Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone lock their skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think I've ever seen a locked pair outside a bar or restaurant? Is it dependent on resort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw a place in Les Deux Alpes today where they would lend you a thingy to lock up your skis or boards - you had to leave your lift pass as a "deposit".

The answer to the question is "No", I never have. Touch wood.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, always. There's a few threads about this
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, you lock your skis? I swear Ive never noticed any.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, yes sometimes as we have had skis stolen from outside the ski school office in Vaujany, At village level we do, at mountain restaurants tend not to bother. Our son is currently working in St Anton, he locks his as après can get messy and he's seen some idiots just launch skis and boards down the mountain for fun, or pinch boards to sledge home on!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feefee, I don't do beyond dusk Laughing just as we have young kids so either eat in the hotel or eat in self catering
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, yes, I have a cable combination lock.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott, my daughter had hers stolen from a locked boot room in LDA in fact they cleared the whole room!!
A threads just been bumped about stolen skis in St Anton!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 19-01-14 22:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just swop and spend a few secs making sure they are no where near each other and keep an eye. Can't be bothered carrying locks on top of everything else !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alex A, I have a pocket at the bottom of my ski pants that hold the lock, no issue with carrying it at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, no I haven't noticed locks either. If on the mountain, in a place that has easy access to a road then we will swop skis between the four of us. If at village level, wouldn't leave any skis unattended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, have never seen pockets there, good idea. Maybe I have one and have never noticed Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I lock mine. Had a pair of test skis nicked in Tignes. I bought some ski locks but they aren't very ggod, now use a cable and padlock that I just carry in my pocket.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmotte16 They are Spyder Ruby pants - I'm on my second pair largely because of this pocket. It's ideal because there is no risk of hurting yourself on the lock if you fall - it is against the ski boot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, ah, good idea. I wonder if any other brands do them. Will look out for them next time I purchase.
latest report
I have always locked mine and the missus ever since we owned our own

its to easy to grab the wrong skis, and chances are they will fit if you are of average feet size

its never going to prevent the determined thief, but stops all those wrong ski's arguments.

and if they were locked and then taken the its theft outright.

always used the basic pull out cable locks - and this year we upgraded to some new ones ( off ebay)

that are alarmed as well , so they go off if pulled or cut ( quite load too )
snow report
I do - combination cable lock that goes in the backpack. Only takes a few seconds to use and I like to lock my poles as well as they have camera mounts on them that I would like to keep.
snow report
I don't feel the need here and didn't in Japan but probably would when I go back to the Alps.
snow conditions
we just do swapsies, mid end rental gear though so nothing special...
ski holidays
Cable lock my board- not going to stop a determines thief but might wee wee them off a bit
ski holidays
Yep, I use a combination lock. It could be broken with the simplest of wire cutters but I figure an opportunist thief would primarily go for skis that aren't locked, so it might be of some benefit. Makes me feel slightly more secure too if I'm in for après with the skis outside.
latest report
Frequently. A. My skis tend to be smarter than your average boards, b. i reckon most holiday makers are less smart than average, so if I can avoid an opprtunistic thief nicking them or some idiot wandering off with them it's worth 30 s effort.
snow report
Lock my board, haven't locked skis yet, but prior to this season skis have always been rental jobbies included with the job so not too fussed if they go. Now have my own skis so will probably lock them if I ever ski to après (tend to board, snowboard boots are easier and way more comfortable to walk in after a few beers).
snow conditions
I carry a lock, but rarely use it.

I will use it if I am at the base area and will be out of sight of my skis for a while, and I have very occasionally used it at the top of a gondola which comes up from the base. Outside restaurants that can only reasonably be reached on skis, I never bother.
ski holidays
I've heard of alarmed wired locks. Anybody have those and are they any good?
latest report
a.j. wrote:
we just do swapsies, mid end rental gear though so nothing special...

we do swapsies as well.......don't forget to swap them back though Embarassed
snow report
Last time I locked my skis I went back bottom over tit. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
we lock ours these days. Cycle cable lock. Friends had theirs nicked from a mountain restaurant in les arcs couple of years back, so sadly we feel we should
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Similar to alex_heney I always have a lock in my pack but don't often use it.
snow conditions
Oddly something that I've been thinking about. As others, I've previously just swapped with someone in my group and sperated them by a reasonable distance, but I've got a couple of bike locks that I might try this year Very Happy
latest report
I have occasionally locked my skis at lift stations and sometimes split them with a friend at a mountain hut, but not often.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a locked pair outside a bar or restaurant? Is it dependent on resort?

We can't ever have skied in the same place then. Mine are always locked unless I'm sitting where I can see them.
And yes I have had (my wifes) skis stolen from outside a restaurant on the swiss side of the PDS.
snow report
Nope , never. Mind you they're always hired skis.
snow report
The lock with the alarm sounds good! Might invest in one of those..

I always lock mine, mostly to stop people taking them by mistake - but also in the hope a thief would move onto an easier pair to nick.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, we religiously lock ours up, all carry locks in our pockets to make sure we have sufficient cables for the big bundles we create. I have posted on a fair few threads about the locks we use and the search screen should easily find them.
snow conditions
Never ever locked home pair of skis, but then I always keep them in eye sight, I usually sit outside when we stop for a drink.
snow report
I came out a restaurant in Tignes after lunch to find someone had locked their skis to mine.

I was about to get the leatherman out, and attack the flimsy cable with the wire cutters when they appeared, most apologetic.
snow conditions
Yep, swap and then lock to different racks usually. Anyone wanting to steal my (rental) skis is going to have to work for it wink Mr S is about a ft taller than be, so swapping isn't generally a problem.

Locks are quite small and when secured to bindings are well below eye level, so maybe you've just not noticed them. I've never bothered with the lock inside the ski storage room though.
snow report
If you read the threads on ski forums, you would have thought everyone lock their skis!

But since then, I made a point of looking for locked vs unlocked skis on racks out in the mountains. I had a hard time spotting the locked ones amoungst the masses of un-locked ones!

I don't bother. With all the unlocked ones, chances of mine getting nicked will be quite small, by thief or by mistake. It would be annoying if it happens though it won't put me in the poorhouse either. So I conclude it's not worth the fuss.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Cable lock my board- not going to stop a determines thief but might wee wee them off a bit

ditto

I got hold of the pretty handy burton cable lock. It could do with a bit more leash, but I can almost always get mine and the wife's board locked together, and onto the rack or something with the one lock. Its really compact too, so don't even notice I have it in my pocket.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy