Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Poles! What a Groepper!

Poster: A snowHead
Should have been banned, or at least stripped of the medal, too many reasons to mention, a poorly wrist is not good enough!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wondered what he was up to but what do the rules say?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slopestyle - if the rules are there are no equipment rules then fair play. Would have marked it down for style myself.

Strictly I think they should me made to use adult size poles too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
His last grab on the the third kicker of his first run is not possible with poles!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slippery slope to being a snowlerblade contest too - presumably there are rules against that
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CH2O wrote:
His last grab on the the third kicker of his first run is not possible with poles!

I never thought about it that way at all, I don't know the rules but thought it was down to personal choice but with the above in mind then it is an unfair advantage. Food for thought.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why do they have poles? are they just for scratching each others ski's at the top?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Commentators were discussing, and said they have to finish with 3 out of for pieces of equipment they start with, ie they can lose one ski or one pole but they get a dq if they lose more than that, not sure how that rule is applied if they don't start with 4 pieces. May be a bit sour grapes bit it does seem a little unfair if he had an exclusion from carrying poles due to injury and does beg the question why they even bother.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You say he should have been banned for too many reasons to mention, try at least one or two!

His triple was insane, and his run so clean, if there's no rules against it, there's no problem. Jossi and Henrik often go nopoles as well, was kind of surprised to see them with them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For slopestyle, poles look like some antiquated piece of equipment that's just carried over from other forms of skiing. If you don't have any use for the poles, why carry them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He was awesome, poles or no poles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apparently poles help your balance in the spins. No poles is harder. No rules to say you need poles. What's the problem?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No problem as far as I'm concerned if the rules don't require them, was a cracking good run!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without poles he looked like someone who just skiied down the wrong course and missed the old school aerials arena. A sport that has more in common with trampolining than skiiing. Slopestyle is supposed to be stylish use of the slope as you find it, hence the rails etc, not gymnastics with snow. I would give more style points to someone who just skiied round the jumps with their poles than someone doing gymnastics without them.

They will be wearing leotards next!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flet©h wrote:
Without poles he looked like someone who just skiied down the wrong course and missed the old school aerials arena. A sport that has more in common with trampolining than skiiing. Slopestyle is supposed to be stylish use of the slope as you find it, hence the rails etc, not gymnastics with snow. I would give more style points to someone who just skiied round the jumps with their poles than someone doing gymnastics without them.

They will be wearing leotards next!

i'm gona take a stab in the dark here.....but you were one of the poeple that complained about the snowboarding commentary to the BBC arent you! Laughing
ski holidays
eddiethebus, No - The complete opposite. That is what slopestyle is all about, not overly profesional gynastics on snow with staid comentary and overt perfersionalism. Slopestyle is the competition equivalent of standing at the top of a run, or a snow park, or the local picnic area and going "look what I can do".

Skiing without poles isn't that. It's like wearing a skin suit when doing ski cross, not what it's about.
snow report
Flet©h, slopestyle is freestyle, FREE, if someone wants to to do it their way, they should be allowed to, and not penalised. I thought Goeppers run might have been gold medal worthy, but it's also a subjectively judged sport, and I can see how it ended up 3rd as well. Good skiing is good skiing, regardless of poles.
snow report
CH2O, Try doing half the tricks he does without poles! See how you fare out! IMHO it makes it harder so he has every right to do it! Spoke to one of the judges last night and it was simple if it was not clean you were going to be punished hard!!
latest report
If it's in the rules he can run without poles, then he can run without poles, if the others wanted to I would assume that they could have also, it would only, in my opinion be unfair, if he was able to run without poles because of his injury and those who did not have an injury had to run with poles.

I do think that with poles is more pleasing to the eye though.
latest report
Quote:

I do think that with poles is more pleasing to the eye though.

Agreed
ski holidays
I just hope that as the event evolves, the freeform flow and the joy doesn't get sucked out of it. Aerials is awesome to watch, but where is the joy? It seems a bit po-faced after slopestyle.
snow conditions
Quote:

if someone wants to to do it their way, they should be allowed to

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Because of this

Quote:
Aerials is awesome to watch, but where is the joy? It seems a bit po-faced after slopestyle.
snow report
Flet©h, Confused
ski holidays
What is the Confused for?

Having to explain seems a bit long winded but the crux of it is...

Being tactical and choosing not to use poles so that you can do more spins or more complex grabs is taking slopestyle and turning it into aerials. As you say aerials is a bit po-faced and serious and actually has more in common with diving or tramoplining than skiing. So although the rules of slopestyle say you can go without poles it's not in really what the event is about.

Ironically having petty aribitary rules is not what the event is about either.

Hence why it falls upon the competitors and the judges to uphold the spirt and feel of the event. Hence my comment "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
latest report
Flet©h, Ta, thought that was what you meant, but wanted to make sure.

+1
snow report
Similar situation to downhill MTB where everyone started wearing skinsuits for the time advantage, so they changed the rules to prohibit skinsuits because it looks rubbish.
snow conditions
Its obviously subjective (and i'm biased!) but i've always thought that skiers spinning round loads of times looks a bit rubbish!
ski holidays
I'd be very hapoy just doing 360's and Back Flips snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AJQ wrote:
I'd be very happy just doing 360's and Back Flips snowHead
snow report
CH2O, - sour grapes and utter tosh, Dick Dastardly in wacky races did'nt get to were he was without thinking outside the box Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowbandit, he always lost didn't he?
latest report
Quote:
Similar situation to downhill MTB where everyone started wearing skinsuits for the time advantage, so they changed the rules to prohibit skinsuits because it looks rubbish.

Exactly.

Watching the aerials now and I'd doubt any of them could ski your average black run.
latest report
Flet©h wrote:
Quote:

Exactly.

Watching the aerials now and I'd doubt any of them could ski your average black run.

It's not going to turn into aerials because a few guys started riding without poles. What would make it it like aerials would be making needless rules about what you can and can't do.

Phil Casabon is widely acknowledged as one of the most stylish skiers out there, does this look like aerials?
http://youtube.com/v/rpgESrmQ2h4

Anyway, it's not even that much easier without poles, sometimes harder, have you tried it?
ski holidays
Anyone know if there are rules on ski length, width or side cut?
snow conditions
Pretty certain those rules are only for racing, for slope and pipe it's free choice.
latest report
Snowheads! Lol. I can't tell if serious but this site is simply ridiculous.
Anyway I think that this guy can ski black runs
Dylan Ferguson 2012-2013 Season Edit from dylan Ferguson
http://vimeo.com/75362286
snow report
Elston, wow that guy and his video production team are the absolute king when it comes to...

Product placement, surprised it didn't cut to him getting a tat of one of his sponsors....
snow report
Elston, and i think the comment re black runs was vaguely directed at the freestyle girls and not slopestyle, though possibly with a little tongue and cheek, but that for them to confirm.
snow conditions
ansta1, The comment was specifically directed at the Aerials competitors.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy