Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK, you can get down it, but is it skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My OH and I once tried walking down - in summer - a black piste which we could ski in winter without any great drama. It's not a super steep black by a long way but it was extremely difficult to walk down, even in decent walking boots and would have been even worse without walking poles. We headed for the pine woods beside the piste, so we could use the tree roots, but even so, the whole thing was a mistake. I saw a chap walking back UP the side of a red piste this morning - he'd obviously decided after the first, quite steep, pitch that it wasn't for him. His body language was eloquent. It's a piste you can see from the chairlift, which is accessible from an unproblematical blue. Why do people do it? Especially in a resort bursting with easier pistes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, There is actually a tall story behind my escapade on the red in Orelle - [threat mode]maybe over drinks one day[/threat mode]
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, J and I walked a similar route in Serre Chevalier in summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:
But abc, you're original statement was cut up snow NOT foot depth wet cement. It's not that hard to drift skis sideways through cut up snow unless its become very consolidated / refrozen but that's not what you said.

That was what I said, but it was in the context of side slipping on piste vs off piste.

Perhaps I was not speific enough on the example condition I picked. My point being, there're many other type of snow condition where side slipping simply wouldn't have been possible. Heavy, consolidated cut-up snow being just one of such.

fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:
abc, i challenge you to a sideslip-off Twisted Evil

abc a number of us have seen Arno's mastery of the powersideslip, time for you to post up video evidence of yours wink

Ah, but my point was, there're snow condition that it can not be side slipped!

So, I don't have to do it myself. I only need to find the snow condition that he can't! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Breakable crust. Done.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are we talking bread?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Breakable crust can be sidestepped.

To my shame I've sideslipped plenty of heavy dense snow- usually positioning for action. Unless you mean actual legbreaker levels of water content in which case you're a fool IMO if you're not trying to exit asap.

Edit: bollox to autocorrect

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 17-01-14 14:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
I saw a chap walking back UP the side of a red piste this morning - he'd obviously decided after the first, quite steep, pitch that it wasn't for him. His body language was eloquent. It's a piste you can see from the chairlift, which is accessible from an unproblematical blue. Why do people do it? Especially in a resort bursting with easier pistes.

Excellent skiing in my opinion- much better to take the walk of shame uphill than risk injuring yourself or others out of your depth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

much better to take the walk of shame uphill

absolutely - and he was very near the top, but it would have been quite a tough walk up, nevertheless and he wasn't slim...... I would have felt more sorry for him if the visibility hadn't been perfect and if he hadn't passed a big sign pointing "EXPERT" in one direction and "COOL" in the other. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
Unless you mean actual legbreaker levels of water content in which case you're a fool IMO if you're not trying to exit asap.

If you live near the Tahoe or Cascade area (which I believe you mayy do/did), and don't ski "leg breaking levels of water content", you won't be skiing much!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nah - I did a winter in Tahoe and the only day that was truly ligament shredding was the day it had "precipitated" to the top of KT22. After one run we got on the chair and agreed next lap we'd do the groomer then call it quits. Sierra Cement gets pretty chunky but it's rarely stop you completely in your tracks bad if you're on the right equipment.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy