Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking your own alcohol out for Après

Poster: A snowHead
mozwold wrote:

Drambuie - I have a plastic half bottle that fits neatly into my ski-boot and keeps me hip flask full all week long.

Wow, that must be uncomfortable Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HoneyBunny wrote:
mozwold wrote:

Drambuie - I have a plastic half bottle that fits neatly into my ski-boot and keeps me hip flask full all week long.

Wow, that must be uncomfortable Toofy Grin

Works okay for Heather Mills wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's the difference between going into a local ski shop, trying on boots for an hour then buying them online cheaper and taking your own booze into a pub? If it's a legal argument then I accept that but if it's a moral point I just can't see the difference here?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, lol
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidhammy, I'm not sure there is a difference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ed123,
Quote:
the super luxurious Mark Warner.
Must be a different one from the Mark Warner the rest if us know. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mikethemanc wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
Mikethemanc wrote:
I can afford to buy my own drinks, I was just wandering what some of you spirit drinkers did in the more expensive French resorts where spirits are extortionate.

Bit of a contradiction in what you say there. Clearly you can't afford to buy your own drinks if you are contemplating 'sneaky swigs' from a hip flask.

Everyone seems to agree it would be cheap and tacky.

Maybe you could do my tax return as you seem to have a good knowledge of my financial circumstances?

I didn't say I was going to to it, however in the group I'm going skiing with this month, there are a couple of characters that would do.

I'm going to Austria so prices are not a problem.

I am only going on the scant information you are providing about yourself and now the circle you mix with.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidhammy wrote:
What's the difference between going into a local ski shop, trying on boots for an hour then buying them online cheaper and taking your own booze into a pub? If it's a legal argument then I accept that but if it's a moral point I just can't see the difference here?

I wouldn't do the first either wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j. wrote:
davidhammy wrote:

Nor would I.
From my point if view as a publican. If you came into my pub with your own food or drink I would ask you to leave straight away. Repeat offenders are barred and have been.
The licienced trade is hard enough for small Independants at the moment as it is and you are taking away my and my familys livelihood by doing so... Want to drink your own drinks ... STAY AT HOME.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timg60 wrote:
a.j. wrote:
davidhammy wrote:

Nor would I.
From my point if view as a publican. If you came into my pub with your own food or drink I would ask you to leave straight away. Repeat offenders are barred and have been.
The licienced trade is hard enough for small Independants at the moment as it is and you are taking away my and my familys livelihood by doing so... Want to drink your own drinks ... STAY AT HOME.

I agree but there does seem to be a general consensus that using local shops to try gear on then buying them online is either acceptable or inevitable due to market forces, rising prices and people having to look out for their own families needs but someone suggests taking drinks into a bar and the general consensus is that it is bad form and damages the bar owner income.....I find that confusing as surely if you want to save money then it's fair game as if you can get the same product substantially cheaper elsewhere and still enjoy the benefits of a local shop or bar then it's fine?

To me both are not something I would choose to do but I don't condone or condem anyone for doing it as in the UK encouraging the race to the bottom is accepted with the inevitable reduction in choice and quality......price is king it seems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given only two people have replied and we both said no, maybe it's not general concensus after all? Toofy Grin Certainly whenever I see people talking about it for boots we always say don't do it.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I agree but there does seem to be a general consensus that using local shops to try gear on then buying them online

But I guess they don't buy online whilst still in the shop where they tried the gear out? So not quite the same IMV Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find it perfectly acceptable to try something on in the shop then buy it via the interwebulator. In fact I think some shops almost encourage this behaviour. Edgeandwax for example regularly send out discount codes of up to 10% off which aren't redeemable in store. I'll be off to snowandrock this weekend to try on a jacket, but I'll only buy it from the interwebulator as I can get 6% discount, that's a fair bit when I'm looking at £2-300.

With regards to the sneaky topping up of a drink, there's a bit of a dichotomy here, I've been happy to stick a bit of brandy/whiskey in my lunchtime coffee perhaps, but wouldn't deliberately take out the flask of an evening to make my drinking cheaper. Now it's a pretty irrelevant question though because I don't drink & ski, and in the evenings I generally stay in to drink as it's cheaper & I can get much better wines for my money!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

I agree but there does seem to be a general consensus that using local shops to try gear on then buying them online

But I guess they don't buy online whilst still in the shop where they tried the gear out? So not quite the same IMV Smile

Oh.....right......I don't know how to reply to that as I don't think it makes sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidhammy wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Oh.....right......I don't know how to reply to that as I don't think it makes sense.

He means it would be more like going into a pub, asking the barman for a taste of his special on tap, and then leaving to buy it from the supermarket, as opposed to ordering it from Ocado there and then in the pub.
ski holidays
Oh dear, I was guilty several times last week of ordering a hot drink and taking a small swig from my hip flask of whisky mac while waiting for it. I didn't think twice about doing that. I am obviously a bad person. Embarassed
snow conditions
feef wrote:
davidhammy wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

He means it would be more like going into a pub, asking the barman for a taste of his special on tap, and then leaving to buy it from the supermarket, as opposed to ordering it from Ocado there and then in the pub.

oh right.....makes a little sense but still perhaps a little ridiculous. I was meaning the principle of both situations really, not the actual logistics. Do Ocado deliver to the alps?
ski holidays
I suppose it would be frowned upon if someone saw you... but I personally wouldnt have an objections. I suppose it is like taking your own popcorn to the cinema wink I would buy at least one drink though to make a contribution but thats just me.
snow report
a.j. wrote:
Given only two people have replied and we both said no, maybe it's not general concensus after all? Toofy Grin Certainly whenever I see people talking about it for boots we always say don't do it.....

Agree with you. I think most people would see it as being a poor thing to do. The shop provides an added value service - that is needed - i.e. invests in premises and stock to allow people to see what works best for them - that clearly costs. To then go and buy from someone without those overheads is bound to happen. Personally, wouldn't trust anyone who behaved like that.
snow conditions
davidhammy wrote:
feef wrote:
davidhammy wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

oh right.....makes a little sense but still perhaps a little ridiculous. I was meaning the principle of both situations really, not the actual logistics. Do Ocado deliver to the alps?

Not even a little ridiculous and perhaps you didn't explain your meaning clearly enough . Very Happy You made a comparison with trying gear on and then buying it online with taking your own booze in to the bar. Don't try gear on and buy it online whilst still in the shop where you tried it. Similarly don't take your own booze in to a bar and consume it. Little Angel
snow report
emwmarine +1

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 3-01-14 13:41; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
As a bar owner, I of course think this is incredibly bad form - you wouldn't dare to go into a restaurant and sit eating your own packed lunch or dinner. If you go to a bar you are paying not only for the cost of your drink, but the atmosphere - any music or DJ performing, football on the TV etc, heat, lights, barmaids etc.

Likewise if I go to a ski shop (or any other kind of shop) to try out an item before purchase, if I am offered genuine and helpful advice I will often pay slightly over the odds in the shop as way of thanks - effectively paying for their time and expertise. Many shops now offer online price matching as they are aware of the threat posed to their business by online sellers.

Sadly bars do not have the ability to price match with the supermarkets and suchlike over the price of a pint. This Christmas Morrisons were selling a bottle of Smirnoff (70cl) cheaper than any of my suppliers could buy it direct from Diageo before they even added any margin for themselves, let alone VAT. Yet the big supermarkets claim not to loss lead on alcohol?

Times are tough for many small businesses just now and we should be doing everything in our power to support small, local businesses with good knowledge of their products and customers - be it a grocer, butcher, ski shop or pub - otherwise you woun't have the option in future of trying on that helmet before you buy it.
ski holidays
Quote:

Well I wouldn't go to an independant boot fitter, spend 30 mins with them then say 'cheers, off to buy this online now' cos that is a pretty scummy thing to do. However if I was in TSA I would probbaly be OK with tyrying on boots there then ordering online from them if they were cheaper with the same company online.
snow report
I recently bought some underwear from the Queen's corsetiers ie a very expensive shop. They didn't have much stock and ordered some more for me. When I looked online, I discovered a humungous price differential, so I wrote to them and explained the reason for countermanding my order. I also said that I wouldn't return the items I had purchased, although legally entitled to do so, because I had appreciated their fitting service. I got a very nice letter back from them, thanking me for taking the trouble to explain and expressing their total understanding of my position. I guess it's partly how you do this sort of thing, it's not always black and white.
snow conditions
I think we're all missing an important thing here, that is if the drinks in the bars in the Alps were cheaper, (ie more reasonably priced) we wouldn't feel the need to have a sneaky swig from the hip flask.
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:
I think we're all missing an important thing here, that is if the drinks in the bars in the Alps were cheaper, (ie more reasonably priced) we wouldn't feel the need to have a sneaky swig from the hip flask.

I agreed with your post initially but then you have to factor in the high rent / purchase price of property in the Alps, also, the season is very short so they have to make enough to cover the whole year.

I suppose it depends on your situation, if you're not flush then you can do what you want and I don't think anyone would overly mind... if you have the funds then it is very bad form to not spend in someone elses establishment.
latest report
Define 'reasonably priced'.

You do realise that the costs of running a mountain hut are a little higher than the cost Lidl or Aldi have to deal with comparatively I assume?
ski holidays
Edelweiss28 wrote
Quote:

I agreed with your post initially but then you have to factor in the high rent / purchase price of property in the Alps, also, the season is very short so they have to make enough to cover the whole year.

On initial observation your reply should be correct, but then we should take into account how bars can afford happy hours where the price drops significantly and the bar generally fills up and sells a lot more. What's more, the season may be short but in resort when every night is a holiday night the week could be said to contain 6 saturdays which more than make up for the short season, if you know what I'm getting at here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gixxerniknik wrote:

i.e. It's ok as I only stole a small thing.
ski holidays
Quote:

I suppose it is like taking your own popcorn to the cinema

Oh dear! Having felt reasonably virtuous I find myself guilty of this. Not popcorn, but sweets for the children or the occasional bottle of wine for Mrs FZ and me. Never really thought about it much, but the wine I justify as they don't sell that and the sweets I justify as they charge such an outrageous premium and it's not their core business. Maybe a bit like going to Wimbledon (where food is available to buy) but taking your own picnic.
latest report
and some of those bars and restaurants are actually all-year concerns (and indeed several are very much summer places, shut for winter, being outside the ski area).
snow report
emwmarine wrote
Quote:

i.e. It's ok as I only stole a small thing.

You may be comfortable with the feeling of being ripped off, but I'm not which is why I very rarely go out for a drink in resort.

Legend wrote
Quote:

Define 'reasonably priced'.
You do realise that the costs of running a mountain hut are a little higher than the cost Lidl or Aldi have to deal with comparatively I assume

Of course. Just compare the prices for goods sold in the supermarkets in resort with the same sized shops down the mountain. Of course there are additional costs involved, but the premium charged is greater in the bars than in the supermarkets for example.
latest report
Timg60 wrote:
Never...
It would put the likes of me out of work if we all did it........
Touchy subject having just dealt with New Year's Eve ..

Hip flask on the mountain. Wallet for bar.

This ^^^^^
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:
Edelweiss28 wrote
Quote:

On initial observation your reply should be correct, but then we should take into account how bars can afford happy hours where the price drops significantly and the bar generally fills up and sells a lot more. What's more, the season may be short but in resort when every night is a holiday night the week could be said to contain 6 saturdays which more than make up for the short season, if you know what I'm getting at here.

Very good point. I didnt think of that, I suppose it all levels out in that regard.

Property prices are much higher though so they have to negate that...
snow conditions
Quote:

No, if you do not wish to pay over the odds for a beer and enjoy the atmosphere of a pub, then you should stay at home and drink supermarket booze. If you want the fun of a pub, then buy your drinks there. Sheesh!

Quote:

No, it is not. The cinema sells popcorn for your convenience, you are allowed to consume your own food and drink in (most, all?) cinemas. It is not the same thing as going into a resturant, ordering a tap water and cracking out your own picnic and bottle of wine.
snow conditions
Quote:

Oh dear, I think I can feel my blood pressure starting to rise a little. The bar owner sets whatever prices he feels are right for him and his business. It's up to you whether you choose to buy them or not. None of that gives any justification for a sneaky swig from a hip flask. Would you steal a napkin/glass/ashtray etc. from a Michelin starred restaurant on the basis that the prices are (in your view) unreasonable, so you 'felt the need'?

Edelweiss28,
Quote:
I suppose it depends on your situation, if you're not flush then you can do what you want and I don't think anyone would overly mind.
Blood pressure rising further now. We aren't talking about a starving man stealing a loaf of bread. Once you get beyond sheer necessity / survival then how flush you are is completely irrelevant.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Oh dear, I think I can feel my blood pressure starting to rise a little. The bar owner sets whatever prices he feels are right for him and his business. It's up to you whether you choose to buy them or not. None of that gives any justification for a sneaky swig from a hip flask. Would you steal a napkin/glass/ashtray etc. from a Michelin starred restaurant on the basis that the prices are (in your view) unreasonable, so you 'felt the need'?

Edelweiss28,
Quote:
I suppose it depends on your situation, if you're not flush then you can do what you want and I don't think anyone would overly mind.
Blood pressure rising further now. We aren't talking about a starving man stealing a loaf of bread. Once you get beyond sheer necessity / survival then how flush you are is completely irrelevant.

But you take sweets into the cinema for the kids to avoid the high markup?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Oh dear! Having felt reasonably virtuous I find myself guilty of this. Not popcorn, but sweets for the children or the occasional bottle of wine for Mrs FZ and me. Never really thought about it much, but the wine I justify as they don't sell that and the sweets I justify as they charge such an outrageous premium and it's not their core business. Maybe a bit like going to Wimbledon (where food is available to buy) but taking your own picnic.

A friend who used to manage a cinema told me recently that the food is actually where the profits are made, not films, suprising I know! Apparently very little of the film revenue stays with the cinema, most is paid to the studios. Popcorn is their biggest earner with a markup of over 10,000%
latest report
Good lord we have some real goody two shoes on this forum. Everyone's an angel when it's in their best interest. I bet everyone of the restauranteurs and bar owners have done something to impinge on some other walk of life somewhere.

Simple lower your prices and folks won't feel the need to sneak a hip flask in!!

I for one have drunk from a hip flask on a bar terrace with a coffee, I have taken sweets and popcorn into a cinema and I have tried stuff on then bought on line. String me up folks then get a grip!

Ps. I also speed on the autoroute and motorway when the police aren't looking. Let me think what else I can confess to that so many others feel is disgraceful behaviour?
ski holidays
Edelweiss28, it doesn't matter if cinemas make a lot of profit from food not films, it is still not against their T&Cs to eat your own food and drink in there.

Quote:

If you are not flush, I suggest not going skiing, or go skiing to bulgaria where the bar price might be more to your liking, or book yourself a SC apartment and drink supermarket beer. How are people so bloody tight?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy