Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Courtesy of the Treviso Chronicle -- and Bing translator Smile
dated 15/11/13

"..It's snowing in the Dolomites from 1000 meters up. Heavy rain in the Valley last night, at high altitudes has become thick snow. From 10 to 30 centimeters of snow have already fallen on all locations of the Dolomites above 1000-1200 meters.

The Avalanche Centre of Arabba issued a press release with the snow height measured at 8 this morning: Casera Coltrondo-Monte Croce Comelico 23 cms of snow; Monte Piana 26 cm, Ra Vales above Cortina, Falzaregopass 34 cm 22 cm, 6 cm, Sappada Padola 1 cm, 2 cm. Sample local Agordo Dolomites from 30 cm to mark the Col dei Baldi, 24 in Tall Mountains above Arabba, Ornella 20 to Malga Losch, 18 cm to Arabba, 16 in Pecol di Zoldo. In Falcade 2 centimeters.

It snowed in pre-Alpine Palantina in Alpago with 10 cm, Faverghera on Nevegal where at 8 this morning, there are already 13 cm. Obligation to chains or snow tires on the roads of Belluno....."

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-01-14 14:16; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there,

Thanks for the post about snow in the dolomites, we're heading out in January, and it's nice to see a snow report from the Dolomites finally Very Happy

Please keep the reports coming anyone who's out there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been gently snowing for a few days but the dump(ette) was due to that cyclone that messed up sardinia
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dusting of new snow this morning and very cold air again. Looks like most of the sella Ronda has now been open a week. Probably an excellent Christmas option now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and Dantercepies should be running today (not sure if it's just today and then fully from next weekend, or fully from today), but afaict the tunnel to link the green path which drops down to the road hasn't been prepared yet.
sella ronda is otherwise open in both directions apparently.

some photos of the evacuation exercise on funivie.org (haven't found or checked that other thread yet)
http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/thumbnails.php?album=319
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, I've just been checking the webcams, and the dantercepies is indeed running -- The Ronda is fully open in both directions... !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent Cool

I'm not going for aaages, but white webcams will get me through Groundhog Day... I mean Christmas Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet,

First time I have heard Christmas described as GroungHog day -- but thinking about it :: Very apt !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Selva on Saturday. Snow situation looks dire. Any words of comfort? Alternatives? Is the rest of Dolomiti Superski easily accessible?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dire?
every webcam I've seen looks pretty white, and the entire Sella Ronda area is open. Might not be waist deep powder.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to the snow reports I've seen, it hasn't snowed since November 23 and there's only 40 cm on the upper slopes and 10 on the lower with no appreciable falls in prospect. Makes me a bit worried about conditions as the crowds start to arrive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's a load of webcams - doesn't look too bad

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=webcam&se=E

Snow showers forecast Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One year, it was +8C in the Sella Ronda in February, and hadn't snowed for 6 weeks. It was all perfectly skiable.
If it starts raining, and the resort is green with white stripes, then I'd start to worry.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like epic amounts falling in the Brenta Dolomites, specifically looking at Madonna Di Campiglio as I'm there in three weeks snowHead snowHead

http://www.campiglio.it/webcam/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ishay wrote:
Looks like epic amounts falling in the Brenta Dolomites, specifically looking at Madonna Di Campiglio as I'm there in three weeks snowHead snowHead

http://www.campiglio.it/webcam/

That look great !
snow report
A metre and a half of new snow in Arabba.
snow report
Quote:

A metre and a half of new snow in Arabba.

Shocked snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Back from a very enjoyable if somewhat windy week in Val T, is it too soon to start obsessing over the Dolomites snow for the bashes? snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

is it too soon to start obsessing over the Dolomites snow for the bashes?

yes, I'm going to have a two week break from obsessing, and will then start with renewed enthusiasm.
latest report
Not too soon for me. We're heading to Corvara on the 6th Jan. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
erica2004, well it sounds like you should be sitting very pretty with such massive new snowfall. Have fun. snowHead
snow report
I've got to wait 2 weeks longer than erica2004. I find webcam studying is obligatory.
snow conditions
Corvara.....and Glencoe...look to have some of the most snow in europe right now courtesy of cool zonality across the uk and that big depression which pushed saturated air on southerly winds into the dollies last week. snowHead
latest report
Had a request to rename this thread to encompass 'the dollies'..... = done !

And it was snowing in Selva yesterday - I could see the snow-flakes on the webcams.......... Smile
snow report
Snow depths in Arabba considerably more than that in Canazei, yet only a mountain or two split them! I'm off to the Dolomites for the first time (Canazei) mid March so i'll be keeping a close eye on this thread until then. Very Happy
ski holidays
albob, it looked like it was snowing lightly in Canazei too which should freshen things up. Arabba does seem to get more of the white stuff looking at historical data!
latest report
albob, it looked like it was snowing lightly in Canazei too which should freshen things up. Arabba does seem to get more of the white stuff looking at historical data!
snow report
good news -- I am in arraba February (after the Bash!!) -- depths are looking good there, they seem to have more than else where (selva/canazei)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been looking for a decent piste map of the whole Sella Ronda / Dolomites and can't seem to find anything decent. I have come across the 3D maps, which IMO are fantastic to get a good understanding of your location within the ski area.

http://www.realitymaps.de/index.php?id=1235&L=1
snow report
What a fantastic resources those 3d maps are !

is this link any good for the sella map

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Italy/DolomitiSuperski/SellaRonda.aspx

it is in the style of the paper one I have
latest report
Liam wrote:
I've been looking for a decent piste map of the whole Sella Ronda / Dolomites and can't seem to find anything decent. I have come across the 3D maps, which IMO are fantastic to get a good understanding of your location within the ski area.

Liam

It's almost impossible to get it all on one map - they print each map in sections and number them - I've currently got the following in my back pack for a trip tomorrow

1 - Cortina
3 - Alta Badia
4 - Selva/Val Gardena
5 - Val Di Fassa

I don't know where 2 and 6 are - I've never got to those bits of the dolomites (I guess!)

On the back of them all is the sella ronda map you've linked too.
snow report
bertie bassett,

2 is Kronplatz and 6 is Arabba/Marmolada. The following pdf shows all 12 numbered valleys

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skimap-2013-14/pan_dolomiti_superski_520_1.pdf
snow report
Just had a look at the Arabba webcams. Very cloudy and what looks like solid white stuff falling from the sky. Bring on the Snowheads Bash snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 4-01-14 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
more white stuff?
saw lots of white roofs, including that of the Bellavista. Usually that has a clear roof compared to other hotels due to excessive heating bills.
snow report
Happy days it's dumping again...
latest report
about 14k from cortina snowing heavily. Taken 3 hours from VCE so far... (via SMS)
snow conditions
loads of snow in cortina but all passes closed towards dolomites. Camp bed in village hall I hope (via SMS)
ski holidays
Ouch, that's not good. Hope it works out tomorrow.

My dad's been going to the Dolomites for 12 years and he's not sure he's seen it as deep as this until march and even then on a good year.

I've been going the last 4 years and certainly haven't.
snow report
Cortina express put us on my smaller bus and having gone back almost to VCE then fed us in obe of back road passes which was still open. Arrived via arabba which is hugely snowy then passo campobong. 9 hours total transfer time. Pow bettet be worth it.
latest report
bertie bassett, gone back for another hit after last march? The dollies are always worth it-I'm very envious. Have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy