Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Peisey (Reports from Les Arcs, Paradiski and surrounding areas)

Poster: A snowHead
landlockedpirate wrote:
Hi, what height is your picture taken at ? Cheers

About 1300m.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ArseCaptain wrote:
landlockedpirate wrote:
Hi, what height is your picture taken at ? Cheers

About 1300m.

Cheers, lots of weather sites giving rain below 2000m, so this is good news Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent info ArseCaptain, coming out to LA 25th Jan for fifth visit, what is the snow like on the run down to the Vanoise Express ? cheers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
willie5094 wrote:
Excellent info ArseCaptain, coming out to LA 25th Jan for fifth visit, what is the snow like on the run down to the Vanoise Express ? cheers.

It's OK, getting better, but probably not a run you'd take out of choice as the snow higher up is much better. Hopefully once the crowds go and some more snow arrives it'll be improved.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ArseCaptain, watching this thread with interest and a season is something i will be doing when i retire..hopefully sooner rather than later Very Happy . at the height you are it would be great to get an update each day (if poss)to what snow has fallen and what expected - higher up on the slopes should be better!! ......so many web sites give different forecast and they all seem to be rubbish.... enjoy your next few months and thesis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MogulMonkey, I will venture outside with my measuring stick when it snows in Peisey, but comparing it to the forecast snow might be a bit difficult as there can be some volatility in the predictions. We ended up with about 8cm in Peisey today, but towards the end of the snowfall it was melting as fast as it was falling.

2nd January - part 2

we did a few laps of Derby lift this afternoon from around 12pm. The lift queues were remarkably reduced compared to earlier in the week. There was around 10-15cm of fresh snow which in many places was on top of well defined moguls on the easily accessible off-piste. Good for a play in the trees but still a little tricky as it was quite hard underneath. Today was also the first time this winter I've noticed the wind!

Not really a day for taking photos, but here's a cursory one:

2nd Janurary by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friday 3rd January
It has been snowing off and on today, starting at about 10:30am, with a brief sunshine break around 2pm. It is now back to snow, hopefully set to continue into the weekend. It seems the snow line has been hovering around Peisey all day as it is wet / melting very quickly here, but was settling on the roads in Plan Peisey.

We skied for a couple of hours this morning and the snow was much the same as it was yesterday, but the queues were slightly bigger. But this problem should be fixed tomorrow Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The lift queues were remarkably reduced compared to earlier in the week.

This is something I have noticed before with New Year in the middle of the week. Many people go home on New Year's day (I watched them loading the cars in Arc 1600 on Wednesday) to start work on the 2nd. I waited another day. New Year's day itself was pretty quiet compared to the early part of the week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ArseCaptain wrote:
But this problem should be fixed tomorrow Toofy Grin

Just in time for us coming out tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saturday 4th January
Rain. It started around midday and has varied between light and heavy, but mostly light. Within the last hour or so the snow line has become visible on the trees on the cliff that sits opposite our apartment on the La Plagne side of the valley. It is above the Vanoise express, and a rough comparison between looking at the contours of the cliff and those on my map suggests it is at about 1600-1700m. Hopefully it will drop soon!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing quite heavily in plan Peisey since we arrived at 3:30pm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunday 5th January
Ahh what a difference from last week. There was around 3cm of snow overnight in Peisey, about twice that in Plan Peisey and around 10-15cm higher up. Hardly a mega-dump but when combined with a stark reduction in the number of skiers it made for a very enjoyable day. The pistes were great, groomed with a generous dusting on top, and the only queue we had was for the transarc which only took a couple of minutes. The offpiste is getting much better as well, only hit one rock today Very Happy. Best of all, there was no mad rush like last week that saw all the easily accessible snow tracked out by 10am.

5th January - Quiet again by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
has anyone ever seen ArseCaptain and 123_456 in the same room at the same time Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, I suppose you're referring to the format of the images and titles? it's a standard output copy and pasted from flickr Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There hasn't been much to update about the last few days. It has been warm, and much of the snow around Peisley has melted away. The pistes are doing ok, apart from a few brown patches on the lower slopes.

I haven't bothered taking my camera out with me this week, so you'll have to imagine Les Arcs in spring and cope with crappy phone pictures.

Thursday 9th January
I started a speed riding course and took a few photos. There had been a few avalanches below Aguille Rouge, one of which is visible in this picture:

image by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

We were practising glider handling sitting on the ground, with the moderate wind keeping the gliders inflated.

The wind was too strong so we went over to Arcs 1800 and did some flying under Chantel.

Friday 10th January

A very light dusting of new snow above 1900m ish. Maybe 2cm, hardly the big dump we could do with, but enough to make for a few nice turns here and there. Unfortunately it was too windy for flying today, so I had to settle for skiing instead.

The day started off cloudy but cleared up by midday.

snow report
Not much to report about the weekend, still spring like conditions. Sunday was a clear and calm day so I did another speed riding lesson which was fun, apart from a few crashes. I took off from higher up the training slope, about 2 thirds of the way down genepi.

Looks like some snow is finally on its way. Infact, it has just started snowing very lightly here Toofy Grin. Tomorrow will be a day to venture out armed with camera.
snow report
Here's a picture from a few days ago of one of our neighbours:

Mountain Cat #2 by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Tuesday 14th January
The snow has come back again. We had 11cm overnight in Peisey and there was around 20cm over in Arcs 2000. The new snow was fun to play in, but with some very old hard snow lying not far below the surface. Visibility was bad early on but there were occasional breaks in the cloud. The pistes were getting quite bumpy by early afternoon so we called it a day.

14th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

latest report
ArseCaptain,

We are heading to the Hotel La Vanoise' on 1st Feb so getting excited reading your thread. If there is any chance you could let us know what condition the slopes are like on the home run past the hotel (back to the Vanoise Express) about a week or a few days before I would be grateful. We have some skiers that will find it hard if icy or choppy.
snow report
Thursday 16th January
We went to Tignes to meet up with some friends. Parked up in Les Brevieres and skied over. The visibility was poor all day, with some strong winds higher up. I was surprised that the snow seemed to be in a lot worse condition than in Les Arcs, perhaps due to the wind, with many large brown patches and little stones to be found, particularly on the run from the top of Tuffs down to Val Claret.

16th January - Tignes by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

16th January - Tignes by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Friday 17th January
Nipped out this morning to find out what had fallen over night. We had about 4cm in Peisey and not much more higher up. Did a few laps of the Derby lift, some very nice piste conditions before it got cut up.
snow report
Saturday 18th January
Today turned out to be much nicer than I had anticipated. There was plenty of dark clouds about but somehow they were never above us. My mother-in-law is staying with us this weekend and had her first attempt at skiing; a two hour private lesson with the ESF. She got a beginner pass for €17.50 which allowed her to catch the Peisey chair twice and use the drag and rope lifts near the top of it.

18th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

The pistes were deserted with some very nice groomed snow to be found. Ecureuils was especially nice, it was pisted from top to bottom (although the lower half was shut for some reason).

18th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

In the afternoon we hired some snowshoes and went for a little stroll around the top of Peisey chair.

18th January - Snowshoes by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

18th January - Snowshoes by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
snow report
Sunday 19th January
The weather forecast suggested snow overnight but none materialised. Today was much like yesterday; dark clouds but also the odd break revealing blue sky. We walked from Plan Peisey to Nancroix to the nordic centre, which made for an enjoyable two-hour walk.

19th January - Walk to Nancroix by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Later on, after we had returned, a goat paid us a visit.

The forecast for the next day has perked up a bit, looks like we should see a half decent amount of snow fall. Doesn't look like the mega-dump that has eluded us so far this winter, but welcome nonetheless.
snow conditions
Loving your updates. We are in Belle Plagne this week and planning a trip over th Les Arcs on Wednesday. Fingers crossed the forecast snow for tonight and tomorrow arrives.
ski holidays
Monday 20th January
No snow materialised overnight, and we woke to overcast skies and a dry floor. Did some poodling around on the beginner slopes with the mother in law for a couple of hours this morning. The visibility got gradually worse and was getting quite bad by 1pm when we called it a day. It has since started snowing, and whilst wet, is gradually accumulating in Peisey. Hopefully it'll continue into the night Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Tuesday 21st January
We awoke to around 4cm of snow in Peisey. We were in the clouds and I had work to do so I didn't go out.

21st Jan - Gloomy by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Wednesday 22nd January
The sun returned! I had another speed riding lesson, and started from higher up the mountain. It was great fun, got longer in the air as well, and no crashes today.

http://youtube.com/v/wmPLB51S6Zs
ski holidays
Great that you are in peisey - one of the few working villages left in the area. The walks up into the Vanois park from les granges are wonderful - worth going up and staying in the first hut or up to the second. We tried to buy in peisey but it was impossible to find anywhere - shame since to have a boulangerie, a charcuterie and a cheese shop is great in such a small place. Just after we tried to buy, the goatshed came up for sale but we missed that. Is maison rose still going as a chalet? And Madame godin's great little apartments?
latest report
valais2, where is les granges? I can't find it on the map. Is it up the valley from Peisey?

You're right that it is a great village, it is surprising that it has the shops it does considering its size, but I'm not complaining - the meat and bread are great, although I'm yet to try the cheese.

I've not come across maison rose or Madame Godin's apartments, but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Just started snowing in the last 10 minutes Toofy Grin
snow report
Thursday 23rd January
Popped out for an hour at midday, but the visibility was terrible and the snow was hard. Didn't stay out for long!

Friday 24th January
There was about 4cm of snow overnight in Peisey. Higher up there was perhaps slightly more, nearer 10cm. It made a nice change to the pistes, which suddenly became much grippier. There was a lot of cloud about, but it seemed to be sunny around Peisey Vallandry most of the time, so we stayed there.

Today has been noticeably colder. The snow that fell over night is still light and fluffy, even down here.

24th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

24th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Tomorrow looks cold, sunny and quiet; perfect Toofy Grin
latest report
Very cool vid
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Very cool vid

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some more exciting ones in a few weeks time.

Saturday 25th January
The day started cold but warmed up gradually.

There was a freeriding competition above Arcs 2000

25th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

People were watching from the comfort of the bars in Arcs 2000

An excellent day for enjoying the views, but not for too long!

Mont Blanc was visible for most of the day, but was obscured by cloud in the afternoon

Yesterday's snow, whilst not very deep, was still in good condition making for some fun turns

All in all, today was a great day for mountain scenery.

By late afternoon the skies had darkened, hopefully in preparation for tonight's snowfall Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sunday 26th January
An overnight dusting; no more than 2-3cm. Today was cloudy, but ok visibility. Highlight of the day was lunch at La Vache...

26th January - Curry at La Vache by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

26th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

The upper pistes (generally anything above Derby) are in good condition. The runs down to the resorts are ok but a bit hard in places, more so towards the bottom. The fresh snow that has fallen in the last few days has been preserved well, with untracked areas still light and soft.

It's been snowing moderately for the last few hours, had about 4-5cm so far.
snow report
13cm of light white stuff outside the house, and still snowing snowHead
latest report
This looks like the big dump we have been waiting for! It has been snowing most of the night, and has just started again. I live higher up than Arsecaptain, near La Ferme restaurant, and all I can hear outside are the pisteurs detonating the dangerous areas, for almost the first time this season.
It looks set for a heavy grey day, so head for the forests round Peisey and Vallandry - stay low, where it is safe. I agree 13cm, and more to come!
latest report
Can hear the avi blasting from down here in Bourg, we had enough down here to ski through the streets last night, looking forward to getting up the hill asap
snow report
Much to my astonishment, but the weather cleared in two hours max., and it is now sunny and glorious. As I have to go to Bourg this afternoon, I am green with envy at all the lovely powder just waiting to be skied. Ah well, there's always tomorrow!
snow conditions
I only had time to head out for a couple of hours first thing, but the conditions were great. Not much more snow higher up than we had in Peisey, maybe 15cm max had fallen (although of course there were deeper drifts to be found), but the fact that this new snow fell on not-rock-solid old snow made a welcome change, and for the first time so far this year skiing through the trees became an attractive option!

Photos to come later, have to head down to Bourg in a bit.
snow report
Monday 27th January

There was snow on the pistes.

27th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

And all the way down the valley.

And on the trees.

ski holidays
Tuesday 28th January
Cold and sunny. It was -8c in Peisey around 9am. It was a day for the snow cannons.

28th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

28th January by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Pistes mostly great, apart from the usual suspects, but even they were better than they have been. Still quite a bit of easily accessible powder to be had.
snow conditions
Wednesday and Thursday were disappointing as far as snowfall was concerned - there was a half decent amount forecast, but none came. Wednesday morning had quite good visibility, but by the time we headed out in the afternoon it was a whiteout and we soon returned. Thursday didn't look worthy of leaving the house so I did some work.

Friday 31st January
Sunshine returns. A great day, cold but not too cold. I did another day of speed riding and made it through in one piece.

I've just got back from a quick drive up to the nordic centre, the temperature was about -1c in Peisey and -7 up the valley, it was freezing Shocked

I went there to see how much light pollution there is for star photography - turns out it is pretty good! no Milky Way in sight at this time of the year but I managed to capture a fair few stars:

31st January - Bellecote by night by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

I need to return in day light to find some good photo spots, it's hard to work it out in complete darkness..

Tomorrow looks nice to begin with, then hopefully turning to snow. I plan to head to La Plagne for the first time this season!
ski holidays
Wonderful pics and reports - a top up of snow is due Saturday night into Sunday morning
snow report
red 27, thanks!

Saturday 1st February
The skies were mostly clear this morning so we caught the Vanoise Express over to La Plagne. The slopes from the VE to the first gondola were pretty poor in places, lots of earth coming through and generally well scraped. Over in La plagne the snow was much better, thankfully. We spent a few hours skiing around, heading down to Champagny, until the clouds started to close in around midday. We went back via Crozats which had a lot of rocks just waiting to eat your skis - a route best avoided!

1st Feburary - La Plagne by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1st February - La Plagne by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1st February - La Plagne by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

By the time we got home at around 2 the sun had gone and the light was poor. It started snowing very lightly late in the afternoon, and picked up a few hours ago. It's now eased off a bit, but around 6cm has fallen so far so not too bad.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy