Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MK xscape icedome

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to go, perhaps in the morning to beat the rush. Any idea when you might go?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If we get to go it'll have to be a mid-week evening as I'm working everyday before we go and fri/sat night too. In the past we've gone to the first tracks on a Monday morning and had a few hours there. It's been fine when we went in the past, but have heard a few dodgey reports recently. We also considered going up to the tamworth dome, but that's a bit far.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, not so good for me at present but I might be able to manage it. Do you mean very late? I'll have to see when I will be least missed by my wife.
I imagine they have taken down all the jumps? (they usually do during the most busy period)
I don't go to the mountains for another 4 weeks but it would be good to get the feel back (and meet another snowhead - I've been too busy to go to the recent meets).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, hey, good to have you back around!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was in MK yesterday. Still a few jumps on the right slope as you look up, but I'm told snow's been #@*$% for the last couple of weeks. A couple of months ago it was the pistenbully, then it was the glycol pipes and now apparently the snow-making's gone awol and left it's retarded nephew's pet monkey in charge. It's ice covered by virtual slush out there at present I'm told. People were leaving early. The MoD (manager of the day) said it may be fixed by today, but I'll bet he says that to all the guys.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, let me know if you decide to go again.
Hi Dan
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was at Mk this morning - looks like spring had arrived with all the porridge they had on the slopes. Top and bottom of the left hand piste(as you look up from the bottom) is out of action - poor old liftie was digging out a 2m x 2m section of slope to get at the chiller pipes beneath. Also a but icy on the right hand piste. Bit like Corbet's Couloir for beginners at the top as the punters congregate at the top looking for the best line to avoid the ice; the braver lot were straight-lining the icy section at the top only to come a cropper at the first turn in the porridge - hilarious! I took the boot fitter's advice and got a pair of skis(SUV12.1) from Ellis Brigham - nice on ice but not as nice as Atomics, which they have discontinued stocking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowball, we're not going to have any time to get to MK this week, to busy. By the sounds of it that's no bad thing. How can MK get things so wrong, don't seem to hear so many complaints about the other domes?. Is the managment really this bad?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are people who are going to MK complaining to the management when they are there, or just leaving and complaining here?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, I have tried complaining to the functionary on duty, and also telling them that their inadquate responses will be posted on here...result...no change rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, good, at least you're doing something about it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, complaining, which is why I got told what I was told by the MoD wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went to Castleford last Friday afternoon and the snow was excellent + NehNeh . Usual story about staff though. No one at cash desk - had to queue at Clothes Hire desk to pay. About 15 mins as people were actually hiring them (first time I've seen that - but it was school holidays) as well as paying. Only one person on ski and boot hire desk - although another did appear before I got to the front of the queue. And only one poma open, although when I pointed out that it was a safety issue, as people were queuing at the bottom of the slope, (thanks for that tip, whoever posted it on snowHeads Cool ) the other one was opened immediately, so no complaints there.

Obviously, better organised ooop north (runs and hides Laughing )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MK snowdome this morning: still ice the first few yards at the top and then something like skiing porridge. The best solution was to get up speed by skiing straight on the ice and then stay on your edges, carving shallow turns all the way down.
Not the best fun but they were only charging half price.
One employee told me they had a compressor out, but expected the slope to be back to normal in about 10 days. Another said the compressor was going to be started up again today. Not sure if both of these can be true or only one (or neither).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, am told by an insider that the problems run deep. Allegedly, when the slope was first built they were told that every 5 years or so they needed to close it for several weeks to remove all the snow and ice which by then would be contaminated with glycol and comprehensively service the pipes before building back up. Allegedly, this has never been done and all they do is dig half way down and replace which doesn't last long, as it all just comes back up through from the deeper layers, and otherwise just firefight the recurrent leaks (2 more over the last couple of days apparently) Sad. Allegedly. Definitely better up north maggi, but wait 5 years Twisted Evil wink .
latest report
Is the glycol what makes it sticky? It seemed quite abnormal - crystaline rather than really slushy, yet really resisting a proper slide.
snow report
sounds like a whole heap of fun, was going on Saturday but I am not sure I will now!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
snowball, yes, I think so, it stops it freezing properly, or melting completely, so it's almost gooey.

Annehillskiing, I'm not going to bother until I hear of positive progress.

In the meantime, anyone fancy a skiing day trip? £30 for 2 hours at Xscape or £80 for potentially 5 hours on a mountain. Very Happy
snow conditions
Anymore news on what is happening with the snow (ice) conditions
latest report
Thought I would bring this back up to the top again. Has anyone been to the MK Snowdome recently and know what the conditions are like?
ski holidays
Ditto - I could do with a quick run on something resembling snow (not ice or porridge!) before I hit the slopes (face first?!) at the end of the month. But don't want to bother with MK if it's as grim as the reports above say it is... Sad
snow report
Annehillskiing, Helen101, I'll see if I can find out and post something tomorrow.
ski holidays
It wasn't so much really porridge - though the surface had some loose snow - it just resisted sliding . Really strange. But you can keep going to the bottom.
I'm hoping the official who said 10 days knew what he was talking about.
snow report
Annehillskiing, Helen101, it seems they're trying to do something about the problem, though stopping short of the complete overhaul. They've hired three dumper trucks and I'm informed every evening this week are going to be digging out old snow from deep, and fixing anything big they come across. Apparently snow-making is back online too, so good conditions should be back by this weekend or by early next week at the latest. snowHead
latest report
Thank you for the info, it might just tempt me to take a look on Saturday, though I am slightly nervous of tempting fate the night b4 going on holiday to Switzerland!!!! Shocked
snow conditions
While you're at MK try the indoor skydiving. It's fantastic....

http://www.airkix.com/
latest report
Oh wow WayneC, ..... I have to try that! I guess you already have? Must try to keep my other half off this thread and take him as a surprise!

slikedges, thanks for the update - I'll try and head over at the weekend - though maybe not try out the skydiving until I'm back from skiing!
ski holidays
Amazing WayneC, I'll have to try it (but perhaps after I get back from my very expensive 3rd February ski holiday!)
I saw the building (at the low end of the snowdome) when I was up there last time and wondered what it was.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annehillskiing, Helen101, if you do have a slide, please report back Very Happy. A first hand report is always nice! snowHead

WayneC, tried this in Tokyo circa 1992. Great fun but the MK facility is very expensive imho for the very limited time they give you (1-2 minutes!!) , when compared to how much I paid even when corrected for inflation and the high yen at the time.
ski holidays
Xscape claim they had mostly got the problem fixed by yesterday, but then someone went into some nets and somehow smashed them down in such a way that they ruptured another glycol pipe. This has caused another ice patch and stickiness below. Sounds like they didn't make proper ice around the mended pipes to protect them. Probably to save time.
The person I spoke to thought it ought to be fixed by the end of the week and the general quality of the snow should gradually continue to improve over the next week or so, apart from this.
snow conditions
Went this afternoon with jab10001 - he may post later as well. It wasn't a lot of fun - large patches of ice, especially at the top end of the main slope, and the snow was very sticky (porridge?), but perfectly ski-able as long as you put on a bit of speed (and managed to avoid everyone else - it was a bit busy!). If you're after a consistant surface you're probably better off on a dry slope to be honest, but I was there to get my ski-legs back/boost confidence, and he was making sure that his leg was up to skiing. So a success on both counts - I didn't fall over despite dodgy conditions (and slightly dodgy technique Shocked), and he didn't collapse in a heap Very Happy. Hurrah!! Courchevel here we come... snowHead
snow report
We went to MK Snowdome before Christmas and also a month before - first time it was great, beautiful powder, last time, was very icy and way too busy.

Corchevel here we come too!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Icy at the top, very sticky from about halfway down. For consistency, I think I'd prefer a dry slope! Queues not too bad while we were there (12:30 on Sunday), but not helped by people unable to use the lifts. Glad we weren't an hour later, as the queues were pretty big at reception and a couple of large goups came in too. Even so, £21 for 8 runs seems an awful lot to me...
snow report
When I was there nearly 2 weeks ago, I was only charged £8 because of the snow problem. Sounds like they should still be doing that
ski holidays
Been to Castlford today, snow good with no major icy areas, both lifts working even though it wasnt perticularly busy. All in all had a decent fix of slidding.
ski holidays
I tried Milton Keynes again today. The right hand slope (looking up) was temporarily closed for the day for work on snow cannons, but was expected to be open again tomorrow.
On the available slope the snow now seems to be back to normal (in respect of the recent stickiness) but there was even more ice than before, which I presume is a legacy of all the recent troubles.
snow report
Im supposed to be going here tomorow with friends, i've never been here before and i've booked a 2 hour session on the recreation slope. problem is, im getting quite concerned as I haven't been skiing for 2 years and whilst that was my first time, I learnt snowplow,paralell, turning corners - all the basic stuff really. Im worried that after 2 years I'll have forgotten all that stuff and will get thrown off the slope for not meeting their requirements. Do you think this would happen and if so, what should I do?
latest report
brasseye wrote:
Im worried that after 2 years I'll have forgotten all that stuff and will get thrown off the slope for not meeting their requirements. Do you think this would happen and if so, what should I do?

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I think it's like learning to ride a bike - you won't "foregt" how to do it but it might take a few goes to get your ski legs back. I doubt it very much if you'll get kicked off the slope - the standard expected isn't paticularly high, just don't ski into anyone wink Perhaps you could try getting off the button lift halfway up if you're not confident enough to ski the whole slope at first.

Just relax and enjoy snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
hey thanks, just reading their website they sounded quite strict about it, I'll be allowed to fall over a few times and just snowplough slowly down the slope right? - do you know how low is the first place you can get off on the lift?
latest report
Has anyone been to MK recently? I was thinking of going in this weekend, but if the snow/ice/slush is as bad as it was it's a bit pointless...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy