Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I were to have a pick of any ski I wanted what would SH's reccomend?

Poster: A snowHead
tricky snowheads also recognises sh 1 t as a naughty word
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HD - I'm really impressed that you can carve blacks at any speed - in that case recommend you get a pair of 27m radius professional race department giant slalom skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a pair of blizzard 192 factories for sale, marker comp 20 binding.... dunno where the mount point is though...

FIS reg is 35m now though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Indeed Dulcamara but as the pros can't do a pure carve on 35m radius on a black run suggest OP starts off on 27m radius race dept ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara, sorry, not sure what you mean by plastic old guard (plastic race rat? I was, but not for about 10 years and at a crap level) but I have little doubt that you are a better skier than I am Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, I was the kid wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate wrote:
lynseyf,
Quote:
So how does this fit in with the idea of mounting women's skis forward because of different COM?
perfectly well. The woman's ski is mounted further forward relative to the unisex variant of the same ski, therefore French women's skis' variants are further forward than German women's skis' variants. Quid pro quo.

Might explain why some men like skiing on women's skis though. If their previous skis were German and they've never experienced a more forward mounting it could be a revelation - they think it's because it's a woman's ski but they could get the same benefit from a French unisex ski.

That wasn't really what I meant, I'm not sure you can really generalise like that. I have a pair of women's Volks and men's Rossis here, both supposed to be 177cm but the Volkls are a good few cm longer, the Volkls also have the mounting position further back but then they are flat while the Rossis are really rockered. I would imagine the mount point is more ski type specific rather than brand?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, you've got to compare like with like. You can't compare a flat ski with a rockered ski because the effective running lengths are not the same.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate wrote:
DB,
Quote:
Yes I saw him dropping hints, didn't know you had helped him off-line but didn't see you commenting on the recent improvements he's made.

What improvements? He's looking more comfortable and balanced and can now control his speed. But that's it. He's basically moved up from dangerous idiot to vaguely competent on-piste punter level.

His stance has improved because I highlighted ankle flex to him as the number one priority he should focus on in a very lengthy post way back on page 11 of that thread - over 50 pages ago. That post took me nearly 3 hours to write what with analysing, freeze-framing, cutting and pasting his video. Has anyone else spent that much time helping him? That was just one post. The PMs I sent him (in response to requests for help from him) were similarly time consuming. I sent him links to Darren Turner's videos explaining in depth how they related to his own skiing. He asked me for a one-to-one lesson in the UK which I agreed to if he covered my petrol and lift pass (nothing for my time) but he didn't want to pay anything. Sorry, but there's only so much philanthropy I can give and it's run out.

But he still wants to take BASI exams this spring. If he passes BASI (even L1) this spring it won't be because he's worked really hard and done really well, it'll be because BASI have lost the plot. I've got no problem with his ambition and good luck to him but (I think) he's now done 8 weeks on snow. It's not enough. The reality of his skiing is he still can't do a basic parallel turn on the gentlest of gradients, over-rotates and leads with his shoulders on anything steeper, has no pole plant, can't carve and can't ski variable terrain without spending 2 hours looking for his ski. Would you want to be taught by him at his current level? Would you want someone with those faults accredited as an Instructor, even at the most basic level? IMO, he's badge chasing when he should be focussing on constructive time on snow.

I haven't commented on his latest videos because there's only so many times you can repeat yourself and I'm aware that my comments are no longer being perceived as constructive by some. I'm trying to save him from making a fool of himself on the BASI course because I know how demoralising that can be but as his signature says, "you can't teach a fool" so I've basically given up on him. Point him to this post if you want but as they say on the telly, "I'm out."

But Mate
Dosen't the above qualify as a "comment"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, yes, but despite the goading I didn't want to put you down on your own thread. Unfortunately, I've risen to someone else's goading here so more fool me. No hard feelings I hope and I wish you all the best in achieving your dream.

And those skis you've just bought were friggin' cheap!! Hope to see you do them justice one day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Really, It's not a problem, we all get carried away some times.
I am grateful for the help, you know that.
Hope the knees good
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 90kg, 5'11" and would probably say I've got a similar level of experience as the OP (and have carved the odd black, when freshly bashed and empty). I bought the Head Titans in 170 this year and love them. I'm certainly not as fit as I once was but find them a great 'advanced' ski. They replaced a pair of Head Cyber WC Slaloms (170) and Atomic Beta Race Carv 9,20s (also 170).

I don't find them too demanding (like the Atomics!!) but if I feel like 'turning it on' they're fabulous. They're not bad on the odd foray off piste or through accumulated on piste powder either. If you can try a pair, I'd recommend putting them on the list.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So the upshot of this thread is the ONLY person who can carve a black is either an Olympic Gold Medal skier or God, or am I missing something.

Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty much, yes.
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, I've done it from time to time, so the thread's wrong. Mind you, I ski in Italy quite a lot.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:

And those skis you've just bought were friggin' cheap!! Hope to see you do them justice one day.

+1 (to both parts)
ski holidays
homers double, I am the best skier on the mountain and currently am thrilled to bits with my new Völkl RTM 81s. Great on piste and, what I have seen so far, great in European off piste ( i.e heavy powder & sludge & broken crud ). The kipper's knickers in fact. Try some.
PS. I would have posted some video of me skiing but the GoPro couldn't handle the G forces. I need a stronger camera.
PPS. I have no idea where the bindings are mounted. Somewhere in the middle I think.
ski holidays
Steilhang, Excellent post.
ski holidays
I'm sure all expertish skiers have carved blacks under helpful conditions (empty, wide, good snow). But there is a big difference between that and saying "I carve blacks" which suggests to me that you generally ski black runs in a sequence of linked carved turns. I've not met anyone who really does that.
snow report
and definitely not on undersized 1080s!
snow conditions
and I don't really understand how an expertish piste skier is not more confident/competent off-piste. The technique is really very similar these days

But I think there have been some very good suggestions on the types of skis - particularly from raceplate
latest report
Raceplate, Don't feed the troll wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Timbobaggins, I've done it from time to time, so the thread's wrong. Mind you, I ski in Italy quite a lot.

I get it now,

Last year I skiid La Rosiere, whilst on the French side I was snow plough turning for Great Britain, when I got to La Thuile, I skiid like Bode Miller.

This year I went to Montgenevre and skiid like a tw++t

Soon as I got to Claviere, I was a ski god.

Spooky
latest report
Quote:

And if you're referring to that idiot geeo, it's obvious from all his other posts that he's just a troll who likes to wind people up; I'm not rising to it. If you view that as backing down, fine but I view it as being the bigger man.

Lol

still being a knobjockey I see
snow report
jedster wrote:
I'm sure all expertish skiers have carved blacks under helpful conditions (empty, wide, good snow). But there is a big difference between that and saying "I carve blacks" which suggests to me that you generally ski black runs in a sequence of linked carved turns. I've not met anyone who really does that.

Who really does what? Link turns on a black run?
ski holidays
FWIW this is what I would define as carving on a red/black

Much respect to anyone who can!

http://youtube.com/v/k36aXidKTPY
snow report
kitenski, can carving be something else then this? Well I guess for majority of people I see on slopes nowadays, and who think today's skis make perfect arcs all by themself as soon as you put them to edge, carving actually means something else, as everyone are "perfect carvers" with these "new" skis. But other other then this, this is pretty much only real carving, and I still don't see where you guys got idea it's not possible to do it on black runs, unless you are World cup skier.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To me carving on steep terrain is like drawing a perfect circle time and time again. I don't think anyone carves perfectly all the time esp on steep terrain and what people accept as carving differs. You only have do a quick search on "carving steep" in youtube to see what some people believe carving is.
latest report
jogi, if you just tip your ski on edge on a black run you won't be carving, well you may be for a small part of the turn.....

Not many folk are "perfect carvers"

So that's why I think most folk (me included) won't be able to carve on a black run...as DB says it's two perfect clean lines, with no skid in between turn after turn after turn on a black run.

That video is my definition of carving on a black run, just tipping your skis on edge, smearing the turn, rotating at the start, skidding at the end even if some part of the turn is on edge are not carving. But that's my personal opinion!
ski holidays
Quote:

That terrain looks like a particularly blue shade of red/black!
snow conditions
kitenski, obviously I wasn't sarcastic enough. Most of people think, putting skis on edge is all you need to do, and you are making perfect carving turns already. In reality things look a little bit different. Just putting ski on edge basically doesn't do a shi*t, and as soon as it's not really flat, you end up skidding, just like with old skis. And 90% of people are everything else but carving. I know pretty good what it takes to make normal carving turns when slopes get steep.
snow report
Does getting your hand down count?
snow report
P.s wine means I can't really be cant be arsed typing a full response.
snow report
Breakfast_Chimp wrote:
Quote:

That terrain looks like a particularly blue shade of red/black!

+1
latest report
+2
ski holidays
kitenski,
Quote:

That video is my definition of carving on a black run

If that's a black run that video is my definition of a very badly graded piste.
snow conditions
swiftoid wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

That video is my definition of carving on a black run

If that's a black run that video is my definition of a very badly graded piste.

Looking at the video that looks like a classic Glacier A frame T bar off to the right. It's not the Kaserer I drag on Hintertux is it?
snow report
homers double,

Quote:

Who really does what? Link turns on a black run?

I see you cunningly removed the important "carved" from my point Very Happy
I don't see any skiers routinely skiiing blackruns in a smooth sequence of linked carves (i.e., no steering skidding between the turns). But as I said in my post, I'd have thought most good skiers do ski occasional sections of black runs doing exactly that.
ski holidays
That was my post, not a copied quite.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy