Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment thefts on the mountain

Poster: A snowHead
Please all keep a look out for you gear. my 16 year old boy had one ski pole nicked whilst at the Follie in Tignes. The poles were strapped over the skis so this was a deliberate and not a case of mistaken identity. Bit hard skiing back to Tignes with one pole and cost me £30 with the hire company. I can remember when this was never an issue and you could just relax knowing your gear was not going to go missing Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a corker last week.

Having a drink at the bar at the bottom of the hill, notice my skis had vanished. Luckily I was with an instructor so he goes and has a word with the gondola guys. They get the bloke at the top station and send him and the skis back down.

Apparently he couldn't find his so took a set that looked like them. His rational was that I would go to the hire shop, get another set and his would be returned to the shop at some point.

Moron.

Hope your lad gets it back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£ 30 for a bog std rental pole that cost them 10 Euro tops. There's been some robbery here and the majority isn't by the person who took the pole.

There's sod all you can do about keeping poles secure. I generally lock my skis but running a cable through holes in the baskets is a step beyond OCD imv

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 16-02-14 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You wouldn't think you'd get one pole stolen, would you? £30 is daylight robbery. It is worth taking the ski hire insurance.

My poles are worth about fourpence - and if they were nicked I'd have little problem skiing without them, as I don't do anything very useful with them, most of the time. I often go out without them when trying to take some film of the grandchildren.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Folie is in Val D'Isere!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, we've lost two and broken a few, never been charged so far....I don't mind doing a day without if someone loses one.

I am intrigued about a single pole theft though......did you wait it out and see if there was one other lonely pole at the end of the day? When someone took a set from our group we waited a while and sure enough there was another pair left on the ground nearby once everyone else had left (not remotely similar). We did wait around a while longer to see if the 'thief' (just an idiot in this case for sure, ours were nasty hire poles, these were quite nice privately owned ones) resurfaced, but in the end we left them and went back to the hire shop for new ones. If the ones left had been hire poles though I would have taken them tbh - as far as i can tell the shops all sort it out at the end of the week/season, but I figured EVENTUALLY the culprit was going to work it out and come back for his poles (hire shop told us at the end of the week the missing poles did indeed surface in the central arc1800 store that evening so I'm guessing he figured it out!)

AsterixTG Shocked you do wonder what goes through people's minds sometimes...was he smart enough to have checked they fit or had his plan not got that far d'you think?

aj xx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a.j., He said that his were like mine and but a little more yellow. He 'thinks' his were Salomon and that was good enough. I asked what length and model they were but he didn't have a scooby. An obvious biffa.

So he picked up my XT 800 Enduros.

He then got annoyed and asked me what to do about his skis. By this time I was losing my patience. I asked him to apologies, which he hadn't done so as yet, and to go to the rental shop and speak with them as I couldn't give a monkeys about his skis.

The instructor burst out laughing and the bloke stomped off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be fair with this venue in the afternoon 90% of the clients wouldn't know the difference between skis and a board!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Who would steal ski poles, let alone ONE ski pole?

I have often lost or damaged a pole and the hire shop just gave me another, NEVER charged
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess someone broke one/lost one/dropped one off the chair?

AsterixTG, what a muppet
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had my poles stolen before in Wengen. Luckily I was with an expert skiier so he loaned me his to get back to the rental shop.
They just gave me a replacement pair ....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Luckily I was with an expert skiier so he loaned me his

why do you need to be an "expert skier" to ski without poles? All the snowbladers everybody likes to laugh at seem to manage it without a problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd rather do without poles than have to do rob@rar's 'double-pole-tap' drill again.
That one seriously messed with my mind.
I am not an expert skier, BTW.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 16-02-14 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very odd. One of my companions had a single pole stolen when we stopped for lunch in a cafe just up the road from the Palafour lift in Tignes a couple of weeks ago. Just a cheap hire pole. The culprit had also swapped everyone else poles and a couple of skis around on the stand. Perhaps there is someone with a strange ski pole fetish on the loose in the Espace Killy?

The hire shop just replaced the pole for no charge. As someone else has said, they're only about a tenner each.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The culprit had also swapped everyone else poles and a couple of skis around on the stand.

Shocked how peculiar.
snow report
I didn't say you need to be ... I just said I was with him.
And I would prefer to ski with them.
snow report
pam w wrote:
You wouldn't think you'd get one pole stolen, would you? £30 is daylight robbery. It is worth taking the ski hire insurance.

My poles are worth about fourpence - and if they were nicked I'd have little problem skiing without them, as I don't do anything very useful with them, most of the time. I often go out without them when trying to take some film of the grandchildren.

Don't they know that if you go to the mid station office they have a room full of poles dropped off chair lifts. That's how I replaced the one I broke. They were delighted to have reduced their inventory by one!
ski holidays
HossDoc, Laughing
latest report
AsterixTG wrote:

He then got annoyed and asked me what to do about his skis.

Shocked Laughing Laughing

I'm sort of impressed despite myself by the sheer self centeredness on show there! Good job you caught him though, skis are rather expensive to replace....
snow report
Kilometers of electric fences, on alpine pastures in summer, are supported by ski poles, picked up over the years I suppose.

This thread reminds me a bit of the old joke "How do stop an Italian talking?"

The answer being "Tie his arms down".
ski holidays
Total pain, but makes me glad when I first learnt it was done without poles!
latest report
it has something to do with the french closing the borders and not allowing the mass immigration from the eastern block, where they empty the prisons and get rid of the criminals. The EK checks seem to have failed and one has got through. The police have put out a bulletin in search for the fugitive and a brief description ... One polski ... thief
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
it has something to do with the french closing the borders and not allowing the mass immigration from the eastern block, where they empty the prisons and get rid of the criminals. The EK checks seem to have failed and one has got through. The police have put out a bulletin in search for the fugitive and a brief description ... One polski ... thief

Just plain racist. Why assume people from eastern block are the problem? Most selfish, rude, aggressive and drunk (often all 4) I have come across in resorts are natives of our fair isles (I could say what part, but whats the point we both know it will be where you are from)
snow conditions
limegreen1 wrote:

Just plain racist. Why assume people from eastern block are the problem? Most selfish, rude, aggressive and drunk (often all 4) I have come across in resorts are natives of our fair isles (I could say what part, but whats the point we both know it will be where you are from)
latest report
zikomo ..... no one is suggesting the eastern block people are the problem .. rolling eyes
snow report
[quote="zikomo"]
limegreen1 wrote:

zikomo wrote:
..... no one is suggesting the eastern block people are the problem ..

Not the way your original post reads. Puzzled
snow report
ok ... here goes ..... the thread mentions someone "stealing one ski pole" ..... ie, there is a "one ski pole thief" or for the purpose of ... "one pol(ski) thief" ..... Puzzled
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
limegreen1 wrote:

It was an obvious joke in the form of a play on words.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I caught someone walking off with my skis at Les Gets before Christmas. Was sat down by the lifts and someoe just walked up, picked my skis up and walked off. After much yelling and running after him he said he took them by mistake - could be true, they are only cheapish skis, so not sure why someone would steal them! Just seemed odd though because there were no other skis anywhere near me, so not sure how the mistake could happen.
ski holidays
Am I the only one hoping zikomo is the one taking the pizzle here? Jeeeez.
snow conditions
Seems subtle humour is wasted here this evening. I got it straight away limegreen1.
ski holidays
limegreen1 wrote:
ok ... here goes ..... the thread mentions someone "stealing one ski pole" ..... ie, there is a "one ski pole thief" or for the purpose of ... "one pol(ski) thief" ..... Puzzled

I really doubt anyone needed it explaining. It is still offensive.
snow conditions
I had my poles stolen from Chez Denis in Chatel, recently. They were black Scott poles, in reasonably good condition. I spoke to Denis and said I'd call back a week later, next time I was there (I usually ski weekends, early in the season). I called back a week later and sure enough, someone had left a pair of same size crappy old hire poles, red colour, which I reluctantly took in exchange. There's no way it could have been an accident. Someone just couldn't be bothered to find theirs.

It just shows, some people really don't give a toss. I don't take too much care of my gear in the resort and I don't mind too much about the poles; it could have been my skis.

However, for real ski idiocy, you have to watch this. I don't know if it's not staged, but it's funny anyway.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1438995499669270&set=vb.100006765005339&type=2&theater
latest report
snoozeboy wrote:
I had my poles stolen from Chez Denis in Plaine Dranse, Pds, recently. They were black Scott poles, in reasonably good condition. I spoke to Denis and said I'd call back a week later, next time I was there (I usually ski weekends, early in the season). I called back a week later and sure enough, someone had left a pair of same size crappy old hire poles, red colour, which I reluctantly took in exchange. There's no way it could have been an accident. Someone just couldn't be bothered to find theirs.

It just shows, some people really don't give a toss. I don't take too much care of my gear in the resort and I don't mind too much about the poles; it could have been my skis.

However, for real ski idiocy, you have to watch this. I don't know if it's not staged, but it's funny anyway.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1438995499669270&set=vb.100006765005339&type=2&theater
snow report
Probably someone has broken/lost his - I can't see any other reasonable explanation. I had mine picked once and I would have given them away if asked - never cost much new and were really battered after 8 years that I had them for. I can ski on piste without poles all the same though.
snow conditions
snoozeboy, "ja glaubst du denn du bist der Cuche oder was?"
Laughing Laughing
latest report
My wife had her skis stolen in La Bresse on our second day.
Off to the hire shop for skis. Ski that day.
Wake up next morning, stretch and yawn at the same time. Horrendous pain in neck.
Off to hospital in Gerardmer. Pulled the muscles down the left side of her neck.
End of holidy.
Went from a pain in the neck to a pain in the back bottom in one fowl swoop! Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

One polski ... thief

Laughing

its a joke!!! Im Welsh and I can laugh at sheep shagger jokes etc because they are JOKES!
snow report
snoozeboy, Ive seen that before and it is funny Laughing but what an idiot for doing that with other people so close, never mind the bus.
ski holidays
Yeah but to add insult to injury it's a TERRIBLE joke! Toofy Grin and a great example of why you need to be careful written down, it does read oddly/offensively although I am convinced there was no intention to do so and I did identify it as a attempt at a joke on first pass....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy