Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is off piste skiing such a testosterone dominated activity?

Poster: A snowHead
Is the real answer because men don't like going to tupperware partys? wink

i.e. Men and women are interested in different things. Women are generally adverse to certain risks but take on others (e.g. Prenancy & childbirth).
Of course there are exceptions, some women are very sporty but they don't tend to stay single for long.

There are sport groups/courses just for women.
e.g.
https://skidav.eventhostr.com/events/28

These can end up being groups of timid women or women who are physically atrracted to other women. Not easy for the sporty hetrosexual women, it's probaly why they end up in sports dominated by men.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:

These can end up being groups of timid women or women who are physically atrracted to other women.

NehNeh

I quite fancy doing some of the DAV stuff but I don't think my German is up to scratch yet.

Maybe I'm unusual but I really enjoy lessons/coaching/camps. I've done a few mtb one which have all been women specific but all the skiing ones I've done have been mixed. I'm a much better skier than biker so maybe subconsciously I do think the female skiers won't push me enough although that's obviously not true as I see lots of women skiing better than me every time I go skiing Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf,
Yes as others have said, people learn in different ways.

Incidentally, I know of a ski group which is mainly made up of females in their 20's and as far as I am aware they are not "batting at home" (not that thers's anything wrong with that). They want to get out to western Austria later in the season but have a weekend trip planned for Nassfeld (which is being dumped on at the moment). I could send you the link via a private message if you wish.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-01-14 12:35; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Whilst we're at it, what percentage of UIAGM guides do you think are women?

I think there are about 80 worldwide. I've never skied with a female guide but have skied with a female aspirant. I don't think I've skied with a better skier.

Re why do women ski off-piste less? I think the root of the difference is that women do less sport overall. If you look at the Sport England participation stats there is a 10 per cent difference in participation rates by sex. And a bigger gap between men and women in the younger age groups. In other words, women just do less sport and this begins early - as in before people exit adolescence. Sporting habits set in adolescence also tend to persist into adulthood - which is why a key part of raising participation rates is stopping people falling off the bus in the first place. I think with off-piste skiing you have to go through a point where you stop treating it as an activity holiday and start treating it as a sport. For the reasons above, I think women are less likely to make the jump.

About half of my regular off-piste ski partners are female. All of them have one other major sport going on in their life. One competes in eventing at a fairly decent level, another is a rower and the last runs seriously - like marathon distance. My hunch is that having one other major sport in your life predicts skiing ability off piste among women who ski - but that is necessarily limited by the smaller proportion of women who pursue sport at that level.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Part of that goes back to sport being seen as unfeminine or at best for lesbians.

Off piste is definitely seen by a lot of people as a sport rather than a nice active holiday which piste skiing is closer too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't it just that homosexuals generally have more free time (normally no children). I've heard Gay ski camps are big money earner's as two well paid adults with less outgoings (for children & house to home them) = more disposable income. Maybe homosexual's get more skiing in than hetrosexuals.

Incidentally Herman Maier has refused to go to Sochi Olympics because of Russia's negative views on homosexuality - good on him.
http://derstandard.at/1388651030413/Hermann-Maier-faehrt-nicht-nach-Sotschi
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
In my case I took no formal instruction at all, because I don't learn the way most people do, and it hadn't been invented then.

Would you mind elaborating on this statement? The ex-ski instructor in me is curious wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, could be that or it could be these much better evidenced reasons:

http://www.wsff.org.uk/resources/how-women-experience-sport-and-fitness/barriers-to-sports-participation-for-wom
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, I'm not entirely sure why you see a link between being 'sporty' and being straight/gay/single? Bit baffled by that, people without children certainly might have more time/money to pursue hobbies, but single people generally have less money than coupled people, and I don't see where gender preference comes into it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia,
Sorry, it wasn't clear what I meant.

It was in specific reply to ....

meh wrote:
Part of that goes back to sport being seen as unfeminine or at best for lesbians.

I was questioning whether it was an image thing (I can't do that because that's what Lesbians do and I'm hetrosexual) or that Lesbians are better catered for (e.g. Ladies week) because they have the time and financial means to attend such a course.

e.g. There appear to be more all-women courses for Mountain Biking than skiing which is usually much less expensive and time consuming than skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, OK that makes a bit more sense but why do lesbians have more time and financial means than non-lesbians? I assume what you really mean is women without children, which is 1 in 6 as opposed to 1 in 100 women who are lesbians.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've probably met 20 UIAGM guides and none of them were women based on that small sample I'd say that a very low proportion of UIAGM guides are female, even lower than the share of good off-piste skiers.

Take people's point that fewer women ski in general but as I said further up the thread, even adjusting for that, there seemed less interest in developing offpiste skills from my fellow saisonnaires who were female...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing with Anny in the Belledonne today.

about the only thing I can say about female off pisters is they are often a bit knock kneed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
DB, OK that makes a bit more sense but why do lesbians have more time and financial means than non-lesbians? I assume what you really mean is women without children, which is 1 in 6 as opposed to 1 in 100 women who are lesbians.

As you said much less likely to have children - time, cost and risk issues (Mother less likely to take risk). Plus couples (irrespective of their sexual preferences) without children tend to have more disposable income.

The same effect is probably even more applicable to homosexual men - much less likely to have children and much more likely to bring in two good wages without have to pay for a large home for the children.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, however singles with or without children have less disposable income, regardless of sexuality. That's been my issue all along. But not enough of an issue to make me look for a partner... wink
latest report
meh wrote:

There's no way, when I see a group of blokes turn up, that I assume they're all homosexual, or that they fear being seen as homosexual. I don't think about shagging them, or them shagging each other. They're just skiers.

Why would I or anyone else including you think about what they take to bed?
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
DB, however singles with or without children have less disposable income, regardless of sexuality. That's been my issue all along. But not enough of an issue to make me look for a partner... wink

... but I'd anticipate singles with children have even less those without and in general single woman have less than single men. Which ever way you look at it, it doesn't make it easy for the single sporty hetrosexual female. Probably part of the reason it's male dominated esp as a gay male couple could well be the most likely to afford such trips/courses.
latest report
davidof wrote:

........ about the only thing I can say about female off pisters is they are often a bit knock kneed.

But the edge angles look well matched, boot canting required or maybe needs adjusting?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
davidof wrote:

........ about the only thing I can say about female off pisters is they are often a bit knock kneed.

But the edge angles look well matched, boot canting required or maybe needs adjusting?

I tell you she makes it look easy but it was like skiing wet cement today.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
last week I was skiing with a BA pilot who lives in La Grave and commutes back and forth!

Richard? It is a long commute when the weather is bad.
ski holidays
Quote:

it doesn't make it easy for the single sporty hetrosexual female

Not surprised by some of the attitudes!
snow report
I think it may be partly down to risk. Women perceive risk and reward differently to men. This is one reason (but not the only one) why companies with women high up do better and companies with at least one women on the board are less likely to go bankcrupt.

I do sofft piste stuff, in bounds in Canada. I can do glades, bowls, chutes etc, I don't really go into back country because I would have to do a load of education, I wouldn't get rescued for a long time and there seems little benefit when I can still get fresh tracks elsewhere. Risk vs reward and hassle.

I am slightly knock-kneed too, apparently its our hips.

I suspect that most of you guys on here have female partners, otherwise I shall assume you are gay as that seems to be the assumption everyone adopts. For those with female partners , get your women out there. Its your wives, daughters, girlfriends and friends we are talking about. Take a stake in their well being, help them graduate to off piste and do something to change your collective attitudes (ie that its a testosterone dominated sport!) to encourage them to do sport.

I think women go on women only courses because quite simply they prefer it; I think its nothing to do with their sexuality.
latest report
philwig, you've missed the difference between me describing a prevailing attitude and me agreeing with it. My precise point was that there is a negative stigma for women participating in sport. You can follow the latter link I posted to find out more.
latest report
gryphea,
We don't have inbounds in the same sense over here but if there's good powder to be had from the lifts then in the same sense I generally go for that first.

I don't assume anyone who is single is gay. It was when doing a quick search for lynseyf that I thought "how do you know wether an all female ski-course is for hetrosexual and not homosexual women and why aren't there more female specific offpiste courses?" (as is the case with Mountainbiking)

There are very few women only ski resources e.g.
http://www.theskidiva.com/

Don't know about other blokes here but I've always been pro my female partner at the time doing sports (esp. for their health). They have generally decided not to do it as intense as I do.
ski holidays
Here's some more awesome female ski inspiration:

Lorraine. The Movie from Hanno Mackowitz
https://vimeo.com/84133861
snow conditions
Lorraine Huber (above) offers women's progression days in Lech

http://www.lech-zuers.at/womens-progression-days

http://lorrainehuber.com/womens-progression-days-by-lorraine-huber/
snow report
lynseyf wrote:

But surely when you get past a pretty basic level of skiing it is harder to make changes to your skiing and so a week of skiing with the same instructor is more likely to be beneficial? I did 2 Inspired to ski courses and really enjoyed them, all the people were really keen skiers so you didn't have the can't be @rsed people you can sometimes get in lessons, the instructors were really good and having the same instructor every day meant they really knew your skiing faults. I've had mixed results with lessons and think it is much harder for an instructor to be able to make a real change to my skiing in a few hours. I don't think I would just randomly book lessons in the future and would rather save my cash for a longer course. Re. the guide vs instructor thing, surely it's 2 different situations, if you aren't interested in improving your skiing and just want to focus on skiing off piste in safety with someone that knows the area then get a guide, if you want someone to criticise your skiing and try to improve it get an instructor.

I don't doubt that they can be enormously beneficial but some of the courses out there seem to inspire cultish devotion for what are things any good instructor should be able to do relatively easily. The difference I suspect is in the clubbiness and a bit of "special sauce" about such courses. If, like me, you get bored easily when you can do stuff and frustrated even easier when you can't and therefore need to consolidate it at your own pace, a week long group course is my idea of hell. I'm also an sociopath which doesn't help.
snow report
This thread is becoming hilarious DB assumes everyone is gay and fatbob is a sociopath Smile

davidof, Not an expert at all but think that women more often ski knock kneed because of the bigger Q angles between hip and femur, google will probably provide a better explanation
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went over to La Grave today with hopefully "Punter" not slapped across my forehead Toofy Grin

And was conscious of this thread, and came close to taking some photos of "babes" (sorry for the sexist phrase), that were around, of which having three Jack Russells running around did sort of attract some attention whilst getting lift passes Blush

I skied deliberately on my own, even though a couple of guys from last week's avalanche course were around, as I wanted to do my own route finding away from the obvious main runs.

As I took the lift back up at various times, there were various groups "visiting" and make up of those was 10% female, and then there were the "locals" of which a fair number were non male Smile

And right at the end, as I was in the car park packing gear away with Jacks going crazy with me having been away for three or so hours (post lunch) this van of babes stopped for a chat about the dogs, I came so close to asking if I could take their photos for this thread, as they really were what this is about Cool

Now going to sift through the "punter" shots, as I was on my own and you always tend to ski without breaks so needed an excuse to rest the legs.

Twas a great day snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

This thread is becoming hilarious DB assumes everyone is gay and fatbob is a sociopath

and weathercam is (perish the thought) not a punter.

I am glad to be doing a week's off-piste course, I think I need some solid chunks of tuition and the repetition and practice will help a lot, I'm sure. I've not yet stopped to consider the sexual proclivities of the other members of the group. Laughing
ski holidays
meh, nice. snowHead
ski holidays
Blimey..... Little did I know the hare I set running when I started this thread. Lost the will to live reading the entries on this page...

I'll get me coat....... Confused
snow report
Perty, some Uber testosterone Snowhead forum members would love to create and keep going a thread like this Laughing

Fortunately they don't tend to "go" off piste (in forum terminology at least) rolling eyes
latest report
Perty wrote:
Blimey..... Little did I know the hare I set running when I started this thread. Lost the will to live reading the entries on this page...

I'll get me coat....... Confused

Sorry, you hinted few women go off-piste but that turned out to be just an isolated sampling. I'm not surprised a few others got the wrong impression just as easily.
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
This thread is becoming hilarious DB assumes everyone is gay

I assume anybody could be gay, there is a difference.
snow report
abc, chill! .....some people seem to be taking this all far too seriously....
latest report
Perty,
Just out of interest, which guiding company and guide did you use in St Anton?
snow report
I feel a marketing opportunity, I am going to start offering off piste courses for non punterish, impecunious lesbians with small Q angles.
ski holidays
All off-piste skiers are gay? Jeez, without sHs I'd never have clocked that ...

The ones who don't wear helmets are obviously sending out some sort of secret coded message.

What can it be, I wonder?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy