Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emily Sarsfield Olympic bid-please sign petition.

Poster: A snowHead
Here is a link of Emily talking on TALKSPORT today, its a pretty good synopsis of the situation!

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1390989600#

Once on the above page click on 11.30-12.00 on the right, then she starts at 18.30 mins in.

Due to the strict qualification process by FIS, no other athletes qualify and there are 2 unfilled spots in the Olympics now... IF BOA changed their mind FIS would still accept Emily, as they want 32 girls to race... basically 2 heats will have 3 girls in... Crazy!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vicsars, thanks.

So so so gutting that still she can't go. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Madness !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vicsars, I listened to live as Emily tweeted she would be on. Came across very well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
signed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vicsars, More like the BOA being too stubborn and proud and full of their self importance to admit they made a mistake!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about a campaign where every time a member of Team GB finishes lower than 30 th in an event, people Twitterbomb BOA and Team GB with #EMILYWOULDBEBETTER ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well fatbob I'm waiting to be kicked off the Team GB facebook page as every time I see a post from them about skiing I'm replying with a link to the Emily petition!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just an idea, don't know if its feasible, but here goes

IF the boa continue being ridiculous, could emily still attend the games as an independent athlete?

of course there will still be costs involved but possibly quite a bit lower??

just a late night thought, but it would be great to show the boa where to stick their policies!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The team lists had to be entered by 27th January according to the FIS newsletter so it seems that everything is now fixed and can't be changed. Any places not taken up will just mean a smaller number entered in that event.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomow92,
Quote:

IF the boa continue being ridiculous, could emily still attend the games as an independent athlete?

Everything I have ever read on the subject suggests that you cannot enter as an independent just because your country fails to select you. You need a civil war, an ineligible NOA, a new state, or similar.

The trouble is the BOA have not yet given us a full explanation for their decision. I understand their policy is NOT to accept hand-backs, but I don't understand why the policy exists. What is the logic behind it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mogulski wrote:
The team lists had to be entered by 27th January according to the FIS newsletter so it seems that everything is now fixed and can't be changed. Any places not taken up will just mean a smaller number entered in that event.

In my brief conversations with Emily on the subject, she says that they have up to the 11th of Feb to accept the handback places, I don't know if this means the offer remains until the 11th or that the handback places are open to whichever nation wants to accept them until then and when they're gone, they're gone.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course, by not sending Emily, the BOA absolutely guarantees that GB has no chance of a medal in ski-cross - you've got to be in it in the first place to win it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just e-mailed the BOA, it will be interesting to see what response will be forthcoming - I'm expecting either silence or a polite foxtrot oscar...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HandyHand,

I emailed BSS and BOA a while ago and got nothing back.................LinkedIn messages to the board might be a good idea
snow conditions
+1
...I mean it's not exactly like the BOA has the same selection headaches as their Austrian counterparts, is it?
ski holidays
They are carefully avoiding questions on their social media feeds as well. Guess they know their position is indefensible but are too proud/stubborn to admit they got it wrong and change their minds.
latest report
More like enganging in public debate with angry fans would be a follish thing to do. The have stated their position and are publicly sticking to it. The last thing they need is to start and internet flame war with every disgruntled supporter.
ski holidays
Flet©h, +1

davkt, I honestly think that it less about 'carefully avoiding questions' and more to do with the fact that they have better things to do than responding to endless questions on Twatter. As Flet©h, said, they have made a statement and see no need to expand upon it.
latest report
Emily is currently filming a piece at the snow centre for itn news. On just after 6pm apparently.
snow report
foxtrotzulu, Well they are finding time to post loads of other stuff and agree with some of the folks saying how wonderful they are!
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
tomow92,
Quote:

Everything I have ever read on the subject suggests that you cannot enter as an independent just because your country fails to select you. You need a civil war, an ineligible NOA, a new state, or similar.

The trouble is the BOA have not yet given us a full explanation for their decision. I understand their policy is NOT to accept hand-backs, but I don't understand why the policy exists. What is the logic behind it?

AIUI, the logic is that they accepted some handback places last time (three I think), and none of the athletes concerned finished in the top 2/3 of the field.

Which they found embarrassing so do not want to see it happen again.

Personally, I think they are very wrong. We should always enter as many athletes as we can under the rules, regardless of what position they may expect to finish.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:

AIUI, the logic is that they accepted some handback places last time (three I think), and none of the athletes concerned finished in the top 2/3 of the field.

Which they found embarrassing so do not want to see it happen again.

So the message to Britain's up and coming skiers is, don't bother attempting competition unless you think you're going to win. That's going to encourage a lot of takeup and participation.
ski holidays
feef, I thought that supporting likely winners was the principle of backing British Olympic athletes - whether for the wintr or summer games. It does seem to have paid off big time so far as the summer games are concerned. In the light if that I think a similar policy for the winter games seems reasonable.
ski holidays
Signed.
snow report
Nice piece in the Times today. The Chilean girl invited to take the place that Emily should have has said that it is a disgrace that the BOA won't send her. The FIS have even asked if Emily is entitled to represent another country due to family ties.
snow report
achilles,
Quote:

I thought that supporting likely winners was the principle of backing British Olympic athletes - whether for the wintr or summer games. It does seem to have paid off big time so far as the summer games are concerned. In the light if that I think a similar policy for the winter games seems reasonable.

I agree, but I thought the policy you mention applies more to the funding than it does to entries. I'm not sure we've ever found out how much it actually costs to send an athlete to the games. It would be interesting to know.

As a broader comment, I can't help feeling that there is now too much focus on winning medals. Of course there is going to be a lot of focus, but it shouldn't be to the detriment of everything else. I have also been disappointed by a few athletes who not only regard the Olympics as a purely personal sport rather than as an opportunity to represent their country and also a few who have 'pulled up' when they realised they weren't going to win a medal. Note, none of the comments above apply to ES in the slightest.

Mind you, that's nothing with the sheer loathing I feel when commentators start trying to use 'medal' or 'podium' as verbs!
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, I think that's true. Also, the athletes have A and B standards and if there is no athlete getting the A standard one who meets the B standard (often the IOC standard) will go. If the same applied here, ES would be going - so the BOA are being inconsistent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beequin,
Quote:

so the BOA are being inconsistent.

Sorry, inconsistent with what/who?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, inconsistent between summer and winter athletes I suspect
snow conditions
D G Orf, Exactly.
snow conditions
Hi,

Quote:
Very quick message to say thanks for all your efforts yesterday. You rallied and brought an extra 800 signatures in a matter of hours.

This showed it's possible to get to 10,000 with a concerted effort in the next, crucial, 24-48 hours, but we must keep the momentum up. Facebook, and especially Twitter, are great tools but the effect of a share or a tweet only lasts for an hour or two. Keep hammering the message home.

As I said yesterday, your help so far is truly appreciated by Emily and her family. Let's finish the job.

Thanks,

Ollie
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/british-olympic-organisation-accept-emily-sarsfield-s-invitation-from-fis-to-participate-in-the-ski-cross-event-at-the-2014-winter-olympics-in-sochi?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_message_notice
ski holidays
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/british-olympic-organisation-accept-emily-sarsfield-s-invitation-from-fis-to-participate-in-the-ski-cross-event-at-the-2014-winter-olympics-in-sochi?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_message_notice
ski holidays
I think its a really poor attitude - nice to see a British athlete competing, and, as long as they meet the selection criteria, I don't think it should matter that they might not come in the top 2/3 of the field. It surely can't cost too much to send an athlete? Its not like they are being asked to support their training.
ski holidays
kat.ryb, Yep Emily hasn't had a penny from the governing bodies and still they spout cr*p about getting value for their investment!
latest report
It struck me this afternoon when one Nepalese (I think) person was asked where he expected to come and he said " last, but I hope it encourages others in my country to compete in the Olympics " , that our own comittee has become too obsessed with medals to the expense of taking part, we get contradictory words from ministers who tell kids its all about the taking part and the Olympic Comittee who say it's all about the chances of winning a medal Sad
snow report
D G Orf, great point
ski holidays
Any news? Was there a response to the petition or is it definitely all over?
ski holidays
Last I heard from the guy who put the petition up was it was going to the BOA today or tomorrow (me not remembering exactly not him being vague) as that was the last chance to get a decision (and in the highly unlikely event the BOA corrects its blunder) and Emily to get Sochi in time for the races.
ski holidays
I was told that today was the deadline they could submit a late entry if there was still an opening. Unlikely but fingers are crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy