Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
alti - dude wrote:
andyrew, it was knee high powder on some of the pistes I was on this morning so conditions had changed from yesterday . . . and I think all of the 3V links were closed early on. I've not been around as much as you but I do know that conditions high up (ie at the links) will be different to those down low (ie at the start of the Mont de la Chambre chair) and I for one would let the pros make the decisions having had a look at conditions and risks at the top not us well meaning and often biased amateurs.

My guess is that they decided not to open the links until all was clear higher up and this means that the chairs going up to the links will be closed. .. . Obviously a disappointment but give them the benefit of the doubt.

What pissed me off the most today was the lack of any information from the Les Menuires lift operators about what was open. They were happy to let me stand for over half an hour in a queue for the Bruyeres cabine bombarding me with adverts about Les Menuires but didn't deem it necessary to tell me waiting in that queue was pointless because I couldn't go anywhere past mid station. That's just shoddy as far as I'm concerned. Why don't they have those lighted piste maps showing whats running and what isn't?

I've stayed in Les Menuires before and had a great time but today they looked like amateurs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
emwmarine wrote:

That's fine. Clearly, you know better with your vast experience and can spot a slovenly worker when you see one. Good to know you condone ignoring closed piste signs as well. I won't argue with someone as experienced as you.

I notice you didn't answer the question. Were you there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swiftoid wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

That's fine. Clearly, you know better with your vast experience and can spot a slovenly worker when you see one. Good to know you condone ignoring closed piste signs as well. I won't argue with someone as experienced as you.

I notice you didn't answer the question. Were you there?

Let me think. No, you're right again, I can't be arsed to answer your question.

But I do bow down before your years of wisdom and experience and now accept:

1) Ignoring a piste closed sign must therefore be safe. You must be right they must have done it to upset the 'Mr. Angrys' and not because they don't want a piste further damaged, or for avalanche safety or that the piste is dangerous. They must just enjoy inconveniencing people by a few minutes and not be thinking of their safety.

2) They must also be late with the lifts because they are lazy and can't get out of bed. I won't argue with your years of experience. It can't be because they haven't finished blasting or avalanche assessing on a Morning where people were trapped by an avalanche just off Boismint.

Maybe you could also write to Setam with some of your suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine, pay a bit more attention before responding like a knob in future. There's a good boy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine, swiftoid, get a room
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine,

The name of the liftcompany in Les Menuires is not SETAM but SEVABEL !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 28-12-13 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A clouded sky during the morning. Some sunny spells between 13 and 14, but storming winds above 2500 meter. Several lifts have to be closed for safety reasons during the afternoon. Start of the snowfall at 17.00 hour. Ten centimeters of new snow during the evening.

131228_021 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 2-01-14 23:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry - it was not my intention to cause such outbursts. Embarassed I was simply posing a question about the lifts in Menuires from 7 years there. There have been no specific reasons given here why the lifts did not open in Menuires (and not other places) until late on Friday 27 Dec after a snowless and windless night... and that is probably my point. To whom is the lift company accountable and who does hold them to account? Maybe if the lift company gave a daily blog and reported the reasons for their actions (ie why each lift/ piste was closed. opened late etc), we would all be more informed and ski more safely. Closing lifts and not giving specific reasons other than 'health and safety' does not help to improve our understanding. Not much to ask for over £40 a day, is it? For those interested, there was one avalanche visible to me in Menuires - to the east of Granges and far away from any pistes.

A simple point about accountability, really - my apologies for any insult/ angst caused. And given the rather loud outbursts from some to an innocent post (only my third) that tried to be positive, this will be my last. Enjoy the fresh snow and au revoir! Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to agree, it would be nice to get a little more information from the lifties.

Took mass 1 yesterday morning, the board was showing that mass 2 was open and the lift was running, ended up waiting for half an hour with many others then I just left. Definitely not the first time it has happened either.

Is an approx opening time and a reason that much to ask for?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A cold and sunny Sunday with some big clouds in the lower valleys. Between 10 and 20 cm fresh snow on the pistes and again a lot of people. Most pistes were mogulfields at the end of the day.

131229_009 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 2-01-14 23:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FionaTwice,

I wasn't going to post again - and with respect to the points about communication improvements - of course you and the others are right - they could and should communicate the reasons for delays better.

However, I reacted strongly because you suggested to use the closed Mauduit piste and 'just ignore the closed sign'. You also seemed to play down the avalanche danger 'far away from any pistes'.

By horrible and unfortunate coincidence the accident that befell Michael Schumacher is being reported to be in the narrow area between Mauduit and La Biche.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/12/30/1388398542054/GraphicLocationofSchumacher.png

Now we don't know the circumstances behind his tragic accident - and it may well have been a freak accident completely unrelated to the snow conditions in the area at the time, and we all hope he gets better, but it shows that when they close pistes they do so for a reason.

Now someone else jumped down my throat for pointing out that maybe you should have been thinking safety rather than inconvenience but I thought that someone suggesting that you should just ignore closed signs should be challenged.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sunny and cold today

131230_015 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-01-14 23:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the updates 123_456, counting down the days now! Anyone else in Les Menuires first week in Feb?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The last day of 2014 was sunny and less cold than the days before.

According to some sources this is the place (red circle) were Schumacher chrashed.

131231_010 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 2-01-14 23:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
happy new year

131231_100 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 2-01-14 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The new year was only one hour old and it started snowing for a short time. The layer of 2-3 cm is not impressive, but the next 5 days there will come more. This first day of 2014 was sunny and cold with some thin high clouds.

140101_019 by 123_456, on Flickr

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-01-14 23:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Snow and fog during the morning. Some bright spots in the afternoon.
About 5 cm fresh snow.

140102_029 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow report
a.j. wrote:
Thanks for the updates 123_456, counting down the days now! Anyone else in Les Menuires first week in Feb?

no sorry we are there 15 Feb [school 1/2 term week...whoppee!] would be great to hear of other SH's in the area Very Happy
snow report
Is there a specific website which gives info on the resort, for the last 3 years we have been to Tignes & enjoyed all the pre-holiday hype etc
snow conditions
thanks for all your views

140103_102 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow conditions
123_456, Happy New Year and thank you, as always, for your exquisite photos. Very Happy
snow conditions
Great photos. Is photography your main business?
snow conditions
michaelbury17 wrote:
Is there a specific website which gives info on the resort, for the last 3 years we have been to Tignes & enjoyed all the pre-holiday hype etc

http://lesmenuires.com/?saison=hiver

also have a look at the val thorens equivalent and meribel etc.
ski holidays
@emwmarine : just a minor hobby
snow conditions
Well pretty damn good results for a hobby.
snow conditions
Light snowfall and sometimes fog

140103_014 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow report
^ love that photo - it looks like someone sieving flour.
snow report
Fog during the whole day and some snowfall during the afternoon. A layer of 5 cm fresh snow and temperatures still around freezing point.

140104_017 by 123_456, on Flickr
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Low hanging clouds that resolved during the morning. The rest of the day sunshine with a complete blue sky. Temperature just below zero and moderate winds during the end of the day.

140105_001 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow report
The day started it little grey, but the weather improved during the afternoon. It is (too) warm for this time of the season. Most pistes are in good shape with the new snow of the last days. I now understand why it is quiet in Kiev, because all of people of the Ukraine are here on the pistes.

140106_018 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow conditions
Am going to Les Menuires for a week this winter, what is the difference between the middle ski pass and the 3 valleys lift pass. I presume Meribel is included in the middle one? Am I right?
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

http://lesmenuires.com/?saison=hiver

also have a look at the val thorens equivalent and meribel etc.

thanks emwmarine will check them out
Little Angel
ski holidays
enfilade wrote:
Am going to Les Menuires for a week this winter, what is the difference between the middle ski pass and the 3 valleys lift pass. I presume Meribel is included in the middle one? Am I right?

No the 'middle one' is probably the vallee des belleville? Val Thorens, Les Menuires and and St Martin de Belleville. For Meribel you need the full 3v pass.
latest report
Beautiful day with a 90% blue sky, some wind and 4 degrees at 3000 meter

140107_021 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow conditions
Springlike conditions continue also this day.

140108_001 by 123_456, on Flickr
snow report
For anyone in and around LM what are on piste conditions like, generally?
snow report
a.j. wrote:
enfilade wrote:

No the 'middle one' is probably the vallee des belleville? Val Thorens, Les Menuires and and St Martin de Belleville. For Meribel you need the full 3v pass.

Thanks for the reply! have managed to convince most the group to get the full 3v pass now.
ski holidays
enfilade wrote:
a.j. wrote:
enfilade wrote:

Thanks for the reply! have managed to convince most the group to get the full 3v pass now.

We tend to go for a pass for the single valley and get extensions for the days where weather and inclination suggests we want to explore further. It can be galling if you pay for a weeks 3v and for several of those days high wind cuts off the links. You can extend on the day.
ski holidays
enfilade, you can also buy group passes now, for 2 or three people. You have to buy the same duration and type (3v or just your valley) and you get a some discount. They must be bought at the same time
ski holidays
more wind, less sunshine, but still too warm

140109_001 by 123_456, on Flickr
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy