Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A snowball in Hell

Poster: A snowHead
Oh you lucky, lucky people (well, most of you)!

Well I have to admit the title is a wee bit exaggerated but ....

I just got back from 2 days skiing from Innsbruck followed by 8 days in St Anton (to be followed later by 8 days in Gressoney and later still 8 days skiing from Ste Foy and probably a couple of days in Scotland near the end of the season).

Oh no I got that wrong, I had 2/3 of a day in St Anton (to be followed later by Zero).

Yes, I broke my leg. My first broken bones.

I was skiing off piste at the Schindlerspitz with my friends in a flat light and accelerating on flatter ground on approaching the piste, and completely failed to see a sort of wide ditch ahead. I had no warning - I took off from one side and hit the far one twisting slightly, and only one ski came off. I snapped my Tibia at the boot top and Fibula higher up. I knew almost at once it was broken.
An emergency guy was called and confirmed what I thought and called for a helicopter which finally came, dropping 2 medics who prepared me for the flight, moving me onto a stretcher and stabilising the leg (I was shaking strongly with shock). They cocooned me thoroughly and the helicopter returned with a long wire hanging under it which was attached to my package and the harnesses of the 2 medics. We took off with the medics each side of me ( all I could see was the top third of the medics and the cable and helicopter above me since I couldn't move). We landed on a flat area just above St Anton where I was transferred inside the helicopter and the cocoon loosened a bit so I could look around. I was then flown to Landek about 30k away. I think it was 3.30 or so when we arrived. They had a huge list of broken skiers to operate on so they weren't sure if they could do me that night, but luckily at about 10.30pm they were able to take me into theatre and operate.

Afterwards I found they had drilled into the tibia at the knee and down its full length, and then pushed in a long steel rod, fixed at top and bottom with screws through the bone. It makes for very minimal cuts. 5 and a half days in hospital.

I must confess I am a bit proud of the X-ray print outs (though they are a bit crumpled). They gave me a CD of the X-rays but neither my iMac nor Mrs snowball's laptop can open it properly.

Today I had my staples out.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 24-01-14 14:50; edited 6 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, Ouch, hope it all heals well and you get back on skis soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome metalwork and a free heliride. What's not to like? Moral of the story? Stay away from pistes.

Heel up strong. The missed skiing is kinda irrelevant.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
6 weeks in total till I can put my full weight on it (there is no plaster) and about 4 months or so to full healing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, So sorry to hear that Sad

I hope it's not too long before you are back to your beloved off piste (Heaven wink )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nasty, get well soon. Hopefully it won't be too complicated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There ain't much snow about so you certainly picked the right season to break your leg. Toofy Grin

This thread might help .....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=107358
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, so sorry to hear. Hope the rehab is swift and 100% successful. Good luck!
Beautiful x-rays!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool, X-Rays snowball, you know chicks dig scars and all that. I'm not sure flashing your x-rays is quite the same though? Unlucky time to do it though, but like others have said above probably the right season to do it. Heal up well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, ouch. Re the CD's and getting the x-Ray pics, when I broke my ankle in St Anton (happened before I even got chance to go up the slopes) the CD the doctor gave me had the reader on necessary to view the pictures. Hope it heals well and good luck with the recovery.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, snowball.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones do heal well and fairly quickly. Good luck with the recuperation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, airport security will never be the same again. Double ouch.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, ouchy, get well soon snowball Very Happy
latest report
snowball, ouch and more ouch. Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery. Neat metalwork though.
We should have an x-rays thread. Hubby has some interesting ones of his neck.
latest report
ouch again - sounds like a very unpleasant episode. But the worst is now over and the bones should soon be as strong as ever. snowHead
ski holidays
ouch again - sounds like a very unpleasant episode. But the worst is now over and the bones should soon be as strong as ever. snowHead You'll enjoy your skiing even more next year.....
ski holidays
Impressive x-rays. Best wishes and heal soon...
snow report
Never nice to see!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, snowball
snow conditions
snowball, more ouch from me! sorry to hear about it...but cool pics. rehab, reahab, rehab will get you skiing next season. I skied 5 months after coming off crutches after my break but I really underestimated the amount of muscle loss and the time it will take to get back.
latest report
Nice metalwork!

Get well soon Smile
ski holidays
snowball, Eeeek. Looks nicely mended tho. Hope you've not had to have any génépi for the pain Sad
snow conditions
Ouch snowball,sorry to hear this, swift recovery. Love the xrays.
snow conditions
snowball, Ouch ouch ouch. Hope you have speedy and good recovery
latest report
snowball, sorry to read this. Good that you got such expert help, though.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for all the sympathy and goodwill. Smile

Possibly the worst moment (though not that bad) was getting my very tight boot off (I struggle normally)!
Afterwards the woman holding my foot was grimacing with disgust at the wobbly feeling of it with no proper bone connection in the leg Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

the woman holding my foot was grimacing with disgust at the wobbly feeling of it with no proper bone connection in the leg

Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, sorry to read about your broken leg Sad but take it from me they do eventually mend Very Happy Cool about the helicopter ride too Toofy Grin Get well soon x
latest report
snowball, very sorry to read this and best wishes for a speedy recovery Smile
snow report
snowball, Bad craic, wishing you a speedy recovery.
ski holidays
snowball, I had just heard the day before in emails from the group members...really sorry this happened to you. You'll be back next year, and listen to fatbob, no more skiing near pistes!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the woman holding my foot was grimacing with disgust at the wobbly feeling of it with no proper bone connection in the leg

Shocked

Shocked Yuck! Good luck with the rehab snowball and make sure you get yourself a good physio.
latest report
snowball, Shocked Hope the recovery goes well but as everyone says, if you're going to do it, this is the season to do it.

In the second x-ray, what are those little rings at the top of the metal rod?
snow conditions
Get well soon.

I'd guess the "rings" are staples, you can see some more to the left of the screws.
snow report
Hi Snowball, Ouch! Very sobering first thread to read in the morning. I hope that it heals well and you are back skiing as soon as possible. Best wishes
Sad
ski holidays
snowball,

Was it the same hole I hit in 2011 @ St Anton?

if so - surprised that they haven't repaired it by now. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

the helicopter returned with a long wire hanging under it which was attached to my package

Shocked

must have have made your eyes water. Get well soon.
ski holidays
tiffin, Laughing Laughing

snowball, ouch! Poor you! Hope that you recover speedily and completely and that you don't get too bored in the meantime.
latest report
tiffin, Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy