Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trois Vallees, or wherever, Late March 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new to Snowheads - what a great forum!

I will likely come across from Oz to France late March for 2 weeks skiing. And will likely be solo. Have skiid Chamonix, Vaujany/Alpe d'Huez, Val d'Isere, La Plagne & Les Arcs, so thought I'd probably try Trois Vallees. Surely has to be on the list? Anyway, my plan, if can be called a plan, is to score a late deal on a catered chalet, as being alone is crap & boring, whereas chalets have an instant crowd, & because you Brits do them so well.

Here is my quetion : is it possible to link up via Snowheads with other skiers/boarders in order to not ski alone all the time? eg, if chalet were full of snow-shoers, learners, or ice-sculptors, for example. I don't mean link up to plan a trip, which seems all too hard if one person (me) is on other side of planet. I mean to ski /board etc. I've been skiing for decades in various places, & am a good all-mountain skier, though a little warier of off-piste this season than usual.

I also thought of joining Ski Club of UK for the ski with the mountain reps thing, which may have been recently outlawed for all I know, after the French court cases re who's allowed to 'guide'. But I did notice the program for Courchevel at that time looks pretty tame, no offence intended...

Anyway, I'll drop this pebble in & await any ripples with interest. Fun & safe skiing everyone
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads Smile

If you don't get any bites on here group lessons might be an idea for guaranteeing someone to ski with a few days. ESF level4/grand ski is guaranteed to be fairly exciting. NewGen also do some very well regarded high level groups - they run just 2 or 3 afternoons, but I'm thinking you might well meet someone who was in the same sort of situation (or non-skiing partner, bad skiing partner Wink etc)

I might be in courchevel around that time with my husband but no guarantees yet - but if so we will probably be in those newgen lessons snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks a.i. Am looking into lessons, though at my level mainly these involve off-piste, which I'm a bit wary of this season, based on what friends who are guides in Chamonix have told me (& of course on news which tends to support what they said).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also just found "SnowBuddy where are we going" thread, which may be relevant. Haven't had time to really look at it yet
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We will be pottering around French alps from 19th March to 4th April. Starting in la Plagne where Mr mogulski is one of the judges for the World Cup Mogul finals, then we have a few days booked in les Arcs then Tignes and to Meribel on 29th March where we will stay with our sons who instruct with New Gen. Happy to meet up with you at any time during this period. We will be driving and like to do high mileage on reds and blacks with some bumps thrown in of course!! Just PM me to meet up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks mogul, sounds good. I will need to find out how to PM first!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PM is a private message so we can meet up without having every other Snowhead joining in!!! At top right corner of this page is a box which has 'send/read messages', follow the link, click on new message, enter the name of whoever you wish to contact (me in this case) and then its just like sending an email. Hope to meet up with you. I'm off to Voss Norway next week but without Mr mogulski. I'm judging the competition there but he has things to do back home....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta. I'll PM you soon when get chance. Currently at work, v busy. Seems like we may overlap time wise in Vanoise are
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went out for a couple of days last year with ski club of GB bods with the leader who was based in Meribel that week. I dodged the dull sounding days, and soon found myself with like minded individuals bouncing through fresh powder in the trees and joined in their off piste day. Met some nice folks too. Unfortunately as I was staying over the hill in St Martin I wasn't able to join the apres drinks every evening in a local bar. I thought it worked well though. It's not banned as the scgb leaders are classed as volunteers.
If you book a chalet holiday, maybe in a chalet for 14-20, I would put money on your meeting some fun people to ski with. In the 3V that will probably include someone who knows the area, which is a big plus given how far you can ski on any day if you plan your route and know the timings to get from a to b.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks so much Perty, Mogul, aj, & Doc (who PM'd). I appreciate you taking the trouble. Perty, I couldn't agree more. I started skiing as a child when my family joined a club lodge at Perisher Valley, Australia. I've always loved the sociable atmosphere of meals, conversation & tall tales around shared table & fire, with friends old & new. It's been a big part of my snow enjoyment. In North American resorts my wife, children & I missed this shared experience. So it was great to discover the catered chalet scene when I first skiid in France 16 yrs ago. Have been back a few times since (with a hiatus for few yrs when Japan was the Northern winter choice), & always gone for catered chalet. Although in Verbier last yr we met in the chalet one of the best groups I've ever skiid with, on occasion the mix hasn't proven so convivial.

I've gone OS skiing alone a couple of times before (& many times on short kamikaze freshies trips in Oz), I reckon it pays to do some advance planning - unless you choose to keep your own company (as some folk do). I knew about Ski Club GB, but was really happy to come across Snowheads as well.

I note the current warmer snowless spell (not in Pyrenees) & hope this doesn't keep up! Have had very sunny weeks several times on French ski trips (La Plagne, Les Arcs, Alpe d'Huez, Val d'Isere) - if I wanted bloody sun & heat I'd stay here!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy