Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived yesterday, 15 -20 overnight, warm today - +2 in resort so powder was heavy later on in the day but pistes absolutely perfect - and very quiet even today - should be deserted tomorrow!

More snow forecast through the week I think - in short it's about as good as it gets!!! Gressoney really is an unspoilt pearl of a place!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lib-banana wrote:
......... in short it's about as good as it gets!!! Gressoney really is an unspoilt pearl of a place!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes quite right - actually it's brash, over-developed, terrible food and the skiing sucks - don't come here - France is much much better. Honest.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lib-banana, Absolutely. Bad toilets too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heavy snow all day today and still coming down - powder on piste all day and off piste is waist deep in places - low vis and higher winds but an absolutely amazing day again.
Heavy snow is apparently forecast again tomorrow so it could be a ground hog day! If you're coming next week there'll be fantastic conditions and lots of untouched powder I'm sure!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bruisedskier,
+1
You should ask for your lift pass money back. I reckon the EU will have to close the place down at the end of this season for good - it's gotta be some sort of major health risk.
Bad place, bad people, bad food, bad lifts - it should be wiped off the skiing map.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lib-banana, Save us some for half term !!!

What's it like in Gressoney ???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bruisedskier, fabulous little place, great skiing on piste and off!

Snowed last night - another 30cm or so and then cleared up for a shirt while this morning before starting snowing again about 2ish - still snowing now! Still quite warm in resort but snow is great - windy on the top but lifts stayed open today so had a blast over to champoluc which was fantastic although flat light most if the time.

Should be another great day tomorrow!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lib-banana, were there last year, can't wait to get back.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So bluebird day on Thursday but then snowing again last night and very heavy all day today - I'd guess another 30 to 50 cm on the pistes by the end of the day and so quiet I was still riding untracked powder on the piste at 4pm!
Off piste is all filled in and ready to ride - and I'm told more snow due next week!
We've had an amazing week and anyone out next week will do too - and enough snow to last the rest of the season too! Thankyou monte rosa - we'll be back!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lib-banana, 5 days to go Happy

Did you have any problems getting in or out of Gressoney ??
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi guys. Off to Champoluc in 4 weeks and counting down the days. Does anyone have any feedback on ski rental shops? We're only average intermediates, but didn't want really naff equipment. Had a bad experience in Cervinia a couple of years ago, with very dodgy skis. We'll be staying in Rascard Frantze, so something near the Crest lifts would be good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Both the Rent&Play and Tako are fine (we normally send friends to Ivan at Tako (I think he's at Tako... we don't really use the shop names much ... anyway it's the first one you come to ... he has generally a good range of this year's skis including some reasonably high up the ranges))

There is also La Glisse/Rent&Go but I'm not sure if we've used them (of course, I could easily have confused La Glisse with Tako). They're all just below Crest base. There's a 4th, Telemark, just beyond the Sapin restaurant - about which I know nothing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
suggul, +1 for Tako, it's at the bottom of the Crest lift on the roadside with a "Tako" Ski rental sign. I used them as a ski deposit as I was staying out of town earlier in January.

ALSO....... if you're staying up at the Frantze Rascard.......... you lucky thing! What a fantastic spot, you'll love it!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks a lot guys. Tako it is then. Really looking forward to the Rascard Frantze. Never stayed up on the hill before.
snow report
suggul, I ate there a couple of times for lunch earlier this year. Very excellent! You should really enjoy the "up-the-mountain-experience", only reason being that you have to ski past the "Apres-Ski-Bar" to get down to the valley. Usually open midday onwards, it is a veritably peaceful watering hole, instantly recognisable by the boar's backside impaled on the outside wall. BTW,......... the beer's good too. If I was not working as hard as I am, I'd be out there ASAP!
ski holidays
bruisedskier, sorry only just saw your post - no roads were all clear despite the snow - ploughed and gritted every day

Have a good trip!
snow report
Thanks lib-banana,
latest report
Hi all, off to Gressoney on Sunday for 6 days, any updates on conditions?

What would be your 'must do's' for our first visit to the Monterosa area? We will have a car so we can travel.

Also, any ski jire recommendations in Gressoney would be a great help.

Really looking forward to it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
neilkav, looks like there's heaps of snow.

I don't think your car will be much use. Never driven to Gressoney but google tells me it's about an hour down to the motorway before you even think of going anywhere else... I don't, personally, think that Cervinia would be worth the effort.

I like the look of www.extreme-sport.it/ if only because they rent out Stöcklis and they rent out avvy kit as well.

"Must do"? - if you find youselves above Champoluc then the Frantze is a very nice lunch spot. Above Alagna La Baita and the Grande Halte are also very charming for lunches. Most mountain restaurants are fine, can't think of any to avoid. I don't know any of the Gressoney hamlets at all I'm afraid.
snow report
suggul wrote:
Really looking forward to the Rascard Frantze. Never stayed up on the hill before.

Might see you there, and remember you can't tell anyone! shhhhhh Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Just booking Gressoney - Hotel Nordend - for week from 15 March.
Any SHs out that week ?
snow report
under a new name,

Thanks for the info, we will almost certainly stay in the Monterosa, looks like loads to keep us happy for 5 days

Will try extreme sport, and the restaurants will be a definite!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
under a new name wrote:
There's a 4th, Telemark, just beyond the Sapin restaurant - about which I know nothing.

We've used them a couple of times and they've been excellent - friendly, helpful, and a good range of well cared for skis. At least, that was true in 2010-11, and I imagine it still is now, unless the place has changed hands.

However, I agree with the above posters that it's a completely rubbish area which people should just stay away from. We've been there every year for the last 5 years, and it's shown no sign of improvement wink. I like the social aspect of chatting to people in lift queues, and the Monterosa area is useless for that.
snow conditions
J2R wrote:
......... and the Monterosa area is useless for that.

And especially if you want hugely overpriced cafeteria food........., and tasteless beers. Toofy Grin
snow report
How snow sure is the area? looks lovely
snow conditions
JackSkier, never gets any snow. To be accurate, the piste skiing is pretty well cannoned up - as much due to the winds as anything else. Off piste can be very variable, needs quite a quantity to cover rocks up. This season unusually good.
ski holidays
I've heard about it not being snow sure, but it's been fine every time I've been there (last 5 years) - I may just have been lucky. But this year has been exceptional, I believe, one of the best ever seasons for snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay so it's not really a resort you want to book very early? Best to book late to make sure you will have good snow? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
If you're only on piste in particular, it's so well cannoned that it's always (more or less) fine.
ski holidays
Awesome 3 days so far in gressonay
Blue skies and very warm but super spring snow in the right places
Guide today - balme to alagna, salte to gressonay and and another from indrawn through the valley and ten through trees to staffal
Skin to lost valley tomorrow and Heliski to zermatt on Thursday
Life is good !
ski holidays
PBJ, sounds nice.

We had the usual excellent supper in Le Sapin (Champoluc) on Sunday ( thanks, Franco & crew) and a very pleasant zip around yesterday.

Very bumpy down from Punta Indren as you would expect, pistes in fine shape, just rather too many (I think Scandies) travelling way too fast off the Col. If you can't stop within visible distance, chaps, etc.
ski holidays
Rather a nice day around Champoluc. Perfect spring conditions some cumulus clouding an otherwise blue ski. Still amazing quantities of snow in protected areas. Eric's new bar/resto l'Aroula just off Ostafa was excellent although he could have mentioned the fresh spring lamb before we'd ordered and eaten.

So table booked at le Sapin and a hope that we'll have lamb there Cool
latest report
Quote:

he could have mentioned the fresh spring lamb before we'd ordered and eaten.

oh dash it!
snow conditions
pam w, wink yeah, well, y'know, first world problems and all that ...
snow conditions
And another rather nice morning today before some excellent tuna steaks with cardamom and agrumes sauce chez Andreone.

A bit colder but all good. Some excellent high speed hooning around the Col and Gressoney.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy