes in, it's time to get up and go skiing!
ski holidays
Decent sized beds, towels, electric shutters and even curtains in a place I know in Serrre Chevalier.
ski holidays
My suitcase never leaves for France without un appareil à raclette in there beside my ski boots.
snow report
This is my unexpurgated list (copy and paste from my computer).
Some items may be reduced or left out if I don't have room or weight allowance (eg ski waxing kit).
Unfortunately I now have to take a roll of magic foam in my backpack as hand luggage because of my back problems (in case of hard beds).
I pack for 8 days of skiing - my norm. I wear wicking under layers instead of shirts to ski. I gave up on taking thermals as I never used them.
Bin bag is for dirty laundry.

ski bag (skis, poles)
ski boots
skins + harscheisen
Helmet
Ski Jacket
Sallopettes
scarf / necker
8 wicking base layers
polo neck
3 shirts
8 underpants
I thin warm layer
2 thick sweater/fleece
8 pair ski socks
3 pairs socks
2 pairs gloves
ski hat (& spare hat)
goggles (spare goggles)
sunglasses
backpack
avalanche transceiver
shovel
probe
water bottle
hip flask (filled)

harness
Rope
prussiks, carabiners, ropeman
(First aid kit)
ski straps / spare pole basket
P-Tex / lighter
(file, travelling iron, ski-wax, scraper)
mobile phone & phone re-charger
plug-adaptor
camera

toiletries (mouthwash, toothpaste / toothbrush, deodorant, flannel, hairbrush)
suncream, lip salve, plasters, hair bands
pills (ibuprofen, statin)

paper / pens
passport
tickets
insurance papers
foreign money, credit card
book(s)
off piste book?
1:25,000 maps
compass

bin bag
magic foam mattress
snow report
...And a partridge in a pear tree?! wink
snow conditions
Humpfknick, damn, forgot them!

I notice that 22 of those items are either specifically because I am an (adventurous) off-piste skier or do my own ski servicing when I can.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 9-03-14 20:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

125,000 maps

Heavy

Matter of interest do you need two hats as well as a helmet?
Must admit to only taking a couple of base layers since I have used woollen ones they don't smell and need changing like the old ones.
snow report
My approach to packing is more of the 'velcro' kind.

In the days leading up to the trip, I basically walk through the house & gather things I'm going to need, and I kind of 'hoosh' them in the general direction of my bag.

If I start that maybe 3 days prior to my trip, by the time d-day comes it should all be in there. If not, I'll survive without it.

The safety equipment lives in Austria, so my survival is not dependant on my packing that wink

Works for me!! Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

This is my unexpurgated list (copy and paste from my computer).

Exactly how many weeks did you say you go for?
latest report
snowball, your list is extensive, but could be reduced a bit.
For 8 days skiing: 8 wicking base layers , 8 underpants , 8 pair ski socks?
8 Wicking Base Leyers. Get Icebreaker or similar Merino Wool stuff and you'll only need 2.
8 underpants. Surely you could halve that number . . . . Embarassed
8 pair ski socks. Wash them at the end of each day, and you'll only need 2 pairs.

I bet there are others that can be reduced, but that's a start. Smile
snow report
snowball, I guess that although you are an off-piste skier you don't tour from hut to hut. wink I don't possess 8 base layers OR 8 pairs of ski socks. If in civilized company, 2 would do. Even if they get pongy they wash and dry incredibly easily. If touring and having to carry, one set would do - wash once mid-week.

I do agree you need clean underpants every day and unless travelling light I'd take 8 too. If travelling light I'd take two and wash a pair at the end of each ski day.

I always thought you were a chap snowball, but your list suggests not - or do you have long hair?
snow conditions
pam w, he has long hair wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen french ski-tourers who put their clothes on at the start of the week and leave them there until the end. Saves all that uncomfortable dressing/undressing in a shared dormitory Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Saves all that uncomfortable dressing/undressing in a shared dormitory

Laughing
snow report
pam w, i too was confused about gender: "underpants" but "hair bands".
(now explained - thank you holidayloverxx, and Happy Birthday Smile )
I wonder if one pair of pants/knickers a day is a girl thing.
Admittedly it's what i tend to do at home in UK, but come skiing i reckon a pair can certainly last 2 days - maybe more Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I wonder if one pair of pants/knickers a day is a girl thing.

all the girls I know, and most of the boys, wear clean knickers every day. Putting on dirty ones after a shower..... Shocked
ski holidays
Jonpim,
Quote:

a pair can certainly last 2 days - maybe more

Shocked Skullie
snow conditions
Pedantica, perhaps he uses panty liners?
ski holidays
pam w, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
if Im staying in a hotel Id have two pairs of knickers a day - as Id shower when I got in and before going down to dinner...wouldnt put used pants back on.

I try very hard not to do any washing on any holiday.
snow report
pam w, Pedantica, Prepare to be shocked - when my son was a teenager, I cast an eye over his 'packing' & there were only 2 pairs of underpants for 14 days! He reckoned he could wear each pair 4 times before it needed washing - normal way, back to front, inside out normal way & inside out back to front. And on his reckoning, one pair would have been returned by the laundry fairy before the next 4 days had run out Shocked Skullie Laughing
snow conditions
genepi, I am duly shocked. Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:

all the girls I know, and most of the boys, wear clean knickers every day. Putting on dirty ones after a shower..... Shocked

I always had you down as a commando sort of gal.
snow report
I took a helmet for the first time this year but hadn't thought to change the list to one hat. I do tend to perspire quite a lot if the weather is warm, but I might cut down on several things if necessary (especially as I now have to fit the helmet).
Yes, pony tail I'm afraid (when I was an architecture student it was the end of the 60s and was normal; then as a semi-mature art student [see my sig /website] it was an arty sort of thing to have and I just carried on... and on till I found I was a senior citizen, still with a pony tail). Usually I lose a hairband at some point on the slopes so take a spare.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy