Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I were to have a pick of any ski I wanted what would SH's reccomend?

Poster: A snowHead
Possibly hypothetical at the moment but possibily a reality in the next few weeks.

I would say I'm a hard skier with good technique, can carve down a black at any speed and stop at very short notice (for all the "ski safe" crew"). I can hold my own in the rough but am not the best and this area can be improved massivly. Reds are just a playground to zip around on with the kid.

Mogules are ok, I can ski the fall line down a full piste without losing my nerve.

Current skis are Solomon 1080 foils twin tips, 174cm as at some point I decided I'd like to land backwards...

I cant.

So in reality I'm looking for a high street available ski/binding combo to suit my style of skiing, price is not an issue but pleaser rule out gear which is speacial order/boutiqe stuff, for example browse ellis brigham and pick something from there.

I'm around 100kg although the wife is looking at reducing that over the next few months and I'm 5'10", aged 37 if that makes any difference.

I'm not up to date with gear as my skiing tends to be enjoyment based rather than tech if you know what I mean.

Fire away please

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this just for skiing as detailed above, or will you be venturing further afield?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

can carve down a black at any speed

Wow. Not many people can do that.

Quote:

I'm around 100kg although the wife is looking at reducing that over the next few months and I'm 5'10", aged 37 if that makes any difference

Wow again. BMI 31.6? Maybe getting into ski touring would be good as you seem to have conquered the pistes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

can carve down a black at any speed

Wow, impressive. Best skier on the mountain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please post a video of you carving a black!!

a good all round ski, something like the Head Titan?

Can you get to a fridge and demo some out??

Otherwise the world is your oyster, loads of choices/info here

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/mens_skis-46.aspx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homers double, you're going to take a lot of stick on here for what you've just written about your ability. I was just going to take the pi55 but Pam W's beaten me to it so instead I'll gently suggest you re-appraise yourself to get some sensible recommendations.

Nobody carves Blacks (well, not normal people anyway. A WC Racer probably can, L4 Instructors/long term locals in perfect conditions maybe but that's about it. And they wouldn't be on 1080's, they'd be on Slalom Race skis.)

The 1080 is a pretty soft ski and at your weight is both too short and too soft for you. It's extremely forgiving and I suspect it's making you think you're a much better skier than you really are. With your weight and that length I'd be impressed if you could carve a Blue without the ski bucking and if you are that good you wouldn't be struggling in the rough.

How many weeks on snow have you done? How many weeks a year do you do? What ratio on/off piste? What type of skiing do you want to improve? Answer those and you might get some sensible recommendations.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Wow again. BMI 31.6? Maybe getting into ski touring would be good as you seem to have conquered the pistes.

Wow indeed, 31.6, Definitely +1 pam w, For the "Mr Blobby" build I think ski touring would be a great idea, or cross country skiing? Basically anything with a high calorie burn.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
American Black (some places) = Blue
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, a quick search on his user name says he's just spent 2 weeks in Sestriere and loves Italian skiing. Explains a lot wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have to say thank god that the op is a 1000 poster otherwise he's hardly been given the snowheads welcome has he.

pam w, andyrew, i'd google "homer from the simpsons" its a new cartoon series that is relatively popular, it wont last imv. I think the OP is already aware of his body given his name....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hobbiteater, +1

Seemed a sensible question, and think he was pointing out he is not looking for a beginner ski.

Dynastar Chrome or Atomic Nomad, I liked.

I tried some Volkl skis , which were great, but other than being black and having a chunk of metal running through them cannot remember.

Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice place snowheads, ask for some advice and people call you fat.

Assume you are both gods gift.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Red Skis would be best... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater wrote:
i have to say thank god that the op is a 1000 poster otherwise he's hardly been given the snowheads welcome has he.

pam w, andyrew, i'd google "homer from the simpsons" its a new cartoon series that is relatively popular, it wont last imv. I think the OP is already aware of his body given his name....

Give the original post: "Hard skier who can carve down a black at any speed" I think Pam_w and a number of the rest of us have decided that mr simpson is making a less than serious request. (nay, verging on troll).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Being called fat! Pfffft, that's nothing. Within my first few posts I was branded a rubbish husband and kitten drowner (last bit might not be true).

Anyway - 100kgs & 5'10" is never going to be Mr. Svelte, perhaps he has a hardcore Rugby build. However, it has relevance, if perhaps indelicately referenced, when looking at solutions to the posed question.
ski holidays
AsterixTG, don't forget binge-drinking, chain-smoking, slobby kebab-eater wink
snow report
Hehehe - that's not bloody me either! rolling eyes Laughing

Luckily I have broad shoulders and a healthy dose of 'dontgiveaf*ckness'.
latest report
Raceplate, no, that was somebody else... wink

frankly, anybody who comes on SHs and claims to be able to carve black runs at any speed (a feat which a number of ski instructors, including an extremely experienced Austrian fully qualified chap and the man who went on to run BASS have assured me they can't do) is asking for it.

It also irritated me that he said "the wife" intended that he should lose weight.

Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy this morning!
ski holidays
Same old same old then Pam? wink
latest report
AsterixTG, not at all. You will find that I am rarely grumpy and even less often grumpy with somebody who has done nothing to deserve it. Little Angel
snow report
Perhaps a carbon Orbea to be used cycling up the mountains might be more useful than new skis? Would reduce the BMI that Pam, so cruelly, calculated and would toughen the thighs up for next seasons carving on black runs.
snow conditions
Sure black runs can be this or that, but you don't need to be World cup skier to carve down black runs (including courses where World cup races are held), at least if you are free skiing and not going through the gates. So "nobody can carve black" is not true. If you can't do this, that doesn't mean no one can.
As for original question, my pick is GS race ski. For me, that's definitely most "fun ski" you can get. Of course if you are staying on groomed tracks.
snow report
jogi, got some video of you carving a black run???
snow report
pam w, that's all good then Very Happy
snow conditions
kitenski, no, but if you really wish, I will try to remember and make one next time. rolling eyes
latest report
kitenski wrote:
jogi, got some video of you carving a black run???

on some 1080's Laughing
latest report
And balast!
snow report
Quote:

even less often grumpy with somebody who has done nothing to deserve it

roflol

homers double, Volkl Kendo sounds about right. http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741679/products/volkl_kendo_mens_2014_skis_skis_only_.aspx

I spend most of my time on it's slightly wider brother, the Mantra, and quite a proportion of that time is on piste. I had a day on Kendos 2 seasons ago in some decidedly ropey off piste and thought they'd make a good all rounder, especially if more piste focussed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seriously though, I have often thought about getting some GS skis to play on, any recommendations?
snow conditions
Quote:
Volkl Kendo sounds about right.

89mm waist, 24m turn radius for carving Blacks???? Schussing them maybe....
snow conditions
homers double, I'd say Movement Le Fer.

But then again, I haven't tried the Heads:- who wants to be a sheep wink
latest report
jogi wrote:
kitenski, no, but if you really wish, I will try to remember and make one next time. rolling eyes

Yes please.
latest report
Well, back to the desk to be met with a tirade of abuse from people who have nothing better to insult people over the internet?

Well done (some) people, really well done.

Mosha Marc wrote:
Is this just for skiing as detailed above, or will you be venturing further afield?

I would like to better myself off piste, not particularly avalanche territory as our skiing holidays are a family affair.

kitenski wrote:
Please post a video of you carving a black!! A slightly shortened last holiday put a stop to some filming on gopro, so no, not at the moment.
a good all round ski, something like the Head Titan? Thank you.
Can you get to a fridge and demo some out?? If there is a demo day, yes. Chill F is about 20 minutes away.

Raceplate wrote:

How many weeks on snow have you done? How many weeks a year do you do? What ratio on/off piste? What type of skiing do you want to improve? Answer those and you might get some sensible recommendations.

On average for the first 20 of my 27 years skiing I've averaged about 2 weeks per year, now as the cash flow has increased it varies (for the last 7) to 3-4 weeks per year

Ratio would be (at a guess) 95% on piste and off varies from skiing through the trees at the side with little HD to the odd shallow powder field if there is new snow. Its the latter I'd really like to improve on.

Raceplate wrote:

The 1080 is a pretty soft ski and at your weight is both too short and too soft for you. It's extremely forgiving and I suspect it's making you think you're a much better skier than you really are. With your weight and that length I'd be impressed if you could carve a Blue without the ski bucking and if you are that good you wouldn't be struggling in the rough.

A sensible comment again, thank you and I will take it on board.

andyrew wrote:
Quote:

Wow indeed, 31.6, Definitely +1 pam w, For the "Mr Blobby" build I think ski touring would be a great idea, or cross country skiing? Basically anything with a high calorie burn.

Followed by a pretty pointless comment. For calorie burn I ride bikes, MTB mainly and a bit of road. As an example I finished 75th out of a field of 2500 riders in a recent road sportive.

Bob wrote:
I think Red Skis would be best... Toofy Grin

Agreed, it IS the fastest colour!

pam w wrote:

It also irritated me that he said "the wife" intended that he should lose weight.
Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy this morning!

Possibly, so why not go and grump elsewhere. I didn't ask for your rude comments and quite frankly think they are best placed up your own back bottom.

[quote="under a new name"]
Quote:

homers double, Volkl Kendo sounds about right. http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741679/products/volkl_kendo_mens_2014_skis_skis_only_.aspx

Those look like a good candidate, thank you.

Mosha Marc wrote:
homers double, I'd say Movement Le Fer.

Thanks, unfortunatly unavailable where I may be looking however that isn't to say they cant get them so will keep them in mind.

No too address some points, I know I'm no gym rat so don't really care about the snide comments about weight. We're all made differently, some with a beer gut and some with big heads. I don't pass judgment on people but hey-ho, I suppose I'm not a lady's front bottom.

Regarding the carving, I know how I ski and tried to give a reasonable description, hence saying-

homers double wrote:
I can hold my own in the rough but am not the best and this area can be improved massivly.

However with the amount of cowdoo on this forum I'll forgive people for disbelieving anything written.

Top and bottom of it, thank you for the reccomendations and the middle finger to some of you.
snow report
Quote:

thank you for the reccomendations and the middle finger to some of you.

This made me giggle, not sure why, but seems like a fair response

Oh yeah and Chris Robshaw has a BMI of 31.1
ski holidays
Homers Double, glad you responded / defended and let a few know what you think of their posts. Snowheads are notorious for offering really good advice and opinions but you do need to see past the inevitable P1ss taking which is normally given in good spirit and generally for entertainment.

Take a look at the Scott Punishers as they are pretty versatile and good fun with some forgiveness.
ski holidays
Piddletaking I can accept and will give out as good as I get however snotty remarks from faceless internet prats are not needed and not what I came here to get.

Punishers seem too off piste for me, I think a more piste orientated ski would be better.
latest report
homers double wrote:
Piddletaking I can accept and will give out as good as I get however snotty remarks from faceless internet prats are not needed and not what I came here to get.

agreed - some quite unnecessary personal remarks, IMHO
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
Seriously though, I have often thought about getting some GS skis to play on, any recommendations?

Atomic Redster D2 GS - http://yellowgentian.com/ski-reviews/piste/atomic-redster-d2-gs for a review.

Will let you know very quickly when you are not in the correct place Smile and you need to work them fairly hard, but they give back in spades when you do, especially in piste shorts, longs and in variable!

Re: BMI - I personally really dislike the use of BMI on athletes or actually anyone with a modicum of physical sports prowess. It give a VERY generic outcome that doesn't take body morphology (other than height) into account.
I am 7% body fat (A FAR more accurate measurement of body composition and relative body morphology) and I am almost considered overweight on the BMI scales.
As has been pointed out Chris Robshaw apparently has a BMI of 31.1! OBESE!? I think not!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-03-14 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Usual Snowheads response from some people on here, pretty much from the ones i would expect, shame.

Get out and demo as many pairs of skis you can, try them on all types of snow if poss and don't rush into it, sorry about some of the less helpful posts but don't let the snowheads God's put you off!!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
.... I know I'm no gym rat so don't really care about the snide comments about weight. We're all made differently, some with a beer gut and some with big heads..

Is this you?

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy