Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Peisey (Reports from Les Arcs, Paradiski and surrounding areas)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm living in Peisey (below Plan Peisey, part of Les Arcs ski area) for the winter with my wife Emma and plan to do lots of skiing whilst taking plenty of photos. I'll use this thread to post regular updates. I've been a bit busy since arriving so haven't had a chance to post much until now.

Tuesday 3rd December
Started the day by submitting my PhD thesis after more than 4 years slogging away Very Happy. We then rammed the car full of junk, tied some skis and a bike to the roof (for when the weather warms up), and set off for the Eurotunnel. A mostly uneventful trip, apart from a delayed crossing, perhaps related to all the fireengines we saw at the terminal.

Wednesday 4th December
Drove until about 2am, parked up for a few hours sleep and got going again around 5. Perfect driving conditions - the roads were empty and the weather was good. We arrived in Peisey around 1pm after a slightly sluggish crawl up the hill with our heavy car. We dumped all our junk in the apartment and went food shopping. I tested out my new GoPro by doing a quick timelapse of the winding road down to the valley:

http://youtube.com/v/7JEyLnjvTas

Thursday 5th December
Clear and sunny. Had a look around the village and took some photos:

Fire Wood by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1T6A1788.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Statue in Peisey by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Old Farm Buildings by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1T6A1801.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Vanoise Express by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Friday 6th December
It was sunny. I had work to do. Nothing much happened..

Saturday 7th December
We got up early and went to Meribel for their opening day. They were giving out free lift passes to the first 100 people - unfortunately we were about 105th in the queue! At least we got a free breakfast.

Meribel Opening Day by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

The pistes were generally very good. Some were a little hard but mostly very grippy. Only the odd rock sticking through. There was even some half decent powder in the shaded aspects.

We stopped off in Landry on the way home and took a couple more pictures:

1T6A1881.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Church above Landry by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

I had a play with the GoPro pole mount. Was not the most successful video..

http://youtube.com/v/wiZX2Sm0SD0

Sunday 8th December
I was busy working whilst my chef (Emma) made a christmas cake:

Christmas Cake by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

There was some nice light outside so I took a quick shot of the view out of our apartment:

Afternoon Sunshine by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Monday 9th December
Finally got around to heading up to Plan Peisey. Both of the vanoise express cable cars were at the Plan Peisey end:

Fancy Vanoise Express by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

There's been quite a bit of snow making going on in this end of Les Arcs:

big mounds by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Looks like they haven't bashed it in a while. On the way down from Plan Peisey we drove to Nancroix to take a look around. I spotted some icicles:

Icicles near Nancroix by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Tuesday 10th December
Once again it was sunny. We went to Bourg to buy a network cable, collect our season passes and buy a christmas tree. We only managed the latter..

Christmas Tree by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1T6A1959.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

That's all for now. The updates should get more interesting once the lifts open and the snow comes!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-12-13 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice photos keep them coming
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am sooooo jealous! This sounds like my ideal lifestyle! Hahaha keep up the brilliant photos and do loads of skiing for me! Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ArseCaptain, lovely photos, really looking forward to seeing your updates throughout the season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ArseCaptain wrote:
I tested out my new GoPro by doing a quick timelapse of the winding road down to the valley:

you can claim your seasonaires wings when you've overtaken a frenchy both up and down the hill

loving the photos - reminds me of the good times from 5 years ago now - keep them up
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ArseCaptain, Great photos and keep them coming!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ArseCaptain, Fantastic photos Very Happy We'll be there on Fri week (well, Plan Peisey)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fabulous photos. What are you shooting with?

A little bit different from the Beacons huh?

Will be returning with interest Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett,
Quote:

reminds me of the good times from 5 years ago now

Shocked How time flies!

ArseCaptain, Excellent work keep it up, I particularly liked December 6th Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff - also takes me back - spent quite few weeks in a mates chalet in Peisey in about 1999 Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
you can claim your seasonaires wings when you've overtaken a frenchy both up and down the hill

I over took an old french banger whilst driving up to Meribel, does that count? Toofy Grin
Quote:
Fabulous photos. What are you shooting with?

I have a canon 5D3, most of those pictures were taken with the canon 70-200 F4L, but you can see the lens data by opening the image on flickr.

Quote:

A little bit different from the Beacons huh?

Yes, and hopefully a bit more snow sure!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Yeah hope you get more snow than the Beacons.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ArseCaptain,

You could add Les Arcs or Paradiski to your thread title. It will probably get even more views.

On the other note, if you don't mind me asking, how easy / costly is to rent the apartment there for a season? Did you look online?
(unless of course you owe one Wink )

I look forward to more photos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our apartment was 6000 euros for the winter including bills, which was less than many of the cramped ski apartments we found in the bigger ski resorts, ours is a decent size (45sqm I think). I found it on the chaletsdirect forum. We sorted out the let privately which probably saved some money as well.

On to today's report

Wednesday 11th December
Sunny. Chopped some fire wood. 3 Days until lifts open!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ArseCaptain, nice photos and report - will be out on 21st for week! Somewhat envious of a season
latest report
ArseCaptain, Many thanks.
snow report
Great post and updates, ArseCaptain, will be sending a link to sis to get her in the mood for a short visit with her son. And will look out for you both on my daily shelp up to the lobster pots. I also owe you a PM ref Fishmongatti and guiding (will follow up shortly).

Quote:

Only counts if they have 73 plates...
snow conditions
Thursday 12th December
We went to Fontaine, which is a small settlement between Moutiers and Albertville. I'd decided to upgrade Emma's cooking skills and got her a half day lesson from Chalet Savoie Faire. Fontaine is pretty remote, and is at the top of a very long windy, often single track road. I wouldn't like to drive up there in heavy snow!

But we made it and were treated to some nice views:

1T6A1985.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Big Moon by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Emma enjoyed the cooking. I am still enjoying eating the things she made Very Happy

1T6A2011.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

1T6A2058.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

It was dark by the time we headed home. A good moment to notice a headlight is not working..

1T6A2096.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
snow conditions
ArseCaptain, I could smell the mountains in your photos. snowHead A few more days and I'll be there.
latest report
Friday 15th December
It was sunny. I was busy working when I was disturbed by the sound of a chicken outside our door:

Chicken by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Soon solved that one:

Coq au vin by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

In the evening we went into Bourg. I bought some new ski boots from intersport and we had a look around the christmas market. It did not seem very busy at all!

Bourg St Maurice Christmas Market by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

On the way back I took a photo of the lights on the entrance to Peisey:

1T6A2134.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
snow conditions
Saturday 14th December - Les Arcs Opening Day!
Finally, the lifts have started moving. We collected our passes from the nirvanalps office in Plan-Peisey and waited for the lift to open:

Les Arcs opening day by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Did a quick lap of the area. Snow was generally OK on piste, and surprisingly soft off piste in places. Poor visibility at the top of Aguille Rouge. It started to clear up around 11am:

I didn't take many pictures because my new boots were hurting me, the liners are slightly tight at the moment. Hopefully they'll get broken in after a few days! The clouds went away by the afternoon and we were back to the usual weather: sunshine.
latest report
Great shots.
snow conditions
Loving your posts, we will be out in our apartment Landry on Friday (we are right next to the church) - great photographs. What was your PhD Thesis, and how long until your viva?
Very excited to be counting down the days until I click into the skis again Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
What was your PhD Thesis, and how long until your viva?

It was on computer vision / machine learning. I'm hoping the viva wont be until after the ski season!

Sunday 15th December.

A lazy day:

didn't bring my camera with me. Did a few runs in the morning, glad to see the sun was back. Had to queue briefly for the arcabulle Shocked . Had some work to do and was hungry to came home around 1 ish, and found the motherboard on my PC had died. Great! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've been busy working this week, trying to get it out the way before better snow conditions arrive. Here's a big update..

Monday 16th December
Sunny! stayed home and worked today. Took a break to watch paradiski gravity:

Paradiski Gravity by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

At one point there were two helicopters flying around the cables!

Tuesday 17th December
Stayed in waiting for UPS to deliver my replacement motherboard, which finally arrived after an interesting phonecall - just about managed to explain that I would meet the driver at the post office in cobbled together French. We went out for a quick ski at about 3pm. It was a nice afternoon (sunny!).

The snow is getting quite tiring to ski in places, where it is hard you get up to speed very quickly and it takes a bit of effort to stop again.

17th December. Sunny again by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

A hint of a change in weather:

Wednesday 18th December
No skiing for me. Worked in the morning, went into Bourg, bought lots of cheese, a leg of ham and some snow chains. Oh, and it was sunny.

Thursday 19th December
The weather has changed! woke up to cloudy skies. Started snowing around midday, but the freezing line is quite a bit higher from Peisey and it mostly melted down here. Popped out for a few hours towards the end of the afternoon. There was around 5cm of snow in the Peisey/Villandry area, and limited visibility. It has helped a little, but the rock solid snow towards the village was still coming through.

19th December. Snow has arrived! by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

The snow from the top of the 'Lobster pots' down to Peisey:

And the view from Peisey:

latest report
Its been snowing steadily in Arc 2000 for much of the day. We had great fun on he slopes today, but visibility was not great!
ski holidays
Friday 20th December
A dull day. Started snowing around mid day and continued with very wet snow that was melting once it hit the ground in Peisey. Just went outside and the sky has cleared and the stars are out. Will head out early tomorrow morning to see what difference has been made. Might even head across to La Plagne as I think the Vanoise express opens tomorrow.
snow report
Looks like Ive got a bit behind with my photos Blush

Saturday 21st December
Some really nice snow about, especially higher up. The pistes were very grippy and the weather was great.

Sat 21st December - Sunny by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Sat 21st December - Sunny by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Monday 23rd December
Christmas week is in full swing and the ski area is suddenly much busier, which is to the detriment of many busy areas where the snow is scraped away. On the plus side the snow park is now open, complete with lots of people standing around above the jumps getting in the way.

23rd December - Snowpark is open by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

A good day for flying:

23rd December by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

23rd December by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tuesday 24th December
Didn't bother skiing today, but had a look around Peisey in the evening.

Peisey - Christmas Eve by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

There was a long procession through the town following Pere Noel, with little children holding his cape.

Wednesday 25th December
No skiing today either as the predicted snow did not arrive. Not a big problem as we had other things to keep us entertained:

1T6A2408.jpg by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Thursday 26th December
At long last, we had snow all the way down to Peisey! It started at some point during the night, and continued throughout the day. There was around 7cm in Peisey by the afternoon. We started the day by catching the Peisey chair and quickly headed across to Derby where we managed to catch the first chair of the day, and consequently got fresh tracks all the way back to the lift. The snow was fun if a little heavy in places. We spent most of the morning in the trees before heading across to Arcs 1800. I even had cold hands for the first time this winter, which is a welcome change.

Boxing Day Snow by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Boxing Day Snow by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
ski holidays
Many thanks, great reports snowHead
ski holidays
Friday 27th December

27th December by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Today looks like a good day.
latest report
Friday 27th December - Part 2

Pistes were in very good condition, especially higher up. The cannons were running and the sun was out.

The snow line has dropped considerably:

27th December - Helicopter at the altiport by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

27th December - very busy by BadgerSpade, on Flickr
snow report
Excellent pics, we are driving out tomorrow, ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, then the usual drive via Lyon airport to Chambery.
Your recent photos have whetted my appetite.
We live high up near la Vache and La Ferme restaurants. (Old Peisey)
Hopefully out till mid March.
If you are living in Peisey, try Madame Poccard's cheese shop, near the butcher's, the best Beaufort and Tomme in the valley!
ski holidays
fj, we went to la vache a couple of weeks ago when they were doing a Malaysian themed night, had a very enjoyable meal. I've inspected the cheese shop through the window but am yet to venture inside; it's on my todo list!
snow conditions
28th December
Signs of a change back to snowy weather were apparent as the sun rose this morning.

28th December by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

I didn't get out today so no comment on the snow. It stayed dry for most of the day, but got progressively cloudier. It started raining a few hours ago and quickly turned to snow, which is currently falling in heavy wet flakes, but not melting straight away. Made carrying 4 pizzas down the steep windy passageways back to our apartment interesting Toofy Grin

28th December by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Tomorrow should be fun Cool
snow report
Sunday 29th December
An excellent day on the slopes. We only had about 5cm of snow in Peisey, but higher up there was probably 10-15cm which freshened up the pistes and made for an entertaining morning. Unfortunately the masses of people around meant it got tracked out quite quickly.

29th December - A nice bit of fresh snow by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Around midday it looked like the top station of the Villards lift was on fire. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a photo of that..

The pistes were quite bumpy in places, which whilst good fun, made for a tiring day. Especially when I dropped my helmet at the bottom of the Mont Blanc lift and had to do a couple of laps to get it back - the runs down to 1600 were quite hard work by the end of the day.
latest report
ArseCaptain, coming out to Plan Peisey so watching your thread with great interest, looks a lot better than a week or so ago Very Happy
ski holidays
It's snowing quite heavily at the moment, hopefully this will keep going for a while. Its not even melting straight away so should be good higher up.
snow report
No updates for the last few days. Been busy / not skiing due to queues / hungover so no photos.

Thursday 2nd January - part 1

2nd Janurary by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Snow is still falling heavily, we've had about 8cm so far. I plan to head out this afternoon and have a play in the trees Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ArseCaptain wrote:
No updates for the last few days. Been busy / not skiing due to queues / hungover so no photos.

Thursday 2nd January - part 1

2nd Janurary by BadgerSpade, on Flickr

Snow is still falling heavily, we've had about 8cm so far. I plan to head out this afternoon and have a play in the trees Toofy Grin

Hi, what height is your picture taken at ? Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy