Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
sah, there's another thread by Freddie Paellahead I think asking a similar question a few weeks ago. Some good tips on there. (Sorry, I'd hunt it out but I'm not on the laptop)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, if you're in Selva then going up to Seceda and taking the long run down to Ortisei is always one to do. The runs back from Seceda into Santa Cristina are also good fun and a bit different from elsewhere on the Sella
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I heard the russians have planed an invation around Sella from the 1st of february to the 8th of february, but will luckily be gone home the week after. Toofy Grin

Looking forward too see the new possible shortcut in Araba.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SteveM, anything apart from "Courchevel style" motorways really Happy Steeper stuff, trees, nice mountain restaurants and no crowds would be the priority, not necessarily in that order.

If we skied, say, to Arraba from Selva is there enough time to explore slopes there and still get back (either completing the Sella Ronda or back the way we came)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, will check it out, thanks.

pokemon, sounds good, will take a look at that.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-01-14 9:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sah, Selva to Arabba via Corvara you could do by coffee stop time. All motorway pistes both ways to get there though, and lift addicts anonymous to get back (on that side of the loop).

Portovescovo side has the steeper runs. No idea about off piste (but quite a few Birthday Bashers will do).

From Arabba, we've managed to go out to Marmolada, do the glacier run, come back and continue the full Sella Ronda loop (had intended going off to play around Campitello-Selva, and just said may as well continue round).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers andy, sounds like I am overestimating the distances a bit then Happy So, we could probably get to Marmolada from Selva without too much stress by the sounds of it?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sah, yup, no problems. More interesting going the other way though via the Canazei side, and saves a walk thru Arabba too, which is a bonus.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy,

True about the walking, but more going on the other way IMV. But then, I've seen so much of the Selva area over the years, it's as fimiliar as my home village. Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sah, here's the thread from earlier:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104940
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freddie Paellahead, perfect! Thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
be interested to know how useful the 2 new lifts are in arabba (i think you can now shortcut canazei-marmolada without going up the gondola?) (edit: by 2 new lifts, i mean last year's new lift and this year's new lift).

I can kinda see how that works, up the two new lifts to the bottom of that steepish pitch that comes down from the double gondola, then under the gondola and drop down to the top of the left hand gondola
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The orange sella Ronda is higher and sportier. More skiing,less lifts.
I really liked the 'super 8'. It takes in cinque torri and Lagazuoi.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, the disadvantage of doing Marmolada from somewhere like Selva is that there may well be lots of people ahead of you and there is no way to tell how much of a queue you'll get at the cable car. So you can end up spending a fair amount of time there. On the other hand those of us in Arabba can get over there nice and quick first thing in the morning. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So here's a photo of the bottom station of the new lift in Pont De Vauz putting it in relation to the other lift

And the view from the top of the lift

Whilst it's not immediately obvious in that picture above, you can ski down to the 'new lift' number 9 and take that so that as andy rightly said when coming around the green run you can get across to the route to the Marmolada via both chairs. The down side is that for weaker skiers rather than a nice flat 'gree' run back to Arabba it dumps you onto a steeper and bumpy but wide red run - so you need to leave a little in the tank to get down that - not as bad as the steepest section down from Boe to Campobongo but not far off and with lots of mogul potential. I guess you can probably still cross the road rather than taking the lift, and down the flat track (that's still open as a return route) but when we were there it would have involved wading through waist deep snow

Also there's a new magic carpet at the top of Boe - doesn't really do much but gets you up onto the hummock behind the cafe bar and it makes the pole fest across to the red or access to Vallon slightly less onerous - perhaps it was put in for boarders

there's also a new restaturant at Burz (top of the lift out of the village heading towards Campobongo) - didn't try it but it looks like it might be a sunnier location for Apres than the gloomy Boe

Oh and as this is a snow report - this is the snow above Arabba on Wednesday
snow conditions
Nice. Making a great ski area even better. Not sure about the need for a travellator up near Vallon though. If people can't trek 30 yards up a slight incline then that is a worry.
snow report
http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/reviews/Had_an_excellent_week_staying_in_Campitello_di_Fassa_in_mid-January_2007._S/
ski holidays
That Boe magic carpet has been there before, but iirc wasn't last year.
NB If that red that the magic carpet leads to is carnage (may well be at the end of the day in powder), then turn left towards Corvara at top of Boe gondola (ie the "wrong" way), and hang a right immediately on the lower side of that huge rocky bit. Skips the narrow bumpy bit, that beginners don't like.
snow conditions
The 11.30 webcam photo from the Portovescovo Hotel in Arabba is showing heavy snow......... Smile

(Tuesday 14/01)
snow report
Will be in Arabba from 15 to 22 Feb with a group of friendly families. Looking for a ski instructor for lessons for beginner kids group and an adult beginner group. Any recommendations?
Still need to book our transfer for 15 from Venice as we can unfortunately not do Dolomiti stars (timing wrong) so recommends there also appreciated.
Very happy about any snow...
ski holidays
albob wrote:
The 11.30 webcam photo from the Portovescovo Hotel in Arabba is showing heavy snow......... Smile

(Tuesday 14/01)

Now they're just getting greedy! How about sharing some of that white stuff with the rest of the Alps snowHead
snow report
sah, My list of "things to do" in no particular order....

Blackss/reds on the face descending into Arabba (Portavescovo side).
Vallon (above Passo Campolungo) down to Passo Campolungo - preferably later in the day when fewer on the top part and some more challenging" bumps on the lower part but try not to miss the last lift out like I did one year!
Alba run down from top of cablecar back to the bottom of it.
Gran Risa down to La Villa, preferably first off in the day (as I managed last year by chance).
A few rounds of the runs below Mont De Seura accessed by chairlift from Monte Pana - never any queues and hardly any people, one run is sometimes left unpisted at the top.
Cir down all the way to the bottom (from top of Dantercepies bubble) make sure you do the bottom part as well.
Sasslong.
The Ciampinoi descent can be fun.

Plus lots of the other stuff for cruising and enjoying - especially like to warm up out of Arabba by a good descent into Campolungo and then down into Corvara - the bad news then being lots of lifts up to Passo Gardena.

But as others have said, there is so much, just love it ....
Cinque Torre, Lagazuoi, Seceda, ....
snow report
+1 for Gran Risa to La Villa. God I could do another week there.
ski holidays
Juddernaut, a week? i could stay all season. Smile Stunning place.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 15-01-14 22:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yep, will try to do a season in a few years. Off to Zermatt in a few weeks. Will be interesting to compare.
snow conditions
Juddernaut, scenery wise Zermatt is also stunning, skiing great too. Enjoy:)
snow report
Back from a long weekend in Seiseralm. We skied there and also around St Ulrich/ Ortisei and the Gardena valley. This is probably my seventh or eighth time to the region and the snow conditions were the best I've had as an on piste skier. Perfect grippy snow everywhere, with no slush in the afternoon - no doubt now augmented by the good snowfall they had yesterday. Anyone going out there soon will have a ball.
snow report
pjd, more snow forecast for tomorrow too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5 weeks Saturday seems a long while. Is Seiseralm for the day realistic from
Arabba. It's one of the areas I've not been to yet.
snow report
It's a long fast day out. We managed it via Ortisei, where you'll need a taxi across town, and then a bus through the forest from Saltria to Monte Pana. That bus ride is exciting. We timed our lunch stop to fit in with the bus times, else realistically it would have been tight getting back. Going via Monte Pana and both ways on the bus may be quicker?
latest report
You don't really need a taxi across Ortisei, it's only a 10 minute walk in ski boots from the end of the Secada run to the gondola.

Bus ride through forest from Saltria is great fun Smile
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Back from a long weekend in Seiseralm. This is probably my seventh or eighth time to the region and the snow conditions were the best I've had as an on piste skier. Perfect grippy snow everywhere, with no slush in the afternoon - no doubt now augmented by the good snowfall they had yesterday. Anyone going out there soon will have a ball.

Thanks pjd, we're going out to Canazei at the weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, I don't know what you think you're doing missing the Birthday Bash by just a couple of weeks! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Pedantica, +1
snow conditions
3 weeks and 2 days until I head to Selva for the first time! Very Happy Looking at snow reports for other places looks like we have chosen well!
snow report
Sorry, Pedantica and Hells Bells, the group we're going with (which I don't organise) has a regular week in Canazei - and this year, with our eldest getting married, I'm afraid the overdraft will only extend to one ski holiday Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, excuses, excuses. wink
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:
5 weeks Saturday seems a long while. Is Seiseralm for the day realistic from
Arabba. It's one of the areas I've not been to yet.

We were staying in Kastelruth, right at the far end of Seiseralm and managed a day out in Canazei, so not too far from Arraba. Mind you we abandoned a chunk of the return journey having been distracted by early apres ski at the Luiskeller in Selva. Taxi back later!
snow report
MCL wrote:
3 weeks and 2 days until I head to Selva for the first time! Very Happy Looking at snow reports for other places looks like we have chosen well!

Me too.
snow conditions
It just keeps on snowing and looks like it will continue to do so for next 4 days.
http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/schneebericht/

Meanwhile just to the north of the alpine ridge
http://www.bergfex.com/ellmau/schneebericht/ Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy