Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
CP, pass me the sick bucket Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about DIOTS? They are brilliant, and easy to boil with potatoes in a pan.The butchers in Peisey makes his own and sells 'em. They really are very tasty....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
What a racket (snow cannons) ... make in the mountains when there's no one around, no wind, no other noise...

Jamie,
Quote:
What about DIOTS?

When I wrote the above I hadn't had diots for lunch, of course wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, How's the weather today?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Supposed to be cloudy/light snow but blue skies at moment, extremely cold, well below zero. Escaping for a walk soon, house full of screaming teenage girls right now, can't take that this early on a Sunday morning
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
Supposed to be cloudy/light snow but blue skies at moment, extremely cold, well below zero. Escaping for a walk soon, house full of screaming teenage girls right now, can't take that this early on a Sunday morning

Fundamental difference between French youth and English, my teenager is still in bed! rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All ski club kids, all with a weekend off from skiing for once, used to being up at 6.30 most Saturdays and Sundays so can't sleep after 8am rolling eyes At least they were quiet during Transworld Sport and C4 skiing, but now that's finished they've got boundless energy to expend.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not interested in your flatulence problems! This is what happens when you live down below with the plebs..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weather started to close in from mid-afternoon today, with light snowfall starting early evening, around a couple of inches so far. More in the blog.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, excellent pics and reports (as always) in the last few days - really enjoyed being able to see them and read the blog whilst counting down to our trip this winter. Very much appreciated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, just to second Bungle, on the thanks front.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread is making me quite excited and can't wait for our trip to 2000 next January.

PG if we wanted to take up your kind offer of a ski and a beer whilst out there (fly out 15th Jan for a week and staying at Chalet Altitude) how would we go about getting in touch with you? There are 4 girls in our group, but the 3 men are the most experienced and they may like to have a ski with you.

Also, can anyone recommend some names of gentle blues around 2000 for a couple in our group that haven't skied for a number of years and want to get their ski legs back. Alternatively, how easy is it for them to get to 1800 for the blues there? Can it be done painlessly (i.e. a gondola or chairlift?).

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easy blues @ 2000? take plagnettes and then either plan-vert and edelwiess, or follow plan vert all the way down. nice gentle run.

Alternatively, the transarc goes from the top of plagnettes and you could take that down into 1800. I have skiied down to 1800 from thew top of the transarc, but only once, and it was raining, so I do;nt remember much of it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beverley, for an easy circuit around Arc 2000 take the marmotte piste down to the marmotte chairlift, then up the marmotte chair to link with the plagnette chair to join the plan-verte piste, then the edelweiss piste, then the cascades piste to take you to the Pre St Esprit lift below Arc 1950. The PSE lift takes you back up to Arc 2000.

The easiest way for novice or nervous skiers to get to Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 from 2000 is to take the marmotte and cascades pistes down to the comborciere lift. This takes you up to the top of the belvedere piste which is a gentle blue which runs across the ridge above 1600 and 1800 (past the Arpette restaurant).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob, did you see this this shot of your place I took last Friday?
latest report
PG, yes I did. In fact, I think that the car next to the poubelle (sp.?) cabin might be mine. I was in the apartment on Friday afternoon because skiing in Tignes was cancelled for the day, so I visited the apartment to drop off my kit and do a bit of washing. I was hoping to pop into your place to say hello on the way back, but the traffic was so slow because of the snow I was running late for evening events in Tignes. If the car in your photo is a Merc A-Class, it was me!
ski holidays
You can see a car?! I can barely see the cabin!
latest report
PG wrote:
You can see a car?! I can barely see the cabin!

I think I can, but I might be talking out of my proverbial!

To the right of the cabin is a small dark shape. I think this can only be a car as there is nothing else there which would be in that location other than a vehicle of some kind. As there was nobody else around when I was there I'm guessing it's my car.
snow report
PG,

I'm out for 4 days 20 - 24th Jan, then a fortnight March 4th - 18th.

Will definitely try to catch up with you - looking to buy new skis and boots this year, and I suspect the valley is a better deal than 1950... wink

Bungle, have you put your dates up on the owners' calendar yet?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, you could be right - blowing up the original high res image, I can vaguely make out something that looks like a saloon pointing probably away from the building towards the cabin (hell haven't I got anything better to do?! Very Happy )

JimW, do you already know what skis you intend buying?...
snow report
You guys and gals have made me so happy. The snow has arrived!!! Me and SO are over for my b-day (my 30th on the 21st of Dec Embarassed Shocked) and Christmas. We're at 2000 - any good bars in the area? I may have Shh on my forehead, this doesn't mean I'm asking anyone to be quiet, this just means I'll be a happy but slightly slurring snowhead. snowHead

It'd be great to meet up with any of you fine people out there.
latest report
nbt and rob thanks for the advicse on the blues. Have printed off and will take with me.

Wish I could find a better piste map than the vague one on the web. Will just have to be patient and wait until I'm there!
ski holidays
I;ve downloaded some excellent ones on the web - hang on

this page has links to some very hig resolution maps

http://www.lesarcs.com/Ski-map.html
snow conditions
PG,
Quote:
JimW, do you already know what skis you intend buying?...

At the moment, its between the 2005/6 Rossi B2 's (yawn, I know...) and the Stormrider XL s - but you are talking an extra £140 in the UK (with bindings) for the latter, so I'd like to see if I am good enough to get that kind of value-add from the extra spend , hopefully by giving them both a go first.

Of course if there are places in BSM that reduce the difference significantly, then we may be talking a harder choice...

Or possibly the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel if I don't get on with either of the first two.
snow report
JimW, 2005 & 2006 B2s are not the same. The 2006 model is significantly wider under the foot. Try some Scott P3 for 60/40 piste or Scott Aztec for 60/40 off piste - great skis and much more responsive than the B2s.
ski holidays
I'm compiling a list of handy links mainly for Bourg St Maurice and Les Arcs at the moment, but I want to include La Plagne, La Ros, Ste Foy next.

Any sites that anyone's come across that could be useful for the above resorts please let me know...

List here...
snow report
Webcam at the Arpette restaurant looking down in Arc 1800
http://www.lesarcsnet.com/webcams/jpg/arc1_big.jpg
snow conditions
easiski,

Thanks for that - I'll certainly have a look at the Scott, and seems like of the two, the P3 are a better match to my skiing intent. Its not a name that come up often when searching the UK resellers. are they the same company as make the goggles? (ignorance abounds...)

Didn't mean to confuse anyone re "05/06" on the B2s , what I meant was the 05/06 season, rather than the 04/05. i.e. the second iteration, fatter, more responsive (according to press releases) lot.

Do Scott have a 2005 and a 2006 version of the P3?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A skier at Peisey this morning!
http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-tarentaise&detail=peisey&big=43
snow report
A skier at Peisey this morning!
http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-tarentaise&detail=peisey&big=43
snow conditions
Damn, missed him!
snow report
peter markham, looks nice and they've had the piste bashers out. That is some way above Peisey village in altitude. Not sure how good it will be at the bottom. And for those who don't know the area, the buildings in the trees near the top centre of the shot is the Montchavin sector of La Plagne. Promising start to the snow cover.
ski holidays
Does bashing (pisteing)the snow make it last longer ?
ski holidays
Yes. Stops it blowing away. Compacts it (squeezes out air which might warm up if the weather changes) and generally helps build up the pack. If the bashers are out it also means there is enough snow for them to work with. They need a minimum depth otherwise they just chew up the vegetation underneath. So bashing of pisted areas is generally a good thing at this time of year.
ski holidays
I'm getting really excited now........... keep those updates coming. They're really appreciated
latest report
[/b]nbt These maps are super, thanks.

Although we have a small bar within our chalet building (Altitude), is there a 'happening' bar in 2000? I've heard its pretty quiet. What are the mountain restaurants like?
Thanks
snow report
Flying Squirrel is glad to hear his bacon sarnies are more famous than his squirrel outfit!
No more snow just yet, but veeerrrrryyyyy coooooollllllld so it should be with us for a while.
ski holidays
not sure on the evening front I must admit - I've only skiied there at EOSB2005 and we stayed down in Bourg St Maurice.
snow conditions
JimW, Yes - 2 different skis. the 2006 version is fatter for both the Aztec and the P3. Yes, the same company, they've been making skis for about 10 years I think. Really good quality but not the cheapest. I like last year's Aztec best personally - excellent all round ski.

PG, Super info and pix

peter markham, Looks pretty good! Very Happy
ski holidays
JImW, I skied the B2 this season in Oz, they weren't my choice but I was given a pair(a long sad story) as replacement.
I thought they were terrific. They are great all round performers and the most comfortable ski's I've tried, their weakness is short turns and moguls. The extra width is great for moving on and off piste. I am bringing them to France this winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy