Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking your own alcohol out for Après

Poster: A snowHead
Do any of you take your own alcohol out to bars for Après? Hip flask with vodka in? Any other way?

Do you find that you can get away with drinking your own spirits without getting caught? I'm not talking about avoiding buying drinks, more just buying a few beers then going on vodka and mixers but only buying the mixer
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mikethemanc, I have been known to dollop a discreet brandy into a coffee, out of a hip flask but no, I would never take my own alcohol to a bar. But then I am perfectly happy drinking it at home; I've never understood (even when I was young) the obsession with bars. Especially in the days when they were full of smoke.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I stopped doing that sort of stuff at uni.

I'll have a beer at my local pub, I'll go skiing on a ski holiday.

When you factor in the cost of the trip, your equipment and everything else, is a few quid saved on getting pissed really such a big deal?

Tbh, if I wanted to spend a shed load on a holiday to go and get pissed, I'd just do Ibiza or something.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I'm having (and have bought) a few beers in an apres bar, I have no problem also taking a few sips from my hip flask if I fancy some whisky - but deliberately planning to take lots of alcohol to avoid buying it from a bar is a bit of a douche move.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mikethemanc, no but I can afford my drinks. I did give someone a swig of whisky mac from my flask while we were in the loop bar in tignes, so he could taste it, the barman immediately came over to ask us to stop. I do surreptitiously put a tot in my hot chocolate when no one is looking though Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can afford to buy my own drinks, I was just wandering what some of you spirit drinkers did in the more expensive French resorts where spirits are extortionate.

It would seem a quick swig from the flask is quite common
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never...
It would put the likes of me out of work if we all did it........
Touchy subject having just dealt with New Year's Eve ..

Hip flask on the mountain. Wallet for bar.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timg60 wrote:

Seems fair enough that
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timg60 wrote:

^this. If I can't afford it, I just drink less. Copious alcohol should not be the be all and end all for a good night out wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crafty swig or crafty "spicing up" of a hot choccy, while nobody is looking, is the most i'd do

the "while nobody is looking" is not so much defrauding the bar, but probably more due to licensing laws in a foreign country.

not gonna get much apres from a hip flask. apres for me is just a refreshing beer, glühwein or bombardino anyway. and it's not just the spirits that are a bit steep in some places! (although Courchevel is a bit of an outlier on the VFM chart)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Took a flask of home made damson vodka to a restaurant in Montgenevre last week, and shared it with the owner and waitress; got a glass of champagne in return, and genepi after every meal that we had there. Very Happy What goes around comes around.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

This ^^ Taking own spirits out to the bar? I might as well stay home and go to the Grafton rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beer can often be not much different price wise to a mixer...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cstreat wrote:
Took a flask of home made damson vodka to a restaurant in Montgenevre last week, and shared it with the owner and waitress; got a glass of champagne in return, and genepi after every meal that we had there. Very Happy What goes around comes around.

Perfectly acceptable. You weren't trying to sneak a drink and I would have done the same in the owners place... Well maybe not the champers. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I also agree with this.

Don't be such a tight-wad Mikethemanc! Sneaking spirits into bar mixers is only (just) acceptable while being an immature and poor uni student!
latest report
One of the party here at Christmas bought sloe gin which was shared with the local restaurant last year, and this year he bought some very hoppy home brewed beer - which was quite an experience for the French team, I suspect! Made for a good entente cordiale - they had various free drinks to try, in return.
latest report
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

This ^^ Taking own spirits out to the bar? I might as well stay home and go to the Grafton rolling eyes

Toofy Grin
snow report
I will declare an interest here, my main business is hotels and restaurants. From my point of view, people bringing there own drinks into the pub is totally unacceptable. The costs to run a good pub these days are very high (I.e. A reasonable sized pub restaurant can easily spend 3k a month on electric alone in winter ) and most businesses can struggle to make profit at all during the 'quiet months' of the year.

I would think the economics of running a venue in a ski resort with only 5 months trading a year are even more extreme. While I do think there is some profit taking by a minority of bars (Grizzly in Tignes comes to mind rolling eyes ), most bars charge the amount they need to get through the closed season.

Got to say, I'm really please with the positive reaction on here, Smile
ski holidays
I think we've come as close as we can to Snowheads unanimity on this one Very Happy
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mikethemanc, no but I can afford my drinks. I did give someone a swig of whisky mac from my flask while we were in the loop bar in tignes, so he could taste it, the barman immediately came over to ask us to stop.
At which point we said to him "But while you're here, do us another round of toffees", so he wasn't cross Laughing
PS, and they say Yorkshire men are tight! wink
latest report
Mikethemanc wrote:
I can afford to buy my own drinks, I was just wandering what some of you spirit drinkers did in the more expensive French resorts where spirits are extortionate.

Bit of a contradiction in what you say there. Clearly you can't afford to buy your own drinks if you are contemplating 'sneaky swigs' from a hip flask.

Everyone seems to agree it would be cheap and tacky.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
Clearly you can't afford to buy your own drinks if you are contemplating 'sneaky swigs' from a hip flask.

He didn't say he was thinking of doing it (although he may well be..) - but an interesting debating point. Being a Rioja fan, not much I could do to smuggle anyway NehNeh
latest report
martinm wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
Clearly you can't afford to buy your own drinks if you are contemplating 'sneaky swigs' from a hip flask.

He didn't say he was thinking of doing it (although he may well be..) - but an interesting debating point. Being a Rioja fan, not much I could do to smuggle anyway NehNeh

I did say 'if you are con'….
snow conditions
I have whisky in my hipflask for on the slopes (Lagavulin usually). I don't do that in bars though, except one time when we had bought lunch and drinks and I gave the bartender a tot to try first.
snow conditions
Since we are all in agreement think its time for a what's your hip flask poison thread snowHead
ski holidays
Timg60 wrote:
Since we are all in agreement think its time for a what's your hip flask poison thread snowHead

Nothing - at least not until you've passed through security at the airport if it's in your hand luggage. Most will hold more than 50ml and downing 200-375ml of single malt at 6AM isn't as good as it sounds (and lets face it your not going to just pour it down the drain are you).
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2166774&highlight=hip+flask#2166774 Toofy Grin

landlockedpirate, pub in St. Helens? Which one?
snow report
I find it difficult to hide a bottle of champagne
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peterkct wrote:
I find it difficult to hide a bottle of champagne

That's what camelbacks are for isn't it....

Runs away
snow report
Quote:

Timg60 wrote:
Since we are all in agreement think its time for a what's your hip flask poison thread

Drambuie - I have a plastic half bottle that fits neatly into my ski-boot and keeps me hip flask full all week long.

Timg60, have to admit being caught taking a drink into a bar - but it's difficult to hide a cask of Hobgoblin under tour ski jacket wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I will declare an interest here, my main business is hotels and restaurants. From my point of view, people bringing there own drinks into the pub is totally unacceptable. The costs to run a good pub these days are very high (I.e. A reasonable sized pub restaurant can easily spend 3k a month on electric alone in winter ) and most businesses can struggle to make profit at all during the 'quiet months' of the year.

I would think the economics of running a venue in a ski resort with only 5 months trading a year are even more extreme. While I do think there is some profit taking by a minority of bars (Grizzly in Tignes comes to mind ), most bars charge the amount they need to get through the closed season.

+1

Excuse me for being slightly off subject, but we're losing traditional pubs in the UK at an alarming rate, how would we all feel if we had use Themed Bars on our favourite runs or all the old bars in our favourite resort disappeared to be replaced by O'Neils/Hard Rock Cafe/Madisons et al
ski holidays
Anyway, I find the best way to avoid the "extortionate prices in Expensive French resorts" is to go to Austria wink
latest report
Tbh. I do find the prices expensive but it is a holiday and save accordingly. We go self catering, few beers at après then back for food and a few vin rouges.
Once or twice in a week might venture back out for a beer or two to take in the atmosphere rather than to get pissed.
I'm there for the skiing after all, not the hangovers.
latest report
Timg60, Ditto.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Mikethemanc wrote:

Bit of a contradiction in what you say there. Clearly you can't afford to buy your own drinks if you are contemplating 'sneaky swigs' from a hip flask.

Everyone seems to agree it would be cheap and tacky.

Maybe you could do my tax return as you seem to have a good knowledge of my financial circumstances?

I didn't say I was going to to it, however in the group I'm going skiing with this month, there are a couple of characters that would do.

I'm going to Austria so prices are not a problem.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2166774&highlight=hip+flask#2166774 Toofy Grin

landlockedpirate, pub in St. Helens? Which one?

I'm a Ops Manager now for the North West, but I had the Waterside, Carr Mill Dam in the 90's.
snow report
Some bar owners in Austria have been known to call the Police as it
actually illegal to consume products not bought on the premises.
ski holidays
I've found myself potentially booked on 2 trips to France this winter having not been since 09.

Worst I've experienced was La Rosiere, worked out at knocking on 8 quid a pint! I've since been to a few French resorts and nothing has got close to that. There's a psychological barrier with me of about 5 quid a pint any more than that and I won't have more than one or two-I expect to pay more in the mountains due to the logistics.

My experience of Austria is that it's cheaper but still not cheap. I've only really been to what you'd call mainstream resorts though.

I'd not take my own booze but I'd rather not drink than pay for any more than a couple of pints at more than a fiver!
snow report
€9.90 for a metric "pint" in courchevel, although that's somewhat higher than the norm.
almost exactly 1/3rd that price in Austria.
latest report
Mikethemanc, I'm afraid to say I did this more or less as a student on ultra-low budget coach trips with Top-Deck to Kirkberg circa 1988. Just about everyone at the hotel / hostile (the name of which escapes me) bought crates of the beer they served in the bar, cooled it on the balconies and then drank it down stairs. Quite a few people do more or less the same in Chalet Hotels, even with the super-luxurious Mark Warner. We quite often buy a bottle of Champagne or two from the supermarket and drink it in a belt- which also sells wines and Champagne.

Now this is slightly different from taking a hip flask to a bar, which I don't think I've done, but might have as an impetous and impoverished youth.

The youth of today probably get into more trouble by taking drugs into a pub or club rather than those sold by the 'official' dealer…(not something I approve of).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy