Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December Ski and Board

Poster: A snowHead
Ski and board came yesterday, How many Snowheads are featured this Month? I have a feeling at least one letter is from a Snowhead,
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a regular correspondence going on between two snowHeads at the moment in alternate issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it's conceivable that the editor, A. Wilson, is A. snowHead. Having known Arnie for about 20 years, and had a huge number of laughs with him (he can be a seriously funny man), it would be nice to feel that he enjoys the warm glow of snowHeads occasionally!

Alternatively, the warm snow of glowHeads.

When I see him next week I won't ask him if he's A. snowHead, as it's his right to pursue a life of innocence and abstinence should he choose.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, I think Kramer just answered my question wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the pro- and anti-alcohol medics' letters have been noted. It's not quite clear whether one of them, John Barcroft, actually feels that skiers should drink no beer at all at lunchtime, which would be quite harsh.

That's not to say that there isn't an issue about excess consumption of booze on mountains.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll have to buy the mag........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, - but didn't you demand to know MY true identity a few months ago ? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah yes you've got him there Scrumpy!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's fair to request ID if a personal attack is being worked up by a pseudonym against a named person, isn't it?

That certainly doesn't apply in Arnie Wilson's case. By 'A. snowHead' I was referring to any pen-name anyone might care to use, which is their right.

Though real names are always welcome - we're not discussing nuclear secrets here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, don't remember scrumpy attacking anyone.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Tim
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, if A. Wilson is A. Snowhead he's either so infrequent a visitor as to hardly notice, or he's a consummate actor. In conversation with JonPim and me after the AGM he not only appeared to know nothing about the EOSBs and PSB, but also seemed completely unaware of the concept, and quite surprised to hear of the existence of other organisations where virtual strangers club together to go on skiing holidays Wink Very Happy Laughing .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim and Scrumpy. You know that's not correct. A direct personal attack was levelled against Snowball, who used to disclose his real name in his snowHeads signature, and has now virtually disappeared from this forum.

GrahamN, that may or may not be true but I doubt if Arnie's job description extends to reading snowHeads! We're a community of 3000, out of a British ski population of 1.2 million, which may or may not be signficant to the editor of a national ski magazine.

I'd agree with you on a general level that the upper echelons of the SCGB would be wise to know what happens here - since we're (to some extent) a renegade community of the Ski Club - but you're being a bit personal to someone who may not wish to register under their name at snowHeads for obviousl reasons.

The general point I'm making is that personal attacks from pseudonyms are particularly unpleasant, IMHO. If people have reasons for adopting pseudonyms for reasons other than launching personal attacks, that's fine as far as I'm concerned.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Abominable Goldsmith (or other pseudonym as appropriate). You've completely missed the (simple) point I was making - which was that if he were a visitor I would think it fairly unlikely that he would not have even heard of the EOSBs/PSB. Of course Arnie should not be expected to know what's going on here - and I attach no criticism or approval whatever to that position - but I agree with your point (not one made by me) that it may be a good thing from the point of general awareness (and as a group it would seem journalists generally want to know a little about just about everything). Actually it may be in his job description to NOT trawl the pearls of wisdom to be found here - given that SCGB staff are mostly banned from even contributing to their own forum.

Of course if I were "a seriously funny man", I may well have thought it a jolly jape to wind up a couple of snowHead and play the ingenue Wink .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Right Honorable GrahamN, the Ski Club of Great Britain is - under its very commercial agenda - no longer accountable to its members (or British skiers) in the same way that it once was. It is now accountable to its commercial partners: resorts, tour operators, retailers, and its own in-house commercial activities.

I believe this is to the detriment of the Club and its members, but we'll have to see how things pan out.

In theory, websites or other popular communities will take over the 'popular vote' of British skiers - so, in essence, I agree that ski journalists and editors are well-advised to mix with the masses.
snow report
[quote="The Abominable snowHead"]Tim and Scrumpy. You know that's not correct. A direct personal attack was levelled against Snowball, who used to disclose his real name in his snowHeads signature, and has now virtually disappeared from this forum.

[/quote]

Don't remember that. Do you have a link to the bit where scrumpy attacked snowball?
latest report
Tim Brown, here's the thread concerned:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Check page 4, in particular:
Quote:
Scrumpy
user
Good heavens - what fun - the Ski Club forum arguments that upset one or two people recently had nothing on this lot !

And much of it started off by Snowball having a memory like the proverbial elephant ! Seems to me he's more upset with himself for not taking appropriate action at the time -Surely the holiday was the only time that the problem could have been dealt with to the satisfaction of all parties - with a complaint to the holidays department if the situation had not been changed by the Rep and guides.

IMHO Snowball should have "self censored" by realising that no good can come from dredging up the past in this manner - He comes out of it at least as badly as the couple he is whingeing about.
On- on Thu Jul 28, 05 8:55

As I say, we haven't heard much from Snowball since that time. Is it any wonder?
snow report
Very weak Abominable, very weak. Speudonyms are fine then as long as the user doesn't get into heated debate with another poster. Hmm... talk about making the rules up as you go along.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, the above is not a personal attack.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, btw, he is more than likely still here but posting under a 'speudonym'.
latest report
I'm beginning to wonder who's the ventriloquist and who's the dummy/scrumpy.

Maybe it's time for the Ski Club of Great Ventriloquists (SCGV)
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, As I have never met Tim Brown and do not know who Beck Daross is - (nor The Abominable Snowman, Snowball etc. come to that) - I don't know what you are getting at.

The Abominable snowHead,
In my own defence, I do not think that to comment that someone who brings up a grudge that was over 10 years old as if it still had current relevance "[has] a mind like the proverbial elephant" etc. was a personal attack - it was merely my view that this should have been dealt with at the time and not stored up for so long. I actually spoke from personal experience - I had had a very nasty experience on holiday once - so stressful that my hair thinned drastically soon after - and would still be telling people the details of it today if I hadn't complained to the relevant people and dealt with it there and then - the appropriate time !
ski holidays
You're entitled to that opinion. As a fellow member of the Ski Club I thought Snowball's allegation about a senior officer of the Club serious enough to ask the officer concerned to comment. Snowball felt the experience had negatively affected his holiday.

You chose to attack Snowball (whose true name is known to us) from the cover of a pseudonym, which I thought was inappropriate. It was the last sentence of your posting, quoted above, that seemed hurtful to a fellow member of this community.
snow report
Tim Brown,

"Do you have a link to the bit where scrumpy attacked snowball?"

can I post this little gem on the other forum?!! Little Angel
snow report
Sounds like two kittens having a furball. snowHead
snow report
David Goldsmith, the comments related to 10 years earlier - my last sentence stands - people that can't deal with something at the time shouldn't whine on about it so much later. It was a private and personal holiday complaint and why you should have felt any need to follow it up so much later defies belief.
Also - the comment re "self censorship" was made, not just off the top of my head but because the original posting had been censored.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 10-12-05 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes, Scrumpy, I think we get the message. In time you'll discover a couple of contextual issues that made Snowball's complaint perfectly topical ...

... in the meantime, Merry Christmas to you and any fellow anonymous apples.
latest report
David Goldsmith, I'm staggered by the total and utter hypocrisy which you display so unashamedly both here and on the SCGB site!
I think it was rather foolish of snowball to place such an old complained into the public domain. More so because it was based on hearsay.
But as you seem to have questioned the accused, maybe you would like to tell use if you were happy with what he said?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone getting that feeling of deja-vu?
ski holidays
Tim Brown, Fred Irish has elected not to comment on Snowball's allegation.

Whether Snowball was right to put the comments in the public domain depends partly on how one interprets the Ski Club's role as "an independent spokesbody for British recreational skiers" (1995 mission statement).

If the Club adopts a role as a representative body of British skiers then its officers operate in the public interest, as well as the private interests of a members' club.

That doesn't mean that I necessarily endorse Snowball's action in raising the matter on a public forum, but people in authority obviously have to behave as they would expect those beneath them to behave, don't they?

Snowball's allegation was not based on hearsay - it was his direct observation, as I understood it.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, yes ... <nods off>
snow report
Nice to see a benign four-letter word preceding the word "off".
snow report
Oh, so that's why you're determined to push this 'spokesbody for British recreational skiers' line.
ski holidays
Who plucked Bungle's Twanger? My suspects include Snowball, Scrumpy and Frost. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
petermillar, Welcome to Snowheads Peter - nice to se you've come across from SCGB to visit snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks Hib - who on earth are you? Puzzled Puzzled
I love the little pictures over here Toofy Grin
But it's annoying that everyone has these silly names so you don't know if they're one of the posters over there (risk of getting caught out cracking the same jokes Embarassed )

And : why don't I have permission to view your photo gallery? Is it adults only?
snow conditions
petermillar, you need to register for snowMedia separately - conventionally people use the same login on snowMedia as they do for snowHeads.

(I don't think my names silly wink )
latest report
Thanks Ian - and yes, your name's fine! I will do the registering stuff ... Idea
ski holidays
petermillar, I like my silly name Toofy Grin
As for the photo gallery - adults? This lot? wink Laughing
Hey, they've even let me in snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
petermillar wrote:
Thanks Hib - who on earth are you? Puzzled Puzzled

clue - bean counters wink

Just noticed - neither can I get into my gallery, will sort it vout when I have some time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy