Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

***Tree-well danger***

Poster: A snowHead
For all the arguing elsewhere here about helmets and tripping over and bashing your head, here yet again is a warning about another very serious danger out there...

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/male-dies-after-tree-well-incident-on-whistler-mountain/Content?oid=2542552

Sad

This was at a fairly well travelled, well inbounds area.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stuarth, Stuart, yes, it's a well known danger in Canada, but thankfully it's not such a big issue in Europe, most of the time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heard that this wasn't even a big tree, just a little one that effectively made a sink-hole. Not sure whether that was the case, but goes to show it's not just the big trees you've got to leave a little room and it's not just out there in the backcountry wilderness (Ratfink is smack in the middle of Whistler mountain, right beside the green zone)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to know more about this www.deepsnowsafety.org is a good resource.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
stuarth, Stuart, yes, it's a well known danger in Canada, but thankfully it's not such a big issue in Europe, most of the time.

Though saying that a guy got helicoptered unconscious off my local hill last season after spending 30 mins in one (marked ungroomed ski route) - and that was pretty early in the season before the snowpack was even that deep!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I once wound up in a tree well and my teenage lad promptly followed me there. We were in no danger, though, as we both entered feet first and were able to help each other out.

It bought home to me the danger of glades (my absolute favourite terrain), though. I was helpless in the well and only extricated myself by climbing on top of my son. Similarly, he would never have escaped if I'd been unable to pull him out. This was a deserted part of the mountain that saw no more than a couple of skiers per hour; if I'd been foolish enough to ski alone, I might not be alive to type this post.

The rules are simple, and, if you love the trees, are much more important than wearing a helmet (which I do):

- Always ski with a buddy.
- Always know where your buddy is, or s/he could die while you're trying to work out which tree has swallowed them. Stick together as if you're connected by velcro.
- Don't ski too close to the trees (durr!) or under dense foliage.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a bit of a nightmare last season at Sunshine. Me and 4 friends start a series of glades off goatseye; I ended up separated and the trees got tighter and tighter and I got more and more paniccy. I ended up taking my skis off and walking out! Luckily it wasn't too far and I could walk on tracked turns, but the trees were way too tight for me to ski. They were in turn all on back the piste and about to get patrol
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was skiing through trees above Vaujanay with a party some years ago. The snow was a sort of heavy powder, not really fluffy, but quite pleasant. As I was going round a tree, the tail of my outside ski dropped right down and then stuck down. The ski did not release. I broke my Achilles' tendon (the incident inspired my snowHeads name). I managed to get myself out of the fall - and, not withstanding the injury, ski down to the rest of my party, who were waiting for me. No one had seen me fall.

Clearly there was some sort of hole beneath the snow surface - though whether there was a tree well, I don't know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig,

suspect you are right about the buddy system. would have thought transceivers should be worn where tree wells are a significant risk?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never even heard of tree wells until now and I couldn't believe the size of those holes. I'm going to keep clear of those big scary trees from now on.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I fell while skiing in Whistler a few years ago and as I tried to get up, kept sliding towards a tree well. Luckily, I was skiing closely with a group led by an instructor and the instructor walked back to help me. Very scary though! Skullie
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/0jvEYzh_1Sg&hl
MEfree30 posted this about a year ago - worth remembering some resorts in NA have more fatalities from tree wells than avalanches.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear a whistle on your zip so you can potentially use it without your hands. Try really hard not to go down head first in trees if you do fall.

Ratfink is super tame terrain so that more than anything makes it scary.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
latest report
philwig, Yep same for skis, besides the snow is softer nearer the tree so you'll be wanting your riding implement there not your head. Did once get tripped by a stump on an innocuous traverse in Revy and gravity did the rest. Fortunately concertina'd myself as I went in so I was head up. Managed with a bit of effort to release my skis and a further 20 minutes of bracing against the trunk and Macguyvering ski leverage to pull myself out like a very beached whale.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy