Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ITALY : Dolomites/Selva/Canazei/Arabba 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, any recommendations for a guide near Canazei?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very large amounts of snow modelled for the end of the week again!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Peter S, will be glued to this thread daily until Saturday!

HeidiAmsterdam, your hut-to-hut trip sounds great - thanks for all the info and please keep us posted.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just purchased new backpacks for three of us...aiming to have max of 6 kilo on back...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing heavily again tonight.

What is it about the west coast of Scotland and the Dolomites this year Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S,

yep - just checked the webcams, and the al forte hotel one is completely covered in snow (like someone threw a snowball at it !!) Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well bergfex, gfs and the met office seem to agree on the one and a half feet plus of snow that could fall this week. Can someone turn the snow tap off now so that we can have some sun Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Can someone turn the snow tap off now so that we can have some sun

+1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+2
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+3 (it can snow overnight, once we've got there!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry Andy - bit selfish of me, we dont go until Feb 9th and am hoping for a loads of snow! We're actually off to Selva but there doesnt seem to be a specific thread for it so have been checking this Arabba one. It looks like there might be more snow in Arabba but hopefully Selva will be good too - anybody know if it tends to be better in Arabba or am I reading too much into the webcam images?

We never really considered the dolomites before this year but now I've read up about it a bit I think it sounds great, we are looking forwards to finally trying somewhere new - usually go to France or the Arlberg so will be interesting to compare!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow should be much the same all across the area. and by all accounts, there's more than plenty, with more on the way. maybe arabba gets a fraction more.
the scenery is stunning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let it snow! It's a few weeks yet till I'm out there, though I do appreciate the desire for some sun and will be booking it in advance Cool. I'm not expecting it to have all melted by the time I go though – with the quantities this year I'm not at all concerned.

nickbuckers, Selva will be fine – with Italian slop grooming, you probably won't notice the difference on piste between Selva and Arabba.
Webcams here: http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/val-gardena/ski-area/weather-slopes/webcams

Selva is a bit more Austrian, foodwise, than say Canazei, which is more Italian. Hot chocolate and a slab of tiramisu is my favourite afternoon snack.
The lift system is very good, but the map is more of an ornament – signposts are ok though. Enjoy your trip snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nickbuckers,

Arabba usually gets more snow than Selva

There is a 'historical' chart on the neilsons ski site (follow links and scroll down to bottom of page) :: I've included a link to the St Anton page just so we can have laugh Smile Embarassed

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/italy/arabba

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/italy/selva-and-st-christina

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/austria/st-anton

......................and I've even edited the thread title for you..................................!!
ski holidays
Cheers everyone - looks like we picked the right year to skip the Arlberg and chuffed we now have a Selva thread to follow/obsess over for the next couple of weeks!

Webcams look good too, thanks

Out of interest don't suppose anybody has any reccomendations on good ski schools in Selva for a toddler's first go on skis?
snow conditions
nickbuckers wrote:
Cheers everyone - looks like we picked the right year to skip the Arlberg and chuffed we now have a Selva thread to follow/obsess over for the next couple of weeks!

Webcams look good too, thanks

Out of interest don't suppose anybody has any reccomendations on good ski schools in Selva for a toddler's first go on skis?

Selva 2000 were good for us a few years back http://www.scuolasci-selva.it/en/
snow report
pjd, thanks - will check them out
snow report
albob, Two spelling mistakes in it now rolling eyes
snow report
Scarlet, Embarassed Embarassed

"ma, io non parlo italiano......" Wink

fixed it................................................

(I was going to say, thats how the Ladins spell the names of the villages ; but thought someone might catch me out ! Toofy Grin )
snow report
Is Arabba more Austrian or more Italian?
snow report
erm... bit of both (hotel dinner menu all in italian, hotel beer in german, local shops italian)

edit: but then the Rifugio Boe (half way down the last piste home) to me is Austrian.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 29-01-14 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Its not usual to go through 3 languages in a conversation Smile
latest report
Quote:

pjd, The other main ski school in Selva - http://www.scuolasciselva.com/en/ - were fabulous with our 3 and 5 year olds last year and we're using them again this year. (although all arranged through the TO - Esprit)

They had small class sizes of 3-6 kids (although that may have been because it was essentially a private lesson for the Esprit kids) but we didn't see any massive groups and the instructors were endlessly patient with the sprogs.

Their emphasis is firmly on fun. Our 5-y-o had a bad experience the year before with a very strict and unpleasant ski school (elsewhere in the alps) and was not keen on skiing again but they were so good with him that he won a gold medal in the races at the end of the week and came down the red under Dantercepies with us. This year he can't wait to go back for full-day lessons

Meanwhile our 3-y-o was on skis for the first time and had a ball - mainly she wanted to eat snow and build snowmen but eventually they did encourage her to go up the magic carpet and down the little slope in the kindergarten type area but they had to put a big pile of snow at the end for her to crash into (and eat!)

The year before (elsewhere...), that sort of behaviour had elicited complaints to us from the ski school that our kids were unteachable, didn't listen, wouldn't cooperate etc and we were expecting to get ticked off again for having unruly children but the instructor simply said, "What do you expect?, She's 3 years old and having fun!"

Anyway, we're back there again at 1/2 term - just over two weeks to go! - and the over-riding factor in the repeat booking was the ski school (although the food, scenery, atmosphere - everything about the Dolomites really - will keep us going back there every year)
snow conditions
PamW,
I'm never really sure - I get the impression (language wise) that it is more Italian. While skiing the area, stopping in one mountain hut, you will hear the staff speaking German ; stop at one just over the hill, and the staff are speaking Italian !

I speak a little German and Italian, but I always try my Italian in the dolomites ("When in Rome....."). Most people you will come across speak both (and a lot speak Ladin)

Infrastructure etc - it is definitely Austrian! :: I usually describe the area to someone who has never been there as - Austrian efficiency combined with Italian cuisine and style !!
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
Its not usual to go through 3 languages in a conversation Smile

don't you mean "..not UNusual.." !!
snow report
tiffin, or 2 at the same time, and refusal to let a German resident and a German native order in German, cos she'd overheard us speaking English.

Managed English, German and Dutch in one conversation once, just ordering coffee.

And one that seemingly didn't know a word of English or German.
snow conditions
Quote:

Austrian efficiency combined with Italian cuisine and style !!

Smile I like that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob, Yeah, amazing how much difference an Un makes Embarassed
snow conditions
albob wrote:
PamW,
I'm never really sure - I get the impression (language wise) that it is more Italian. While skiing the area, stopping in one mountain hut, you will hear the staff speaking German ; stop at one just over the hill, and the staff are speaking Italian !

I speak a little German and Italian, but I always try my Italian in the dolomites ("When in Rome....."). Most people you will come across speak both (and a lot speak Ladin)

Infrastructure etc - it is definitely Austrian! :: I usually describe the area to someone who has never been there as - Austrian efficiency combined with Italian cuisine and style !!

The Austro-Italian blend makes the South Tyrol truly fascinating. In Bruneck, by Kronplatz, I got talking to a bunch of local guys in a bar about how they viewed things. They were all native German speakers and said that in the South Tyrol region as a whole the native German speakers outnumber the native Italian speakers by almost 3:1, more so outside of the 'capital' Bozen. None of the guys I spoke to wanted full independence for the South Tyrol (too small) nor to be re-united with Austria (they have now been apart for almost a 100 years) but all wanted even greater autonomy from Italy which they regarded almost as a foreign country and of which they had a lot of distrust. Interestingly they all supported F C Bayern.

Val Gardena has a big Ladin speaking majority - hence the more mixed feel. Kronplatz definitely feels German - Bruneck has an 80% + German speaking population. Arabba to me feels more Italian, as does Canazei although they too have a majority Ladin speaking population. Canazei though is in the province of Trentino rather than Südtirol. Not sure re Arabba.

I speak German whenever I go but my Italian is crap anyway!
latest report
Does anyone have any input on the forecast for this weekend? Seems like a LOT of snow is coming that way. I'm landing in Milan on Sun morn and driving to Selva. Think there might be issues with the last 10km from the highway to Selva? Possibility of lots of lifts being closed Monday? Thanks
ski holidays
a2thak wrote:
Does anyone have any input on the forecast for this weekend? Seems like a LOT of snow is coming that way. I'm landing in Milan on Sun morn and driving to Selva. Think there might be issues with the last 10km from the highway to Selva? Possibility of lots of lifts being closed Monday? Thanks

Looks like the snow will be petering out on Sunday but I'd hire snow chains and winter tyres if you can find any agencies that rent cars with these - I assume you are hiring.
snow conditions
Yes I am. Does Italy require car hires to have winter tires like the Swiss do?
ski holidays
Arabba is Veneto I think.

I tend to use German everywhere, rather than Italian, but can do either if necessary. Unless it's bombardino / calimero or pizza.
ski holidays
A rather ridiculous 90 cms being forecast at short range and VALLEY level over the next 4 days.
http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/wetter/prognose/
That's glencoe quantities !
snow report
Arabba is now in the province of Belluno in the Veneto region, but was part of the historic County of Tyrol and part of Austria until 1918. The locals speak their Fodom dialect of Ladin among themselves...and Italian, German or English, in that order, to everyone else.

A fascinating place to visit because of the different cultures and foods, as well as the spectacular scenery and extensive skiing!
latest report
a2thak wrote:
Yes I am. Does Italy require car hires to have winter tires like the Swiss do?

Nope, the areas on the Po plain where the airports of Milan, Verona, Venice, etc are located generally get very little snowfall, you can ask but I suspect the best you'll get is some chains.

It will have to be pretty extreme conditions for the Val Gardena valley road up to Selva to be badly affected, it is plowed and gritted constantly in bad weather. They can't afford not to keep that road passable. Once you get to Selva it may be a different matter getting up steeper side roads to your hotel if there has been a heavy snowfall.

Looking at snow-forecast (I know it isn't 100% reliable), most of the snow is predicted for Thursday night down to 1000m with freeze levels then rising up to 1600-1800m which will mean rain and slush for the roads over the weekend, I reckon you'll be OK.
snow conditions
Thanks for the language and other info - fascinating. I am learning Italian so it will be a good opportunity to try a bit! My German is O level half a century ago and I can only remember useless stuff like a list of prepositions which take the dative..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Is Arabba more Austrian or more Italian?

Not much in it. In my experience, it's a family thing. In Selva families are either Ladin/German or Ladin/Italian. Ortesei is defo on the Germanic side.

Incidently, Giorgio Moroder, disco producer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Moroder is from Ortesei, or as my pal pronounces it 'Orteezy'. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
jma, thanks for the reply. We are going with esprit so sounds very encouraging. Reason I asked is actually that our littlest is just shy of 3yrs old and can't do the esprit classes until 3. We think he'd like to have a little go (will be envious of his big sister) and am wondering about asking the ski school locally if they'd do a little lesson or two with h. I guess we will ask in resort with the same school that esprit uses - they sound great!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy