Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2013/2014 Where's the best snow currently?

Poster: A snowHead
Yea, I should have named the thread more carefully.

Below are our off piste requirements:

George 3G wrote:
We do venture off piste but not far and not with a guide. Wherever we go we ensure that the piste is still visible, so it's more like taking shortcuts across the off piste areas rather than venturing far.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
George 3G, make sure you get local advice; conditions are reportedly very dangerous at the moment - and you aren't necessarily safe within site of the piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Current conditions @ Alpbach (photo from Alpinforum report), a serious contender in the competition for "good conditions on open slopes" rolling eyes

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dear god Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dear god Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That looks horrible.
Reminds me of the first season we moved out here in 2006. Flachau was just a strip about a piste basher wide down to valley. Thankfully nowhere near like that this year.
Pistes are needing fresh snow now round here; they are very compact (more detalis on the report thread).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not pretty! Looks like Thredbo Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meanwhile, 5km away in the Zillertal, the webcams looked rather white at 16:39 this afternoon.
Where/when did you find that pic?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Meanwhile, 5km away in the Zillertal, the webcams looked rather white at 16:39 this afternoon.
Where/when did you find that pic?

The photo is from a report on alpinforum which is i.m.o. the best site for trip reports etc.
Here's the subfolder with trip reports, sorted by country http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

As you can see the photo was taken on valley level, higher up you will probably have snow alongside the piste.
In general, any slope that is not completely north-facing is greenish-brown up to about 1800 m / 5500 ft.

Of course I handpicked a photo to illustrate the effect of extreme snow-drought followed by foehn wind and rain.
You will find other photo's where the situation looks better due to the cosmetic effect of the last 10-15 cm of snow that fell.

Here's another one, Filzmoos this time

And this one @ Filzmoos has surprising similarity to Winterberg. First Filzmoos (AT)

Then Winterberg (D)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i'd looked there, and don't see that pic for Alpbachtal. Must be hiding in a thread without alpbach in the title? Search didn't come up with anything recent either.

edit: think I found it. That pic will be at 800m ?

Often use that forum, but mainly to check status of new lifts being built.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Filzmoos' majority is south facing so those runs to valley get a real hammering at this time of year (Loads of TO's use Filzmoos which makes a small ski area very busy indeed at New Year).

5km over Rossbrand mountain is a different story...

Filzmoos live:
http://www.filzmoos.at/de/service/wetter-webcams.html

Radstadt Live:
http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/news/webcams/salzburger-sportwelt/radstadt/205766

No camera on the run into valley but it looks much the same.

New snow please....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The seemingly endless series of dumps on the southern Alps gets another episode

Gressoney (1650m, Aosta valley, NW Italty) gets the nexty dump - picture from Monterosa Ski facebook

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Temps look to be inverted next week. At least the wind will be low and they are not forecasting fog.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely....shame I'm off to Tignes next weekend.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
George 3G, if you still havent't booked, Monterosa as above is getting another 50cm forecast this weekend on top of a 1m30 dump at village level which was on top of a solid base. This is last Wednesday

We had a lovely few hours yesterday in Chamonix skiing powder in (unforecast) sunshine and we expect another 20-30cms today.
snow report
Talking to the people in our appartment, the pistes in the 3vs seem to have freshened up a lot with the regular flutters over the last few weeks. Today is snowing as well. A bit of a snow drought is always good news for high resorts. we are getting queries for next year.
snow report
And for contrast, here's a picture taken yesterday in Brixen im Thale (AT), taken from dutch wintersporters.nl website
snow report
Certainly seems to be a big variation in conditions throughout the alps. For those who have pre booked before the season some would be cursing their choice of resort right now. Are businesses in parts of Austria with a snow drought starting to suffer? I can only hope conditions change soon and everyone can get a big dump snowHead
ski holidays
Over here it's still largely the same as this, though no snow under the level of the bridge in the valley. Still plenty of snow (as of New Years Day) down to the base of Patscherkofel:

Still, there's no question that the southern Alps are a better bet atm if you're making a late booking.

Does look like we'll get some snow this weekend though, particularly in the southern valleys (Oetztal and Stubaital).
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Onnem wrote:
Quote:
is there a comprehensive map of all the ski resorts across the Alps?

Yes there is, but it is in Dutch...
http://www.wintersporters.nl/weersneeuw/sneeuwverwachting

It's a snow forecast map, with zooming and panning, and you can search for your favorite resort via a search field.

That map is a nice idea but is a load of tripe!

Absolute nonsense and inaccurate!... apart from the lack of supplying reliable information it is great!

It is an inaccurate as any forecast is.

I visit this map on a regular basis, and find it handy to place resorts in relation to one another, snow depths are fairly accurate, but snow depths don't say anything, as each terrain has its own requirement for enough snow, are there rocks, bolders, bushes, or grassy meadows. Apart from what sort of surface is under the snow, presuming there is snow (did I just say that??? shame on me), is what the resort itself does to manage the base. For example at Christmas, in Verbier, just after a serious 40 cm dump of snow, ventured over to Siviez, and on the route down from Plan du Fou to Siviez, I was shocked at how many rocks I skied (read scraped) over on the way down. After that last snow dump, I really hadn't expected that. In my belief, it could have been loads better, but the piste manager had been clearly slacking on the job. Off piste or next to the piste, between the pistes there it was fine, but the piste itself was shockingly poor before 1 pm after a 40 cm dump.

There is no map or weather forecast that's going to give you that kind of information. Best to continue to read this forum and others and look for pictures of conditions from real people, real time if you want the real scoop.

That's what I'm doing...I have a couple of ski days where I can choose where to go, and I'm spending some quality time to find good snow, challenging terrain and close to Flims...

Carry on.
snow report
http://panocam.skiline.cc/nassfeld
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy