Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2013/2014 Where's the best snow currently?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I hope this is the right section.

I've had great difficulty in choosing a final resort for a trip out to the Alps on the 11th of Jan. I finally chose one in Austria but I'm hearing reports that the snow isn't too good at the moment and it's better in the south or west.

Can anyone confirm which resorts currently have the best conditions please?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what i've seen rumoured... the Dolomites got a massive dump. Give it a day and the powder will be pristinely pisted, and at the end of the day it'll be mogulled to hell.

I'll be in Austria though. First resort in the valley I checked was 60cm of snow, which is more than enough for on piste.

Spose it really depends what you mean by "best" ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks andy, I just mean good condition pistes and powdery off pistes for a bit of fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
off piste might be "interesting" any where. won't catch me there just yet.

on piste - wouldn't worry. it's still December, and still 2 weeks yet. worry if it rains and the webcams show grass with white stripes narrower than the piste markers, 3 days before you fly.
edit: and we managed a full 6 days skiing the last time we turned up in resort in that state, but it's certainly nowhere near that state anywhere in the alps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gressonay , anywhere on the south side of the Monte Rosa , cheap too there .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
George 3G, monterosa has had had more snow than I've seen in 13 years of regular visits...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
George 3G, where in Austria are you heading?

Have a look at the reports section of the site.

Things are really good round here (and have been since season start)... only problem this week is all the other people using them!

Here is a link to reports around Salzburg:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102925&highlight=
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy, had a great day at Zauchensee off piste yesterday... only problem was it was tracked out so early as it was busy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looked at the next set of storms coming in this weekend , Monterosa is going to get a big hit again .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes you are right in that the snow is mainly falling in south west Austria so places such as Sölden & Obergurgl are good bets at the moment.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomites and Glencoe seem to have about the greatest depths right now. Both look like getting more snow this week. The Dolomites will be slightly less windy and more sheltered however. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best snow conditions by far, to be found in north-western part of Italy. Cervinia, Champoluc, Gressoney, Alagna, La Thuile, Courmayeur, Madesimo, Sestriere, Bardonecchia, Livigno.
Sourthern french alps are OK too, but already significantly smaller amount of snow. Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier, Risoul, Vars, Les Orres, Isola 2000.
Dolomites (Selva Valgardena, Arraba etc) did OK too.

Everything north of the alpine ridge has bad snow conditions. The same southern flow that brought massive amounts of snow to Italy and southern french alps, brought rain up to 1500 meters and foehn wind for days on end. After this they got 10 cm of snow which only makes the landscape white but is not sufficient to ski on.

Weather predections are for more snow in the southwest, and unseasonably warm weather in eastern and northern alps.

All the major Austrian resorts in Tirol have snow conditions far below standard.

To get a good impression of current snow conditions in aosta valley, see the links I posted in the Champoluc topic.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106083

Here's 2 pictures to give an idea

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The food may also have the edge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.... and less smoking. It isn't often that Italy has more snow than Austria and France, so now would be a good time to sample Italian skiing.

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was a little nervous booking my Snowheads Bash to Arabba with reports of 'erratic' natural snowfall in the area. Guess that means some years they hit the jackpot as well.
ski holidays
Raven, in the years we've been doing the Birthday Bash there, we've seen 'epic years' and we've seen 'dreadful years' - but even when supposedly dreadful we've had perfect pistes across the whole domain - there really is nothing to worry about beyond the normal mountain weather concerns ie. white-outs, closed roads, coldness, sun-burn etc...
snow report
Don't worry admin I'm now pretty confident there should be plenty of snow for us bashers come February. I think I mentioned elsewhere that I actually was originally headed for Saalbach in Austria and it currently looks like a good decision to switch snowHead
snow report
Raven,
You are confusing me now....

What is wrong with Saalbach/Hinterglemm at the moment?
Pretty much everything is open and the place is in full swing with recent snow fall.

Good idea to hook up with a Snowheads Bash (mrs flange has been and loved it!) but please don't bash other ski areas at the same time!

These are the stats at Ski Amadé at present....

http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/skiresorts
latest report
Sorry, not meaning to bash other areas at all. Just that my usual luck would be to change to Italy and Saalbach to have a big dump of snow. Austria and Saalbach are still on my to list for a future trip one day.
snow conditions
http://www.bergfex.com/tirol/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144
snow conditions
@Flangesax

Without a doubt the Austrian ski areas do their utmost to make the most of what little snow they have at present.
But there's no denying that natural snowfall so far this season is about 40% short of normal.
Luckily the consmetic layer of 15 cm of snow that fell after all that rain and foehn polish up appearance to at least a hint of winter.

Can't blame anyone to who's still free to choose, when he goes to the regions that are blessed by the Italian variant of "Frau Holle"
ski holidays
Most of Northern Tirol is pretty poor atm; fine onpiste, but not great. Southern Tirol (Stubaital and Oetztal) should be pretty good (they got a lot more from the storms coming through from the south), and the extreme West of Tirol (Vorarlberg/Arlberg sort of area) should be ok.

Saying that, you can still ski just fine all the way to the base of Patscherkofel as of this morning (900m). There is more snow now on all aspects than we left to go to the UK for Christmas.

From reports on here Salzburg has had some good snow recently.

In reality though, the whole of the southern Alps should have much better snow, though avi conditions offpiste could probably best be described as 'interesting.' Seems like the next few storms will likely be a milder repeat of the last, so again favouring the southern Alps (hopefully Obergurgl/Soelden/Stubai will still pick up plenty of snow though).
ski holidays
Onnem, agreed!

I just get a wee bit frustrated (obviously as I have a business interest as well as personal) by the blanketing of 'No snow in the Alps' type of attitude.
Around here all pistes are open, a bit patchy in worn areas although these are few and far between.
Off piste needs freshening up but has a good base.
ski holidays
George - I too am looking to book for the 11th - currently looking at one the the Aosta resorts as it seems to have the better snow at the moment and there does seem some more on the way this weekend. I am tempted by monterosa but my buddies think it is not lively enough for them and we have one first timer Sad so am considering Cormeyeur now - let me know if you get any better suggestions and I will keep an eye on this thread - johnor
snow report
Photo from a friend who was near Salzburg for NYE - conditions aren't all that bad...

snow report
clarky999, looks pretty good!
snow report
I take snow reports from anyone with a business interest with a shovel full of salt. FWIW Nassfeld was pretty much perfect last Friday including the off piste. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq3jzl97c0jac60/IMG_8751.JPG
latest report
BertieG, Are you implying thatflangesax is being dishonest for the sake of their business? I find that rather distasteful and you obviously do not read very well! flangesax, always gives very fair assessments and honest ones too, just do a little search and you will see that they do not exaggerate in the hope of getting more custom. As a small pension it is hardly necessary as they can fill it easily with Austrians, Czechs and any number of Dutch if they so wished. Unlike some of the regulars on here pimping their wares, they are not dependent on the British tourists. However those of us who have stayed there know that we can rely on them for accurate assessments.

Yes Kärnten currently has more snow, but that is not to say there is not more than enough elsewhere. I was skiing untouched powder with a group only about 5kms as the crow flies from Radstadt yesterday, so am I lying as well? Am I boosting the stats for my own nefarious purposes? The skiing in Sportwelt Amadé could be better, but bad it most certainly is not. In most areas the valley runs are fully open and the only lifts not open are those that are in the process of being de-commissioned or special ones for race pistes. Personally I would take the word of someone like flangesax who is living here over a standard British skier who has one or two weeks a year, maybe in an area I am interested in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TSamerberg Sue, The OP is trying to find the best snow. Something many of us try to do. George 3G, wasn't asking for just OK conditions which it seems to me is all you are going to get in the north flangesax, says" things are really good" which I suspect would not meet my criteria for "really good" and I think it is fair to say that the post wasn't adding anything useful. So lets try to keep the thread on track - Where is the best snow? and I would like to know how is snow stability where the is lots of new snow such as above the trees in Monterosa?
ski holidays
I'm not sure why everyone is getting so tetchy here. The OP asked where the best snow was at the moment - and the answer isn't Austria. Or France. The answer might, of course, be quite different by 11 January.
ski holidays
I hope it's good in wengen then, I know that rolling eyes
latest report
pam w, too true!
Looks like the Italians have bagged the good stuff at the mo!...
Can't ski there though as I have a blue vist outfit

BertieG,
On or off piste 'really good'?
And not fanstastic, excellent, amazing yet neither nice, ok or good; just really good wink
snow report
If conditions are your concern then you're probably choosing resort too early as you will be better off waiting until about 3 days beforehand to see where the snow is due
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for their input and happy new year to all.

Previous to last year my only skiing experience abroad was in Saas Fee as part of a school trip over ten years ago, so I'm no expert when it comes to picking resorts, especially with the conditions being how they are at the moment.

I have no problem with leaving booking the trip closer to our departure date, I'm just very conscious of losing availability and therefore choice.

I will take a look at the resorts Onnem, suggested. Are there any other resorts that could be recommended? In short our budget is £600 maximum for flights, HB accommodation (or catered chalet) and transfers. Our part consists of one beginner snowboarder, one intermediate skier and one intermediate snowboarder.

Lastly, is there a comprehensive map of all the ski resorts across the Alps? I've had a search on google but not found anything
latest report
Quote:

is there a comprehensive map of all the ski resorts across the Alps?

If there were it would be hopelessly confusing - because on such a small scale a lot of resorts would be crowded on top of each other on the map - there are hundreds - probably thousands.

The "best snow" is not really essential for your group, quite frankly, as you will presumably be sticking to the piste. You need "good enough" snow and - most important of all - good tuition.

One option you could look at is Action-Outdoors - offering holidays at the UCPA Centre in La Plagne, with everything except flights at £700 - transfers from Geneva, FULL board accommodation, equipment hire, lessons and lift pass. There are both ski and snowboard lessons available that week. Other possibilities too, on that site, and if you do a quick search here there's a code to get £10 off - I think you can also get further reductions if you're a student. If you do a search on UCPA on here you will find loads of satisfied customers.
snow report
Quote:

Yes there is, but it is in Dutch...
http://www.wintersporters.nl/weersneeuw/sneeuwverwachting

It's a snow forecast map, with zooming and panning, and you can search for your favorite resort via a search field.
snow conditions
We do venture off piste but not far and not with a guide. Wherever we go we ensure that the piste is still visible, so it's more like taking shortcuts across the off piste areas rather than venturing far.
latest report
Quote:

The "best snow" is not really essential for your group, quite frankly, as you will presumably be sticking to the piste. You need "good enough" snow and - most important of all - good tuition.

+1
snow report
Onnem wrote:
Quote:

Yes there is, but it is in Dutch...
http://www.wintersporters.nl/weersneeuw/sneeuwverwachting

It's a snow forecast map, with zooming and panning, and you can search for your favorite resort via a search field.

That map is a nice idea but is a load of tripe!

Absolute nonsense and inaccurate!... apart from the lack of supplying reliable information it is great!
ski holidays
What you need is ADAC!

http://www.adac-skiguide.de/de/skigebiete/#bm=alpstein_map&ov=

"That's right, it filets, it chops, it dices, slices,
Never stops, lasts a lifetime, mows your lawn
And it mows your lawn and it picks up the kids from school
It gets rid of unwanted facial hair, it gets rid of embarrassing age spots,
It delivers a pizza, and it lengthens, and it strengthens
And it finds that slipper that's been at large
under the chaise lounge for several weeks