Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
flying_squirrel, I know you're not on line much right now ... but a couple of questions:

- it looks more or less finished, but when is Club Med supposed to start receiving guests? The 17th?
- why is it being built by Poles? Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, Lots of Poles in the UK doing a sterling job. Many in the moving industry, especially around London are employing them. The word is they are excellent employees with the only problem being language. One of our local competitors has empoyed 2 and that is in an area with plenty of staff to choose from. If they cant speak the language then they cant whinge & moan rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, try speaking to a couple of Bulgarians though in an artic that you've paid extra for double manning, that sattrack has pinpointed heading north from Lille to Brussels, when they should be on the point of delivering an urgent full load to Grenoble Shocked rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Laughing Laughing Eeeee I shouldn't laugh................ but I am. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Club Med are apparently fully booked for Christmas week, and I am reliably informed they have guests for the start of the season (17th). To quote father Christmas, "Ho ho ho"!! I think they'll get it finished, but it won't be a whole lot of fun for them. One of the blocks still looked a little lacking in the roof department yesterday.
Which kind of explains all the foreign workers - cheaper and willing to work under duress in the cold! They seem to be doing a pretty good job though to be fair. I don't envy them!
As for the F_S, I'll be ready to open in a few days, but having a mini-vacance and opening about 12th when the chalet staff all start getting bored of cleaning their chalets and, more importantly, thirsty! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flying_squirrel, best wishes for the season. Not sure if I can make it again ...... but if I do get the bacon on and the moutarde to hand.
Is the Club Med doing their usual 'all inclusive' stuff ??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely tipping it down (with rain) down in Bourg St Maurice at the moment. From what I can see of the lights on the hill on the Les Arcs side, the snowline seems to be around 1400m at the moment - Les Granges is just about visible, but no lights to be seen above that village...

It's been raining pretty hard on and off since the middle of the afternoon...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, Fantastic (less than) two weeks to go ! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, As a matter of interest would you rather have rain or snow in BSM (presuming it snowing @1400m).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow because it doesn't really cause problems getting about, and if a good base builds up you can get back down to BSM by ski, through the fields, great fun. Still, rain is definitely better than clear skies week after week, as happens now and again. And the kids are happy because snow means rugby at school (ground's been too hard recently).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had an e-mail from Le Vilaret, Peisey to say 30cm fresh snow outside the door. 7 weeks seems a long time all of a sudden
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Temperatures alternating between +1°C and +4°C today down in Bourg, and lots of wet stuff falling from the sky, varying between rain and sleet, so the snowline must have been between 1000m and 1400m or so today.

Hasn't really stopped coming down this afternoon since I got back from Val, so good news for the Upper Tarentaise, and I hope it keeps up at least overnight!

Anyone seen a forecast recently? On 56k at moment and I can't load any 'heavy' pages...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only an incorrect one from snow-forecast.com Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, snow-guess.com has a free day today (Monday 05/12) so the six day forecast is available to non members here - page shouldn't be too heavy but shows continuing small accumulations between now and Thursday night with clearer stuff on Fri and Sat.

Pictures from the 1950 webcams (which may be a bit more of a challenge for your connection speed) at 12pm, 1pm and 2pm show a nice covering in two hours on the blue and red cars but then perhaps I'm getting a little involved as I won't be there for another 7 weeks Confused Confused

edit - the free day was only while they had some hardware problems (that are now fixed) and therefore the URL above is members only again - the three day forecast is here - on a brighter note the 4pm and 5pm pics show more snow on the car on the right hand side of the pic snowHead snowHead Arrrgghh I must stop this I've a VAT return to get done!!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 5-12-05 17:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
Anyone seen a forecast recently? On 56k at moment and I can't load any 'heavy' pages...

The NOAA forecast from the GFS model for next 180 hours is for light to moderate snowfall on Tuesday/Wednesday and then a bit more on Thursday, amounting to perhaps 20cm in total. Freezing level around 1400m, rising slightly towards the end of the week. 192-384 hours forecast is is for light snowfall in the middle of next week and falling temperatures.
ski holidays
Bungle wrote:
2pm show a nice covering in two hours on the blue and red cars but then perhaps I'm getting a little involved as I won't be there for another 7 weeks Confused Confused

I shudder to think what the week leading up to the 28th is going to be like, hopefully not as nail-biting as last time!
snow report
Hope it keeps falling untill the 7th jan when i get outr there. Smile
ski holidays

Caught a quick glimpse of the Cachette piste at Arc 1600 just now, before the clouds closed in again. Certainly looks white - the snowline appears to have been between 1000m and 1200m during yesterday's falls...
ski holidays
sweet
6 weeks and counting...
ski holidays
Even whiter right now, with 5/6 cms falling overnight, and still some light snowfall. Have got to drive up to Les Arcs in a short while, then back down and up the valley to Val d'Isère. Hope some of the ill-equipped visitors of the other day have sorted themselves with winter gear!
ski holidays
PG, just got back from La Rosiere, it's snowed from Fri evening until I left yesterday pm, looks as if the snow gods are favouring our side of the valley as there's snow down as far as Villard-Dessus 1100m.
latest report
David@traxvax, The web cam in La Thuile looks better than it did all of last year Shocked . Just a question for you. Is it me or is it much cheaper to buy a San Bernado full pass in La Rosiere rather than in La Thuile Puzzled ., I worked out It would cost me about 120 Euros for a family pass if I bought the equivalent in Italy.

Anything new or different in LR this year? Do you know where the new webcam locations will be?
snow conditions
Some photos snapped first thing up on the Cachette at Arc 1600 in today's blog entry. You can't tell from the pics but I was standing almost thigh-deep in powder to take them. Fantastic conditions, all that snow going begging because the all-knowing all-powerful CDA has decreed that the season will start later and finish earlier irrespective of what falls from the sky weeks before the official start and end.

Oh for the good old days in the south of France where small resorts mobilise almost overnight to open up as soon as conditions permit! (Ok, Les Arcs and the Savoie do have some advantages, it has to be said... wink)
snow conditions
Keep up the good work,PG,your blogs are fascinating to read, and really whet the appetite. It must be the best start the Tarentaise has had since '99! I hope you make it to Val this week-end....
SCGB said the other day that 13 Italian resorts opened last week-end. Does this mean that they have more freedom to open when they wish, and are not governed by the Italian equivalent of the mysterious CDA.
Some excellent pictures,too!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
David@traxvax, The web cam in La Thuile looks better than it did all of last year Shocked . Just a question for you. Is it me or is it much cheaper to buy a San Bernado full pass in La Rosiere rather than in La Thuile Puzzled ., I worked out It would cost me about 120 Euros for a family pass if I bought the equivalent in Italy.

Anything new or different in LR this year? Do you know where the new webcam locations will be?

I think our man in LR has missed this post - maybe he is snowed under with work Puzzled snowHead
snow report
Quote:

maybe he is snowed under with work
Oh CP, my belly is bad laughing Laughing Laughing

I suppose a thread on Les Arcs insn't the brightest place to post a question on La Rosiere Embarassed
snow report
I thought Les Arcs was due to open on the 17th.

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-tarentaise&detail=peisey&big=42
latest report
peter markham, It is. Very bizzare. All the surrounding resorts open by latest today , apart from the low altitude La Plagne Villages. Sking looks good for an area not yet open Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Posted on this somewhere - the CDA lift company - imho - attempts to carve up the market according what is commercially viable - so it doesn't make sense to open all the CDA-run domains in a small area and employ people to work the lifts for an extra week or two, and diluting the already low bed occupancy in the likes of Tignes. So they keep Les Arcs closed, La Plagne will have opened in part today, partly in order to try to push people towards Tignes etc.
snow conditions
Sorry , what I meant was that this lift was running this morning, and folks were skiing.
Also can I buy a phone card that gives cheaper calls to the UK via a payphone?
Arriving on 16th at Arc 2000 for the season, can't wait!
ski holidays
peter markham, they might have opened a run for the Peisey ski club racers, I know the Les Arcs club was trying to persuade the lift company to do the same, costs a fortune to go to Tignes...
snow report
Let it snow!! Sounds like the conditions will be ok if this snow really arrives. Do you have a webcam shot of the latest conditions PG.
ski holidays
snowHead Any other snowheads going to be around this weekend in les Arcs for an early ski let me know. Cheers will be arriving on Saturday. Little Angel
snow report
PG, And I'm in trouble on another thread for saying that big business is not a good thing!!!! Shocked
latest report
easiski, what can they do, take my lift pass away?! Laughing You know me, a bit of a disestablishmentarian wink

snowcrazy, I've been stymied since December 1st by my broadband connection being down, hence almost impossible to keep up to date with posting pics, etc. A real headache.
snow report
PG, down for 13 days? Wanadoo installed a new connection for me faster than that!
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
PG, down for 13 days? Wanadoo installed a new connection for me faster than that!

Ditto. And that was me ordering the service online with the aid of Google Language. Time to dump Tiscali?
snow report
PG has it started snowing yet.

We had sun all day today. Nice by the lake though.
ski holidays
Alastair, rob@rar.org.uk, 15 days now. Unbelievable.
snowcrazy, snowing steadily since lunchtime, probably around 5 cms so far.
ski holidays
A morning on the slopes, pretty good conditions generally speaking, certainly better than last year. Just got caught out on one or two of the steeper runs higher up on the Peisey side which were rather stony, and according to a La Plagne instructor the snow is better in the Les Arcs part of Paradiski right now...

Even managed some off piste without catching any rocks amongst the trees.

No queues yet, travelled down some deserted pistes for several minutes without coming across another skier/boarder, not a breath of wind, brilliant sunshine... it was one of those days when you remembered what it was all about Very Happy ...

Will at the Flying Squirrel gradually gearing up for the new season, the Club Med apparently has a few hundred guests already so anyone booked in there will be pleased to know it has be completed in time for this season!

Photo links later...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy