Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The new ski control / RaxSki

Poster: A snowHead
Will we see you at ISPO?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flangesax wrote:
Tom from Austria, send me a selection of your Rax's and I'll pimp them to my guests...
i.e. give me free stuff that I can help promote.

You are welcome, flangesax. Where are you located in Ski-Amade ?
We are quite often in your area.

This year, we are not exhibiting at ISPO, for it`s quite expensive.
In last years we enjoyed the support of the Austrian Chamber of Commerce as a start-up company.
Yeah, RaxSki is no longer a child but not yet an adult company. We have to grow ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in Radstadt; follow the link in my sig for any contact details...
Would like to give them a go and often have a lot of interested peeps who use this forum staying somewhere around here.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://vimeo.com/m/29690881
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom from Austria, your skis seem to be very similar to the american Scorpion mini ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom from Austria wrote:
geoffers wrote:
...just as an evidence of my accusation above

Look at the angle of the ski pole straps for the truth folks..... Tom is clearly way too pure to adulterate the message of the RAX.

Not for me though, Quiver already way too extended.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mishmash wrote:
Look at the angle of the ski pole straps for the truth folks.....

I guess UN or EC should send a commission to cartograph the site.
The funny thing about the whole discussion is that I have never claimed the steepnes of this slope Laughing
But the slope IS steep, its name is "Hotel Ries" = the hotel couloir on the top of Schneeberg in Rax area.
You can dive in this chute straight away from the hotel terrace...

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meandrew wrote:
Tom from Austria, your skis seem to be very similar to the american Scorpion mini ski.

Do you mean "Skateslider Miniski for Skates" ?
Well this snowblade is lacking any rear fins, the substantial component of the Rax invention
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax wrote:
I'm in Radstadt; follow the link in my sig for any contact details...
Would like to give them a go and often have a lot of interested peeps who use this forum staying somewhere around here.

Looking forward to meet you, flangesax!
Hey, we`ve just posted a new video "Her first day on Rax" this evening

http://youtube.com/v/tTx2wzRPjIs

The whole story:
On a rainy day in January I addressed a young couple on the piste and let these young Austrians try new Rax models. At the very moment he and she started very first ride on Rax skis my expectation was bellow freezing point. This is where the video starts...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 18-01-14 21:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes the Schneeberg couloirs aren't really a blue run.
In pics they look steep, in the flesh they are steeper.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Yes the Schneeberg couloirs aren't really a blue run.

A charming photo, DB!
Looks like the fresh snow mid of December. No tracks , no avalanches as the snow layer is still quite thin.

The cover picture of our website www.raxski.com was taken on the "Ostflanke" mid of May

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Meije / La Grave in April 2014

La Meije (3983m) has a feminine name - just like "die Rax".

Both can love you or kill you. The best Austrian mountaineer lost his life 120 years ago and was burried 2500m deeper in La Grave!

http://youtube.com/v/GnkMi_wyMEE

If you cross the glacier you can shred scores of black and red pistes to Les 2 Alpes and dine in one of hundred restaurants there.[/img]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom from Austria wrote:
The best Austrian mountaineer lost his life 120 years ago and was burried 2500m deeper in La Grave!

Emil Zsigmondy? The best at the time you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Austrian_mountain_climbers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

Emil Zsigmondy? The best at the time you mean?

Yes, DB, it`s him. He died at the age of 24 years in 1885
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Zsigmondy.

Are you still in Vienna, DB?
Let me present a video from our home-mountain, the Rax Alpe

Rax Ski riding the Rax Alpe, April 2014

http://youtube.com/v/9lcpzO4NThA
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A NEW VIDEO shows some challenging couloirs in Eastern Austria with the best April snow

The Couloir of Rolling Stones

http://youtube.com/v/iLrDiWYz5fA
snow report
Tom, love your enthusiasm for you product but do you not think that after all the years developing, testing, posting pretty pictures of the blade runner ski if we thought they were a good product, or the wider market thought they were a good product they would be in the shops, on the market and you would be a millionaire by now?
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Tom, love your enthusiasm for you product but do you not think that after all the years developing, testing, posting pretty pictures of the blade runner ski if we thought they were a good product, or the wider market thought they were a good product they would be in the shops, on the market and you would be a millionaire by now?

Well, the ski with rear fins and wings is the first ski which differs from a stereotyp ruling the downhill skiing since 1900.
Many good skiers consider Rax Ski a sacrilege and an attempt to degrade their sport. It is as if somebody would bring a rifle in an archer club!

Yeah, we are not in the situation that millions of skiers would have tried Rax and then decided that this gear made no improvement to their skiing skills.
Let me suppose that you yourself are no exception. Yet few thousands skiers worldwide have tried the RaxSki and found that
- short turns are very easy
- ski is safe on steep black runs and lets you ride off-piste (maybe the first time in your life)
- RaxSki turns without skidding and so makes no moguls
- it needs just a strip of snow as narrow as few meters
- ski does not require perfectly groomed runs

Just have a look at the last descent in the video "La Meije°. It`s really a non-profi guy riding down the mogulled black run "Diable" in the fall-line at late afternoon!
Rear fins are simply carving through soft moguls and tracks, so stabilizing the ski in the direction much better than any ski edge could do.
It`s the same effect as rear fins with a wind surfer. So are conventional skis like surfboards without fins Laughing

On the other hand RaxSki has no advantage for skier executing hundreds turns with the same radius on a groomed piste in the morning.
It is even slower than conventional ski on flat pistes and very bad for riding "fackie".

Summary: it was our fault that we haven`t invested millions in marketing. On the other hand, if billions people needed the ski every day
(as they use cars and mobile phones), the distinct features of RaxSki would beat conventional ski even without extensive marketing.

Oh, last but not least: it was never my goal to become a millionaire. In fact I do not like such people.
snow conditions
I must admit that I am warming to Tom; in that he may be producing the ultimate rock-hopper shoite ski . . . Though to be honest his best marketing plan would be to sell a kit for us to fit to the crappy old skis we're about to toss into the dumpster.
snow report
Masque wrote:
I must admit that I am warming to Tom; in that he may be producing the ultimate rock-hopper shoite ski . . . Though to be honest his best marketing plan would be to sell a kit for us to fit to the crappy old skis we're about to toss into the dumpster.

Do not laugh, Masque, but marketing such a kit was one of our options 5 years ago!
But reasonable people convinced us not to do that. For two reasons: cutting off ski tails is not everybody´s darling.
And ....loose Rax kits rollng on piste would not be the best advertisement for us!
The last argument against the kit was that we found manufacturers in CZ making really low-priced Rax skis.
snow report
It is an interesting concept, and I may get round to trying them one day --- EoSB ski test? (That was last week - Admin is the one to contact about next year...or indoor UK ski tests in Octoberish

It does look a bit like 'point and shoot' down the fall line though - too many people would just scream down the mountain mostly out of control - the end few seconds of your vis 'ski freeride la meije' above worried me with the Raxer coming close to those boarders.

I think I come from a more traditional 'elegant' skiing style - smooth balanced rhythmical turns - none of this random zipping about like a fly. (Bladers look like flies too)

Also...I mostly don't want my skiing to be easy. I like to be challenged - I get satisfaction from linking smooth rounded turns on a green run (on GS skis or off piste monsters) as much as plotting a good route down a couloir and making confident stable turns.

What are RaxSkis like in deeper snow - (Ok I know they may not be designed for that, but there is always a bit somewhere) - and I wouldn't like to get cought out in a tricky off piste patch miles from home.

Also - stopping power - like a hockey stop - do the fins+short tails+stickyout tips cause problems ?

Keep innovating!
snow report
lampbus wrote:
It is an interesting concept, and I may get round to trying them one day --- EoSB ski test? (That was last week - Admin is the one to contact about next year...or indoor UK ski tests in Octoberish

I'm sure some sHs would be willing to try them during a SHs Bash ski test. However, as regards indoor UK ski tests I think there may be a couple of problems. Firstly the draglifts at most indoor domes take the skier uphill with their skis sliding on a plastic base with a relatively thin covering of the artificial snow (you sometimes even see bare patches of plastic), I'm guessing the fins might do a fair bit of damage to the plastic base. Secondly I'm not sure how deep the artificial snow layer on the slope is before you get to the insulating substrate and buried refrigeration pipes, the snowdome management might take a dim view of anyone trying to use Raxskis because of this.
snow conditions
I often think that Tom would be better off calling it purely raxing not skiing and that any similarity to a conventional ski is purely coincidental. The action seems different, the kit seems significantly different. It could just be another way of getting down a slope.
ski holidays
Think I saw someone on a pair of these in Glencoe last week, didn't look to be any better or worse way of getting round the mountain than anyone else was using.
snow report
lampbus wrote:
It is an interesting concept, and I may get round to trying them one day --- EoSB ski test?

...traditional 'elegant' skiing style ...
What are RaxSkis like in deeper snow - ...
Keep innovating!

"EoSB ski test?" .... why not, it`s excellent opportrunity for us

"traditional 'elegant' skiing style ?" ... your choice, rear fins raise no hindrance to classics.
We just do not show this style as it is the same as with any conventional ski.

"RaxSkis in deeper snow ?"

http://youtube.com/v/B-0Thb0xN8c

http://youtube.com/v/DnbXpbtppm8
snow conditions
I'm a big fan of playing around with the way we skiand the kit we use, but I'm not sold yet.

Is there a break down anywhere of how one uses these? It looks like if you lean back then you'll sit down, or in powder you have to lean back meaning you are constantly on the quads? (like in the last film)

Are they more like a big foot type technique or do these fins offer some braking to support you. tail support seems like a requirement if they are for bad, steep stuff?
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
I'm a big fan of playing around with the way we skiand the kit we use, but I'm not sold yet.

Is there a break down anywhere of how one uses these? It looks like if you lean back then you'll sit down, or in powder you have to lean back meaning you are constantly on the quads? (like in the last film)

Are they more like a big foot type technique or do these fins offer some braking to support you. tail support seems like a requirement if they are for bad, steep stuff?

"if you lean back then you'll sit down ?" No, the more you lift the ski tips, the more will rear fins break and slow down the ski. That is how body gets up. This effect can be explained by simple mechanics. The higher your speed, the less danger you lose the balance and fall back. "Not falling back" is the crucial aspect of this ski invention. Of course snow slides (like the one in our video) and avalanches can completely destroy your balance.

"like a big foot type technique ?" Not really. Only easy turning is typical for both big foot and Rax but big foot got no fins. This short ski has no sufficient tracking.

"do these fins offer some braking to support you ?" Yes, it`s like fins on surf board. Consequently, all conventional skis are like surfers without rear fins. Laughing

"steep stuff?" Yes, most Rax skis love steeps. Flat groomers are just boring
snow conditions
lampbus wrote:
It is an interesting concept..
...I mostly don't want my skiing to be easy. I like to be challenged - I get satisfaction from linking smooth rounded turns
--- as much as plotting a good route down a couloir
....Keep innovating!

Yeah, Lampbus, with Rax skis you will automatically be challenged in an unexpected way.
What about smooth rounded turns with a Rax ice skates on a groomer ?

http://youtube.com/v/YwD7d0U2k6U

Or plotting a good route down a couloir in the city ?

http://youtube.com/v/sKeu_xWMvLI
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy