Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone lock their skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
alex_heney wrote:

No lock will stop a determined thief. It will only ever prevent the opportunist taking them, or them being picked up by mistake.

2 good reasons to lock them up I would say. I use a fairly flimsy wire combination lock (easy to carry and only a few seconds to use), but I figure that as the vast majority of skis are totally unlocked, why would a determined thief bother to nick my locked skis? So far I've never had a pair stolen, fingers crossed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually lock mine but I managed to break the lock a couple of weeks ago. All I did was tug it lightly to see the combination and it broke where the cable enters the lock. Also, make sure you have a light of some kind as it may well be dark when you come out of the bar. Not that I've ever struggled with a combination in the dark following a few beers. Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A handy pair of wire cutters can be useful.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cacciatore wrote:
A handy pair of wire cutters can be useful.... Toofy Grin

Had some in my bag but didn't need to use them as I managed to break the lock when tugging on it to get better view of the combination. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a dakine combination lock. It's good!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
AB Ski wrote:

If my skis were stolen when I'd left them unattended and unlocked I'd anticipate the insurance company might be awkward.

Not necessarily. The wording in my Direct Travel policy from last year, under what they will not pay for is theft when:
Quote:

Winter sports equipment you have left unattended in a public place unless the claim relates to skis, poles or
snowboards and you have taken all reasonable care to protect them by leaving them in a ski rack between
8am and 6pm

Most of the policies I have had in the last few years have been fairly similar. They don't expect you to lock them outside mountain restaurants.

When my skis were stolen and I tried to claim the excess back they wounding pay as they werent locked. They said I hadn't taken "reasonable care". There was nothing specific in the policy about this. Luckily I took insurance with the rental shop which covered the most of the cost but the excess was 150 euro.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use one of these where possible:

http://www.skikey.com/

Some resorts have special ski/board racks that you slot your equipment in and then use the Skikey to fix a locking bar across the slot. They are only the size of a matchbox and so not much to carry around.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef wrote:
a.j. wrote:
But why would anyone WANT my crappy rental skis?

Because they've arrived in resort and want to save the cost of the rental fee for a few days. Rentals are so commonplace noone would take a second look at them. Pinch them, ski them, dump them. Far less likely to get caught than if they pinched a set of brand new, unusual skis.

Yes but they have already had to get up the mountain and down to where my skis are (As noted by several folks already I don't leave them in the village or gondola stops as I agree that is a little more likely.) I'd be surprised if anyone would risk it for an upgrade to red skis from blue Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy