Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Val Claret parking advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm all sorted for a week in Val Claret but just need some advice regarding parking for a friend who is joining me mid week.

He is already in France in his motorhome and wants to know if he can park in the big outdoor car park opposite the apartment in Val Claret. His concern is that being a motorhome that he won't be allowed top park their or will be moved on.

To make it clear, he won't be staying in the motorhome, just using it as his means of transport to arrive and then park for 4 days while staying in the apartment across the road.

Does anyone know what the situation is in this circumstance?

I emailed the parking people via the Tignes website, but their reply was simply "no motorhome parking". But I recall seeing vans etc parked up in there last year?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Free parking in Tignes Le Brev, park up and drive down, lift back up
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

This site gives useful info for skiers with motorhomes:
Motorhomeski.com - Tignes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:
Free parking in Tignes Le Brev, park up and drive down, lift back up

Hi, I've looked into this but the ski lifts are not running from Le Brev until they guesstimate the 20th Dec when the full area opens. So does that mean the buses won't be running that low until then as well?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jph123, sorry not sure, tourist info should be able to help
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't help with when the lift starts, but there are no buses down to Les Brev at all, ever. You always have to take a lift up from Les Brev as far as 1800 before you can get a bus.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone that is handy to know that Les Brev is not on the bus route. That could have made for a big mistake re parking otherwise.

Cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There used to be parking down at Les Boisses (near the dam), but not sure what is available these days, but the shuttle bus runs as far as this.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's handy to know, thank you.

Does anyone know if the buses to 1800 start on the opening day of the 30th Nov?

I know people keep referring me to the tourist info, but every question regarding parking is answered with a maybe, probably, perhaps etc, I feel I'm getting the Gaelic shrug via email from them!

So historically do the buses go to 1800 from opening day?

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There used to be parking down at Les Boisses (near the dam), but not sure what is available these days, but the shuttle bus runs as far as this.

When I stayed in Les Boisses earlier this year, what used to be the large free parking area was all being built over by the new development. There were very limited parking spots scattered around. Not sure if there is a new public parking area as part of the 1800 development, as a lot of it was still fenced off and under construction back in March.

As the navettes (shuttle buses) are covered by your lift pass, I imagine they would run from opening day like everything else? Have you checked on the resort website? That normally has the bus timetables published on it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The car park charging starts soon. However at this stage in the season (when there is not so many cars and people), the rules are usually more flexible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
When I stayed in Les Boisses earlier this year, what used to be the large free parking area was all being built over by the new development
IIRC that area was never an official free parking area but the authorities seemingly turned a blind eye...

However, for quite a few years we have used the official free car park that was down the road from where they are building all the new apartments at Tignes 1800 - ie first exit at the roundabout after the dam; follow the road in front of the new apartments; take the right turn that goes down the hill (may be the 2nd right?) - and the free parking is at the bottom of the hill - right next to the Les Boisses gondola. On a cautionary note, the road down to the car park can be very snowy and may require chains to get back up. Also, last winter, we were snowed in at the end of our stay and joined four or five other car park users to clear the road out of the car park. It's worth skiing down towards the end of your stay to check on conditions and (as we did) clear a foot of snow from off and around the car....Still better than €75 for a week's parking though wink.

I recently e mailed the tourist office and, far from receiving a Gallic shrug, was advised that 'There is still free parking at Tignes 1800.'

I am fairly sure that the buses to/from Tignes 1800 run from early in the season. Regardless, the connection by ski lift is easy enough if you can time your parking to coincide with ski lift opening times.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't count too much on free parking in 1800! There is not even enough place for the residents. There will be a police office at 1800 this winter, and there will be active towing! The parking to the left in 1800 (arriving from the dam) is reserved for the residents. As there will be tension parking-wise, I don't think it will be a good idea to try to park there. I think the only free option is Brevieres.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, I've official clarification of the Tignes free parking situation from a very helpful, English speaking, parking enforcement officer ( I think that's the translation of his title?).

Le Brev - all good, but no buses ever and no lifts until the 14th (ish) Dec. So free parking but no way out of there apart from a taxi until 14th Dec.

1800 - Very limited free parking due to construction and due to concerns already voiced by residents they will be taking a zero tolerance view on anyone parking in unofficial parking areas. He even added that this will be a real problem area in peak times as not enough spaces to cater for demand.

Motor homes, camping cars, converted vans - No parking day or night above 1800 and he did say pre Xmas holidays they don't really enforce this unless someone is really taking the mick, but from 20th onwards they will either not let you park to start with or will move, tow, ticket (however they enforce it?) when they do their evening patrol. I added that last year I saw a few motor homes up there, he replied, not this year!

So that is from the horses mouth, by phone, in English and with much added respect for the fact they took the time to answer.

Hope this helps everyone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The free car park in Tignes les Boisses, never really had many campervans parked there. It had a barrier of 2m, so that excluded most campervans. In addition, the condition of the surface, and the initial steep slope down to the car park, meant most campervans parked in Tignes Val Claret in the past.

I suspect they will all go to Tignes les Breviers now. It makes more sense as it will be less cold there, and less likely to get -20 C nights at that level.

Try Val d'Isere....
ski holidays
Further to my earlier posting, this is what came direct from the cheval's mouth, so to speak, when I e mailed the Tignes tourist office to ask about free parking at Tignes 1800:

Quote:
De Greef, Solange <SDeGreef> 6 Nov 2013

Dear Sir,

There is still a free car park in Tignes 1800 at the same place but a little bit further.

Kind regards,

Solange De Greef
Service Secrétariat Parking

It's slightly odd - as you can't get 'a little bit further' than the parking next to the gondola Puzzled - but I was taking their word for it that there will be free parking....
latest report
It is not next to the gondola, it is on the other side of the road from the Gondola. There is something wrong with your English if you do not understand what he means....

Anyway, it is a chair lift not a gondola...

The bus typically does not run after 8pm in the evening. I have missed it going up several times, and walked up the 5km. Every time I walked up a car would stop and offer me a lift. The same happens on the way back if you walk. I quite liked the walk, as on a clear night the stars would be wonderful to look at. It gets a bit annoying after a while being asked if you want a lift, and having to say "non non non" all the time.

rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy