Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving up to the next level

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am currently a very average intermediate skier - happy on most reds and will try "easy" blacks. I only manage a week of skiing per year and have had lessons say every 2 - 3 years - usualy a couple of private sessions. Off to Chatel in February and this time I would really like to push myself and improve my technique. The past couple of trips I feel that I have got a bit stuck in a rut and not really improved. I don't like icy runs and I think this is why I'm reluctant to try more blacks as I think this is what I will have to deal with. I am staying in a chalet where they offer ski guiding. I usually only ski with my partner. Will skiing with others help improve my technique. Any suggestions gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Soozy, Skiing with others can be fun, if everyone is at much the same level of skills. Black runs need not be icy, it all depends on the conditions in your resort. Often, the red runs can be more icy as they can become over used and worn, less skiers on the black run! I would like to suggest that you contact a good ski teacher who can build up your confidence and skill level at the same time. Have a chat with easiski on this forum Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Soozy, take some lessons, either in small groups, or 1 on 1. It may cost more to have a private or small group lesson, but that's more likely to help than skiing with others and picking up their bad habits.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Soozy, Your ski guide will probably not be allowed to teach or coach you, it will be a follow my leader job and you will be told the rules of engagement from the off. For example if he she goes off piste then you can do so but at your own risk.

Get a few one one on one lessons in the mornings, try to book the same ski instructor for continuity and tell them what you want to achieve.

Then enjoy - which is the main objective IMHO.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Soozy, there is a very good well established Ecole de Ski International (ESI) in Chatel, book a couple of private lessons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soozy, I don't know if he's still there, but there was a fantastic teacher at the International Ski School in Chatel called Stefan Renard. He worked with us for one season, speaks brilliant English, and we were all incredibly impressed with him. http://www.essi-chatel.com. They don't seem to have a list of instructors, but you can contact them from the site and ask. If he's still there and you get lessons with him, please ask him to send me back the Runrig tapes I lent him about 10 years ago!!!! Shocked Shocked

Ski-ing with the guide may help your general confidence but is unlikely to help your technique. I'm afraid the only way off the plateau is to learn your way off it. Sad

have fun Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll definately have some more lessons this time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Soozy, Lesson first thing, find out where the chalet host is stopping for lunch, meet them for scran and practise the techniques you learnt in the morning whilst not having to worry where to go, what lift to catch etc etc. We always take up the any hosting offered, even if not every day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find that most people don't like this or that about a type of condition because they can't really handle it and this is understandable. Getting a technique - maybe the wrong word here - and thereafter the confidence on ice will enhance your skiing because you can go to all those places and then not bother about what run you are on or what nick it is in because it is the most direct route to where you really want to go..

You can do this by watching how better skiers do it, or have a lesson to be coached how to do it but you can't do it by avoiding it.
Getting of the intermidate plateau - you don't sound like an interdiate to me - is all about getting off the plateau. Mind, body and soul..!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plenty of ice to practise on at chatel too, perfect Toofy Grin aj xx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a quick one - do ppl prefer to edge their way over small amounts of ice or to flatten their skis and slide over it before re-engaging the snow again?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, Don't know about peeps generally, but I always counsel that it depends on if it's really water ice. If it is you won't be able to grip anyway so there's no point in trying. Just go with it and control speed and direction when you hit the snow patch on the other side. If the whole run is like that - go home! If it's granular ice (such as you get early on a summer's morning) then you can actually ski normally. The worst thing to do, and the hardest not to, is to tense up and try to "resist". That's doomed to failure!

ajhainey, Of course Chatel village is quite low, so you're bound to get ice in the springtime, however you can get icy conditions anywhere at any time, so don't judge a resort by one visit (I know you don't).

A reminder for the less experienced skiers: you get ice when it's warm, and more ice lower down as it's the melt and re-freeze which causes it. The higher you go, the less likelihood of finding it. North facing shaded slopes will get less ice than south facing sunny slopes for the same reason.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, it's good to hear from a professional that I'm doing the correct thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Cheers. I've been doing almost the same thing today - mountain biking in an old quarry and hitting big frozen puddles. If you just relax and get used to the bike sliding it's amazing how well you can ride on ice - just don't try to change direction on it hehehe. That reminds me of something I read by Sally Chapman - if you skid in a car on ice you go with it until the wheels grip and then turn/control the vehicle... do the same on skis. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy