Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
wow that's kind of a scenic route.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett, Despite the transfer, I'm well jel'. Santa Croce should be amazing with all this snow. Put up some pics when you have time.
nickH, +1
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arrived here fairly late this afternoon due to ............ all the snow that's been falling today. Toofy Grin
Looks real pretty.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arrived colfosco 2 am big back road sniggle. Great day today knee deep powder on piste everywhere. Needs to cool a little as lower rubs sticky. (via SMS)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gosh. I hope it gets/stays cool for another few weeks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, go on, rub it in then !! Madeye-Smiley
first time in the last 7 years I'm not heading to the region & it has some of the best snow in europe !!
the masochist in me will continue to read the post anyway snowHead
enjoy!
( not sure about sticky lower rubs though Shocked )
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickH, sorry to add salt etc but I'm off back to Arabba in 7 weeks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, cheers for the heads up on the maps. Sounds like you've had a bit of a journey, but good to hear you didnt miss any skiing for it. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amaze balls today. Knee deep pow on piste. Pretty iffy visibility but just adds to fun. Some stuff was not open due to avalnche risk eg the red from the top of boe towards campobongo, nor the black just up from there

Will try to get photies tomorrow. Plan is santa croce if the weather is nice. Always a good trip
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pokemon, salt, pepper & vinegar !!
(As an aside, seems our mutual friend, ex arabba, is about to board a yacht to sail to the Caribbean from Cape Town . Does say she's missing the skiing though !!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ, you not coming to the Dolomites this year?

Just 3 weeks to go now for me, then I enjoy a fortnight there. Hope it stays in good nic!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SteveM, Afraid I missed out on a spot...the BB filled up quickly this year Shocked
It's a double shame coz I've improved my carving and I might have been able to keep up with y'all.
I couldn't think of a better place to spend 2 weeks skiing....maybe next season eh?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett,

Which hotel are you using in Colfosco ?? -- I have often gone past it wondering what it would be like to stay there (including the Caravan park between Corvara and Colfosco.......... Wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob, hotel jagerhof pretty much adjacent to the bridge so pretty much ski in/out for a reasonable blue run skier
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With these mouth watering reports I'm thinking of a quick trip next week; how easy is it to get to the area from Munich? I was thinking of the direct train to Bolzano then the 350 bus up to Selva. Only trouble is that bus leaves Selva train station 1 minute after the train is due to arrive... has anyone used that route, does the bus wait for the train by any chance? Any local tips for where to stay (fairly cheaply) and how to get there would be gratefully received Happy
latest report
sah, apparently the Kronplatz area is reachable by train from Innsbruck. If you base there, you can ski that area and also get to Sella Ronda.
Or take Cortina Express from Innsbruck to get into the Corvara/Colfosco area?
You could look at Mountainsun place in San Cassiano as a reasonably priced base - I stayed there last year and really enjoyed it.

ALQ, you could join us on the PBBWUW?
ski holidays
sah, have you looked at going via Waidbruck rather than Bozen/ Bolzano - I think the Waidbruck buses connect with the train and it's a lot closer to Selva. This would probably mean a change if trains at Brenner or somewhere north of Bozen
ski holidays
innsbruck train stops at waidbruck/ponte gardena, and I'd assume the munich one does too. also stops at fortezza for the train link up to Brunico (think the next station after Brunico has direct link in to Kronplatz?)

edit: seems that's no longer the case. they stop at brenner and fortezza, but you need to change at brenner (where I assume they hold the train) for waidbruck.

assuming PreBBWuW happens next year, this is my plan to get there.
ski holidays
SteveM, pjd, andy, thanks! Some very useful options there.
snow conditions
Bluebird day. Lovely on piste conditions. Busy runs mogully in the arvo. Green sella closed only orange open. I guess avalanche risk
latest report
little overcast today. Passo falzargo closed due to avvy risk so no access hidden valley. Time for plan b (via SMS)
snow report
the Russians have discovered the dolomites... (via SMS)
ski holidays
Fingy wrote:

Sadly, this is not news Sad
I have come to the conclusion that is best to avoid any European resort in the week which includes 6th January (Orthodox Christmas)
ski holidays
Fingy wrote:
Indeed. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Strangely, I've never actually seen any cars (well 4x4 with blacked out windows) with RUS reg. plates in the Dolomites. Loads in Austria. Maybe it's just the fact that I ski the first weekend in January after the 6th in Austria, but early Feb in the Dolomites? Always wondered where they actually go, and why they drive what must be several days.
Loads of PL, SK, CZ, SLO, etc. reg. plates though all the time.
snow conditions
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
Fingy wrote:
Indeed. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Laughing
latest report
Just got back from Cortina. The snow was excellent, the traffic and the queues were literally terrible.

We left on Saturday, with snow falling solidly all the way to Innsbruck (we missed the flight and had to carry on to Salzburg).
latest report
Bit off thread but was told by a transfer company before Christmas that Russians are now banned from Hochgurgl and several hotels in Obergurgl.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plan b was the green but with time to do bits round edges. Did danticepres a couple of times. Saslongia and more. Took new lift above arabba. More on that later. Great snow all the way round.
snow conditions
how's the new dantercepies gondola? hear it's a bit of loading chaos and stops quite a bit.

be interested to know how useful the 2 new lifts are in arabba (i think you can now shortcut canazei-marmolada without going up the gondola?) (edit: by 2 new lifts, i mean last year's new lift and this year's new lift).
snow report
andy wrote:
how's the new dantercepies gondola? hear it's a bit of loading chaos and stops quite a bit.

be interested to know how useful the 2 new lifts are in arabba (i think you can now shortcut canazei-marmolada without going up the gondola?) (edit: by 2 new lifts, i mean last year's new lift and this year's new lift).

Theres quite a few changes I've spotted will do a fuller writeup with photos on return as only on phone

Should add snow is some of the best ive ever skied. Soft on the tops very grippy and incredibly consistent so can really committ to the carve with now fear of hard snow. Off piste still looks sketchy as quite warm lots of heat generated sluffing starting to occur hence why access to hidden valley is off.
snow report
Andy wrote

"..be interested to know how useful the 2 new lifts are in arabba (i think you can now shortcut canazei-marmolada without going up the gondola?) (edit: by 2 new lifts, i mean last year's new lift and this year's new lift)...)

these new lifts now show on the 3d reality maps -- they do appear to provide an alternative route to Marmolada ( on the sella green), also saving 'boarders' the slog into arabba !

Regarding the Russians -- I haven't seen many on the slopes, but Innsbruck airport has been chockablock with them for the past two or three years (also with Brits !!!)
ski holidays
albob wrote:

Regarding the Russians --

Our eldest is teaching a group of Russian teenagers this week. The rich type who are sent to snow camp at Xmas rather than be allowed home from boarding school.

We had a text today 'I HATE R******S!!' They are driving her nuts! Razz
snow report
Sad about the Russian invasion in the Dollies. I don't want to stereotype but god they are a rude obnoxious group of people. So bad, I'd rather ski surrounded by the French.....
ski holidays
Not in my experience. Half of those "Russians" actually aren't Wink
The vast majority of rude, obnoxious skiers I've encountered on the piste happen to come from my own native country Evil or Very Mad and french teenage snowbaorders, but they're mainly blocking lift queues smoking, and pretending they own the place.
latest report
Russians here in the Posta Zirm in Corvara. We've had a lovely day skiing the Sellaronda with the owner of the hotel. I've never been around the route so fast Very Happy
The snow on piste is fabulous.
latest report
SteveM wrote:
ALQ, you could join us on the PBBWUW?

Hmmm....an interesting idea Little Angel
latest report
Great day skiing from selva. Done the whole sella Ronda orange today. Really good snow from top to bottom. Skiied kitzbuhel yesterday and conditions there where far removed from the Dolomites hence the road trip. We have decided to stay here for 3 days so tomorrow will ski the green sella Ronda. Might even get to the hidden valley.
ski holidays
Great to hear, I'll be out in Selva next week. Any tips for the best places to ski? I posted a message in another thread about guiding, but if we don't do that are there any "must do" runs for a short trip? Was thinking of the Sella Ronda if only to get oriented in the area - is that better one way or the other? It sounds like everywhere is in great condition.
latest report
sah, the key thing is not just to stay on the Ronda but to get off it on one of the side bits and enjoy much less busy skiing.
As to must do, what sort of thing do you like?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy