Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is off piste skiing such a testosterone dominated activity?

Poster: A snowHead
Perty wrote:
ALQ, A word to the wise..be careful what you wish for.....
8 years ago I spent the 05/06 season in Les Menuires working a Chalet Bod (AKA Chalet Old Bag). The other 2 working in my chalet were 2 lovely Aussie brothers aged 21 and 26.

We had one member of staff who was set to join us after the first week. We were told that Lydia L***son from Sweden would be that person, and she was also aged about 21. You can imagine the dribbling that went on as the boys called to mind their fantasy tall blonde Swede.
The day of her arrival came. Lydia stepped from the bus.
Short,
dumpy,
dark,
possible hint of a moustache....
Who, within the first 24 hour made her mission to inform the entire resort workforce that she was a lesbian. Cool
Oh how I laughed....

HA HA,
had a very similar experience years ago in La Grave, me and two other guys get picked up at Grenoble train station by none other then Doug Coombes (RIP), chatting on the drive up he says "by the way guys there's a whole group of swedish girls here doing a 3 day mountain craft course", you can imagine how we 3 charged into the bar to check out our fellow guests... and then backed away as quickly as we had entered.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
pam w,for me, it's too slow, too soft. I like to feel the feedback up from the piste to my skis - the subtle changes of movement as the edges interact with the compacted snow - not that gentle floating one gets off piste.

And it just goes to show... that it takes all sorts! (can't believe you needed to ask that Laughing)

Light powder is only one of the many conditions you might find off piste. Too soft? Ski crud, ski breakable crust or heavy old snow, ski spring snow or hard crust.
I don't understand the "slow" bit either - why don't you just ski faster? Ski steeper slopes (45º if you like).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
essex wrote:
me and two other guys get picked up at Grenoble train station by none other then Doug Coombes (RIP), chatting on the drive up he says "by the way guys there's a whole group of swedish girls here doing a 3 day mountain craft course", you can imagine how we 3 charged into the bar to check out our fellow guests... and then backed away as quickly as we had entered.....

Lucky you had Doug to fall back on. What chat up line did he use on the three of you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nipped over to La Grave yesterday based on forecast and emails / texts flying around.

And there were so many females Puzzled

Reason why, it was "La Grave Ladies Day" - free passes for females - and there were so many great skiers and boarders - which almost made it "busy".

Met my mates in the Castillian (as ever) and we had three La Grave virgins with us, one a very very good skier and two guys who had skied off piste but not to this degree.

Our guide was my good friend Per who had done the commission earlier in the morning.

Conditions were superb in the morning with great viz, after lunch we lost three of the group due to tired legs, and conditions deteriorated but enough "couloir" light to do Trifide and Bananne.

http://youtube.com/v/YL5o8lT9dBc&feature=youtu.be

And more pictures here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, apart from mentioning the ladies day at La Grave, your post doesn't appear to belong on this thread. There are no women in your video or pics and you don't mention any women skiing with you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero_G, wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero_G wrote:
Weathercam, apart from mentioning the ladies day at La Grave, your post doesn't appear to belong on this thread. There are no women in your video or pics and you don't mention any women skiing with you.

To be fair he was implying they were congesting the place by not sticking to their place by the sink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
The guys really suck big time though. If I were "bunny" Warren Smith I'd send them home.

1. Billy Backfoot
2. Bowlegged "Bottleout" Brian
3. Larry "Killy" Locklegs
4. Arfur "Flappy Arms" Daley
6. Wayne "big air" McKnockney
7. Lanky "Legs Eleven" Lennox

Yeah, but had they improved? And by how much during the week?

Any video of your good self?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as it seems to be getting a bit sexist ....

what is the part between a womens hips and a womens breasts called ? ..... a waste ( waist )

and for the ladies

what do you call the seemingly useless bit of skin at the end of the winkle ? ........ a man
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PJSki wrote:
davidof wrote:
The guys really suck big time though. If I were "bunny" Warren Smith I'd send them home.

1. Billy Backfoot

You must have missed his ski off against Lindsay "Fat Lass" Vonn?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero_G, I did in deed take some photos, though were not up to my high editorial standards rolling eyes

And had a chat to some of the girls in the lift, as I knew a few of them (all Swedes)

I did find it somewhat ironic with this thread running turning up and it was ladies day, and all the babes, and like I said there were some really really good skiers and boarders, probably some of the best in the Alps, of course not including Chamonix Shocked

Anyway just for you Zero_G, photo below

And had a long chat with the girl who runs the Salomon test centre and the ladies Rockette 115 that I saw pre Xmas and told my OH about - nice ladies fat skis!

Plus she told me not to mention/publicise the free ladies day as they don't want loads turning up Confused

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there at La Grave on Friday 24th and it was a great atmosphere - it was 'queen of the mountain' and like Weathercam says free passes for girls. Quite a few girls around the place. The lifties were all dressed in pink with pink hats and wigs, and squirting some kind of alcohol into your mouth from a plant mister bottle! Music playing at the bottom station and dancing.

Last week on the UCPA course I was one girl and there were 7 men in my group. Didn't see many females in the off piste ski groups either.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
PJSki wrote:
davidof wrote:

1. Billy Backfoot

You must have missed his ski off against Lindsay "Fat Lass" Vonn?

Yes I must have. Did I miss much?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
45 and off pisting for several years, I didn't do a course just progressed to it, ski ing areas where there was a lot of off piste and then following my husband down under gondolas etc , never realised that it was a male dominated thing, have met a few girls on out of the way places. I started on straight skis, ha ha, it was so easy when we got wide shaped skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[/quote]

at least the lady on the left hasnt forgotten her place... she's taken her ironing board up ... snowHead
snow report
K2 freeride & Ski-touring camps just for the fairer sex. Equipment testing is also listed for certain events

Link in german.

http://www.k2womensmovement.com/index.php/camps-2012-13/18-20-10-2013-k2-ski-und-telemark-camp-in-zermatt-ch
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:

It is a reasonable question and was already asked. I'm afraid the answer is no but it is on a to do list. I don't make a habit of skiing scralp if I can avoid it.

As a consolation I will leave you, for now, with a pic of this mountain I climbed and skied this morning before breakfast.

anyway I'm sure this link about Liz Daley is far more interesting than how well I can ski, or not,

http://backcountrymagazine.com/stories/daley-dose-tour-splitboarder-liz-daley/
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/v4FzZ-jQQ44
ski holidays
Warren Smith female instructors are doing a girly camp

http://youtube.com/v/ff7a1iKVbSQ

Quote:
This will be a female only version of the normal academy course product. Coached by women for women.

The winter 5 day group courses run from Sunday to Friday with the Wednesday off. They are designed to build and develop skill and confidence, to enable people to ski all terrains including Moguls, Steeps, Variables, Powder and how to Carve effectively on piste. Skills are developed during the coaching by practicing specific exercises that benefit the main topics. Progressively, the new levels of skill are tested in suitable terrains to build confidence. During the group courses each skier is also looked at from an individual point of view due to the fact that we are all individuals and have different strengths and weaknesses that need identifying and developing.

Please check your ability level using our 1 to 6 Video Levels System before booking the course to make sure you’re at the right standard for the course. Level 1 is basic intermediate. Level 6 is athlete.

We meet together as a group everyday at 10am outside the L’Olympique restaurant which is located at the top of the Funispace lift (Attelas).

We ski until 3pm and take a lunch break at approximately 12.45pm. Please bring a small or medium size backpack to store your bottle of water and energy bars in. It can also carry your belongings i.e. Ski Jacket, Fleece, Gloves etc if the weather is extra cold or warm. Please note that Wednesday is a rest day from the course and a day for you to freeski.

We will be filming and doing video analysis on the Monday and Thursday and watching the footage and analysing it those evenings before dinner between 4:30pm until 8pm. (times may vary depending on group numbers) It usually makes a big difference the next day with what you’re working on so it’s a good idea to bring a notepad and pen to make notes.

The groups are a maximum of 8 persons. This is the standard number of persons on an Academy course unless you are doing the Supergroup option. 8 persons is the perfect number to work through the exercises set, receive good individual feedback and get to move around the mountain to find the ideal terrain.

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/course/6335-2/
ski holidays
Hmmm... looks like this movie addresses some of the same issues women face in the skiing world
UNDEREXPOSED trailer from Amelia Brodka
http://vimeo.com/27874870
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy