Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is off piste skiing such a testosterone dominated activity?

Poster: A snowHead
Come on laydees!
I am 48 (ugh!), female, advanced but by no means brilliant skier. I am just back from a week's off piste course in St Anton. I have to say the male to female ratio on the resort was probably about 5:1. However on the courses run by Pistetopowder last week, it was even higher. My best guess each day was that, of the 3 or 4 groups of 6-7 skiers going out each day-at least 20 skiers, there were never more then 3 women, often just 2. All I can say is that's it a pretty poor show by the girls. Where is your sense of adventure? You don't have to be a gnarly ski dude to learn and have fun! (And yes, I fell over, ache a bit, but skied some amazing places, and had a much better time than anyone sliding about on piste would have ever had in the conditions last week!)
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perty, I am 66 (ugher) and female, by no means brilliant skier, doing an "introduction to off piste" course next week, in Les Deux Alpes (which, I'm happy to see, is forecast a fair bit of snow). However, I think I'm the only female and the oldest person by some distance. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perty, I'm female, 45, solid intermediate skier, not really good enough for off piste and my insurance doesn't cover it. I have dabbled with some soft stuff at the side of the piste with varying degrees of success, but I feel my precious limited skiing holiday time is best spent enjoying myself in my comfort zone on piste. I'm aware of my age and fitness limitations and long past the stage of wanting to 'push' myself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not a lady. I ski off piste because I'm too, scared to ski on piste. In some resorts the m/f ratio is skewed dramatically by lads trips.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's quite hard to get ladies to come away. Everytime I get a lady wanting to come, she's either got to be in a relationship with one of the lads, or I have to find a second lady for her to share with and I wouldn't say we only do lads trips as we're all 48-51.
Why is it only the lads organise skiing trips, I've yet to talk to a group of ladies who've gone out on their own!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty wrote:
I have to say the male to female ratio on the resort was probably about 5:1.

Why do you think that us guys drink so much when on our guys trips. Sad wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski wrote:
Perty wrote:
I have to say the male to female ratio on the resort was probably about 5:1.

Why do you think that us guys drink so much when on our guys trips. Sad wink

Laughing you poor things....
If only I were single.....[sigh wink ]

Good for you pam w! I am sure you'll have a blast! I cannot believe some of the stuff we skied down last week. It's difficult to explain the sense of achievement you get compared with a great day on piste. Plus the sheer pleasure of being away from the crowds and the lifts, it's just so darned beautiful. Remember to drink in the views, the nature, the tranquility ....ahhhhhh!

But seriously (ish!), the lack of female participation at what people perceive is the more adventurous end of the sport leads to the whole thing becoming more even more "macho". The stereotype is probably correct in women may not be quite so up for it but we more adventurous minded must guard against the "pinkification" of skiing for women. It's a sad truth also that, I can think of no other female friend of my generation who would be able to ski with me off piste. Thankfully Mr P and I keep each other company. (May his ACL remain in one piece!) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perty, interestingly on the two off-piste courses I did with the German DAV ( one in St.Anton based at the Ulmer Hütte ), we had about 30% female participation. This was a long time ago so maybe the ladies have become less adventurous in the meantime!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a shame, isn't it? I guess it's partly a confidence and cautiousness thing. queen bodecia's point about insurance is a good one. I am paranoid about doing anything I'm not insured for, and have felt 'guilty' about every bit of green run steepness off piste I've done alone. This year I'm buying carre neige. I still am unsure whether I'm 'good enough' to join a guided group, which is silly of me really. I should just go for it.
I'm trying to avoid stereotyping, but a gang of lads is probably more gung-ho at giving it a go regardless.
And then there's a vicious circle where; women aren't doing something, so other women think women can't do it. Such a shame.
I see the same in my gym - I rarely see other women in the free weights area. I love weightlifting, and it has utterly transformed my skiing. I know that I'm strong and fit enough to take on the mountain. But most women in the gym are doing pure cardio, which doesn't really help at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seems to me to be a much more extreme male/female split offpiste amongst tourists than locals; it's fairly (though not quite) even amongst people I know who live out here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It's difficult to explain the sense of achievement you get compared with a great day on piste. Plus the sheer pleasure of being away from the crowds and the lifts, it's just so darned beautiful. Remember to drink in the views, the nature, the tranquility ....ahhhhhh!

Well I got all that in the new Year week, when I did a week of cross-country skiing. I'm looking forward to trying the off piste course and have 100% confidence in the instructor (who I've skied with before), and am ready to give it a go. But I'm also ready to decide I'm not going to make an off-piste skier - we'll see.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perty, For some female off-piste inspiration, look at this video of the Flying Grannies (which includes snowHead skilegs):

http://youtube.com/v/dXSuWvdnvHg

which was posted on this thread
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink, aah! thanks for that. Just wonderful - I was wondering this afternoon if I could find that clip again. Mega-inspirational. If I get to do just 10 turns like that in Les Deux Alpes next week I shall die a happy woman (though not necessarily next week wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh how I love that vid! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm female and like off-piste snowboarding. snowHead

I think it isn't just a problem with off-piste, but also one with even just normal skiing, or climbing, or mountain biking - really any kind of adverterous activity. My group of friends are all very active and 'adventerous' as they are predominantly friends met while doing an certian sport so I am used to having 50/50 male and female split. People at work are often surprised I am going on an off-piste course, or going MTB after work or whatever as, in their experience, it is unusual for girls to have active hobbies and interests. Which I find quite sad.
latest report
I would say there is a fairly even balance between men and women in the German ski club that I belong to.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, love the vid. Can't say my skills came close last week...but then again, conditions weren't quite as perfect.
However, Japan here I come in 4 weeks!
snow conditions
kat.ryb, Don't be sad. You're living your life, don't be bothered by other people sleepwalking through theirs.

BTW, testosterone courses through my veins like (...er...) water through a mountain stream but I hate off-piste with a passion which just goes to show
latest report
I'm in my 50s, male and ski a lot of off piste, around 1 in 3 of the people I ski with off piste are female, this applies to the off piste courses I've been on too
latest report
Quote:

I hate off-piste with a passion which just goes to show

why do you hate it so much, and what does it go to show?
snow report
I'm no lady...
The thought of more ladies going out of bounds, wahey! Get out there and enjoy it.
Once, my wife and I were dropped in on by a testosterone saturated Yank as we navigated the ridge of a pristine bowl - all he shouted was "CLEAR!!!!". Tut. A discerning female would politely have let us ski ahead and take first tracks, maybe.....
ski holidays
My wife and I ski almost exclusively off piste.

She does occasionally moan it's always a bit full on.

Is that the testosterone effect?
snow report
Perty, St Anton is known for being a bit male dominated. it ruins the apres inmho at times in the season. don't know if you found that? in contrast 2 male friends of mine did a powder course in Ste Foy with mountaintracks (recommended) in 2011 and found that they were the only men. both married and in their 40s but they had fun pretending to be playahs in the hot tub (not). it shows i think that gender divide varies by location and standard of course with the more "serious" resorts attracting the more macho. ski freshtracks do ladies only off piste courses which I looked at for my daughter.

however, I think it is true that basi has more male qualified instructors at most levels. worth a study of some sort.
snow report
pam w,for me, it's too slow, too soft. I like to feel the feedback up from the piste to my skis - the subtle changes of movement as the edges interact with the compacted snow - not that gentle floating one gets off piste.

And it just goes to show... that it takes all sorts! (can't believe you needed to ask that Laughing)
ski holidays
red 27, I've always thought that most of the people who (like me) ski almost exclusively on piste just don't have the skills (as I don't) to ski off piste for more than a few tottery sort of turns before heading back to the predictable piste. If you are a skilled off piste skier but prefer the piste then, fair enough, that goes to show that it takes all sorts......

But if you are a poor off piste skier then it only goes to show that many people prefer to do something they;re good at and don't like heading outside their comfort zone.

I prefer skiing on piste because I am crap at skiing off piste, but I'd like to give it a decent go before giving it up as beyond me.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
...If only I were single....

If only. wink
snow report
pam w, all agreed. I am very intolerant of anything other than perfect off-piste conditions which obviously doesn't help.

Enjoy your course next week, looks like conditions might come right for you, we will expect a full report snowHead
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
I am just back from a week's off piste course in St Anton. I have to say the male to female ratio on the resort was probably about 5:1. However on the courses run by Pistetopowder last week, it was even higher.

Yes but most of the women are paired. Men to single woman ratio is probably around 20 to 1.

For men there's only one strategy to use when in St Anton - "go ugly,early" wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am a 39 yo mother of 2 and I love off piste. I did several avi courses, and carry transceiver, shovel and probe, and a snowpulse airbag. I do see that there are not many gals to find and I already did several trips as being the only one. I am used to share my room with guys as I have to. The first time was weird, not anymore. Good thing is that I found a new relationship and we both are crazy about freeriding. So if we are both free to go we can share a room together...

Go powderchasing and the ratio is worse: on the courses there are some girls. By the way some said the male-female ratio was ski-wide. And it is true. All my male friends go on ski holiday with friends. I tried several times to organise a girls' trip (also regular non freeriding trips. Usually I have to cancel it as all the girls bail. No money, no time whatever...

My female friends think I am crazy as I like skiing, freeriding, mountain biking, off roading with 4x4 etc etc. And yes I also like putting on make up, dressing up nice and having coffees with my friends.
snow conditions
Quote:

we will expect a full report

I think there are several snowheads doing the course - I expect we'll do our best to give a flavour of the experience. wink
snow report
skiester wrote:
And yes I also like putting on make up, dressing up nice and having coffees with my friends.

..and a little 'manger de la rug' perhaps? wink
ski holidays
Mollerski, Laughing
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
skiester wrote:
And yes I also like putting on make up, dressing up nice and having coffees with my friends.

..and a little 'manger de la rug' perhaps? wink

Sorry, I am not following you... eating a carpet???? (As probably obvious, I am not a native English speaker, nor French..) Puzzled
ski holidays
skiester wrote:

Sorry, I am not following you... eating a carpet????

Laughing Laughing I'm sorry, forget it. Confused
latest report
I ought to point out I'm not a girlie girl (erm, woman). I don't shy away from skiing something steep, bumpy, icy or whatever, I might not do it particularly well but hey I'll have a go. I'm also a motorcyclist and I spent many years playing ladies rugby.

If I was 15 years younger, fitter and better insured, I'd definitely want to try the proper off-piste thing, I wouldn't let my gender stand in the way.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Seems to me to be a much more extreme male/female split offpiste amongst tourists than locals; it's fairly (though not quite) even amongst people I know who live out here.

yes also seemed more equal in Scotland where everyone skis everywhere and among people I have seen touring there. I'm 34 and have skied off piste since I started skiing, I've never really understood this massive difference between on and off piste and how people could say they are an expert skier, can ski all blacks with style but can't ski off piste. You find steep slopes and tough snow conditions on and off piste (obviously steeper for some off piste) and I would much prefer to ski ungroomed snow than some steep piste than has had all the snow scraper off and is now an icy wall of death.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I ought to point out I'm not a girlie girl (erm, woman). I don't shy away from skiing something steep, bumpy, icy or whatever, I might not do it particularly well but hey I'll have a go. I'm also a motorcyclist and I spent many years playing ladies rugby.

If I was 15 years younger, fitter and better insured, I'd definitely want to try the proper off-piste thing, I wouldn't let my gender stand in the way.

What is a girlie girl? I do DH mtbing, does that mean I'm not a girlie girl, my DH bike is bright pink though, does that cancel it out Wink
ski holidays
Girls can ski offpiste (look at the 5th skier in this group)

http://youtube.com/v/Qq5PT5OiG6w
snow conditions
DB, in the purple jacket? She smokes the guys in that video.
latest report
The guys really suck big time though. If I were "bunny" Warren Smith I'd send them home.

1. Billy Backfoot
2. Bowlegged "Bottleout" Brian
3. Larry "Killy" Locklegs
4. Arfur "Flappy Arms" Daley
6. Wayne "big air" McKnockney
7. Lanky "Legs Eleven" Lennox
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy