Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
PG, thanks for the report. I'll be out on Thursday, so hoping that the snow holds up well with current low temps.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are the pics and yesterday's report - in the blog. Just going up to Arc 2000, then down to check out the Villaroger side. La Plagne tomorrow, if things work out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, Excellent set of pics, I have never seen the resort that quiet, what luxury. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks PG - much appreciated

30 days and counting.............
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the update PG. I am arriving on 30th for my annual new year visit to Vallandry and hoping not to spend the week dodging rocks like last year. Especially as I have a new board! Lets hope it will be like this

http://www.fridgemiller.co.uk/Pages/Video_Boys_Tour_2004_Part1.htm

the first part is taken under the 69 (Plan Bois) lift.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the update PG. I am arriving on 30th for my annual new year visit to Vallandry and hoping not to spend the week dodging rocks like last year. Especially as I have a new board! Lets hope it will be like this

http://www.fridgemiller.co.uk/Pages/Video_Boys_Tour_2004_Part1.htm

the first part is taken under the 69 (Plan Bois) lift.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fridge, heard there's snow forecast from this weekend... here's hoping. Can't check out the video right now, still no broadband Sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If you're in Vallandry make sure you visit snowHead Will's bar at Plan Peisey, the Flying Squirrel!

Didn't get over that way today, was up in the 2000 bowl and down at Villaroger... report/photos later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG,
Club Med....are you referring to the existing one at Les Arcs2000 or is this a new one? I was there about 8yrs ago, very grotty!
might go back if they have refurbished it. I think for skiing they are pretty good value as it includes everything, even ski lessons/guiding and the lift pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowman, it's the brand-new Club Med at Peisey Vallandry, opened just last Saturday. No idea what it's like, last time I stayed in a Club Med it was nearly 20 years back in Marrakesh Smile ... think they still use the coloured tokens?

So here's the account plus pics from today's trip to Arc 2000 and Villaroger, in the blog...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Great set of pics, and your narrative really gives us an idea of what's going on. I'm surprised to see that the run to Villaroger is looking so good. I have skied it in far worse conditions...day after day! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found a great deal going out to Les Arcs2000 on 8th Jan but given PG's very helpful snow review I am reluctant to book it now. Looking to ski off piste and do not fancy hitting rocks so perhaps I wait for better snow cover.

On a different note can anyone recommend a good off piste guiding operation in Les Arcs, one that allows skiers to join a similar ability group for half or full day.

Thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowman ,

I'm based over at 1950, and the guys there have always been excellent for us - www.Spirit1950.com
(btw, we're not expert, carry-a-transceiver-&-shovel-at-all-times kind of free-riders, just people who like the occasional challenge of more than a groomer every now and then)

For what we've done, the first test is a swift decent down the blacks from the Varet, and they assess the group abillity based on what they see there (they have occasionally turned people away - although usually at this point, people instinctively know if they are out of their depth and often volunteer to try another day/group if they feel they are way off the form).
The leader then chooses the off-piste from those available according to what they have seen performance-wise at this point. They do both full and 1/2 days.

I am told that the guys at 1800, Arc Adventures are also pretty good ( http://www.arc.adventures@wanadoo.fr ) , have been established longer, and are possibly cheaper, but have never tried them personally.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowman, just as a bit more info to the excellent stuff from Jim, the price on the Spirit 1950 web site for a full day "off piste ride" with a minimum group size of 4 and maximum of 7 was €80 - this was probably last years price but doubt it will be too much different this year. Contact details are on the web site but I must admit I am having some difficulty getting a response to my e-mails at the moment.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Struck me as pretty efficient on the admin side, although there's a new girl behind the desk this week that seemed a little out of her depth. Other one I vaguely knew from nearly three years back from a couple of visits to the Foncia estate agents, immediately remembered my name as I walked in, impressive.

Vincent himself comes across as very customer-oriented, we differed slightly on what the average Brit customer is looking for at a French ski school - he believes there's a preference for a local instructor with very good English and local knowledge of customs and mountains, as opposed to the Brit instructor with perhaps slightly less awareness of the last two. He definitely agreed that old-style ESF teaching methods were less appropriate for foreign visitors spending a limited time in the mountains each year, and that the French still had something to learn in that respect from some of the private British and other independent schools.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, always has been for very efficient for me before although the admin for our trip in April consisted of us agreeing a time for a beer or two in the Belles Pintes on our arrival day to sort out lessons for the week!!.

I strongly second your comments about Vincent - I really like him and have a lot of time for what he's trying to achieve there. We've had private and/or group lessons from Lionel, Jean Paul, Olivier and Alex and an hours free skiing (with a bit of instruction) from Vincent for the wife and I and two kids and have been very happy with all the instructors at Spirit.

BTW, good to see your recent posting average back up as well - blogs, reports and pics very much appreciated.
ski holidays
Ventured up to 2000 today but didn't stay for long. Stones becoming a big problem on a majority of the pistes. Coming back over the top from 2000 towards 1800 as well. Cachette at 1600 was in excellent condition still - really is advisable to stick to the runs with artificial cover until will get another dump. Not much forecast for a couple of days, unfortunately...
latest report
Thanks eveyone for the guiding advice.
snow report
PG PG, I will certainly be stopping by the Flying Squirrel as I have known Will for a couple of years. No doubt I will see him in the early hours of New year's Day, when he turns up at the Mont Blanc looking overheated in his squirrel suit!
snow conditions
Much colder today in Les Arcs than it has been recently. Currently -12 at resort level, and forecast to be colder for the next two or three days. Snow cover is getting pretty thin on piste, with frequent stones in areas of high traffic. Quite icy on most pistes, although areas with snow cannons are not too bad. A light dusting of snow is forecast over the next 36 hours, then a moderate-heavy snowfall around New Year. After several days of perfect blue skies the cloud has come in, and there is a very fine frozen drizzle in the air.
snow report
The fine drizzle of earlier today has turned into light snow. Not much is accumulating, just a millimetre or two, but at least it's snowing!
snow conditions
Woooop!

Put the big order in for next week Rob, please!
snow conditions
We had a little bit of snow yesterday evening, perhaps four or five centimetres at resort level, enough to whiten the trees and perhaps freshen the pistes a little. This morning is cold (-15) and sunny. The current GFS forecast is for approximately 30cm of snow over the next six days, with the heaviest snowfall on the 31st and 1st.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, good news. Very windy down in BSM, no more than a few mm fell here! I've seen similar forecasts but they show snow for today, and at the moment not a cloud in the sky! Let's hope there's a rapid change soon. After my last outing on Saturday 24th and encounters with rocks all over the domain except at 1600, I haven't bothered getting up there since. Any damage to skis Rob?
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Any damage to skis Rob?

Sad
Spent some time yesterday sorting out edges, filling gouges in the base, then waxing. Nothing too serious, and I was quite pleased with the result (first time I've used a gas gun rather than ptex candles - it's a much better result).

It's still cold up here (-12 according to my thermometer) so we've stopped for an early lunch and to warm up before heading out again. Last night's dusting of snow has helped on some pistes, but it is getting swept off others fairly quickly. We didn't have any wind last night at Arc 1800, although 1950/2000 didn't seem to receive as much snow as we did (it's all relative of course, as not that much fell anywhere).
snow report
3 weeks to go before my first visit - sounds like we are needful of a major dump. Well, we and most of the region by the looks of it.

And it was all so hopeful in November - what happened to all that optimistic white stuff? Puzzled
snow conditions
JimW, just wasn't enough, there was no base to speak of at altitude and the snow we had - and it was thigh deep at 1600 on the Cachette - compacted down to not much at all. Away from the sheltered areas high winds removed a lot; it was mostly that very fine powder that without warmer temps is easily blown away... and temperatures have remained very low indeed, at 800m in Bourg the snow has barely melted at all.

Still the first grey skies for a while at the moment, anything would be welcome!
latest report
Three of the webcams back up and running, at last. Few cms overnight, not a lot, certainly not enough to make much of a difference. Overcast at the moment, poor visibility, hopefully some more on the way...
snow report
PG, the different forecast models seem to be coming into line for a decent amount of snow over New Year, with GFS (which seems to overestimate snow fall a bit) saying up to 45cms.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belated blog update for Christmas Eve, will head up for a gentle cruise around the domain either this afternoon or tomorrow early. Hope it's slightly better than the 24th... but I doubt it. Here's hoping that the projected New Year snowfall will materialise... rob@rar.org.uk, fancy heading over to the Cachette tomorrow morning?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, "Up to 45cms..." GOODY! GOODY! I arrive on Jan 5th Very Happy snowHead
snow report
PG wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, fancy heading over to the Cachette tomorrow morning?

Yes, if I can defrost from today's skiing that would be good! Jane wants a lie in tomorrow so I'm happy to meet up.

It was bitterly cold today. Currently -15 at resort level, where it feels quite balmy compared to up top. Skied mainly down to Peisey this afternoon, where at least the trees helped with the visibility. Fortunately not much wind, otherwise the temperatures wouyld have been life-threatening!

Bernard Condon always take the GFS forecasts with a pinch of salt, as they tend to over-estimate snowfall amounts (I think it is the data set that snowforecast.com use). The current GFS run says 35-40com between 30 Dec and 4 Jan.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, Still GOODY! GOODY! Very Happy
ski holidays
Bernard Condon wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Still GOODY! GOODY! Very Happy

Indeed Wink

I'm hoping to be back out on the 6th, so any snowfall will be welcome.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, howsabout 10am at the Arpette?? Want to try out the new DX2 so with what feels like 10kgs of gear in the rucksack, I'll be taking it a bit easy tomorrow...
latest report
PG, OK, sounds good. See you at the Arpette.
latest report
Back to normal now with the webcams of Les Arcs and surrounding area, after a 'minor technical hitch'...
snow report
New Year's Eve blog
ski holidays
PG, Great conditions, and well done on getting some reasonable pictures after the exposure probs. All part of the learning experience wink Very Happy
latest report
Fantastic to see that new snow - 3 weeks till I'm up there snowHead
latest report
PG great pic

i am back now let's try and have a ski and a beer
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy