Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MK xscape icedome

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Peeps,

Anyone been to the snow dome recently? Last time i went was a couple of months ago and it was pretty icy. Any improvement or just as bad/worse? To be fair we did go on a saturday afternoon.

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went Sunday. Was icy at the top, but must say conditions are the best for over 3 months I reckon, as it was quite soft and powdery on the rest of the run without being too bumpy.

Went last Tuesday and it was actually SNOWING in there Shocked A pipe was bust, so they had the machines pushing out snow. Nice and fluffy, but impossible to see in sections, and really bumpy underfoot.

But on Sunday it was great. I was just about to give up on the place too!

ScottyDog
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there last Tuesday too... with Michelle and Johnboy.
I didn't think it was a burst pipe, I thought it was the new snow guns they were trying out!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It does make you wonder though. Someone once suggested to me that the problem with certain snowdomes in the UK is that the actual sliding down the slopes thing is peripheral to the main business, and so there's not enough investment on the skiing side - hence poor snow, general shabbiness, etc. The principal source of income? Rentals, very high ones as well, charged to shops etc on the spot. So much so that not a few small businesses go under pretty quickly.

Never been to a snowdome, but is it the case that there are malls / shopping areas centred on the skiing at the likes of Milton Keynes?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, thats what I was told, athough I have pretty much given up on most of the Snowdome staff. There are some good people in there, but I am getting increasingly frustrated each time I visit, and thats before I even manage to get them to answer the phone rolling eyes

PG, Our shop just along from the slope doesn't do skis, its Evans Cycles

You are not wrong about high space costs though! (Although our London stores are in another league in terms of costs!) But it has to be weighed up with the heavy footfall. Our store is under a year old but is already established as one of our busier stores. Thats why we have another in Castleford! I am always looking for an excuse to escape head office for a 'store visit' wink

People seem to be into the same things as me - bikes, skiing and (Ask) pizza wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from MK. The slope was busy, due mainly to the fact that the slope management was funnelling all skiers onto one Poma, keeping the 2nd one for classes. Genuine ice at the top caused a few splats, it was rock hard.
The uplift track was quite bare to the matting in places, and the wooden edging showing splinters sticking up.
The top part of the centre slope was closed off because a cherry picker was being used to clean some ice off the blowers near the ceiling. The machine had a diesel engine, which caused a layer of fumes to sit at the drop off area of the poma.
The lockers made me sooo Mad I put my money in 2 different lockers and could not get the key out, therefore losing my quid, before finding one that worked.
The nice folk at EB advised me not to take my own skis onto the slope because of screws sticking up. Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, so you had a good time then?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The nice folk at EB advised me not to take my own skis onto the slope because of screws sticking up.

If that's true the folks at MK are leaving themselves wide open to being up in court on health and safety grounds, what happens if someone injures themselves on one of the screws ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, if it had happened and been near Easter we would have had a hot cross bunny
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

D G Orf, if it had happened and been near Easter we would have had a hot cross bunny

Very good Laughing
It was a "new boots" settling trip. I aslo took 2 pairs of skis in for binding adjustment. The nice helpful EB staff gave me a pair of their test skis to use Little Angel
So, I had information overload, the new boots fit entirely differently, and the skis were completely different Confused
I skied like Embarassed I had the shame of seeing me on one of the video stills at the bottom of the slope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf,
Quote:

what happens if someone injures themselves on one of the screws ?

I did look out for on slope "nasties" but apart from what I have already posted, plus some litter, I guess the sheet ice patches were the biggest hazard. I did look for screws!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a ski lesson there on Friday and loved every minute of it. The staff seemed very helpful and the instructors good.

i can't really comment too much on the snow condition as I was on the ski school side, so it wasn't churned up at all, but what I saw didn't seem too bad - but then it was 9am when I started, so it may get worse during the day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've learnt to tele there over the summer but must say that my last couple of visits probably as I packed in more laps the ice patches got to be a real issue. After a 1.5 to 2 hour drive its not really something I want to be paying £21 an hour (notice how they keep bumping up the rate!) plus booking fee plus locker fee to experience. Then the only good quality snow part of the slope is closed of for kid's sledging etc.

The fact that there is no information readily available in advance about conditions/ closures is a real shaft the punter trick too.

Can't see me returning unfortunately this winter - I'd love to try dryslope if only they had tele rentals.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I've decidied to risk another trip there anyways. It's a real shame as I've also been to Tamworth snowdome (whilst I was up north) and it was a complete contrast, although smaller than MK the snow conditions were absolutly ideal, although the conveyor belt style lift up was a bit of a pain, but you can't have it all i guess!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from morning MK. Long queues for a single poma available for public use. Reception was very slow, but the folk were pleasant. Was advised that only one main slope was open, which was only partly correct, since the 2nd poma was running, but being "kept" for the exclusive use of 1 class. I used this poma and had a miserable member of staff bawling me out about using it. Tells me it's closed, clearly it wasn't, being neither roped off, nor marked as closed, and it was running. Evil or Very Mad
Then Mr misery, tells me that they only open the 2nd poma when there are more than 100 people Shocked on the slope. I spent a disproportionate amount of my slope time on waiting for uplift. Mad

The upper quarter of the main flat slope has even more clear ice. Saw many fallers. It appears that loose snow is being placed on top of the ice, but it soon scrapes off. Icy right across the upper slope. The uplift track still has lots of matting showing through and exposed wooden edges.
Like last week, for some bizarre reason the slope mgmt decided to run a diesel powered cherry picker at the top of the central slope. After 2 days spent coughing from last week, I decided to finish early.
Maybe Tamworth next week. rolling eyes
latest report
snowbunny, sounds grim. MK management seem determined to run that place into the ground Sad
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
Like last week, for some bizarre reason the slope mgmt decided to run a diesel powered cherry picker at the top of the central slope. After 2 days spent coughing from last week, I decided to finish early. Maybe Tamworth next week.

You could always try the great outdoors - on the plastic! I always knew that it had to have some advantages...
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, By the time I quit today, I was cross, but IMV it's still better than a dry slope, so I guess that if lots of skiers feel the same as me, the Mgmt could do much, much worse and still get enough customers Confused
snow report
Okanagan,
Quote:

You could always try the great outdoors - on the plastic! I always knew that it had to have some advantages...

To get a clean environment to ski in, I may yet seek out the Dendix Shocked I can't believe that I just posted that Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
snowbunny, Video stills?
snow report
Brit_Sloaney!,
Quote:

snowbunny, Video stills?

I suppose it would have made more sense if I had said digital stills. There is a camera part way down that seems to be set to shoot an image when a skier passes. Usually blurry, and a lower quality than the ones at theme parks, but much the same principle, at a cost of £3.50 or £4.50. I may go along tomorrow in the morning. I will post up here on the conditions I find.
ski holidays
Oh that's cool! I never knew there was one lol. I've been to MK about 3 times, though it is rather expensive. Cool though. Satisfies my mid year snow cravings Madeye-Smiley
snow report
was at cas this afternoon and it was ace, good snow no q's just a few grumpy lift staff who didnt even notice people skiing over some poor girl who tied herself in a knot half way up !

they DID notice however someone using a video camera phone, next thing the CIA were bundling him out and whisked him to some prison camp in Russia that doesn't exist !

what are they so worried about ?? Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Royal, the person may be videoing people without their permission, and if that includes minors, then it's considered very bad.
ski holidays
i dont think there are any minors left in sheffield....NehNeh

however.... there is a large sign at the entrance prohibiting phots and the people were filming each other.
snow conditions
Oh. They never caught me ! Or my brother. Or my dad. (for photo/filming)
THey did tell me off on sunday for doing the mougl field without a helmet. Cool
ski holidays
snowbunny, I'm told that conditions over the last 2 days have been as bad as they've ever been (burst glycol pipe), but that things should be good by friday, so i'd be concerned about conditions you'll find thursday
snow report
slikedges,
Quote:

snowbunny, I'm told that conditions over the last 2 days have been as bad as they've ever been (burst glycol pipe), but that things should be good by friday, so i'd be concerned about conditions you'll find thursday

Thank you for the info, you're a star. I will now switch my visit to Friday morning. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny, what time Friday?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, In the morning, are you considering a slide too?
snow report
snowbunny, it's a possibility!
snow conditions
Just back from MK. Reception was swift today in stark contrast to every earlier visit I have made. I was warned that conditions were less than ideal, and there was a sign on the reception suggesting that users check the slope conditions before buying time since, no refunds would be given. I enquired about the glycol leak that slikedges, advised on earlier in the thread. Initially, it was denied that there had been one, then reluctantly admitted Very Happy
There had been a lot of freshly made "snow" dumped randomly on the slopes. It was not pisted down, so once scraped into piles by boarders the ice underneath showed through. Fun sliding with constant adjustment needed with the "powder" (novices sink like a stone, a bit like skiing in flour).
Both Poma's were running and open to the public, but the tracks were wearing thin with exposed edges. I took an old pair of skis, after reading slikedges, recent bad experience. There was very little queueing, it may have been quieter today. The co. were running the cherry picker (again), my ski clothes now stink of diesel fumes Evil or Very Mad . Wear The Fox Hat, you missed a pretty good session, where were you?
snow report
snowbunny, word now is it will be next week before conditions are good again. Sorry I couldn't let you know sooner.
snow conditions
slikedges,
Quote:

snowbunny, word now is it will be next week before conditions are good again. Sorry I couldn't let you know sooner.

No worries, it was okay today. Got the chance to use lots of skills all on each run. No damage to my skis either, though they do need waxing again, so dry Shocked
snow conditions
Was there with the uni last monday, everyone very dissapointed for the most part.

Slope was a combination of sheet ice then slush then more ice before ending in slush, with pritty much all the 'snow' piled up at the bottom.

Early on particular problems were caused by snowboarders (and the odd skiier, but mostly boarders!) falling right in the midel meaning swerving into the slush to miss them losing all speed in the process Evil or Very Mad thankfully it didnt take long till they had all bu**erd off and left the slope nice and empty to get some turns going. Very little queueing (although when there was more than a couple of people waiting it did turn into your standard alpine bundle who could get to the front quickest, (then every couple of runs the lift would cut out) Oh and the rental skis were even worse than the rubbish you get at the ponty dryslope Sad

Still, I enjoyed it in the end. good fix to tide me over for another 23days till La Plagne
ski holidays
Oh great. Think I'm really going to enjoy going there next week then after all the wonderful reports Confused I've pre booked a session for Monday 19th, hope it's not a mistake - I'd hate it if me or one of our party fell over on their less than perfect surface and got injured just before going away to 3 valleys on xmas eve Shocked
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy, Like I said, this week was the best it has been since the summer IMO. You could phone them 1st if you are want to be sure of the conditions. It was perfectly skiable, very varied, much like resorts are. If you don't fall over you are not trying hard enough Madeye-Smiley
snow report
cheers snowbunny, just read your post properly (my bad), good news indeed Smile
snow report
Anybody been to Mk over/since Christmas. How was it?
Thinking about going over for a couple of hours to loosen up a bit before going away next week.
latest report
mac, I went over on Wednesday but for shopping not skiing rolling eyes
I did go and have a quick look at the slope and even on a snowHead evening I have never seen it soo busy Shocked The slope was quiet as everybody was queing in the lifts and althought both drags were going there seemed to be very big waits for them both. This was early afternoon so it may be quieter first thing in the morning. Give them a call and ask them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy