Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venturing off piste - minimum level of kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
limegreen1, ouch that video made me jump !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fxf, I'm with you. People have died on piste, off the side of the piste, in between pistes, walking back from the boozer after a bit of apres, skiing with a guide, hell, even guides themselves. It's important to keep a sense of perspective. I think there is a little bit of hypocrisy flying around too. Well done to the likes of Weathercam, for fessing up about the realities of life.

To the OP if you are really getting into OP and finding it is for you then I would be looking to buy a transceiver, shovel and probe. Do some basic practice with it, start to carry it as a matter of routine. At the same time read up, go to an avalanche awareness course, maybe go out with a guide once or twice. But in the meantime keep doing what your're doing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow, glad in a way that my post has created some good debate, AND some invaluable advice....

Update : the area had 1.2 m snowfall in the last 36-48 hours, and so off piste is a complete no no for mere mortals anyway, nevermind the poor vis.

We haven't been off at all, and will only consider it f we can find a guide/lessons, but actually probably no this holiday as the snow is so deep, I think they have 4m up top now Shocked

Personally speaking and after seeing so much good advice I am going to try and get some 'theoretical' training in the off season, and then try to find a course early next season.

PS we are quite happy skiing on the 'hero' powder on piste, its really awesome, and thats probably what we'll stick to here in Gressoney.

Never seen so much snow in 20 years....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
neilkav, in your situation I would be getting a guide later in the week. For definite. Obviously there is nothing doing right now but the below says manageable conditions hazard-wise are in the post providing that you have enlisted the help of a professional. And by manageable I mean probably really very good indeed.

http://appweb.regione.vda.it/dbweb/bollnivometeo/bollnivometeo.nsf/vista_e/$first?OpenDocument&L=_e
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Conditions sound awesome and I'm there in 10 days ..... give it a go with a guide and let us know .....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PBJ wrote:
Conditions sound awesome and I'm there in 10 days ..... give it a go with a guide and let us know .....

Trouble is very easy to say "go with a guide" etc which is akin to saying "lets get Russia and Ukraine to be best friends"

As most people, will not, fork out nigh on €350 for a day with a guide !

I came very close to taking pictures of a very big off piste area between the pistes today to highlight how off piste is available with out the necessity to invest in all the gear, but I thought, as it was so tracked out, most on here would think it was a piste rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
PBJ wrote:

As most people, will not, fork out nigh on €350 for a day with a guide !

If you're a complete off piste novice better to eat soup for a month and spend the saving on being educated!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, most guides/instructors will take a group of up to 6 off-piste. So €350 becomes €58 a head or about £48. Similar to the cost of a day's lift pass at a big resort....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam ... Wow !! you were lucky .. you can buy and do all the courses, you can buy and read all the books and put it all together, but experience underpins everything. You cant / nor would you want to, buy experience like that, but I bet it added so much to you as a guide.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/-eF6o_26z0E

Youre not the only one !

poignant words ,..."he just wasnt with it"

Your brain is one bit of equipment you mustnt forget. Switching on mentally wherever you are on the mountain is paramount. Its not just limited to professionals or off piste/ backcountry skiers either ...

"warm up runs" as above, complacency or pushing your limit,... and that can be blue run to red run, or flat piste to bumps .... focus and awareness
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree Stevomcd ..... its a question of priorities ..... spend a bit less on beer perhaps.
E350 for monterosa guide between 5 or 6 people is £50 a head .... when the week overall is costing £1,000.
Some of my guided days are the most memorable ski days ever - great value.

Or go on the Spring Off Piste Bash - which is a fantastic week, great experience and great value too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd, obviously a group is the way to go, but there has to be a number of you to make that an option.

Most on here are not in that situation to suddenly hook up with four to five others in order to ski off piste etc rolling eyes

If you're of a reasonable standard and are on your own then as some of here have done UCPA is a good option as well as Skiers Lodge in La Grave.

And as PBJ, says the SOPB is good value
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy