Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are

Poster: A snowHead
DB, that's worryingly true to life.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh, Nah need at least 4 dimensions for a modern skiing "how great am I" positioniser. wink

How about "crowd pleasing"? If you're the greatest skier in the world but you get it done quietly in the backcountry you get nothing, If you always ski under the chairlift something better, if you only get out of bed for a camera then something higher still.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After quite a bit of coaching I would now describe myself as a fairly competent recreational skier. In terms of levels, one of my Inside Out coaches reckons I'm a strong level 7 on their scale, possibly beginning to edge into level 8.

For me, all that matters is that I am now 'good' enough to enjoy my skiing pretty much all of the time . snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
I can rut line bumps on 203cm SuperG skis.

What number does that make me?

whatever number frickin idiot it wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, I didn't realise there was any other routes back down than skiing right under the chair! NehNeh

Fifth dimension is definitely "Fashion". I'll admit to being terribly afflicted with it but I fitted right in the queue for first chair at Moiwa and presume the fashion show is similar in other 'rad' venues.

Getting a tad tricky to graph now though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Which other snowheads skiing clips did you admire -

For me the great ones that spring to mind are -

a) Jimmer skiing powder with some great angulation.
b) dulcamara skiing the backcountry.
c) edit not davidof but under a new name skiing some bumps many moons ago.

I tried to find the clips but failed, maybe someone else can find them and put them up.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 14-01-14 20:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
If you are genuinely a 6-7 then I hate you Laughing Got any video?

Keep the faith sixspeed Smile Mostly 7 is a 2 week possibility- because the way it's written the 6->7 transition is the start of doing blacks and getting that 'I can get down anything' point, where the piste map is no longer a critical accessory at every single junction and a lot of that transition is in your head. We've had around 20 folks join my ski group over the past decade. 2 of them were more than capable of keeping up with us down anything by the end of week 2. Not falling, not 'coping', not wierd leaning back, to my inexpert eye they looked pretty normal. Barring moguls, which are basically a crap skiing detector NehNeh For some it just comes easily...And yes I do hate them.

I think I'm an 8, but will leave IO to let me know in a couple of weeks snowHead

aj xx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla wrote:
DB, that's worryingly true to life.

For me too esp. when coming out of the Mooserwirt. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:

c) davidof skiing some bumps many moons ago.

Me skiing bumps? I must have been drunk to go anywhere near them if that is true.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll admit to skiing under the chair quite often basically cos I'm lazy at scoping lines and believe a bit of psychology that quite a few people don't like being heckled so the snow may be less trashed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:

c) davidof skiing some bumps many moons ago.

Me skiing bumps? I must have been drunk to go anywhere near them if that is true.

It was a long time ago - maybe I've got you mixed up with someone else. Seem to remember it was a discussion about skiboot flex and stiffness. The poster said he skied in stiff (race?) boots then put up a nice bump skiing clip, could that be you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, it was under a new name, (although he posted under a different ID back then).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, Made my day Very Happy

Beer for you, if you ever make it to the Arlberg!

Edit: I always like seeing the ski mountaineering ones, Mikepow for example has some crackers!

I guess Fastman is the man to beat for on-piste technique
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, very kind of you. Vid seems to have disappeared and the account I used was logged in from an old work email. I'll try and find it...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just posted this elsewhere on here...

This is old but always worth reposting.

Incompetent Skier out of his depth in St Anton & this why groomed pistes are very Dangerous !

Anyone know why their laughing ????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/EZ3OHueG7hc
snow conditions
Agreed, that's pretty damn shocking. As the comment mentioned: it's evidence! Sadly St Anton seems to have a reasonable % of morons. I got skied into from behind by a German idiot on a busy narrow track riding back into town several years ago Sad
latest report
jimmer wrote:
This thread is worthless without pictures. Anyone claiming 11 or 12 should post pics!
That assumes we actually have them. I don't. I'm generally unable to have photos taken while I'm skiing, since I'm most often with guests. You can ask Michael or Robin if I can turn them right and left. It's been a few years and I've improved since then, but they can tell you.

There are enough on this board who have skied with me that I am not concerned about being able to "prove" my self-assessment. Besides, this is the Internet, where nobody knows I'm a dog.

snow report
ssh, fine, then don't post pics. It wasn't a call out, just thought most people at that level would have a few photos and it'd be cool to see them.
ski holidays
Not much I can't ski on or off piste with a modicum of style. That'll do for me.

I good rule of thumb is do you have to constantly think about your skiing(like a golf swing) or do you just ski without any fear or trepidation to a level you are happy with on terrain you can safely cope with.

Other than to ascertain the safest line and/or conditions when off piste I just ski without a care in the world. I know there are enough 'tools in the box' to cope with most situations.
snow report
Some footage of my mogul skiing 1m33 in

http://youtube.com/v/j3q4hRBKGKE
ski holidays
jimmer, in that case, I apologize for reading it that way. There's a lot of posturing in the industry (as I'm sure you know), and I just have no space in my life for it. I've been told I don't have the ego to be successful in the ski industry. I find that a bit of damning praise of the industry itself... rolling eyes snowHead

davidof, Laughing Laughing
snow report
davidof, Toofy Grin Shocked Toofy Grin love it!
snow conditions
davidof, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
jimmer, just checked out your website........you can definitely ski I will give you that!! Very impressive stuff and nice site. Wish I had photos and vid but Mrs jirac is not too good with technical equipment!
ski holidays
davidof, quality! The mogul section was insane Very Happy
latest report
davidof, I loved every minute of that - one of the most entertaining bits of video anyone has posted for a long time. Very Happy Did anyone else clock the lack of helmets - even for the errrr............freestyle!!?
latest report
Megamum, helmets? C'mon! Often no hats, usually sunglasses (sometimes goggles, which was my preference), and there weren't helmets made for skiing. They didn't come around until the '90s,and didn't really pick up speed until after 2000, at least in the US (can't speak for the rest of the world).
ski holidays
ssh, no worries. I'll still make sure to check out what Robin and Michael think of your skills though Wink

jirac18, thanks, glad you like the site.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For a recreational skier, who never skied until he was 30, I think I'm pretty good for my weeks on skis total. I was pretty good at most sports and that generally translates but I'll never be as good as someone who learnt young and kept it up (skiing you dirty minded etc.). I did OK in the eosb race once on Pocket Rockets and anyone who ever skied on those knows they were useless for racing.

I still think the best, at least from a technique pov, are the guys (or girls) who can 'zip line' a mogul slope.
ski holidays
jimmer, say "Hi!" for me. It's been a couple of years since we've connected on-snow, but we keep up on Facebook and I keep hoping to get down to Portillo to ski with them there...
snow conditions
Im ok, i can get down pretty much anything safely but as the difficulty increases the speed and grace become significantly less.
Not too keen on speed towards the end of the day when the groomers become churned up......its the bumps that throw me off balance every time.
ski holidays
jimmer wrote:
ssh, fine, then don't post pics. It wasn't a call out, just thought most people at that level would have a few photos and it'd be cool to see them.

Though an American, ssh was an instructor at one of the EOSBs, was well rated by those who skied with him, and turned in one of the fastest times in the race. It's possible he was fastest, he was one of the clutch if instructors whose times dd not count for a race place. He also went off and did roughy toughy stuff with easiski at Les Deux Alpes after the Bash. Just because he doesn't need skiing pics to boost his ego as a skier, doesn't mean he's not well up there on terms of ability. I'm not in his league, but FWIW, I don't think I have any pics of me actually skiing taken since the 80s.
snow report
ssh, LOL No, I know that helmets are a relative new innovation it was just an observation to point out the change in attitudes over time rather than anything else.
snow report
Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are??

Original Film Version made in 1931 by the Nazis in The Arlberg

No Helmets,Shades,Gloves, Safety Bindings, Groomers....

http://youtube.com/v/KOH1Mvy0nfA
latest report
stanton,

I didn't realise you were so old and a Nazi wink
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Original Film Version made in 1931 by the Nazis in The Arlberg

Surely the music should be by Wagner then?
latest report
Quote:

Megamum, helmets? C'mon! Often no hats, usually sunglasses (sometimes goggles, which was my preference), and there weren't helmets made for skiing. They didn't come around until the '90s,and didn't really pick up speed until after 2000, at least in the US (can't speak for the rest of the world).

We used helmets in the mid 80's on the freestyle stuff, but they were usually canoeing helmets, oh and when practicing a life jacket and a wet suit Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Some footage of my mogul skiing 1m33 in

http://youtube.com/v/j3q4hRBKGKE

Laughing Laughing Laughing

At 2:11 is pretty much how I ski bumps Embarassed
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
jimmer wrote:

Though an American, ssh was an instructor at one of the EOSBs, was well rated by those who skied with him, and turned in one of the fastest times in the race. It's possible he was fastest, he was one of the clutch if instructors whose times dd not count for a race place. He also went off and did roughy toughy stuff with easiski at Les Deux Alpes after the Bash. Just because he doesn't need skiing pics to boost his ego as a skier, doesn't mean he's not well up there on terms of ability. I'm not in his league, but FWIW, I don't think I have any pics of me actually skiing taken since the 80s.

Jimmer can ski too. He also shares pics / vids, gives good advice - he doesn't come over as ego boosting to me. Nobody has to but asking others who have said they are really good to post pics etc is a fair call in my opinion. I'd like to see them too.

Britain's Got Skiers 2013, James Winfield from James Winfield
http://vimeo.com/73178560
snow report
DB wrote:
Nobody has to but asking others who have said they are really good to post pics etc is a fair call in my opinion. ...

We all have opinions on sHs. It's part of the fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy