Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MK xscape icedome

Poster: A snowHead
Helen101, Went about a month back and it was okay.

I got there for the first 9am slot, and the snow was fine. There were a couple of icey patches towards the end of our session (11am) tho.

my advice would be get there early - it's worth the effort....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen101 wrote:
Has anyone been to MK recently? I was thinking of going in this weekend, but if the snow/ice/slush is as bad as it was it's a bit pointless...
More than 2 months since the last post on this, so I'll be interested to hear.
Perhaps when the season is well finished we could blink back the tears and arrange a bash - if they haven't closed the slope to strip it back and start again, as they should have done a while back, I gather.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball,
Quote:

Perhaps when the season is well finished we could blink back the tears and arrange a bash

Good thinking Batman Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, went there about 4 weeks ago when snow was good on both slopes, something I couldn't've said for either side for at least the preceding 3 months, but haven't been there recently so couldn't say how things are now. I understand the improvement was the result of closing one side at a time and shifting even more diseased snow out than they've done previously and laying down new. However they stopped short of the major overhaul needed to produce a lasting improvement, which they may apparently now do over the summer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah well...thanks all. If I go, I'll report back. At the moment the idea of getting up before 10am is distinctly unappealing - even if there is a snowdome at the end of it. Plus I keep getting mysterious comments from friends that 'plans are afoot' for the weekend, so I suspect I may be swept up in other plans anyway Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just wondering - if the MK snowdome is so bad, and the last time I went there it was pretty Icy, where else is good to go in the UK?

I've got a few non skiers who want to come next year and normally I would recommend some lessons at the MK snowdome like I did, but if there are better places then I would love to know?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't go at the weekend - was whisked off elsewhere for non-skiing activities Smile

kosciosco, Learning on snow is good, but unless you can guarantee the consistancy of the snow you get access to then I'm not convinced I wouldn't advise a dry slope . At least then you know what you're getting - and then when you do get out to the slopes it's a whole heap easier skiing on that than the dry stuff - which is an immediate confidence booster to new ski-ers. (I learned to ski on the Glasgow dry slope, and am not at all sure I'd have kept going if I'd tried to learn at MK on one of their bad snow/ice days)

Tamworth might be another option to look at if you want snow - depends where you are. I've never been but I've heard people say it's good. If you can get a good instructor recommended to you, then I'd probably go for that over the surface. After all, a beginner wouldn't know any different as to whether they're learning on good or bad stuff, so wouldn't be as judgemental as I am now.

Enough wittering - back to work!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tamworth's always icy as hell at the top but after the corner it's fine. The instructors are always helpful too, even when you're not having a lesson with them. Never been to Xscape (don't even know where Milton Keynes is ) so can't really compare.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I honestly wonder whether all the snowdomes aren't the same to be honest. Tamworth and MK are run by the same company, so I doubt they will have different policies in place. Sounds to me like they have a big mess brewing, or maybe they will only replace the problem equipment when they can no longer patch it up?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kosciosco, I think Tamworth is run by someone else than Xscape, who run MK,Castleford&Glasgow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, I have been to Castleford quitea lot & rarely encountered ice. But it is much newer than MK so equipment failute is not likely and lessons learned in design & operation should be more effective. I visited Tamworth once (well, twice, the second time I visited it was closed!) and there was ice just on the corner, ut that was 2-3 years ago.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco, I've been to Tamworth several times and always found it either icy or cementy (it comes through and does wonders for your edges), where you are I'd stick to MK (check it out first each time - the rental guys are usually pretty honest about the conditions, and they don't really change that quick (the conditions not the rental guys)), or how 'bout dry (Hemel, Welwyn)?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of good news - my neighbours went to the MK snowdome on Monday and found no ice to contend with, in fact they said that the slopes were better than they had found when they had been there before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just spent Saturday trying my hand at the Lions Ski Club Race. Can report no ice. I would say the snow was too dry as it wouldn't bond when squeezed by hand and the organisers were having a problem keeping the slalom poles in. For those who like air, the slope on the left as you look up, has got a great roller in it. If only daffy's and twister were cool!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I might actually be tempted to go and have a look then!!!!
snow conditions
Went to Castleford yesterday afternoon (2.30-4.30) for the first time and really liked it. Found it to be ice free, very clean and modern and quite quiet yesterday which was nice as you could ski without dodging people. Only downside is the cost £31 for two hours, I think next time I may try and get there during the week for the 9-12am session for £25. Found it much better than Tamworth which I think is pretty run down and very icy and the snow resembled washing powder.
latest report
I am told that Tamworth uses a different snow-making method than the other (later) three. More like shaved ice than proper snow crystals.
snow conditions
looking at going to milton keens on monday (want to get there for the 9am opening).

anyone know how the conditions are early on a monday morning?

Im stuck in a MK hotel for 2 weeks doing work experence at Homebase's head office, so the ice dome looks like it may get a fair bit of use...
ski holidays
OK, the_fatadder or anyone else, I'm thinking of visiting MK in the next few days for a quick fix - So, when are you going next? I may try to meet up. (Well, not tomorrow, but after that.)
latest report
9am on bank holiday monday morning, looks very likly. this week im stuck at home revising for exams Sad
snow report
Ah, sorry, no good. On holidays I am with my non-skiing wife. Weekdays are better for me when (being self-employed) I can bunk off. (Ice dome not getting as much use as you hoped?) How was monday morning by the way?
snow report
likewise cannot - there is a thread on the events section - why not round up a few there ?
ski holidays
When i went in March, it was icy on top at MK, and at the bottom soup. Felt like winter above, medium in the middle and spring snow at the bottom.
snow report
I think it varies massively from all the posts I have read here and there doesn't seem to be any rationale about when it will be good or not.
ski holidays
As far as I can gather the problem back in the Winter was Glycol leaks from broken cooling tubes caused by build up of too much old ice.
latest report
I live 25mins away from the xscape mk and go quite a lot. If you're a student you HAVE to do the special deal they have Monday and Wednesday where it's 2hrs for £15 or 3 for £20, as long as you go AFTER 19:00 (don't quote me, only 87% sure of this) It's always DESERTED. Last time I went with 4 others and we represented over half of the punters. You can book but it's pretty pointless as there's no need. The deal is not advertised at all which is odd because its a blinder and the only time I'd ever go - I only found it after getting lost off-piste in the xscape website.

As for conditions... well I think you'd have to travel far and wide looking for worse skiing on snow, the legendary glacier at the top showing no signs of giving in to global warming and the fluff at the bottom is so slow you can pretty much schuss it from the top right onto the lift without taking out too many beginner snowboarders.

But when you remember you're skiing in a fridge in England which is a few years overdue a service it's not too bad. I'd think long and hard about it if I was paying full whack or had to travel a couple of hours though.

As for recent problems - Couldn't say as I've been living the alps since September Very Happy
snow report
alecl, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Can't help pointing out that Swiss Alps are not 25 minutes from Milton Keynes, except in an estate agents wildest imaginings.
ski holidays
alecl, Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings you can do 3 hours for £29 (£25 if under 16), also Thursday, Friday and Saturday 7pm-11pm for £35 (£29 under 16), but that's on the mainstream bit of the website (prices/skiing/sessions). I can't see the thing you mention (must be very off-piste, as you say). Of course things may have changed since September when you were last here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I found the session that alecl is referring to:

http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/milton-keynes/whats-inside/snowslope/opening-hours/

Does anyone know how busy the thursday night 7pm - 11pm session gets?
snow report
Ian H, I'm currently studying in switzerland but also live near Bedford, couldn't really be bothered to put that in post though - well spotted.

Looks like pirces have gone up since I was there before christmas, and yes, as I remember the deal is hidden well away somewhere on the website, well found by kosciosco - did you need a party of sherpas to help you track it down?
latest report
alecl, I set up a team in the office to go boldly into the site and see if someone could find the answer - we lost two along the way. Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy