Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment thefts on the mountain

Poster: A snowHead
a.j., +1
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not a joke that necessarily translates if Zikomo isn't a native English speaker so no harm on the callout if that's the case. Personally I was missing the pun but assuming it was a satire on montagnards' crime profiling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j., Happy birthday? Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a.j., Happy birthday

+1 Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I lost my poles on the PSB nice new ones given to me by Movement, but funnily enough they turned up when a Snowhead came to test some skis Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin made me smile Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, Laughing thieving feckrs them snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
limegreen1 wrote:
it has something to do with the french closing the borders and not allowing the mass immigration from the eastern block, where they empty the prisons and get rid of the criminals. The EK checks seem to have failed and one has got through. The police have put out a bulletin in search for the fugitive and a brief description ... One polski ... thief

I get the (rather bad taste) joke. And the assumption I mention racism because I might not understand (and am not a native english speaker) is itself offensive and incorrect. Frankly this is very thinly veiled racism, and linkage of immigration from the eastern block to criminal activity. The use of the word "mass" is no accident, it is in fact very telling. Claiming that because there is a joke somewhere in there makes it acceptable simply will not wash.

Please explain "it has something to do with the french closing the borders and not allowing the mass immigration from the eastern block, where they empty the prisons and get rid of the criminals."

The whole post is racist and offensive. Clear reference and inference is made that people from the eastern block are criminals and all our problems are a result of mass migration from there. Best thing for limegreen and other apologists would be to recognise that fact and retract it with a clear statement that like the rest of us they do not condone racism.

For the record I am a Scot and more than happy to take my share of jock jokes. This is not at all the same thing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

it has something to do with the french closing the borders

he mentioned that so he could set up his joke for there only being "one-pole", because it wouldnt have worked with "30,000 poles"

Quote:

For the record, I don't understand how or why being able to trace a sheep shagger joke is related to this in any way

by trace, did you mean take? If so, I was making a point that Sheep Shagger jokes about the Welsh are prejudicial. Mother in Law jokes are prejudicial, jokes that start "an Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman walked it..." are prejudicial. Shall we ban jokes?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

For the record I am a Scot and more than happy to take my share of jock jokes. This is not at all the same thing.

why not?

Jokes about the Irish being thick and the Scots being tight are prejudicial.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

it has something to do with the french closing the borders

he mentioned that so he could set up his joke for there only being "one-pole", because it wouldnt have worked with "30,000 poles"

Quote:

For the record, I don't understand how or why being able to trace a sheep shagger joke is related to this in any way

by trace, did you mean take? If so, I was making a point that Sheep Shagger jokes about the Welsh are prejudicial. Mother in Law jokes are prejudicial, jokes that start "an Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman walked it..." are prejudicial. Shall we ban jokes?

Shimmy - I edited the post as had a few errors.

I don't agree that the "set-up" of the joke element excuses the statement, sorry. In fact I think there are several words chosen that are not at all necessary to any joke, but do make a point about immigration and criminality.

And I thought it better to point out my own acceptance that lots of jokes have a prejudicial element which I can tolerate. I just can't and won't tolerate this kind of racism excused by its "joke" element.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zikomo, did he not just mention immigration so that people knew what kind of "pole" he was talking about - had he not then as the spelling is the same for both "Poles" I think the joke would have been missed by many. Criminality is mentioned as the pole was stolen.

Ive worked with many Poles and have only ever found them to be very polite, hard-working and conscientious - so I dont have the problem with the joke as I dont generally associate Poles with nicking stuff.

And I dont tolerate racism. My OH and I once walked out on a couple mid-dinner as they said "we're not racist but we dont think blacks and whites should marry" Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

a.j., Happy birthday

+1 Laughing

Thanks guys Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zikomo wrote:

I get the (rather bad taste) joke. And the assumption I mention racism because I might not understand (and am not a native english speaker) is itself offensive and incorrect. Frankly this is very thinly veiled racism, and linkage of immigration from the eastern block to criminal activity. The use of the word "mass" is no accident, it is in fact very telling. Claiming that because there is a joke somewhere in there makes it acceptable simply will not wash.

C'mon it's laboured but the whole point of the set up is to deliver the punchline - or do we pretend that the UK tabloids haven't been all over stories of East European immigrant crime or potential for crime, that the Le Pens never existed or that any reference to such stereotyping must be deplored?

Sorry for apologising for you wasn't trying to be offensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zikomo, I took it as an ironic joke against those with a Daily Mail mentality AND a word play joke. I do think your making way too much of this.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
you seem to be confusing any reference to immigration as racism.

ZIKOMO "Clear reference and inference is made that people from the eastern block are criminals and all our problems are a result of mass migration from there"

No reference is made to the eastern block people as a whole. The criminality element referred to are the criminals from the eastern block in prisons ... which happen to be in eastern block.
The policy of deporting such burdens to their society under the freedom of movement act is well documented.

With reference to your initial response

ZIKOMO "Most selfish, rude, aggressive and drunk (often all 4) I have come across in resorts are natives of our fair isles (I could say what part, but whats the point we both know it will be where you are from)"

I could respond to that with your quote ( including amendment )

"Clear reference and inference is made that people from the fair isles are selfish,rude,aggressive and drunk and all our problems are a result of them holidaying from there"

pot, kettle

the personal sleight at the end is just cheap.

You claim to be offended by Shimmy " assuming" you are not a native speaker.
I am offended by your assumption that I am a native of the fair isles.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so Be Nice please! what."
Stephen Fry

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 17-02-14 16:40; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Can we now get back to all things ski related and I wont make any more jokes !! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

You claim to be offended by Shimmy " assuming" you are not a native speaker

not me - that was fatbob, just for clarification.
snow conditions
I hope youre not offended snowHead
ski holidays
I have deleted ny original response as it is simply not worth it.

I am sure you are right in all regards, especially that there is no place in a free and democratic society to challenge offensive and prejudiced language.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 17-02-14 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
Can we now get back to all things ski related and I wont make any more jokes !! snowHead

Agree this should be about skiing. No need for racism. Carry on.
snow conditions
zikomo, there wasn't any racism.
snow report
zikomo wrote:

I am sure you are right in all regards, especially that there is no place in a free and democratic society to challenge offensive and prejudiced language.

It's fair to challenge it but if you are challenging a joke you need to make sure that you acknowledge you get the joke first.

Anyway what's the difference between an Englishman, a Welshman, a Northern Irishman and a Scotsman?

Nothing. (for now).
snow report
fatbob, very good.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
zikomo wrote:

It's fair to challenge it but if you are challenging a joke you need to make sure that you acknowledge you get the joke first.

Anyway what's the difference between an Englishman, a Welshman, a Northern Irishman and a Scotsman?

Nothing. (for now).

LOL, and let's all hope it stays that way! I will certainly be voting against independence, not least as it ruins the joke that we tired of stealing the english sheep so stole the country instead!
snow conditions
Quote:

Agree this should be about skiing. No need for racism. Carry on.

Um, are people from Poland a different race? Xenaphobic really rather than racist if you want to pick at something.

Anyway, I didn't think it was offensive - the set up was for the play on words joke. Chillax Very Happy
snow report
zikomo wrote:

Nothing wrong with challenging things, but admitting your wrong in the face of sound argument is a skill many fail to learn. I'm quite good at it (see SH passim)
latest report
thecramps wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Nothing wrong with challenging things, but admitting your wrong in the face of sound argument is a skill many fail to learn. I'm quite good at it (see SH passim)

Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying I need to admit I am wrong or limegreen does? Or is this just a general observation? Seems to me I have made sound arguments. I disagree with limegreen completely, but minus a couple of more recent points, he seems to have made some sound arguments also. And we agreed to move on an talk about skiing. So what is your point?
snow report
that you are completely wrong
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
that you are completely wrong

Oh I see. What a sound argument you make. I see the errors of my ways now. Thanks for that.
snow conditions
I hereby admit I am wrong in all regards, that I have no basis to my arguments, and I need to better learn the skill of admitting this in the face of others sound arguments. My sincere apologies to you all. Especially to thecramps for having the temerity to have a different opinion and for believing racism (whether intended or not) should be challenged.
latest report
zikomo, there now. That feels better doesn't it. Madeye-Smiley

Next.....................
snow conditions
Yawn.
ski holidays
Interesting post - seems this is not a new subject for limegreen1. Found this by accident while looking for advice on taking my ABS pack with me on Easyjet!

limegreen1
snowHead
i am eastern european , but born from asian parents and live in the uk thanks to your generous social system. the government actually pay for me and my three illegitimate children to travel abroad as they believe it will enhance our well being and believe that although we can ill afford such a grand tour of the alps finer regions to ski in, we shouldnt be exempt from experiencing what the hard workers graft to pay for just because we are scamming it. I have told them that my lesbian partner needs to come along as i need help with snowboarding as it is hard to do with just one leg. they have also paid for five abs bags and we are allowed to take our gas cannisters on board with us.... if they didnt let us i would complain and shout discrimination.
latest report
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Laughing
ski holidays
HoneyBunny, Laughing
snow conditions
HoneyBunny, Laughing

And, sorry, but I'm going to continue the derailment. I didn't think the joke was offensive - it was a (sorry limegreen) slightly clumsy attempt at a play on words and I've made a similarly clumsy joke on here about snowHead boarders slagging off Poles or something like that to snowdrop (who is Polish).

BUT… That Stephen Fry quote gets thrown about all the time… and yet, on a visit to Austria, he says:

Quote:
I was in a furious mood for most of the day because I was having a conversation with a man from around these parts who said "the jews, they're very smart, very well connected, always well connected with very rich people…. they know things… it's very curious… why did they stay?" It's one of those things where people say, you know, "it's very curious" as if they're just observing something and it carries no meaning and so of course I got rather hot under the collar… and there is this strange thing about anti-semitism and yet there are certain sorts of phrases... and I hate being someone who sees it everywhere and I never have been before, someone who says "oh that's anti-semitism or this is anti-semitism" but you hear these "oh, they're connected"…

Why didn't he say so Little Angel what when faced with these "certain sorts of phrases" rather than "getting hot under the collar" and then having a "whine" about it later? I think it was because he was offended - understandably - by what he perceived to be an undertone of anti-semitism.
ski holidays
Mountains and molehills spring to mind, eesh!

Anyway, back to the subject, I'm quite happy to say it's never happened to me as yet but what are the precautions one can take aside from looking out for your gear? Someone mentioned a lock? I'm going to be looking online to see what's out there, sounds like it'll be useful to have for my skis!
snow report
I use one of these personally - very small so easily stored in your pocket and while not enough to deter a determined thief, it should be enough to convince them there's easier targets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001PK0E14/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Another potentially interesting thread derailed... Thanks for that rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy