Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A snowball in Hell

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, mine didn't have tiny, sharp, almost painless needles. They were normal hypodermics and, at the time, were the most painful thing.

snowball, I got £500 on my insurance. Private sessions were £35 each and at first I went 3 times a week then dropped to twice and now once a week. The money has long since been spent but I'm happy to keep funding the sessions till I'm'right'
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

at the time, were the most painful thing.

I'm surprised. Mine were small, but even quite normal hypodermics are "just a little prick", as they say, any pain over in moments if you do it right. I did it in a fold of the stomach - maybe I had a bigger fold than you? wink

The discomfort involved was minor and fleeting - whereas turning over in bed took several quite painful minutes and having my crutch slip on the tiled floor in the kitchen, which happened a few times despite my extreme care, was even worse as I jarred onto my left leg.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's odd about the different regimes for DVT prophylaxis then, when the hubby had his elective knee op last year which involved fracturing the tibia and then 4-6 weeks on crutches, he had to jab himself daily for about a month. He got brassed off with them, it wasn't the needle but the stuff stung he said.

snowball, all the best, you sound very positive Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

He got brassed off with them, it wasn't the needle but the stuff stung he said.

but better than risking a DVT! People make such a fuss about injections; my poor OH had to have 4 a day for year upon year and never complained. And he was a lad who used to hide under the bed if he thought the doc was going to give him a penicillin jab for tonsillitis. I am a blood donor and occasionally it's a bit sore, and occasionally I am left with a bruise, but compared to stubbing a toe, or having a bee sting, or one of those burns on your forearm from being careless with the oven glove, it's a fleabite.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, absolutely right but 4 weeks of them when some people get none, I was querying the difference in regimes from place to place.

Yes it's no fun being a diabetic I'm sure Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, Must have been some ditch, read trench, to do that to you! Hope you've been given some serious pain killers to deal with the "discomfort".

I cant say I know how you feel as my worst skiing injuries only involve a dislocated thumb and a partially dislocated shoulder with torn muscle neither of which look anywhere near as bad as your leg. Get well soon, there's powder out there with your name on it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I know they may sound silly to you, but believe me if you have a 'thing' about needles, then you have a 'thing' about needles. My dentist has told me that it is nothing I have conscious control over.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't have a "thing" about needles, just stating the fact that it was painful - maybe because I had to inject the thigh rather than stomach, and yes the liquid going in did sting too..but it wasn't a big deal and nothing to make a fuss over.

anyway, thread derailment....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:

Private physio on the insurance? Never occurred to me. Hmm.

Do it!!! Quickest way to recovery is regular physio. Mine not only got me over the op but also helped me with training to get fit for skiing again. If the insurance won't pay keep pestering the NHS one!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wasn't aware of any threat of DVT after my nail.

What they were seriously worried about e was 'Compartment Syndrome'. Apparently that is bad news if you have it.

BTW, there is a how to here for budding surgeons.

'be careful not to over tighten screws' Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tiffin wrote:
Quote:

the helicopter returned with a long wire hanging under it which was attached to my package

Shocked

must have have made your eyes water. Get well soon.

I was part of the group and it was an impressive evac. I can also confirm he bore it stoically Cool Unfortunately I have no pix of the evac as it was the ONE DAY I didn't take my camera.........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, How come? when you are lying in hospital for 5 days you rapidly become an expert on everything, thanks to the internet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, Yes, as if you wanted to. Not quite sure where you're coming from...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, well, only that I spent 5 days scouring the internet for information while I had nothing else to do so was very aware of DVT threat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, I don't think DVT is really a serious threat with tib nails.

I only know what I was told by (UK) surgeons and consultants. Compartment syndrome is **fkn serious** l Any surgeons looking?
snow report
allanm, sorry, I should have quoted the specific point I was answering. I agree, Compartment syndrome is seriously scary. My point was the awareness of the threat of DVT through immobility, not specifically pointed at all to having a nail. I was pretty immobile when I had my injury so DVT was a genuine concern just on the sofa, never mind flying home.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Yes, Absolutely!! I wasn't immobilised in any way with the nail. No plaster, just get on with life. First week or two were a little problematic, but all said and done, not too bad at all. Quite honestly, for a serious spiral fracture to tib and shattered fib, it actually wasn't that bad. The only real scare was the compartment syndrome.
ski holidays
allanm, I had no plaster (thankfully) but a full leg brace that allowed no movement before transitioning to a hinged brace after a few weeks, I think surgical interventions with metalwork are fab!...but my knee is still somewhat problematic Sad
latest report
^^ That was a bug!
So... where's the the pic of *your* Xray then! let's have a look!
latest report
Uh.. OK no need for that, Soz.
snow report
somwhere in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2273161&highlight=snowhead#2273161
somewhere around page 7...
snow report
allanm, no worries mate
snow report
holidayloverxx , Yes I did follow your thread, although prob missed bits, .....as you do.

Result was fantastic - jealous as F!
snow conditions
allanm, 4th and 5th trip of the season coming up.

snowball sorry for late night thread derailment....
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I'm hoping to get out for a last bash with a few mates in March for a week. A bit of a come down after spending half the season over there in previous years. Truly sad, but nothing I can do.
ski holidays
allanm, I really hope you get out in March and have a whale of a time. As you say, nothing you can do..as such ...but you can use your determination to make the best of a truly bad job. Best wishes xx
ski holidays
Am sitting with ice packed round swollen knee and didn't know what "compartment syndrome" was. I do now!
snow conditions
snowball, Get well soon!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I've only just seen this; really bad luck. Hope the break heals well.
latest report
Bad luck, snowball. Scotland will have some nice spring snow waiting for a mended you in a few months time.
ski holidays
I'm very touched at all these get well soon messages. Thanks all Very Happy Very Happy

moffatross, I doubt it: It will just have fully healed by then and I'll be building up muscles etc. Not sure at what point you have the big operation to get the pin out if you do (? rungsp )
I had hoped I might be able to ski in Chile in the summer but people have been letting me know that that is a bit optimistic. Well, we'll see.

holidayloverxx, I'm a wee bit old-fashioned in that I have never bought an iphone or similar, so I was not scouring the internet from hospital. I don't tweet either and hardly use my facebook account, so you see I am an absolute dinosaur. On top of that only one patient near the end (of the changing other 3 in my ward) could speak a little bit of English. He was a Russian pilot and was one of 3 Russians - they seem to be very good at ski accidents.
I did have several of those old rectangular things though, made from modified wood.

The self-injections were very easy and you could hardly feel it (except afterwards for a couple of minutes, I agree). In the stomach fat is best, I found.

Actually it wasn't a ditch, but a broad ditch was the easiest way to describe the feature I came to grief at (an edge and dip followed immediately by a sharp rise).

The annoying thing is I felt I was skiing really well, and I can't help feeling at 65, will I ski that well again....?
ski holidays
Quote:

will I ski that well again....

Who knows? But I suspect you will. You will loose muscle mass until you are fully mobile, you'll need to do exercises to build that back up but when you do you'll be as strong as before. You'll probably feel nervous first time back on skis (I know I did), but after a few runs you'll forget you were ever off them. The great thing about skiing (or indeed any activity the requires concentration and some effort, like mountain biking) is that you as soon as you get back in to it you drop other thoughts from your mind and you start to focus. To start with I kept thinking, "am I going too fast", "is this safe", then on run 2 or 3 I was thinking "am I doing this as well as I used to". Then I did a few runs on piste where I was really trying hard to carve, or testing out how hard I could crank a turn or challenging myself to make 10 short swing turns before the next piste marker, all that sort of thing to try and persuade myself I could still do it. To be honest I was actually making myself nervous. Then I dropped in to some fairly chopped up off piste and forgot about all that cr*p instantly and just started enjoying my skiing again Happy

Personally I think I ski slightly more conservatively now than before I had surgery, but thats no bad thing. I don't drop in to steep couloirs much (although in good snow, and if I had a good look at it before hand I am still be happy to ski steeps). I am pretty sure I ski bumps better now - I avoid big hard icy ones and on more amenable bump runs I ski much more in control and actually quite enjoy them these days.

I'd probably try and do some skiing closer to home first time out, if something did go wrong Chile is a long way away. I'm not thinking so much of a medical emergency, more of the money you'd have spent getting there only to find it was too soon, or you can't get your boots on with those screws still in. I know European glacier skiing isn't all that great and tends to be just for the mornings, but if you combine a trip with some walking or cycling to help the rehab it could be good to just ski for a couple of hours a day to start with?
snow report
Quote:

I can't help feeling at 65, will I ski that well again....?

absolutely no reason why not, snowball, if you do all the physio and rehab and all - I fractured my pelvis last season, at 65, and have no concerns about it now, at all; bones heal well, given half a chance. I don't always ski well, by any means, but it's nowt to do with the injury so - no excuses!
snow report
snowball, 65!!!! No, you are never 65!!!! Shocked I won't believe it, in fact I wouldn't have said you were much older than me!! Anyhow, as to will you ski that well again, I don't know, but I suspect positive mental attitude is important. I imagine that telling yourself you will ski well again will be a huge help. Thinking of you down here we have enjoyed the opportunity of skiing with you and were sorry to hear about your crash, PMA will be vey helpful I think.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
PMA will be vey helpful I think.

Ecstasy? Shocked
latest report
Yes, I was wondering about PMA Not pre-menstrual anything, presumably?
snow report
pam w, on reflection, I think its Positive Mental Attitude.. as she said it earlier in the post.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, ah yes, of course. Not an abbreviation with which I am familiar! I have an ambivalent relationship with PMA. I'm all for it, of course (aren't we all) provided people don't ascribe every failure or disappointment to lack of it..... wink Some obstacles simply cannot be overcome with any amount of PMA.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, correct!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy