Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere swimming pool swimwear etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
Last time I went swimming in Val d'Isere was about a month ago, and it was swim trunks only at that point. Puzzled

I guess some women would probably want to wear more than that .......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry Pompey ref to a bunch of people who thought a child doctor was a child molester! There are some thick people out there!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
Last time I went swimming in Val d'Isere was about a month ago, and it was swim trunks only at that point.

Can't see why everyone has such a problem with it. Puzzled

I think the problem, such as it is, is that the rules don't differentiate between normal shorts and longer swim shorts which are popular in UK and elsewhere but are still dedicated swimwear. IMHO these shorts are no more unhygenic than trunks/budgie smugglers but they just look like normal shorts and are therefore banned.

Most pools I've been to in France of late, mainly on campsites, allow swim shorts and it is very rare to see budgie smugglers. Unfortunately the only people who wear them tend to be the people who really really shouldn't be allowed to Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The public pool in Tignes in October permitted baggy swimshorts - indeed it was the norm for all the French youths there too.

By comparison the public pool in Chamonix last week had signs up showing no baggy swimshorts, but the boys' skin-tight shorts were fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
enfilade wrote:
Would be interested to see the reasoning behind the French desire to see peoples packages.
hygene as skin and "other" irritations are better visible while wearing a normal swiming gear and not stupid american shorts
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb wrote:
I don't see how a pair of dedicated swim shorts are less hygenic than a pair os speados?

If they are dedicated swim shorts, it is marginal - more material = more fibres clogging up filters.

But I think the rule was introduced because of people wearing shorts which were NOT dedicated swim shorts, and then they found it easier to just ban shorts than to try and define which onjs were acceptable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi just come back from the pool in Val d'Isere and you are allowed standard 'english' baggy shorts so no worries everyone.
No one checked and it was very relaxed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can wear shorts - even baggy knee length ones - provided they're made out of elastic, swimming costume type material.

They only have an issue with shorts that are non-stretchy that would be acceptable street wear - even if they are made by Speedo!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowheadette, not the case in Alpe D'Huez though. They make you get your swim wear out of your bag at reception to check it is correct before they let you in. This year I had come prepared after a visit to Sports Direct.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the same in the spa hotel in Levi, Lapland
Bought some specially (the hipster style ones which are acceptable). Now, I often wear them in this country too, actually prefer them for the most part!

Honestly don't see why it's a big deal to rail against it. Bit like the complaints about naked saunas. It's just how they roll, if we as tourists don't like it we do have a choice.
You can flip that argument on its head of course, but anyway...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Does anyone know if this type of women's swimwear is still acceptable in Val d'Isere? (it used to be very acceptable a few years ago in Biarritz! Laughing )

I like to wear one-piece suits
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
been there loads wore oakley board shorts no problem whatsoever never seen a sign advising what to wear
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most of the french pools insist on either speedos or tight-fitting shorts. The logic behind it is that if you let people wearing board shorts in they will have probably worn them to walk to the pool (ie outside and got them dirty) so it's less hygenic. Why the rule then still applies in January in a ski resort I've no idea!

The lagon pool in Tignes (which is very nice) allows board shorts if your hubby isn't keen on speedos.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Budgie smugglers required ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Phyllis Stein wrote:
- definitely in Morzine...
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Phyllis Stein wrote:
- definitely in Morzine...

But not in chatel. Was there in Jan 2015 and we had no issues with 'boardies' though with snow on the ground we hadn't walked there in them.

Great pool by the way, even if the pricing was somewhat deer
ski holidays
I went into the public pool in Alpe d'huez in a pair of speedos swimming shorts. The staff there refused to allow me to swim in them, this was after I had changed into them. I read the regulations, and it said you must wear "maillot de bains". I pointed out that these were speedos, but the interpretation of rules vary depending on the staff.

The next weekend a group of solicitors from Grenoble came up, and I heard they were all going to go swimming in shorts to see if the interpretation of "maillot de bains" were enforced.

To be fair, there were signs as well as official regulations, which had pictures of people in shorts with a cross over them. I did not have any problem in the swimming pool in Val d'Isere with my speedo swimming shorts. However, I was berated by the staff there for going into the balerno without the correct colour band on my arm. (I did have the correct colour band, it was their mistake and I stayed in the balerno as I did not understand her accent).

Laughing
ski holidays
Both my son and I were in board shorts when we were there in March and no one said a thing. Lots of French youngsters were doing the same.
ski holidays
If you turn up without the appropriate speedos/budgie smugglers they quite often have a "RENTAL BIN" to choose from... the only ones that didn't look too smeggy (@Red Dwarf) were about 2 sizes too small for me and my g/f at the time was doubled up laughing!!!
snow conditions
Has anyone tried "Tom Daleys" ? ( barely hummingbird smugglers) !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy