Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I were to have a pick of any ski I wanted what would SH's reccomend?

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst pausing for breath wink at the bottom of black number 25 in Sauze a few weeks ago I overheard a chap and thought of this forum.

He passed judgment of my brother in law's technique and added "at least he got down" before he skiied off. Skied off badly, fluffed a few turns and fell over in a heap.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raceplate wrote:
Quote:
Volkl Kendo sounds about right.

89mm waist, 24m turn radius for carving Blacks???? Schussing them maybe....

Sidecut radius is not the limit of turn radius. Especially with rocker. You can't go wrong with Volkl. I thought the Kendo's very pleasant, quite playful and very skiable on piste.

The off piste was not worth discussion Shocked with overcooked slush at the top, a brief pitch of quite pleasant sugar and then refrozen slush on the northfacing lower 60% of the route we did. The Mantras would have coped better I think in all of that but the Kendos did just fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, No, I'm far better looking.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
homers double, seeing as you already ski on Salomon I would demo a pair of these in 178

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/24-hours-max---z12.html

Good all rounder without being too stiff.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homers double wrote:
DB, No, I'm far better looking.

Thanks for the honest and unbiased response. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now those sound the part, especially liking the semi twin tip as I can ski (slowly) backwards to capture our group on the helmet cam.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homers double, ha ha makes a change for me not to be the bad boy wink

Well, if you started at age 10 and have done 60 odd weeks you really should be a half decent skier so should be looking at advanced/expert level skis with some metal in them.

For piste orientated but ok for shallow powder/crud I would stick to around 80mm width with a tip rocker:

Salomon Enduro XT800 in a 182cm (maybe 175cm if you lose 10kg)
Kastle MX78 in a 178cm
Kastle MX83 in a 183cm.
Head Titan in a 177cm (hardcore ski, might be too demanding - 170cm at 90kg),
Head Rev 80 Pro in a 184cm, maybe 177cm
Blizzard 8.0Ti in a 179cm.

I'm similar stats to you but 90kg (of pure muscle, obviously wink ) and probably a bit more technical and that would be my shortlist. Suspect only the Salomon is available at Ellis Brigham.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's me thinking this was going to be the biggest internet hangbag scuffle since PJSki and Goldsmith only to see Raceplate crumble as soon as someone bites back. Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate, Without sounding pretentious, which is quite difficult from behind a keyboard, you'd think I could get down the hill in a reasonable manner wink

The XT800's were on a list gathered a few months ago whilst window shopping so a good reminder, and 10kg is on the cards this year if I get my well definded and muscular 1% body fat back bottom into gear...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or Dynastar Outland 80 or 87's

I ski on the Outland 80's. am 6 foot 1 and 13 and a half stone, 178cm length

Whilst I do not profess to be a great skier, these skis do pretty much anything you want, will be looking for a pair of the 87,s myself for next season
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name,
Quote:
You can't go wrong with Volkl.

Actually I think you can. As a brand they're well known for being loved by muscular ex-racers and long term seasonnaires but can be extremely demanding for casual holiday skiers. I also dislike their recommended binding mount position which is too far back of centre compared to French skis which promotes skidding as opposed to carving. I once spent most of a season on a pair of highly lauded Volkls but my skiing was transformed when I switched to a near identical geometry but more forward mounted pair of Rossi's.

I wouldn't be recommending Volkl to a self-confessed overweight holiday skier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know whether to laugh or reply with a simple "fcuk you!"

Given it's probably sound advice I'll go with the former.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB,
Quote:
only to see Raceplate crumble as soon as someone bites back

What the fcuk are you on about?

If it makes you feel better I still don't believe he can carve Blacks Toofy Grin

Disclaimer: Namby-pamby Italian Blacks that would be dark blue in France don't count. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A classic POIDH situation arises, I'll see if any wobbly gopro footage is in existance but if there is it'll be mounted on my head so won't see any technique.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raceplate, re Volkls... hmmm... not my experience (p.s. I also like Rossi) but I can probably see where you're coming from. While I could say that no-one I've suggested Volkls too don't like them, I tend to hang out with ex-racers and saisonnaires.

In this particular case, given that homers double suggests that he's quite burly, I'd think that an equally burly ski would be required. NB, personally I tip the scales at a featherweight 60kgs and v. much like all my Volkls.

Curious, why does binding mounting have influence on skidding vs carving?
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
What the fcuk are you on about?

For clarification .....
Just my opinion but you are often very direct and critical of other people e.g. Franzklammer but as soon as someone bit back you changed your style to being very helpful.
snow conditions
I can carve Blacks in La Plagne I can also straight line them in a pretty decent tuck Very Happy

Can't do it on the tough mogully bit that's the top two thirds of the entire run 'tho wink
snow report
I'd say that HEAD iTitan in a 177cm would fit the bill perfectly, 170cm if you're serious about losing some weight.

Awesome ski, fantastic edge grip and no speed limits, will also go off-piste quite happily.
snow conditions
Just found a picture of me on one of those blacks snowHead (Ignore the board thing I had just stolen it's the only way to slow 'em down!)
The pic was taken at the bottom of the Black called Les Crozats .....
ski holidays
I see no helmet...
snow report
homers double, Look closer wink
Funnily enough we were just off for Pancakes at ChaletFriolin Toofy Grin
snow report
homers double, This season my son has got Head Titans.....loves them, bit upset when one of his pupils skied over them on day one Smile My OH is raving about the Kastle (don't know the model but they are white and have grey oval windows at the tip Puzzled )
latest report
DB, I'm very direct by nature but nobody forces you to read my posts. If I'm helpful one day and critical the next it's because I'm schizophrenic wink

You won't know but I've given franzClammer a massive amount of help offline by PM so when I'm critical it's because I'm frustrated at him still not doing the things he should be doing to improve. He understands that and presumably still wants my input or he wouldn't keep dropping hints for me to comment on his latest videos, would he? And if you're referring to that idiot geeo, it's obvious from all his other posts that he's just a troll who likes to wind people up; I'm not rising to it. If you view that as backing down, fine but I view it as being the bigger man.
ski holidays
Quote:

I view it as being the bigger man

albeit nearly all muscle....
snow conditions
homers double, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much skis have improved since the 1080.

If your that close to chill factore you should definitely demo some skis. Your weight may overpower some skis, so try longer than your 1080s....
ski holidays
under a new name, it might be a bit over-simplified but this is the theory: the German ski companies (Volkl, Atomic,Fischer, etc) generally mount their bindings further back which is more comfortable for skiers who skid their turns because it feels more stable when you sit back on the ski. The French companies (Rossignol, Salomon, Dynastar etc) mount their bindings further forward which helps you stay forward and carve more easily.

A more forward mount helps to initiate the turn by making it easier to get the tips in and so promotes good technique. More forward helps the beginning of the turn, more back helps the end of the turn. More forward may feel 'squirrelly' though with poor technique whereas more back feels more stable. A backward mounting may feel 'dead' with anything less than excellent technique.

I think strong, technical skiers love Volkl because they have the strength and technique to still get forward on a more backward mounting and really work the ski so they get the benefits of the rebound and reverse camber as well as the stability of the shorter tail. For a less skilled, weaker skier though, they can't make it work and are just riding the tails all the time (probably without even realising it) so they never improve.

You might argue that in some ways a backward mounting should appeal to everybody - the strong, fit, expert can make it work and the 1 week a year skier feels stable and content and isn't bothered about improving because he doesn't expect to. I think there's a middle category though of good and improving technical skiers who don't have a seasonnaire's strength and fitness level and for them it's not helping them. Unfortunately, I'm in that category now and I suspect the OP is too.
latest report
Quote:
My OH is raving about the Kastle (don't know the model but they are white and have grey oval windows at the tip

The grey one is the MX78 I mentioned earlier.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
under a new name, it might be a bit over-simplified but this is the theory: the German ski companies (Volkl, Atomic,Fischer, etc) generally mount their bindings further back which is more comfortable for skiers who skid their turns because it feels more stable when you sit back on the ski. The French companies (Rossignol, Salomon, Dynastar etc) mount their bindings further forward which helps you stay forward and carve more easily.

A more forward mount helps to initiate the turn by making it easier to get the tips in and so promotes good technique. More forward helps the beginning of the turn, more back helps the end of the turn. More forward may feel 'squirrelly' though with poor technique whereas more back feels more stable. A backward mounting may feel 'dead' with anything less than excellent technique.

So how does this fit in with the idea of mounting women's skis forward because of different COM? Women are naturally better skiers and don't skid their turns? NehNeh

(quickly deletes post where I say I don't like the forward mount on women's skis)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf,
Quote:
So how does this fit in with the idea of mounting women's skis forward because of different COM?
perfectly well. The woman's ski is mounted further forward relative to the unisex variant of the same ski, therefore French women's skis' variants are further forward than German women's skis' variants. Quid pro quo.

Might explain why some men like skiing on women's skis though. If their previous skis were German and they've never experienced a more forward mounting it could be a revelation - they think it's because it's a woman's ski but they could get the same benefit from a French unisex ski.
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
DB, I'm very direct by nature but nobody forces you to read my posts. If I'm helpful one day and critical the next it's because I'm schizophrenic wink

You won't know but I've given franzClammer a massive amount of help offline by PM so when I'm critical it's because I'm frustrated at him still not doing the things he should be doing to improve. He understands that and presumably still wants my input or he wouldn't keep dropping hints for me to comment on his latest videos, would he?

Yes I saw him dropping hints, didn't know you had helped him off-line but didn't see you commenting in public on the recent improvements he's made. Just looked like you were out to criticise without praise.
snow report
It sounds like most of your skiing is on piste so why not something like the head Titan mentioned above. I ski the head magnum a narrower waist ski and its the best ski I've ever skied on. I wouldn't have thought if you ski primarily in piste you would want to go to an out and out free ride ski.
snow conditions
DB,
Quote:
Yes I saw him dropping hints, didn't know you had helped him off-line but didn't see you commenting on the recent improvements he's made.

What improvements? He's looking more comfortable and balanced and can now control his speed. But that's it. He's basically moved up from dangerous idiot to vaguely competent on-piste punter level.

His stance has improved because I highlighted ankle flex to him as the number one priority he should focus on in a very lengthy post way back on page 11 of that thread - over 50 pages ago. That post took me nearly 3 hours to write what with analysing, freeze-framing, cutting and pasting his video. Has anyone else spent that much time helping him? That was just one post. The PMs I sent him (in response to requests for help from him) were similarly time consuming. I sent him links to Darren Turner's videos explaining in depth how they related to his own skiing. He asked me for a one-to-one lesson in the UK which I agreed to if he covered my petrol and lift pass (nothing for my time) but he didn't want to pay anything. Sorry, but there's only so much philanthropy I can give and it's run out.

But he still wants to take BASI exams this spring. If he passes BASI (even L1) this spring it won't be because he's worked really hard and done really well, it'll be because BASI have lost the plot. I've got no problem with his ambition and good luck to him but (I think) he's now done 8 weeks on snow. It's not enough. The reality of his skiing is he still can't do a basic parallel turn on the gentlest of gradients, over-rotates and leads with his shoulders on anything steeper, has no pole plant, can't carve and can't ski variable terrain without spending 2 hours looking for his ski. Would you want to be taught by him at his current level? Would you want someone with those faults accredited as an Instructor, even at the most basic level? IMO, he's badge chasing when he should be focussing on constructive time on snow.

I haven't commented on his latest videos because there's only so many times you can repeat yourself and I'm aware that my comments are no longer being perceived as constructive by some. I'm trying to save him from making a fool of himself on the BASI course because I know how demoralising that can be but as his signature says, "you can't teach a fool" so I've basically given up on him. Point him to this post if you want but as they say on the telly, "I'm out."
snow conditions
Raceplate, it's an interesting theory but is there any actual evidence that it's true?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

frankly, anybody who comes on SHs and claims to be able to carve black runs at any speed (a feat which a number of ski instructors, including an extremely experienced Austrian fully qualified chap and the man who went on to run BASS have assured me they can't do) is asking for it.

The last time I saw someone carving a black run at any speed (well - only quite quickly actually) it was this chap:
http://youtube.com/v/RWMSn5xuEFQ
Now, that, is what I call carving black runs.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 4-03-14 20:37; edited 6 times in total
snow report
Haha, I know this is a throw away comment, but i disagree with so much on this thread that im not even going to try and argue...

homers double, a lot of these skis people are chatting on about are so similar that you'll get used to whichever, have a bargain hunt, could even throw some options on here when you've found them and people can make a more definitive suggestion, otherwise you will get a barrage of hundreds of random skis, mounting points and abuse. Do a bit of leg work then we have a starting point.

Do I know you Raceplate? you seem like a lot of people I know... Confused

oh and i can carve on black runs.... bite me! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Raceplate,

Is this you?

http://youtube.com/v/o1AtAQM1mNw
snow conditions
I'd take a look at the Solomon Q98's as you suggested to go off-piste Madeye-Smiley
snow report
dulcamara,
Quote:
Do I know you Raceplate? you seem like a lot of people I know...

depends if that's a good or a bad thing!
ski holidays
Salomon ^^ ** woops
latest report
Quote:

depends if that's a good or a bad thing!

Not a bad thing at all, was wondering if you were a member of the plastic old guard (like me, but maybe not as poo-poo)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy